**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Is this game becoming too difficult and frustrating (and not fun anymore) for the average summoner?

Comments

• GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,189 ★★★★★
    The reality is it will be more effort for some than others, depending on what they have experience with, where they're at, what they're working with, etc.
  • RapRap Posts: 3,193 ★★★★
    It is possible to beat content without units...someone said they dropped 500 units to beat the collector...it took me 500 units total (all for energy) to complete 2/3rds of act 4 in a week...i cannot imagine spending that much to take down a single boss once!

Nobody should have spent that many units on the Fury event. The paths are so short that restarting and getting some practice in is far more beneficial and economical.

These posts are endless, but honestly more often than not it is on the player. If you dropped a bunch of units trying to smash through content you couldn’t handle, then that is your own fault.

I farm. I save. I do arena. I collect boosts. I’ve spent time and effort building my roster. I currently have over 100 potions in the stash. Why? Because I prepare for difficult content, and like to minimize my losses.

Challenging content is why I play the game. If you can’t do it, then you can’t do it. Plain and simple.

I mean, I get both sides. I see some truth in this as well. The OP has the right to be heard. If they feel it was too much, that's their experience, and they can say that. I also agree with this. It's hard to walk away sometimes when you're frustrated and trying to push through, but you have to know when to gauge for yourself whether it's worth it or not. It's much easier for me to weigh the Rewards for the effort than it is to go broke on Units.
    I’d be lying if I said that I haven’t gotten stubborn and frustrated and tried to smash through stuff while spending way more than I should’ve, but I never blamed the game. It was very clear to me that I was at fault. Some really tough battles threw me off my game, and I got sucked in. This is an experience that I’ve tried to learn from. Hence, the intense preparation. I never wanna get backed into a corner again. That’s on me.
    Oh God. Every Master I did on my old device. Thousands of Units over months because of lag and stubbornness. I'm more apt to stop and consider it now. My old mentality was to push through no matter what. Now I'm less likely to go for broke unless it's worth it for me.
    Side note, I just saw the updated Device List. Turns out my Tablet was on the list of Incompatibles. Who knew?
  • imaginejimimaginejim Posts: 333 ★★
    And sometimes, this is where the RPG elements come into the game. I was resigned to not completing the final path (with Thing) on the Epic difficultty because Thing is a thorn in my side. Then someone on my alliance clued me into the fact that Black Widow makes him easy. I had her sitting at 3/30 and ranked her up. I completed the final path with only one team revive on Nick Fury. No other boosts. It was hard, but before that, it was frustrating that I couldn't figure it out. So I was going to just let it go. These boards are great ways to get tips on how to do things, but clamoring for all the content to be made easier is a very close-minded and self-centered view. This game is made for and played by millions around the world. The content has to spread that wealth of playing levels and experience. Sometimes, the content isn't too hard, sometimes you just may not have the team to do it, either from a strength or match-up perspective. I hope this has helped. I know if you were only looking for validation to your original post, these responses haven't been what you have been looking for, but hopefully you will see that the entirety of the game is not meant to be for your current level in the game.
    Nas101 said:

Alright I'll stop venting my frustration here. Thank you all for your views and comments. We do have a great community here. And I'll work more on my meditation :)

I get it. We all get frustrated. That's what I'm trying to remind everyone else. We've all been there. No one finds everything easy. I don't buy that. Lol.
  • RapRap Posts: 3,193 ★★★★
    Utlimately that is the game for me...do it with as little as possible. It seems the majority approach is "get through it whatever it takes!" I plan well in advance, make sure the supplies are maxed before i go and i haven't drop a unit for a revive since i started playing solo...and ultimately if it looks like the boss is trying to get jos hands on my units i sometimes end it and come back later with a champ that will keep his hands out of my pocket! So sometimes levels seem hard the first time...but i never play them the same twice..i adjust...so no doesn't seem any harder lately..
  • mbracembrace Posts: 821 ★★★
    I did find each recon boss fight to be a unit trap, especially the kingpin stun immune fight and the arbitrary “unblockable just to make it harder” nick fury fight. The best thing I can say to that is that Epic difficulty might not be meant for “the average summoner”. It would be nice if it was though, since every current player is desperate to get more 5* awakening gems. On that note, Kabam, aren’t we due for you to sell a 5* AG again? All I got was a lousy mystic gem that I didn’t need from the recon quests. I still need about 3-4 other classes bad.
  • LethalProtectorLethalProtector Posts: 76
    I liked being challenged by Fury's difficulty. That was before he used his LMD ability.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,552 Guardian
    Nas101 said:

So why is Kabam focusing on the top 1% and ignoring the majority?

