**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

How do you control your ego in game?

MMCskippyMMCskippy Posts: 352 ★★
There are a lot of people in this forum that know their limitations and there are a lot of people that will just throw a ton of items and units at an in-game challenge if they can't finish it.

For me, I found that being in the latter group was all about my own ego. I wanted to find the way to beat the current challenge.

Now I'm trying to switch into the first group of wise players that know themselves.

I thought a thread with suggestions on how to know your limits...

Some of the older measuring sticks aren't holding up anymore (WS in LoL).

How do you know if you can take on Uncollected Fury without spending 500 credits?

I'm thinking this thread would be really valuable with examples of who you fight in what game mode... Whether it's RoL Rhulk or an up front champ in Variant of Ultron's challenge, I think real examples will help more people learn their limits and then have an idea on what it takes to grow their skills.

Comments

• Spurgeon14Spurgeon14 Posts: 1,665 ★★★★
    With Fury, if you have beaten the other weeks and can beat Uncollected ok I think you should be good enough. If you don't have any revives at all, a team revive should be enough to beat it. I had some revives already acquired so I just used some of those. I think I used 5 single revives total to take him down both times.
    DNA3000 said:

MMCskippy said:

How do you know if you can take on Uncollected Fury without spending 500 credits?

If you beat him without spending 500 units, then you know.

In all seriousness, I think the most important lesson a player can learn when it comes to trying to figure out what their limits are is to recognize that energy costs less than health. Energy is the cheapest thing in the game to buy. 30 units for a full energy refill, and occasionally you can buy six for 150 units when that special comes along. Most paths in most monthly events are less than 70 energy long, so you can always try a path and see if you can do it without spending on potions or revives, and if you can't all you've lost is the time (which isn't a total loss, as it is good practice either way) and probably a few units worth of energy.

I practiced for two months before tackling RoL. I'm still practicing to see if I can finish Variant without spending - I go in, I see how far I can get without spending any resources, and then I back out when I'm dead. I know I can just spend through it, but I want to play my way through instead, and I have all the time in the world.

People are always asking if they are "ready" for Act 4, Act 5, Uncollected difficulty, RoL, LoL, Variant, Act 6. It only costs a few units to find out for yourself. If you try, not only will you know if you are ready or not, if you're not you'll know in precisely what way you aren't ready yet.

I think you have the right idea, in the sense that actually testing yourself in particular fights is the best way to know what your limits are. But I think the best one to test yourself in is the next one. Whichever fight is the next one in the content you want to do, that's the one you should be practicing next.
    What I want to know is if people don't use their resources on harder content, do they just let it all expire?
  • KpatrixKpatrix Posts: 1,055 ★★★
    You can always use it in item use if you don’t need them instead of just letting them expire.
  • MMCskippyMMCskippy Posts: 352 ★★
    edited March 2019
    I use the @KinkyWizard1 method personally... I think what I'm finding is that I don't have enough time to do the practice needed using this method on the monthly maps. With the rise of 100-200 hit bosses or bosses you have to have true patience with... I need to scale back my expectations just based on the time I have available to play.

Right now, the intel missions are about all I can muster up the time for practice runs and that all ended with Epic unstunnable KP for me... I haven't looked at the final boss yet, but if it's Mordo... I'll just not complete Epic for the last couple of weeks. In Epic, I can get to KP with a roster of untouched champs and his weird aggressive heavies throw me. And I can't figure out when to charge my heavy when I'm evading the L1. I feel like I side step at the right time and to a good place, but his L1 slide goes crazy and he reaches me. I think I'm charging the heavy too soon, but I only get about 10 chances to practice on that move at his level, 5 if I'm unlucky.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    Spurgeo14 said:

DNA3000 said:

MMCskippy said:

In all seriousness, I think the most important lesson a player can learn when it comes to trying to figure out what their limits are is to recognize that energy costs less than health. Energy is the cheapest thing in the game to buy. 30 units for a full energy refill, and occasionally you can buy six for 150 units when that special comes along. Most paths in most monthly events are less than 70 energy long, so you can always try a path and see if you can do it without spending on potions or revives, and if you can't all you've lost is the time (which isn't a total loss, as it is good practice either way) and probably a few units worth of energy.

