**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
We have not set an end-date for the new period, but we will update this banner when we have more information.

4*s Worth Their Weight

In light of today's offer, I wanted to start a discussion regarding which 4* Champs you think are still worth ranking up. Obviously they cannot be used in Act 6, so let's reserve this conversation to hypothetical scenarios where someone is not yet Uncollected or hasn't fully explored Act 5 yet. Which Champs do you think are worth it, and if comparing those 4* Champs with a 5* tier list, where do you think they would fall?

(Side note: I know tier lists can be super subjective and controversial, but one thing I wish people would do is take the top five 4* Champs and slot them into the tier list as well, as this gives people with smaller rosters, or rosters full of 4*s, a better idea of where to consider placing their resources.)

Comments

• ItsDamienItsDamien Posts: 5,626 ★★★★★
    Scarlet Witch.
  • ItsDamien said:

Scarlet Witch.

And where would you place her on a 5* tier list?
  • ItsDamienItsDamien Posts: 5,626 ★★★★★

ItsDamien said:

Scarlet Witch.

A maxed sig, max rank Witch? That's a tough one. Probably Demigod though, even as a 4*. She still absolutely destroys content. Only reason she isn't a God tier on a 5* list would be her health pool, even if she can regen a lot.
  • Patchie93Patchie93 Posts: 1,898 ★★★★
    ItsDamien said:

ItsDamien said:

Scarlet Witch.

A maxed sig, max rank Witch? That's a tough one. Probably Demigod though, even as a 4*. She still absolutely destroys content. Only reason she isn't a God tier on a 5* list would be her health pool, even if she can regen a lot.
    That and challanger rating really hurts her crit consistancy
  • SDPSDP Posts: 1,622 ★★★★
    Gulk, Switch, AA, Corvus, Quake, Medusa... Lots actually
  • Gulk, Switch, AA, Corvus, Quake, Medusa... Lots actually

And where would you rank each of them on a 5* tier list?
  • Disgruntled_User_123Disgruntled_User_123 Posts: 1,077 ★★★
    edited April 2019
    Obviously, a 5 Star has two more Ranks above a fully maxed 4 Star, so it’s unfair to “rank” them amongst a 5 Star at Rank 5.

But... if it’s 5 Star at Rank 3 or a a 4 Star at Rank 5, then some are still absolutely Elite and worthy of ranking up.

In addition to @KinkyWizard1 list:

- Void: Best Heal Reversal in the game
    - Venom the Duck: Potentially most Damage or Regeneration of any champion in the game.
    - Trinity (Blade/SES//GR) Easier to awaken as 4Stars, excellent utility
    - Hyperion: a Top 5 champion for ALL content he’s eligible for (good for long and short fights)
  • Zuko_ILCZuko_ILC Posts: 1,504 ★★★★★
    None work in act 6.
  • RagamugginGunnerRagamugginGunner Posts: 2,210 ★★★★★

Tier lists don't matter in this discussion. It's all about utility.

Gulk for any Face Me fights
    SW for high damage
    AA for heal block or ability accurcy reduction
    Corvus high damage
    Quake for lots of fights
    Medusa for robots

I'll add:

Void for heal/power reverse.
    Blade for danger sense
    Ghost for high damage
    DV or Sys Sup for nullify

• Gulk, Switch, AA, Corvus, Quake, Medusa... Lots actually

SW for high damage
    Corvus high damage
    Quake for lots of fights
    Medusa for robots

I'll add:

Blade for danger sense
    Ghost for high damage

Can you explain why you feel utility has no bearing on tier lists?
  • Obviously, a 5 Star has two more Ranks above a fully maxed 4 Star, so it’s unfair to “rank” them amongst a 5 Star at Rank 5.

But... if it’s 5 Star at Rank 3 or a a 4 Star at Rank 5, then some are still absolutely Elite and worthy of ranking up.

In addition to @KinkyWizard1 list:

- Void: Best Heal Reversal in the game
    - Venom the Duck: Potentially most Damage or Regeneration of any champion in the game.
    - Trinity (Blade/SES//GR) Easier to awaken as 4Stars, excellent utility
    - Hyperion: a Top 5 champion for ALL content he’s eligible for (good for long and short fights)

Not trying to say it is "fair" in any way. Just pointing out that some Champs are still strong enough (or have enough utility) to rate even if they are the 4* version.

