**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

An In-Depth Look at Which Character Should be Buffed

I am going to be analyzing all the different uses of each of the champions that are being voted on for receiving a buff and deciding which one I believe to be most deserving. Let's get into it.

1. Venompool

Offensive Abilities: This champ can inflict some decent Bleed damage, Regenerate, inflict Heal Block, and get a pretty significant Precision buff. Definitely has some uses.

Defensive Abilities: All of his buffs/debuffs can only trigger by landing a hit. His Special Attacks are easy to avoid. Essentially useless.

Additional Factors: Venompool's synergy with Venom the Duck helps Venom the Duck gain more of his offensive buffs, which can be useful if Venom the Duck (who is a pretty solid champ) is one of the most used champions on your roster. There are also already many great Cosmic champions, and a new great Cosmic champ isn't really necessary.

2. Old Man Logan

Offensive Abilities: This champion's minor Regeneration effect grants him some extra survivability (not sure if that's a word but you know what I mean) for quests. The Fury and Cruelty buffs are primarily gained by being struck, which is frustrating, but can give you a small burst of damage when you slip up. You can then Regenerate that health back over time. Usable.

Defensive Abilities: Regeneration makes the fight last a bit longer, but the rest of his buffs are only useful offensively. Bleed Resilience can help sometimes, but not enough to greatly affect a fight. His Special Attacks are... let's just say you have to be very tired, drunk, or unfocused to get hit by his Special Attacks. Nearly Worthless.

Additional Factors: The Mutant class is very underwhelming, and a new good Mutant champ would be greatly appreciated.

3. Groot

Offensive Abilities: This champion is Bleed Immune, can trigger Regeneration. His offensive buffs are only gained by being struck, making them essentially useless. Can be used for Bleed paths, but that's about it.

Defensive Abilities: Bleed Immunity can counter certain offensive champs, his offensive buffs aren't really useful, but his Special Attack 2's Unblockable can catch newer players or inattentive users off guard on occasion. His best defensive ability is the fact that he shrugs off debuffs about twice as fast as most champions. This can make for some Parry opportunities being missed and some mistimed movements that result in taking damage. Can be an annoying defender for sure.

Additional Factors: The Cosmic class is possibly the best overall class in the game, and a new great Cosmic champ would not be necessary.

4. Colossus

Offensive Abilities: Bleed Immunity. That's it. Can be used for Bleed paths.

Defensive Abilities: Bleed Immunity can counter a few certain offensive champs, and he has Armor Up to lengthen fights. But lengthening fights is worthless with no Damage Over Time debuffs or difficult Special Attacks. Completely worthless.

Additional Factors: The Mutant class is very underwhelming, and a new good Mutant champ would be greatly appreciated.

5. Howard the Duck

Offensive Abilities: This champion has some minor Fury, Regeneration (when awakened), Thunderquack debuff (when awakened), and a pretty solid Special Attack 2 that can inflict a variety of debuffs. Below average, but can be useful.

Defensive Abilities: Thunderquack (when awakened) can do some damage, but is easily removed by Stun. His Special Attack 2 can do some solid damage, even through a block. Not awful, but still far below average.

Additional Factors: Howard the Duck has a decent synergy with Venom the Duck that will increase the latter's damage by up to 20%. The Tech class is one of the worse classes in the Contest, and a new good Tech champ would be helpful.

6. Iron Patriot

Offensive Abilities: Arc Overload (when awakened) can be useful for questing. Allows Iron Patriot to stay alive for a few more fights than most champions would be able to. Occasionally useful.

Defensive Abilities: Arc Overload (when awakened) is unique for this champion as opposed to Iron Man, granting Iron Patriot Power Gain as well. This can lead to a Special Attack 3 being fired off towards the end of a fight if the user is not careful. Occasionally useful.

Additional Factors: The Tech class is one of the worse classes in the Contest, and a new good Tech champ would be helpful.

7. Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan)

Offensive Abilities: Fury leads to a decent damage output. Special Attacks can remove a buff from the opponent. Occasionally useful.

Defensive Abilities: None. Special Attacks are ridiculously easy to dodge.

Additional Factors: The Cosmic class is possibly the best overall class in the game, and a new great Cosmic champ would not be necessary.

My Opinion

Venompool, Old Man Logan, Groot, Howard the Duck, and Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan) all have uses. I'm not saying these champion are good; they aren't. I get angry every time I pull them. But the remaining two are worse. Iron Patriot is only useful when awakened, and Colossus is only useful for his Bleed Immunity. Let's compare these two.