I practiced for two months before tackling RoL. I'm still practicing to see if I can finish Variant without spending - I go in, I see how far I can get without spending any resources, and then I back out when I'm dead. I know I can just spend through it, but I want to play my way through instead, and I have all the time in the world.

People are always asking if they are "ready" for Act 4, Act 5, Uncollected difficulty, RoL, LoL, Variant, Act 6. It only costs a few units to find out for yourself. If you try, not only will you know if you are ready or not, if you're not you'll know in precisely what way you aren't ready yet.

I think you have the right idea, in the sense that actually testing yourself in particular fights is the best way to know what your limits are. But I think the best one to test yourself in is the next one. Whichever fight is the next one in the content you want to do, that's the one you should be practicing next.
    What I want to know is if people don't use their resources on harder content, do they just let it all expire?
    When I have stuff in overflow, I tend to be more profligate with item use. And to be honest, sometimes I am selling smaller potions that I can't use, to prevent them from expiring valueless.
  • HENRIQUE_FORTEHENRIQUE_FORTE Posts: 348 ★★
    There are quests that I think the rewards are worth the effort and I make a push for it, regardless of units: becoming Uncollected (800 units on my first fight with Collector alone), Elder Bane (around 300 units each path on 5.4.6.) or Cavalier (1000 units in total, not as bad as I thought).

Then there is content I test before deciding if I go for it. Master Thanos gave me a hard time, so I skipped Uncollected, Crazy Guillotine and Darkhawk On Steroids also made me not 100% Uncolected, Ice Phoenix made me not even try. For instance, these Nick Fury assignments, I lack good champions for those and after trying 2 or 3 times decided to skip epic, decided rewards were not worth the units I'd spent.

• Sixshot1Sixshot1 Posts: 459 ★★
    Energy refills are cheaper than revives, and we get more for free.

Practice, and if you aren't making progress, that might be your limit.
  • DTMelodicMetalDTMelodicMetal Posts: 2,785 ★★★★★
    Spurgeo14 said:

Use those resources during the alliance item use event. Quit fights during catalyst quest runs so you can use revives and potions you otherwise would've gotten change for.
  • Ivanka_HumpalotIvanka_Humpalot Posts: 51
    edited March 2019
    There is a lot to this game and tons and tons and tons of content that scales according to how much you have played and grown and some people have been playing this game now for 3+ years so obviously a big range.

I'm comfortable knowing that I am better than most people playing this game and sometimes I can handle challenges that are obviously designed for players with much more robust accounts and/or much deeper pockets than myself. But at the same time, I'm also comfortable walking away from a challenge if it's just too much above where I am. I just finished my first run through Labyrinth of Legends with about 1500 units I grinded out myself from arena, that was pretty satisfying, but I'm not in a rush to fully explore it. It depresses me the way people play games these days where they expect everything to immediately be easy or else just cheat or spend their way through it without getting better. Back when I was growing up, in the era of Donkey Kong, Ghosts n Goblins, Contra 3 and so on, games were often f'ing impossible and there was no way to spend your way to an easier time (unless you got a game genie which would inevitably ruin all the fun), you just had to get good. But now it seems like the experience isn't so much about practicing and getting better at a skill but more just about collecting a bunch of meaningless baubles endlessly endlessly endlessly clicking on trinkets opening crystals and mindlessly going through the motions over and over to build up your account. That can be rewarding, too, I guess, but I feel like the old gamer experience was a lot better. Less addictive but ultimately more satisfying.

