**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Arena motivation

I find arena so boring and monotonous, but I need the battle chips. What's some things that keep you guys motivated to grind it out?

Comments

• Viper1987Viper1987 Posts: 728 ★★★
    Rewards. I mean, yeah. Why else would you do it?
  • NeowantsyouNeowantsyou Posts: 198 ★★
    I hate arenas as well, but I've been doing it lately for the upcoming basics, and also I'm farming BC for the new arena crystal. Gonna open tons, let's just hope they don't rig it, and I get only gold lmao.
  • wSWeaponXwSWeaponX Posts: 366 ★★
    Viper1987 wrote: »

Yeah you're right I guess, it's just so repetitive to me at times
  • wSWeaponXwSWeaponX Posts: 366 ★★
    I hate arenas as well, but I've been doing it lately for the upcoming basics, and also I'm farming BC for the new arena crystal. Gonna open tons, let's just hope they don't rig it, and I get only gold lmao.

Good luck! I should start farming them too for the 16th
  • ege999menege999men Posts: 275 ★★
    I grind upside down(holding the phone upside down while playing) also I don't block makes everything a lot more fun
  • AnmaelAnmael Posts: 65
    The good parts of Arena: Rewards, and that the champ battles are one-on-one and have no lasting effects (a "W" is still a "W" even if you win by a sliver you still won and don't have to fight the next guy with the same near-dead champ)

The bad parts: it is monotonous, and for decent rewards and to collect the chips you have to play A LOT of fights.

To be honest, arena is no different than any other part of MCOC. You are winning fights and moving on. The only reasons arena feels different than questing is that you are not moving through a map so you don't have the illusion of progress and that to roll through a map and kill a boss at the end makes you feel more accomplishment and completion. Never mind that you are probably going to start at the beginning of the map and roll another path to that same boss again in a few.

Just try to trick yourself into thinking of it as making progress through a map. That's what I do. It works for me...sometimes:)
  • Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,734 ★★★★★
    Well ... I spend all energy, do AQ and AW. What else do I have to do?
    Oh yeh, arena.
    So I play arena when there is nothing else to do.
  • Viper1987Viper1987 Posts: 728 ★★★
    Anmael wrote: »
    The good parts of Arena: Rewards, and that the champ battles are one-on-one and have no lasting effects (a "W" is still a "W" even if you win by a sliver you still won and don't have to fight the next guy with the same near-dead champ)

The bad parts: it is monotonous, and for decent rewards and to collect the chips you have to play A LOT of fights.

To be honest, arena is no different than any other part of MCOC. You are winning fights and moving on. The only reasons arena feels different than questing is that you are not moving through a map so you don't have the illusion of progress and that to roll through a map and kill a boss at the end makes you feel more accomplishment and completion. Never mind that you are probably going to start at the beginning of the map and roll another path to that same boss again in a few.

Just try to trick yourself into thinking of it as making progress through a map. That's what I do. It works for me...sometimes:)

Yeah, this makes sense. To me, I try to shoot for milestones in both arenas (basic and featured) usually you can get ~1,000 4* shards and ~600 5* shards per arena, not to mention a lot of BC, PHC shards, and units. Additionally, if you decide to go for a featured, that's a full dupe and 800 5* shards (1-10% is 400 5* shards). Arena is just a great way to build up shards for champs. 1-10% in featured (~4.2M; 4-5 runs over 3 days for me) is 1,600 4* shards and 800 5* shards a week. You can get another 1,000 4* shards and 400 5* shards per week if you hit ~1.7M in basic arena, too. It does require some investment, but pretty stellar rewards if you play it right.
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    I usually just hit milestones. Put on a podcast or an audio book, a ballgame, movie, etc.
  • Deadbyrd9Deadbyrd9 Posts: 3,469 ★★★★
    Rewards and trying out new champs
  • winterthurwinterthur Posts: 7,658 ★★★★★
    I usually just hit milestones. Put on a podcast or an audio book, a ballgame, movie, etc.

