**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
We have not set an end-date for the new period, but we will update this banner when we have more information.

Community Discussion - Mind Control, Evil Twins, and Clones, Oh My!

edited April 2019 in General Discussion
Greetings Summoners,

For those of you who haven’t completed The Living Death Who Walks event quest, beware spoilers below.

This month’s event quest featured a turn of events that few would’ve thought possible: Johnny Storm, a founding member of the Fantastic Four, a hero, and an all-around good guy getting in touch with his inner-villain! (To be fair, few could spend half a lifetime in the Negative Zone being corrupted by the Cosmic Control Rod and come out unscathed.)

But this is far from the first time a hero or villain has switched sides like this. Between mind control, clones, and genuine changes of heart, Marvel’s history is filled with good guys taking heel turns and former villains taking up the fight for justice.

One of my favorite of these examples of this is when Otto Octavius, Doctor Octopus himself, became Spider-Man!

Spoilers Below:
What started out as an attempt to extend his life by transferring his mind into Peter Parker’s body, turned into him wanting to best his nemesis in every way possible. The best way for him to do so was to not only be a better Peter Parker, but to also be a better, superior Spider-Man. While he still had some villainous habits in the way he went about being a hero (the guy loves to monologue), he did genuinely come to appreciate how hard Peter’s life was and care about protecting people and the city.

So Summoners, I want to know, are there any heroes or villains who have shocked you when they switched sides? Or were there any heroes who broke your heart when they went to bat for the bad guys? Let us know in the comments!

Comments

• JustAnotherDudeJustAnotherDude Posts: 61
    Isn't that the comic that Doc. Oc realized that Peter has been holding back when he faced off against him, as when he threw an all out punch and completely obliterated a random villain. Or is that a different comic?
  • Clobberin_TimeClobberin_Time Posts: 88

I think the biggest one for me is when Captain America was revealed to be a Hydra agent in the Secret Empire series. I was shook.

Fun fact about the design of Hydra Captain America: It was directly inspired by MCoC’s Civil warrior, and there’s even a Hot Topic version of the Civil Warrior funko pop depicting him as the evil Captain America from the Secret Empire series.
  • Clobberin_TimeClobberin_Time Posts: 88
    On the personal side, I’m a huge fan of the Puppet Master and the manipulative flesh-clay he uses to turn heroes into villains! However, this clay was put to some really interesting use in the Fantastic Four wedding special.

Spoilers for the Fantastic Four Wedding Special Below

Benjamin Grimm, or The Thing, is super old fashioned and went out of his way to ask for the blessing of his fiancé’s father. However, Alicia Master’s dad is an iconic F4 villain called the Puppet Master, who has the ability to manipulate people through a radioactive clay. When Thing went to ask for Puppet Master’s blessing, Alicia used her dad’s clay to manipulate him into giving Thing his blessing.

That’s some crazy grey-zone stuff, man. I love seeing comics with that type of moral ambiguity.
  • HaminHamin Posts: 2,444 ★★★★★
    I've mentioned this before, but one of the best heel turns in comics was when Danny Ketch was possessed by the evil angel Zadkiel.

• DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,646 Guardian

Thanos
    He saved us from overpopulation and hunger. Some of the biggest problems he solved with a snap. If I could do that, heck, I'd be snapping all day!

And you all thought he was a baddy

Unfortunately Thanos also snapped out half the farmers. On the other hand, the parking situation in my building is much better.
  • Magneto. Although he is still a villain, he has fought alongside the X-Men various times to protect the mutant race.

This is all I could think of off the top of my head, I’m not gonna go through my comics and look up tons of stuff just to answer a random question on the forums.
  • AhitlawAhitlaw Posts: 2,123 ★★★★
    Venom! When he teamed up with Spidey to fight Carnage
  • phillgreenphillgreen Posts: 3,675 ★★★★★
    Probably when sabretooth went to the X mansion for help after Birdy died.
  • NOOOOOOOOPEEEEENOOOOOOOOPEEEEE Posts: 2,803 ★★★★★
    How about Loki playing hot Potato with being a Hero or a Villain.
  • RiderofHellRiderofHell Posts: 4,390 ★★★★★

Greetings Summoners,

For those of you who haven’t completed The Living Death Who Walks event quest, beware spoilers below.

This month’s event quest featured a turn of events that few would’ve thought possible: Johnny Storm, a founding member of the Fantastic Four, a hero, and an all-around good guy getting in touch with his inner-villain! (To be fair, few could spend half a lifetime in the Negative Zone being corrupted by the Cosmic Control Rod and come out unscathed.)

But this is far from the first time a hero or villain has switched sides like this. Between mind control, clones, and genuine changes of heart, Marvel’s history is filled with good guys taking heel turns and former villains taking up the fight for justice.

One of my favorite of these examples of this is when Otto Octavius, Doctor Octopus himself, became Spider-Man!

Spoilers Below:
    What started out as an attempt to extend his life by transferring his mind into Peter Parker’s body, turned into him wanting to best his nemesis in every way possible. The best way for him to do so was to not only be a better Peter Parker, but to also be a better, superior Spider-Man. While he still had some villainous habits in the way he went about being a hero (the guy loves to monologue), he did genuinely come to appreciate how hard Peter’s life was and care about protecting people and the city.