Iron Patriot, when awakened, can be occasionally useful both offensively and defensively. Colossus, however, is useless on defense. His only use is offensively on Bleed paths. But Bleed paths are generally only in advanced areas of the game. Mid-to-High Tier Alliance Wars, Mid-to-High Tier Alliance Quests, and Mid-to-High Tier quests are pretty much the only areas where Bleed paths exist. At this point in progression, most users have found another Bleed Immune champion. Given the fact that Colossus is obviously, in my opinion, the worst Bleed Immune champion, I'd rather take literally any other Bleed Immune champion. Even Groot has SOME offensive use. Iron Patriot, on the other hand, has a small amount of use for users at any almost point in the game. Let's say you unfortunately duplicate Iron Patriot as one of your first six star, five star, four star, or even three star champions. If he's one of your few champions at that star level, he will be one of your best champions just based on PI. He will have some uses whether you need him on offense or defense. He will survive for many fights in quests, and he can be an irritating defender. Colossus just doesn't. He's useless on defense, and literally any other Bleed Immune champion is better for offense. Plus, you don't have to take a Bleed path. There's always an alternative in AW, AQ, or quests.

Overall, I believe Colossus is the worst champion on this list and in Contest of Champions as a whole. I vote for Colossus to receive a buff. We need another good Mutant champ (plus he's from 2015 so all of those 2015 Mutant exclusive items could have another use).

That's my opinion. Let me know if you agree or disagree down below. Thanks for reading this very long post!

Comments

• PastorCoco2PastorCoco2 Posts: 6
    This a very good and in depth discussion of all the characters, but I still will be voting for Iron Patriot because he is one of my favorite characters from one of my favorite comic arcs. But a better Colossus would be great as well.
  • FreeToPlay_21FreeToPlay_21 Posts: 1,594 ★★★★

I am going to be analyzing all the different uses of each of the champions that are being voted on for receiving a buff and deciding which one I believe to be most deserving. Let's get into it.

1. Venompool

Offensive Abilities: This champ can inflict some decent Bleed damage, Regenerate, inflict Heal Block, and get a pretty significant Precision buff. Definitely has some uses.

Defensive Abilities: All of his buffs/debuffs can only trigger by landing a hit. His Special Attacks are easy to avoid. Essentially useless.

Additional Factors: Venompool's synergy with Venom the Duck helps Venom the Duck gain more of his offensive buffs, which can be useful if Venom the Duck (who is a pretty solid champ) is one of the most used champions on your roster. There are also already many great Cosmic champions, and a new great Cosmic champ isn't really necessary.

2. Old Man Logan

Offensive Abilities: This champion's minor Regeneration effect grants him some extra survivability (not sure if that's a word but you know what I mean) for quests. The Fury and Cruelty buffs are primarily gained by being struck, which is frustrating, but can give you a small burst of damage when you slip up. You can then Regenerate that health back over time. Usable.

Defensive Abilities: Regeneration makes the fight last a bit longer, but the rest of his buffs are only useful offensively. Bleed Resilience can help sometimes, but not enough to greatly affect a fight. His Special Attacks are... let's just say you have to be very tired, drunk, or unfocused to get hit by his Special Attacks. Nearly Worthless.

3. Groot

Offensive Abilities: This champion is Bleed Immune, can trigger Regeneration. His offensive buffs are only gained by being struck, making them essentially useless. Can be used for Bleed paths, but that's about it.

Defensive Abilities: Bleed Immunity can counter certain offensive champs, his offensive buffs aren't really useful, but his Special Attack 2's Unblockable can catch newer players or inattentive users off guard on occasion. His best defensive ability is the fact that he shrugs off debuffs about twice as fast as most champions. This can make for some Parry opportunities being missed and some mistimed movements that result in taking damage. Can be an annoying defender for sure.

4. Colossus

Offensive Abilities: Bleed Immunity. That's it. Can be used for Bleed paths.

Defensive Abilities: Bleed Immunity can counter a few certain offensive champs, and he has Armor Up to lengthen fights. But lengthening fights is worthless with no Damage Over Time debuffs or difficult Special Attacks. Completely worthless.

5. Howard the Duck

Offensive Abilities: This champion has some minor Fury, Regeneration (when awakened), Thunderquack debuff (when awakened), and a pretty solid Special Attack 2 that can inflict a variety of debuffs. Below average, but can be useful.

Defensive Abilities: Thunderquack (when awakened) can do some damage, but is easily removed by Stun. His Special Attack 2 can do some solid damage, even through a block. Not awful, but still far below average.