I think you're confused about who the 1% is and who the majority are. First of all, I suspect the majority of all players of the game are playing at the heroic difficulty or lower. Just a couple of years ago master level was the top tier of the game: it is highly unlikely that the average player shifted past heroic to master. People sometimes get stuck into thinking that every player in the game started on day one, and thus all of them should have four years of progress. But people keep joining and leaving the game: the average player is likely only a little farther along today than they were a year or two ago.

My rough guestimate is that about 20% of the playerbase is playing at master or higher level. And of those players, I suspect over half of them are playing at or near the level of difficult consistent with their abilities. In other words, over half the players that do masters and stop are comfortable there, and over half the players that do uncollected are comfortable there. So less than 10% of the playerbase is having any large difficulty doing what they are attempting to do.

Of those players, I'd say about half are fine with things being difficult. In every game I've played, the ratio of those that want things harder and those that want things easier has tended to be split about 50/50, which is not a coincidence: that's how game operators try to balance the difficulty of their games. So as a rough guestimate, probably less than 5% of the playerbase is engaging in difficulty levels that are above their ability to complete *and* aren't enjoyably challenged by that fact.

*Of those players* not all of them would be helped by any reasonably likely tweak to difficulty. Some of those players want things to be much easier than the game can practically allow at higher tiers. It is harder to say what percentage that is, but it is a significant percentage of them. So you're probably looking at maybe 1-3% of all players that are having problems with difficulty that they cannot overcome and aren't enjoyably challenged by, and have any chance of being helped. And to help those players, all we have to do is change the relative difficulty of the game for the other 97-99% of players.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,552 Guardian
    Nas101 said:

Nas101 said:

Lormif said:

Nas101 said:

I'm by no means an end game player, but I finished all those missions for maybe 90 units? Those were spent on energy containers, because I was impatient mind you.

Most people tend to get extremely defensive, when it comes to this, but this sounds like a skill issue, moreso than like a difficulty issue.

How much do you think have your skills improved over the course of the last few months? There will always be new game mechanics or new variations and combinations of existing ones to pose new and unknown challenges. Being able to anticipate is key here.

To be honest, I absolutely disagree with the idea that the game became more difficult.

Because you have the skills needed to beat him. But most of the players don't. That is what I'm trying to say. They are making it so difficult that only expert players (skill wise not rating wise) can complete them.
    1) I am not an expert player, a good player, but an not an expert player, my intercepts are only about 70% of the time.

2) you are saying they are making it so only expert players can beat epic difficulty without units and somehow that is a bad thing? You are pointing our your own problems, you are expecting to be able to do the hardest content easily, as in no units, while only being an average player.
    1) ofcourse it's my own problem. I get frustrated by these annoying poor game designs
    2) ofcourse it's a bad thing. cash grab fiesta is definitely a bad thing
    1. It isn't poor game design. It is game design meant to appeal to players at different levels. Just because you or another average player are not at the level or skill to be able to beat every bit of content, doesn't mean the game is designed bad. Again, this is good game design. For the longest time, I could only beat the Heroic EQ, and Master wrecked me. Now, Master is easy and I can complete but not fully explore Uncollected EQ. As I get better and my roster gets better, I will be able to do that and maybe finish Act 5, Start Act 6, do variant, what have you. The game has to appeal to players at all levels and provide content for players at all levels. What if everything moving forward was as easy as beginner or normal EQ? You'd get bored. But newer players may still not be able to beat that level of content, so maybe they come on the boards and say, "HEY, normal level is too hard. Make the game easier for me otherwise this is just bad game design!"

2. It is only a cash grab Fiesta if you are unable to complete harder content, aren't ready to accept that yet, and try to buy your way through the content.

There is difference between "hard" and "frustrating"
    Yes there is, and there's five levels of difficulty. Play the "easy" ones, stop when it gets "hard" and do not attempt "frustrating."
  • BoegotaBoegota Posts: 51
    @Nas101 I too am a mid level player and I've only completed up to heroic on all four weeks of the Nick Fury Intel event and have no plans to go further and I'm OK with that.

I tried to attempt the Master difficulty and failed both times on weeks one and two. I didn't bother to spend any of the units I purchased for revival and heal potions in the attempt to keep going as I was saving those for the unique crystals of this event so I could get my hands on unique two stars that I've missed out on from the past when I wasn't playing or before I started playing.

