**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Arena AI

GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,242 ★★★★★
I think it's time we had a serious discussion about this, because it's become a serious problem. The AI in the Arenas has become unruly. They no longer Bait half the time, the amount that Parry procs for it is just not reasonable, and the reaction time it has is knee-jerk. This quick Evade that it has is not normal. At any time, it can snap out of anything and Evade back, most often when you attempt a Medium, or even in the middle of Specials. I've had Fights that were literally Parried every hit I attempted. I've had AI Parry a Heavy with Parry and Resist proc'd at the same time. All these added hindrances are quite stressful for Grinds that already take a great deal of attention over the course of 3 days. I think it's time to have a look at the AI in the Arena because it's not behaving anywhere near what is reasonable.
I've been a Grinder since I began playing 3 and a half years ago, and with almost 90k Wins under my belt, the issue is not my ability to handle it. The Arena is a great deal of strain at times, and people are trying to stay alert for long periods of time. When you add too much of a reactivity on the other side, it's infuriating. Now, I'm not saying it should be a standstill on the other end, I just think there are some things that could be worked on. Does anyone else see what I'm seeing? I have a good suspicion that the amped-up behavior of the AI is contributing to the lag we experience. Thoughts anyone? Please keep it constructive. I know how to Grind, so please be respectful. Thanks.

Comments

• GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,242 ★★★★★
    To be more specific, this occurs in the Infinite, and I certainly don't want the Arena nerfed, but if it's Parrying every single hit you make, something is not kosher. Lol. Plus, this whole Auto Evade feature it has now, for lack of a better term, is a bit excessive.
  • UnyonfaceUnyonface Posts: 519 ★★★
    I just lost my streak because of a parry happy team I went up against. The AI has been complete bs lately like you have stated with parry. Not only that, coming out of a special or stun as well....
    It's crazy. The part about coming out of Stun can be explained by Masteries, but I agree overall. The reactions are quick. It's difficult to tell who is using what Mastery, so I could rule that out. One thing is for sure, the proc on that Parry is nuts. Parry and Resist proc at the same time often, but I suppose that's inconsequential since Parry nullifies the Damage. Baiting is rare now.
  • UnyonfaceUnyonface Posts: 519 ★★★
    Yeah baiting has become more of a pain to get the AI to react to. Even in EQ's, it's happening and really a pain.
    edited April 2019
    Here's another example. I'm in a Match using Loki against BP. I fire an L2, the first part makes contact, Parry comes up for the second half, and he dashes back for the second part. That's not normal.
  • BenQcSlayerBenQcSlayer Posts: 867 ★★★
    Gotta agree with this thread.. the AI is reacting totally differently, vera hard to bait SP, start to intercept when we bait...

Really disappointing, feels like we got to learn hpw to play all over again
    Frustrating, for sure.
  • RaiserRaiser Posts: 424 ★★
    Same here, last arena i played so bad. Broke my streak 4 times, all the AI like have AON node.. damn.. too passive, and their medium timing are really unpredictable
  • RaiserRaiser Posts: 424 ★★

Gotta agree with this thread.. the AI is reacting totally differently, vera hard to bait SP, start to intercept when we bait...

Really disappointing, feels like we got to learn hpw to play all over again

Agree.. so hard to parry and dex cause of their medium timing seems differently modified
  • LyaniusLyanius Posts: 1
    Agreed
  • Batman05Batman05 Posts: 351 ★★
    I played arena today while walking around holding my phone in one hand using just my thumb to play and not really looking at my screen. I see your having problems in a lot of diffrent areas and I think it comes back to your device. Mine isn’t the best but i get good game play for the most part.
    It's definitely not my device. Paid enough for it. The game is having issues.
    It really has to be device. How much it cost really doesn’t reflect how it will play this game either. I say device related bc a large portion of players would say they have been playing arena without these noticeable effects your seeing. So since we all run the same game the only other factor is your device
    No, actually. A large portion is not accurate. Many people have noticed these issues, over a range of devices, so that's not a deciding factor.
    I mean I paid enough for a device with sufficient RAM and Processor. You can only say it's device-related for so long before you rule that out. If the only App you have issues such as this with is this one, then it's not device-related. I have no other issues with speed or input with any of the other Apps I run.
    That only goes so far before you realize it's not the device, it's the optimization of the Build.
  • BenQcSlayerBenQcSlayer Posts: 867 ★★★
    not a device factor, got an iPad, 6 month old.... up to date....
  • ItsDamienItsDamien Posts: 5,626 ★★★★★

No, actually. A large portion is not accurate. Many people have noticed these issues, over a range of devices, so that's not a deciding factor.
    I mean I paid enough for a device with sufficient RAM and Processor. You can only say it's device-related for so long before you rule that out. If the only App you have issues such as this with is this one, then it's not device-related. I have no other issues with speed or input with any of the other Apps I run.
    That only goes so far before you realize it's not the device, it's the optimization of the Build.