For example, using Seatin as he is probably one of the more widely know examples, he puts Hyperion in the Beyond God Tier, but I would even argue that amongst 5*s, a 4* Hyp at 5/50 would still fall in the low demi God tier.
  • RagamugginGunnerRagamugginGunner Posts: 2,210 ★★★★★

SW for high damage
    Corvus high damage
    Quake for lots of fights
    Medusa for robots

I'll add:

Blade for danger sense
    Ghost for high damage

Can you explain why you feel utility has no bearing on tier lists?
    That's not what I said. Tier lists have no bearing on 4* champs because they are so widely under-powered compared to r5 5* champs.

You're asking which 4* champs have enough utility to be usable. Asking to compare a utility champ to a 5* tier list is just silly.
  • polverine15polverine15 Posts: 191
    Why has no one mentioned Thor yet?! There is a reason he's not available above 4 star. I only recently stopped using him AQ, and he is still my preferred option vs Killmonger.
  • SlimeballSlimeball Posts: 340 ★★

In light of today's offer, I wanted to start a discussion regarding which 4* Champs you think are still worth ranking up. Obviously they cannot be used in Act 6, so let's reserve this conversation to hypothetical scenarios where someone is not yet Uncollected or hasn't fully explored Act 5 yet. Which Champs do you think are worth it, and if comparing those 4* Champs with a 5* tier list, where do you think they would fall?

(Side note: I know tier lists can be super subjective and controversial, but one thing I wish people would do is take the top five 4* Champs and slot them into the tier list as well, as this gives people with smaller rosters, or rosters full of 4*s, a better idea of where to consider placing their resources.)

aegon, archangel, void, sparky, omega, corvus, gr, hyperion, list goes on
  • crgoodw1ncrgoodw1n Posts: 125
    AA (awakened) I'd put at High demi-god tier
    SW (max sig) I'd put at low demi-god, only because her abilities are so random and inconsistent.
    Blade (awakened) I'd put at high demi-god. He's still got an amazing amount of usage even though there are many counters for him.
    Corvus I'd put at high demi-god. Once he has a few missions he hits crazy hard
    Void/CAIW would be high demi-god, Void for his reversal, CAIW for his sp2 damage and utility
  • Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★
    Act 6 is not the alpha and the omega of this game. People should really stop pretending 4* have no uses anymore since they are barred from Act 6. It is getting ridiculous.
  • phil56201phil56201 Posts: 964 ★★★

Any tier lists Ive observed have never been specific to 5*. They are overall tier lists that apply to all rarities of the champions available.

So with that in mind, whichever champions are r5 worthy as a 5* are just as viable to r5 as a 4* if you do not have them higher than a 4*. Sometimes the 4* is the better option even if you have the 5* version.

Like for example, I have GR as both 4 and 5*. But my 4* is max sig 5/50, while my 5* still sits at rank 2 unawakened. Same for Iceman. Have them both as 4 and 5* but the awakened utility keeps me using my 4*. If I ever pull void as a 5*, it would be the same thing. My sig 99 4* is gonna have way more utility than the 5* which I would not only have to dupe, but get him to a high sig level.

• MMCskippyMMCskippy Posts: 352 ★★
    It's not about 4* or 5*, it's about resources, resources, resources.

I pulled a 4* OR, duped him, leveled him up to 5/50 and then promptly pulled a 5* OR. I had a mutant awakening gem and used it on him because even though I have a 4*, the damage output of 5* is too much to ignore. But in my case, any resources I spent on my 4* OR just made a new AW defender because any new sig stones or mutant t4cs are being sent to my 5* OR. In hindsight, I wasted some resources.

I think that's the way the 4* pool as a whole needs to be treated.

If they don't exist in 5* or 6*, they are so OG that Kabam doesn't know how to scale up their damage to maintain game "balance" and should be ranked up accordingly. I'm not sure who is not in the 5* crystals yet, but Thor, SW, Wolvie and DS come to mind as champs that weren't in 5* for a while that are pretty OG and should be ranked up as 4*s.

The 4*s that exist in 5* and 6* take a little more thought. If their sig ability doesn't really affect their utility, like Ghost Rider and a handful of others, start getting stingy with resources when you need to start burning t4b's and t4c's, but if they unlock a synergy you want and you can use them, don't worry about resources. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

If they need to be duped like OR, I'd argue that it's in your best interest to level up a 4* because it's a lot easier to dupe up a 4*. I personally hold 4* champs at Rank 3 if they're unduped until they get duped. I keep unduped 5*s at R2 if they need awakening to be quest-able, R1 if they're trash.