So far I've gotten my hands on about 11 new unique two stars and I'm tickled pink with that! My current goal in the Contest at where I'm at is to just reign supreme in the two star arena. Slowly creep forward in the three star arena as I slowly increase more and more of my three stars to max level. Slowly increase what four stars I have towards max level as I slowly obtain the resources for them such as T4CCs and T4BCs so that I can continue my progress towards 100% clear of Act IV and that's it for now!

And that's all that's supposed to be it and I'm fine with that and you should be too, it's what's available to us for what our rosters and skill are capable of. We do what is within the realm of what we can do and just build up slowly over time. Master and above is supposed to be hard and supposed to be frustrating for us as difficult as that is to accept but accept it we must! We are limited it Heroic since for what we have Heroic is our current Roof. We'll eventually get better to where we can start doing Master level difficulty but that will require both time and patience!

Now, I did have one objection with how they jumped right from having three stars on the line and a four star boss in Heroic to having all awakened five stars on the line and a really beefed up five star at the end for Master. I've already complained that the jump was unwarranted since the natural progression should've been to go from three star to four star opponents on the line when going from Heroic to Master but I got no response from the developers about that. Thus, because I'm not the one making the game, all I can do is bring up my concerns about the jump from Heroic to Master being a bit on the extreme side, having said concern not be address and as a result of that, simply be happy for now that my roof is at Heroic and that's where you should be at too.

Sorry to all of the rest of you for going off on this bit of a tangent but I felt I had to defend the notion that we do have content that is designed for those of us "stuck in the middle" so to speak and we should be content with what we can do and not cry about what we can't do.

Thanks for reading.
    My personal friend Apocalypse has said this on occasion: ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE. People whining takes the meaning of the game away. It's the quest to get better, to work for everything you have, not to whine on forums because of entitlement. I'll admit, I occasionally get frustrated and complain, but I realize I can learn from my frustrations. Challenge is Good.
  • MavRCK_MavRCK_ Posts: 467 ★★★
    Come on... earning 2-3 5* crystals a month if you’re hardcore for that less than 1% chance at the champion you want is FUN! /sarcasm
  • RaiserRaiser Posts: 424 ★★
    No...
  • HerrPopopHerrPopop Posts: 185
    After I got my ps4 yesterday I've only logged into the game for calendar rewards
  • gforcefangforcefan Posts: 381 ★★★
    The design of Nick Fury quest was frustrating because it depended so highly on your roster. You can say, well a better roster deserves something...
    But I'm uncollected, making my way to Elder's Bane. I finished the first three weeks. The alchemist was super easy for my squad.
    However, this week, I just did not have the roster. My 4*s did so little damage to him. I spent far too many units to beat NF but after doing the first 3 weeks, I felt I had to.
    Now, in reality I did not "have to" finish it, but either way would have been really frustrating. The original poster did not say the quest was impossible, but frustrating and not fun.
  • Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★
    What bothers me is the "suggested team champion rating". For master difficulty it was 12,500, so you need a team with minimum 2,500's champion rating or 4* 3/30. That's just a joke. This was clearly 25,500 difficulty. I just find it so sad because Kabam deceives players. They should really nerf master difficulty.

What bothers me is the "suggested team champion rating". For master difficulty it was 12,500, so you need a team with minimum 2,500's champion rating or 4* 3/30. That's just a joke. This was clearly 25,500 difficulty. I just find it so sad because Kabam deceives players. They should really nerf master difficulty.

I don't think the goal was to decieve, it was to challenge the player's skill. Just because something is hard and challenging does not mean it should be nerfed. Event quests such as this are meant to simply hand us something to work for. I think many are missing this point.
    Boegota said:

Now, I did have one objection with how they jumped right from having three stars on the line and a four star boss in Heroic to having all awakened five stars on the line and a really beefed up five star at the end for Master. I've already complained that the jump was unwarranted since the natural progression should've been to go from three star to four star opponents on the line when going from Heroic to Master but I got no response from the developers about that. Thus, because I'm not the one making the game, all I can do is bring up my concerns about the jump from Heroic to Master being a bit on the extreme side, having said concern not be address and as a result of that, simply be happy for now that my roof is at Heroic and that's where you should be at too.

Sorry to all of the rest of you for going off on this bit of a tangent but I felt I had to defend the notion that we do have content that is designed for those of us "stuck in the middle" so to speak and we should be content with what we can do and not cry about what we can't do.

Thanks for reading.