Anyway I've been a free 2 play player ever since one extremely bad customer service experience that Kabam never did anything even remotely adequate to respond to, back about a year + ago... before that I used to spend a lot.. but now... just gotta know my limits, understand that not all content is necessarily for me, and go with the flow which is fine, too.
  • WOKWOK Posts: 468 ★★
    When I started playing, I played quests with the only requirement to be that I quit if I ran out of gathered pots and revives and start over or quit till the next session compels me.
    Trust me when I say there have been numerous times where I agonizingly clicked exit when the boss only had just hundreds or much less hp to go. And on the flip side, there have been numerous times where I would find myself running through the 1st few milestones in each arena to try and get units to revive one last time when I barely made a dent or had like 8 more defenders to go when I had only gotten passed 2 or 3 to that point.
    Most important for me is that I try my best to not get trapped in that space where I get frustrated because of a lag or unresponsive move or just my plain inability to get past something etc... And start thinking to myself starting with the words "that's BS", which levels into getting angry then to anxiety then finally to disgust(I'm sure there's some that can relate to this). The moment I start losing fun, I just turn it off and find something to read.
  • WOKWOK Posts: 468 ★★
    Spurgeo14 said:

DNA3000 said:

MMCskippy said:

For some reason or another, I never run into that problem. LOL, it seems I'm always short on resources. Honestly, a weeks worth of popping dailies for level 3 pots is good for what, approx. 50% of one 5/50's hp? Stuff goes by quick not to mention those instances where I've had to waste a 40%revive to knock off 30hp to finish.
    And it seems funny to me that once in a while when Kabam blesses us with stuff, there's pot levels and revives that are unavailable like 6500hp pots, 65% revives, single alliance revives. What's with that anyway?
  • RagamugginGunnerRagamugginGunner Posts: 2,210 ★★★★★
    Spurgeo14 said:

DNA3000 said:

MMCskippy said:

Yes. I have pots and revives expire all the time. It's supper annoying once new hard content comes out and you actually need them.
  • WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★
    Variant and some of the act 6 paths are pretty good ego checks. That and high tier AW path 5
  • John757John757 Posts: 1,085 ★★★
    I control my ego by telling myself that I suck and then when I play I’m an underdog and everyone loves an underdog. So as the underdog it’s my job to beat the content to give everyone that great feeling of watching David beat Goliath.

Spurgeo14 said:

DNA3000 said:

MMCskippy said:

Yes. I have pots and revives expire all the time. It's supper annoying once new hard content comes out and you actually need them.
    Yeah, I just wonder because I collect a lot pots and pans and revives and definitely don't need all of them so a lot of them go to waste unfortunately. ISO is the worst because getting champs worth ranking vs the amount of ISO you get its impossible to use. I've sold so much ISO in this game.
  • RapRap Posts: 3,193 ★★★★
    Just don't be dead set on taking him out if he starts gobbling supplies...
    FIND THE COURAGE TO FAIL once in a while!
    Edison made 100s of lightbulbs before he got one to stay on more than a few seconds...learn retreat...return. energy is easy to get...the other supplies not so much!
    True free play requires patience...something that seems in short supply here sometimes.
  • DshuDshu Posts: 1,503 ★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

MMCskippy said:

The other good thing about using this method to test yourself is that it let's you see were your teams are lacking. Rather than throwing units and pots at a quest you can look at the champs you have and rank up different options to tackle new content. Also when looking at rankup options dont just use the God tier list. While those champs are great you want to make sure you are covering all the basic counters you will need for questing. Think. Do you have a poison or bleed immunity champ a power control champ, a buff counter champ. Sometimes you may want to hold off on that God tier rankup for a week to keep your teams balanced. Also dont get overconfident and think just because you beat previous content all future content should be doable. Some content requires very deep rosters to beat without becoming a resource drain.
    It takes more thought, more planning, more patience, and thicker skin! Don't messure yourself against your mates either...i am not as far into the end game as others...but i have gotten where i am completely on my own efforts, without spending, alliance currencies, alliance bonuses, and for the first 2 years, as a solo player, no access to t4bc, t4cc, alphas, or 5 star shards...and i am nipping at the tops heals! So...yeah you can do it bro!
  • DarthHaasDarthHaas Posts: 385 ★★
    I feel like all content in this game is beatable without any $$. Just depends on skill, champs, luck, etc... some days I can beat any fight in the game with ease, but most of the time I struggle. For me I love the challenge. I restart harder content hundreds of times. Example is the maze. I made it my goal to one shot Korg. Good god I died probably 300x before I did it. Nice part is (while I didn’t explore the maze for the “awesome” rewards) now whenever we have a korg as boss or I run into one on AW I destroy him. So I actually liked they released the maze just for practice sake. An event that I thought was worthless for me in progression was gwenpool goes to the movies (ya rewards it was good but that’s it)
  • Marri_2Marri_2 Posts: 577 ★★★
    MMCskippy said:

There are a lot of people in this forum that know their limitations and there are a lot of people that will just throw a ton of items and units at an in-game challenge if they can't finish it.

For me, I found that being in the latter group was all about my own ego. I wanted to find the way to beat the current challenge.

Now I'm trying to switch into the first group of wise players that know themselves.

I thought a thread with suggestions on how to know your limits...

Some of the older measuring sticks aren't holding up anymore (WS in LoL).

I'm thinking this thread would be really valuable with examples of who you fight in what game mode... Whether it's RoL Rhulk or an up front champ in Variant of Ultron's challenge, I think real examples will help more people learn their limits and then have an idea on what it takes to grow their skills.

1. I know my limitations very well
    2. I sometimes throw units for revives in because I want to finish a quest and I made a devastating mistake and I don't want to restart the whole quest. Doesn't mean I'm boosting my ego (if anything, every time I have to revive my ego is dented)
    3. I learn my limitations by failing at my limit
    4. I overcome my limitations by restarting, trying different setups, reading nodes, knowing my champs' abilities and their potential interactions with obstacles, watching tutorials etc. Knowledge is power.
  • shadow_lurker22shadow_lurker22 Posts: 3,243 ★★★★★

This one ^
    Kingpin in Nick Fury's quest is currently putting me to the ego test.

I don't have 5*s with high enough damage to make a big enough dent in him to warrant reviving.

I have 4* 5/50 versions of Stark, Venom, reg Spidey and Agent Venom and they don't generate the damage I need with heavies.

I have 5* Rhino at 3/45 and 5* GG at 2/35 as other options that just aren't doing the damage.

I do appreciate the practice, but Epic Fury only took me a reasonable number of items... KP is kicking my ass.
    This is the first time I’ve been able to practice through something (but I still spent units).

I just kept running through KP and now I hate him less. I really hated when I launched specials at him and think I had the drop on him and he’d just start his heavy animation half way through a special. There must be big enough breaks in Venom’s L1 for the AI to start charging a heavy and with the buffs on that node it didn’t matter.
  • xNigxNig Posts: 7,245 ★★★★★
    MMCskippy said:

This is the first time I’ve been able to practice through something (but I still spent units).

I just kept running through KP and now I hate him less. I really hated when I launched specials at him and think I had the drop on him and he’d just start his heavy animation half way through a special. There must be big enough breaks in Venom’s L1 for the AI to start charging a heavy and with the buffs on that node it didn’t matter.

I managed to take him down with a 4* 3/30 Miles Morales on an alt using just heavies. He is very easy to bait to throw his heavies (just evade a few times and let him get near you), which you can counter with your heavy which has 500% additional damage. Similarly, after his sp1 animation, there’s a window that you can heavy him.
    I was having trouble with his extra aggressiveness. And if I'm really honest, I don't think I've ever really mastered using a touch screen as a controller. When you started playing video games on an Atari 2600, you don't realize how much you need actual buttons for feedback. My timing for heavies has always been poor. I hold too long for them. I'm pretty sure I'm not watching my champ's animation to see when they are getting into the "charging" stance and then letting the heavy fly.

This was a good fight to practice them on for sure.