Agreed. When my octo-core processor and 8gb of ram is having performance issues, you know that the patch has messed up somewhere.
    edited April 2019
    I know u use android so the game is optimized the best they can without sacrificing optimization for the large number of other androids also. Which means the game might not run as smooth as it could but that is still device related bc that’s all kabam has to work with vs an apple device being able to be optimized better. And also trying to compare mcoc ability to run smoothly vs other apps you use isn’t useful either bc they are diffrent circumstances. I say large portion bc I just don’t hear many complain about the arena at all. Not from listening to the four diffrent steaming youtubers I watch or from alliances or certain line chats that deal in higher players and content. Like I was saying tho me and you are running the same game and you are seeing strange ai but me on the other hand play arena with one hand just mashing the screen and didnt lose my streak in the basic arena b4 it ended.
    People with Apple devices are reporting the same issues. Also, what Arena are you running that you can not even pay attention? What Streak? I can do that with the first 5 Fights or so because the AI doesn't amp up until the Infinite. For that matter, if you're half paying attention, would you notice issues? Lol.
    Rarely do I say this, but things are not all well. ;)
    I played the t4 basic arena today till streak 26 .... I do have to actually fight for matches 9-15 tho. I would prob lose a bunch of fights if I was having the issues you are saying is happening. I usually play the five star arena and always the alpha and basic arenas. I’m around 250k fights also. Mostly the only ai odd behavior I’ve been having is the very passive ai that will back dash three or four times instead of trying to attack. While in uncollected or the bounty missions it seems unusual to have to run after them but it’s not a game breaking experience for me. Also kabam is working on a fix for that. I just dont see these whifs and missed parrys you are describing in arena. I can fight and still parry with one hand and keep my streak
    There's a whole laundry list of issues, from Parrying Unblockable, to Parrying every hit you try, to Evade kicking in mid-Special, to Resist proc'ing repeatedly over and over, to the speed increasing intensely, to the AI stopping just short of your Parry, to frozen or lagging controls, the list continues. It's operating at an amped-up level, and that is not device-related. The device doesn't proc Parry over and over. AI is on Steroids.
    What would be the difference in the ai your playing and the ai other people face? You could just be getting dropped frames and lag from your device which makes it seem like the ai is doing weird things.
    Okay, now it feels like you're just arguing for the sake of it. How does dropped frames make the AI proc a Parry for every single hit you try? 10-15 in a row. It's not different than the AI other people face. That's why they're here saying they experience the same thing.
  • Woody141082Woody141082 Posts: 225 ★★
    Always been slightly difficult to bait specials in arena, but it's got much harder recently. I lost my streak twice in the last week in 5* featured for the 1st time in ages with the bugs and AI
  • winterthurwinterthur Posts: 7,760 ★★★★★
    Which arena are you facing this? I am running 4* basic and don't seem to see the same. Doing also 4* featured.
    Take your pick. I run the 3*, Basic, 4* Featured, T4B, Alpha (particularly horrible this past one)......
    Happens in all of them. Specifically, the higher the Streak.

Okay, now it feels like you're just arguing for the sake of it. How does dropped frames make the AI proc a Parry for every single hit you try? 10-15 in a row. It's not different than the AI other people face. That's why they're here saying they experience the same thing.

I’m not just arguing with you. I know it’s not diffrent than other ai people face. That’s kinda why I said that. I do not see the same issues as you and we both have the same ai so the only difference is your device wouldn’t you agree. And yes dropped frames could cause you to get parried bc your timing would be off
    No I don't agree that it's my device. Nor do I buy the dropped frames reasoning for every hit being Parried. I am talking about the AI being on overdrive. Not my inputs.
    I have Grinded long enough to tell the difference between lags in controls and amped-up AI.
    Your timing is off bc what your seeing isn’t what is happening if your dropping frames. The ai is already making moves your device isnt showing you. What would be the reason some people see issues like you do and others play fine? That’s my question to you. If the only difference we have is my phone and yours what else could
    It be?
    Okay, I'm not going over it and over it. You don't see it, great. It has nothing to do with my input, and everything to do with how the AI responds. One is one side, the other is the other. That argument doesn't even make sense, which is why I'm suspicious of your motives in debating this. A lag on my end would not cause the AI to Parry every single attempt to hit it. I'm not going to sit here and continue to justify my findings. It's the AI speed, reaction, proc, and behavior altogether that I'm discussing. Not the lag on my end. Thanks.