^That. Something feels off these days with the difficulties. If I would start playing now, I wouldn't be able to complete Heroic difficulty with only maxed out 3* and tops some 4* 3/30. I simply couldn't without burning through units. Kabam releases god tier champions at a quick rate and puts them as end bosses on nodes that is just asking for players to get wrecked. Like seriously, Villainy node for like an 8k Ultron when you can only use hero champions? That's freakin hard for Heroic difficulty. The result is that the natural progression of the game stops, as players go in a state of limbo. Normal is clearly too easy but they can't go higher. The same problem with Master difficulty. Do I really need rank 3 5* or higher to complete that content?
    gforcefan said:

The design of Nick Fury quest was frustrating because it depended so highly on your roster. You can say, well a better roster deserves something...
    But I'm uncollected, making my way to Elder's Bane. I finished the first three weeks. The alchemist was super easy for my squad.
    However, this week, I just did not have the roster. My 4*s did so little damage to him. I spent far too many units to beat NF but after doing the first 3 weeks, I felt I had to.
    Now, in reality I did not "have to" finish it, but either way would have been really frustrating. The original poster did not say the quest was impossible, but frustrating and not fun.

Yeah, if you limit the roster than the difficulty has to drop as you need to take into account people don't have the necessary champions at full strength. Yeah, this might be Kabam's way to push you into buying crystals and level-up other than the usual suspects, but don't troll us with crystals that give 2* and bosses that clearly requires that one god tier champion. This isn't fun, it is frustrating.
  • SDPSDP Posts: 1,622 ★★★★

Boegota said:

Thanks for reading.

^That. Something feels off these days with the difficulties. If I would start playing now, I wouldn't be able to complete Heroic difficulty with only maxed out 3* and tops some 4* 3/30. I simply couldn't without burning through units. Kabam releases god tier champions at a quick rate and puts them as end bosses on nodes that is just asking for players to get wrecked. Like seriously, Villainy node for like an 8k Ultron when you can only use hero champions? That's freakin hard for Heroic difficulty. The result is that the natural progression of the game stops, as players go in a state of limbo. Normal is clearly too easy but they can't go higher. The same problem with Master difficulty. Do I really need rank 3 5* or higher to complete that content?
    Actually, you probably should have some 5/50s or 3/45s for Master. Kinda seems like that’s the level it’s designed for.

It did seem like a bit of a leap from one to the next though. I don’t know. I’ve never really had an issue with this. Early on I suppose I boosted the hell out of my team, and stocked up on items to get through some difficult content. Had to struggle through that for a bit. Did a lot of research. But after I became Uncollected and struggled through a couple spendy EQs I kinda broke through the barrier so to speak.
  • Ryuichi_01Ryuichi_01 Posts: 123
    I am also an average player. With some mediocre good champs. But if I ever stumble upon a difficult quest/event that I know I can't do and will waste units, I would stop and just wait to get more champs or maybe the skills (or guts) to continue. Just try to chill if u can't do a fight or boss.
  • 1_ShuNeu_11_ShuNeu_1 Posts: 375 ★★★
    The intensity of the defenders has definitely gone up
    My r5/65s have issue doing some end uncollected bosses
    I definitely feel the pulling teethe aspects of the game are ruining the fun for me
  • XulanderXulander Posts: 13
    Nick Fury and Kingpin Epic were both easy for me using 4 star champs. Captain Marvel Uncollected was a nightmare! Starting the fight in Binary with Indestructible, 1 bar of power, Unblockable Sp1 that fires with little visual warning...
  • Frivolousz21Frivolousz21 Posts: 438 ★★★

I'm by no means an end game player, but I finished all those missions for maybe 90 units? Those were spent on energy containers, because I was impatient mind you.

Most people tend to get extremely defensive, when it comes to this, but this sounds like a skill issue, moreso than like a difficulty issue.

How much do you think have your skills improved over the course of the last few months? There will always be new game mechanics or new variations and combinations of existing ones to pose new and unknown challenges. Being able to anticipate is key here.

To be honest, I absolutely disagree with the idea that the game became more difficult.

Will you post a screen shot of your top champs
  • BenQcSlayerBenQcSlayer Posts: 867 ★★★
    To go through the epic difficulty, you gotta to develop some skills, not all nodes are easy there. And yes you got to spend some units also to revive and go after rewards.

I agree when players point out that the Realization of some quest depends largely of your roster, now more than ever before.

My point is you can have units by grinding the arena’s if you don’t want to put in the $$.

And if you consider yourself an average player, you can get better, by joining alliances that do AQ and AW at a level higher than what you are used to. over there you will meet experienced players that could help you with your gameplay.

I use to be an average player, in mediocre alliance, I am now in a Gold1 alliance, we do full AQ5, and I started taking on the miniboss, for practice.

The help And support I get from all the top players is huge in my development, and even if I rarely get top tier 5*, I enjoy this game a lot more.