So Summoners, I want to know, are there any heroes or villains who have shocked you when they switched sides? Or were there any heroes who broke your heart when they went to bat for the bad guys? Let us know in the comments!

Doc Ock reminds me of the episode where it ended with Doc being in peter body learning his identity...the spiderman tv series that currently airs lol
  • NEO_mr_AndersonNEO_mr_Anderson Posts: 1,075 ★★★
    As a fan of the early X-Men, I would say, Warren Worthington III, Angel.
    When he became Apocalyspe's horseman, Death, it was a love/hate feeling. I loved the look of the new Warren, but, as a servant of Apocalypse, I hated him.
    Really happy that he came back on the right side after many switch.

Second, bad Rogue who became, good Rogue.
  • Jh_DezJh_Dez Posts: 1,306 ★★★
    When jean became dark Phoenix I was really happy tho not heartbroken
    I was heartbroken when she had to die

Side note, anyone following age of x-man?
    I really can't wait for the next issue. We saw the Phoenix in the current issue and the cover of the next issue is scott holding jean and in the background, jean looking a bit pissed. It's Happening folks

@GroundedWisdom get over here man
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,234 ★★★★★
    Jh_Dez said:

I really can't wait for the next issue. We saw the Phoenix in the current issue and the cover of the next issue is scott holding jean and in the background, jean looking a bit pissed. It's Happening folks

Oh my God, yes. Saddest Movie in the MCU Universe for me, until Infinity War. First she died in X2, then again in X3. I was heartbroken. Lol.
    Well, she didn't die in X2, but at the time, she did to me. Lol.
  • ProxProx Posts: 12
    Darlings don't forget Emma frost.
    My favorite character and marvel made her a hero and now she's a villain in X-Men comics and a hero in avengers comics.

Well, she didn't die in X2, but at the time, she did to me. Lol.

She kind of did tho lol
    Remember watching it before I heard of X3
    Crushed my soul when she "fake" died in the water. At the time I didn't know much about the Phoenix force but read the comic later
  • Secret_GamerSecret_Gamer Posts: 348 ★★

Jh_Dez said:

Oh my God, yes. Saddest Movie in the MCU Universe for me, until Infinity War. First she died in X2, then again in X3. I was heartbroken. Lol.
    X-Man universe is not MCU though lol.
  • Weapon__Weapon__ Posts: 3
    Hawkeye darkside Ronan might counter nick fury .
  • Savio444Savio444 Posts: 1,781 ★★★★

The Avengers - X-Men Axis series. The hero’s and villains had their personalities inverted. It was interesting to see villains like Carnage and Sabretooth playing the hero’s, while all the Avengers and X-Men where trying to kill each other. Loki was even able to hold Mjölnir... for a moment.

• HedronHedron Posts: 359

Thanos
    He saved us from overpopulation and hunger. Some of the biggest problems he solved with a snap. If I could do that, heck, I'd be snapping all day!

And you all thought he was a baddy

Totally right
    😂😂
  • I think the biggest one for me is when Captain America was revealed to be a Hydra agent in the Secret Empire series. I was shook.

Fun fact about the design of Hydra Captain America: It was directly inspired by MCoC’s Civil warrior, and there’s even a Hot Topic version of the Civil Warrior funko pop depicting him as the evil Captain America from the Secret Empire series.
    I can't tell you how cool that was for all of us in the office! I'll always be a fan of the classic color scheme though ;)
  • Prox said:

My favorite character and marvel made her a hero and now she's a villain in X-Men comics and a hero in avengers comics.

I'm trying to catch up on some X-Men storylines from a few years ago and she has been featuring in them more and more frequently. I have to agree, she has pretty quickly become one of my favorite characters.
  • LordBeaverbrokeLordBeaverbroke Posts: 285 ★★
    The entire Axis event, where everybody switched sides was pretty great, However, the follow up to that story with Superior Iron Man was one of my favourite storylines, and answers the age-old question, what would Daredevil do if he got his sight back?

He goes to see Foggy Nelson apparently. I was hoping for something more, but that works too I guess.

The entire Axis event, where everybody switched sides was pretty great, However, the follow up to that story with Superior Iron Man was one of my favourite storylines, and answers the age-old question, what would Daredevil do if he got his sight back?

He goes to see Foggy Nelson apparently. I was hoping for something more, but that works too I guess.

I remember this
    I felt the emotion when Daredevil had a glimpse of foggy before his sight fully deteriorated. Beautiful...
  • EvangelionlovrEvangelionlovr Posts: 481 ★★★

Prox said:

I'm trying to catch up on some X-Men storylines from a few years ago and she has been featuring in them more and more frequently. I have to agree, she has pretty quickly become one of my favorite characters.
    Doesn't Emma have some mental/emotional issues and a pretty messed up background? I love characters like that.
  • RonaldRaygunRonaldRaygun Posts: 14
    In Old Man Logan when Bruce Banner became a douche and sold out the heroes so that the villains could spare him and let him have his own territory with his inbred hulk children. Not my favorite but satisfying seeing wolverine go to work on them.

Jh_Dez said:

X-Man universe is not MCU though lol.
    Fair enough, I suppose I just lumped it in with Marvel in my mind. Lol.