Take the time to document how long it takes you to form ONE t4c of a 4* champ you're considering ranking up. Assume the RNG gods are **** and you need to form any resource you get by grinding because that's where this game has always been. If you hit the lotto and actually pull something you need or wanted, awesome. Reality would dictate that every item you get you will need to put in the time to get it.

The reason you do this, is you can calculate how long you'd have to wait to rank up the duped 5* champ you're holding off ranking up your 4* champ for... the champ that's not in your roster... the champ you can't seem to pull...

Let's say you're like me an buy the weekly mutant offer because you're hoping to pull that 5* AA or 5* Iceman... I've been making my $5 weekly bet for a while right now... and when I pulled a 4* AA, he still got resources to go up to 5/50 because I could pull 15 DPXs or Colly's before I hit a 5* AA.

How long it takes to generate the resources are a forgotten metric in all of these questions.

• Hort4Hort4 Posts: 495 ★★★
    OP - it probably would have been easier to just ask where would they rank if there were 5* versions of the champs. I think I understand your question and you have several good answers. One that I did not see but might have missed is Wolverine. He would likely be God tier based on his regen rate. Thor with his armor break would be high rated as well but more of a utility champ.
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,341 ★★★★★
    Lots of useful arguments above. There are a number of champs sufficiently powerful and versatile to justify ranking a 4*.

Cap Infinity War is a definite, for me. Incredibly adaptable; durable, and at 5/50 has better damage output than most of my 4/55s.

I'll let you decide which 'tier' he goes on.
  • CammonRoCammonRo Posts: 377 ★★
    For what it's worth I'll rank up a 4* if they play a key synergy role and I have no better use for the T4C and it is expiring. I figure if I have to drag them along with my team they might as well be as powerful as they can be. YMMV
  • SlimeballSlimeball Posts: 340 ★★
    MMCskippy said:

It's not about 4* or 5*, it's about resources, resources, resources.

I pulled a 4* OR, duped him, leveled him up to 5/50 and then promptly pulled a 5* OR. I had a mutant awakening gem and used it on him because even though I have a 4*, the damage output of 5* is too much to ignore. But in my case, any resources I spent on my 4* OR just made a new AW defender because any new sig stones or mutant t4cs are being sent to my 5* OR. In hindsight, I wasted some resources.

I think that's the way the 4* pool as a whole needs to be treated.

If they don't exist in 5* or 6*, they are so OG that Kabam doesn't know how to scale up their damage to maintain game "balance" and should be ranked up accordingly. I'm not sure who is not in the 5* crystals yet, but Thor, SW, Wolvie and DS come to mind as champs that weren't in 5* for a while that are pretty OG and should be ranked up as 4*s.

The 4*s that exist in 5* and 6* take a little more thought. If their sig ability doesn't really affect their utility, like Ghost Rider and a handful of others, start getting stingy with resources when you need to start burning t4b's and t4c's, but if they unlock a synergy you want and you can use them, don't worry about resources. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

If they need to be duped like OR, I'd argue that it's in your best interest to level up a 4* because it's a lot easier to dupe up a 4*. I personally hold 4* champs at Rank 3 if they're unduped until they get duped. I keep unduped 5*s at R2 if they need awakening to be quest-able, R1 if they're trash.

Take the time to document how long it takes you to form ONE t4c of a 4* champ you're considering ranking up. Assume the RNG gods are **** and you need to form any resource you get by grinding because that's where this game has always been. If you hit the lotto and actually pull something you need or wanted, awesome. Reality would dictate that every item you get you will need to put in the time to get it.

The reason you do this, is you can calculate how long you'd have to wait to rank up the duped 5* champ you're holding off ranking up your 4* champ for... the champ that's not in your roster... the champ you can't seem to pull...

Let's say you're like me an buy the weekly mutant offer because you're hoping to pull that 5* AA or 5* Iceman... I've been making my $5 weekly bet for a while right now... and when I pulled a 4* AA, he still got resources to go up to 5/50 because I could pull 15 DPXs or Colly's before I hit a 5* AA.

How long it takes to generate the resources are a forgotten metric in all of these questions.

same thing happened to me with sparky lol