B) Multitasking.
  • CallmelaFleurCallmelaFleur Posts: 231
    Grind for the units and love the rewards when you are in top 10. Rome wasn't built in a day.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,558 Guardian
    wSWeaponX wrote: »
    Viper1987 wrote: »

Yeah you're right I guess, it's just so repetitive to me at times

If you focus on each individual fight, it can get extremely boring. But that's like going for a jog and counting the steps. I tend to grind while doing other things: watching TV, Netflix binging, watching youtube streamers, listening to music. I tend to zone individual fights, and think in terms of larger milestones. I don't mean point milestones, I think in terms of things like "now let's use up all my 5/50s; now let's see if I can grind out all of my 4/40s; now lets switch to the 3* arena and see if I can use up all my 2300+ 3* champs; now lets see if I can use up all the rest of my 3* champs." I pick mini-goals to reach for that involve maybe a dozen rounds or so, like reaching for McDonalds during your run, then pushing to the bridge, then seeing how long it takes to get to the gas station, rather than counting individual steps.

It tends to go by faster when I do that. And if I find myself stressing over the grind, I take a short break rather than try to push through the stress. I try to grind while relaxed and my mind is engaged on other things.

Unless I lose a fight. Then I focus on the rest to guarantee winning the round. Then I go back to zoning.
  • Imthatdamnbad82Imthatdamnbad82 Posts: 181
    edited August 2017
    I hardly go past the first milestine. Only do when trying to get the basic. I have over 51K arena wins and have only pulled a 4* Pun once...so I have 0 motivation to do arenas.
  • IvankaIvanka Posts: 236
    I'll tell you one thing that kills my motivation... spending tons of time and actual real world money to grind for a featured champion, finishing 3 spots away from the top prize, finding out that the only reason this happened is because 80% of the top spots are taken by cheaters, reporting this to Kabam, and having them say they are going to do precisely jack squat about it. A lot of cheaters have been banned in the last few weeks but that doesn't restore to me the champion that I should have been awarded.
  • CocoUnoCocoUno Posts: 7
    I usually have to have something going in the background (music, podcast, Netflix). Lately I like to watch (mostly listen) to mcoc live streams on YouTube while I grind. It doesn't solve the monotonous issue but it makes the grind much better than without.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,558 Guardian
    I'll tell you one thing that kills my motivation... spending tons of time and actual real world money to grind for a featured champion, finishing 3 spots away from the top prize, finding out that the only reason this happened is because 80% of the top spots are taken by cheaters, reporting this to Kabam, and having them say they are going to do precisely jack squat about it. A lot of cheaters have been banned in the last few weeks but that doesn't restore to me the champion that I should have been awarded.

What makes you think 80% of the top spots are cheaters?
  • DhennyzDhennyz Posts: 22
    The daily Spider verse hero use events used to be an added motivation for rewards. I don't know why they took it away.
  • EzioEzio Posts: 40
    Play awesome music when you grind arena. It helps :)
  • Vs only really seems a grind for expert and better players.

For normal people like me it is immensely frustrating, the matchmaking seems to have been ramped to silly levels since the update, if you rarely get long streaks like me, sometimes some of the match ups are utterly impossible, there seems to pattern to stand despite all efforts placing certain ranks at certain stages, once you get past fight 12, death squads are inevitable, whereas in the pasts you could navigate it a little easier.

I was doing the 2* yesterday, got to a level when I was picking a 1 with 2 2*s and came up against a team of guys that were all 400PI above me and obviously 600 ahead of the 1.

This is called impossible, not gameplay. For players who struggle with baiting, arena is simply frustration, nothing more.
  • wSWeaponX wrote: »

What's so special about the 16th? Anything new? I always use it up soon as I get 20K, if there're awesome rewards, I will save it up
  • beaupoembeaupoem Posts: 443
    @Billybob1971 for the 2* arena, starting on round 9 i use these 2 teams only and i never lose a match:
    1) 834 ultron, 779 wolvie, 679 Cap
    2) 859 thor, 578 iron fist, 530 hulk

you should really be working on the 3* arena though.
  • I don't have enough of those to bother, and in new character arenas I would be wasting my time even more.
  • Imthatdamnbad82Imthatdamnbad82 Posts: 181
    Challenger wrote: »
    wSWeaponX wrote: »

What's so special about the 16th? Anything new? I always use it up soon as I get 20K, if there're awesome rewards, I will save it up

When the 5* Pun crystals get added for anyone whos beaten what theyve offered for Act 5