Additional Factors: Howard the Duck has a decent synergy with Venom the Duck that will increase the latter's damage by up to 20%. The Tech class is one of the worse classes in the Contest, and a new good Tech champ would be helpful.

6. Iron Patriot

Offensive Abilities: Arc Overload (when awakened) can be useful for questing. Allows Iron Patriot to stay alive for a few more fights than most champions would be able to. Occasionally useful.

Defensive Abilities: Arc Overload (when awakened) is unique for this champion as opposed to Iron Man, granting Iron Patriot Power Gain as well. This can lead to a Special Attack 3 being fired off towards the end of a fight if the user is not careful. Occasionally useful.

Additional Factors: The Tech class is one of the worse classes in the Contest, and a new good Tech champ would be helpful.

7. Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan)

Offensive Abilities: Fury leads to a decent damage output. Special Attacks can remove a buff from the opponent. Occasionally useful.

Defensive Abilities: None. Special Attacks are ridiculously easy to dodge.

My Opinion

Venompool, Old Man Logan, Groot, Howard the Duck, and Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan) all have uses. I'm not saying these champion are good; they aren't. I get angry every time I pull them. But the remaining two are worse. Iron Patriot is only useful when awakened, and Colossus is only useful for his Bleed Immunity. Let's compare these two.

Iron Patriot, when awakened, can be occasionally useful both offensively and defensively. Colossus, however, is useless on defense. His only use is offensively on Bleed paths. But Bleed paths are generally only in advanced areas of the game. Mid-to-High Tier Alliance Wars, Mid-to-High Tier Alliance Quests, and Mid-to-High Tier quests are pretty much the only areas where Bleed paths exist. At this point in progression, most users have found another Bleed Immune champion. Given the fact that Colossus is obviously, in my opinion, the worst Bleed Immune champion, I'd rather take literally any other Bleed Immune champion. Even Groot has SOME offensive use. Iron Patriot, on the other hand, has a small amount of use for users at any almost point in the game. Let's say you unfortunately duplicate Iron Patriot as one of your first six star, five star, four star, or even three star champions. If he's one of your few champions at that star level, he will be one of your best champions just based on PI. He will have some uses whether you need him on offense or defense. He will survive for many fights in quests, and he can be an irritating defender. Colossus just doesn't. He's useless on defense, and literally any other Bleed Immune champion is better for offense. Plus, you don't have to take a Bleed path. There's always an alternative in AW, AQ, or quests.

Overall, I believe Colossus is the worst champion on this list and in Contest of Champions as a whole. I vote for Colossus to receive a buff. We need another good Mutant champ (plus he's from 2015 so all of those 2015 Mutant exclusive items could have another use).

That's my opinion. Let me know if you agree or disagree down below. Thanks for reading this very long post!

#BuffColossus
  • Mother_FlerkenMother_Flerken Posts: 508 ★★★
    Both old man logan and groots pacifism charges can be gained simply by the opponent using a special, don't need to get hit to gain them as you state.
  • BulmktBulmkt Posts: 1,547 ★★★★
    Colossus needs to be rebooted so he can finally be colossal
  • The Mutant class has been one of the strongest for quite a while, it has a wide variety of different champs for different uses in it already therefore your point about the Mutant class being underwhelming is just you trying to find different reasons so everything works out for colossus.
  • Lvernon15Lvernon15 Posts: 11,596 ★★★★★
    Something you missed with colossus is his synergy team with Emma and omega, which allows him to hit moderately hard, as on average he probably gains about 60-80% attack from this and he can throw specials a fair bit
  • Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★
    I do think you underestimate Colossus. Colossus is a champion you need to be patient (and lucky) with. You need to stack armor-ups and then launch a sp2 or sp3. With the increased special attack damage based on armor rating, you can hit pretty decent. The only issue is getting the timing right and being dependent on special attacks.
  • SungjSungj Posts: 2,111 ★★★★★
    Lvernon15 said:

Something you missed with colossus is his synergy team with Emma and omega, which allows him to hit moderately hard, as on average he probably gains about 60-80% attack from this and he can throw specials a fair bit

Even with all those synergies, he doesn't hit moderately hard. I'm pretty sure Venompool can do more damage than colossus with those synergies
  • Thekiller8967Thekiller8967 Posts: 323 ★★

The Mutant class has been one of the strongest for quite a while, it has a wide variety of different champs for different uses in it already therefore your point about the Mutant class being underwhelming is just you trying to find different reasons so everything works out for colossus.

That's the exact same thought that ran through my head when I read that.
  • Rougeknight87Rougeknight87 Posts: 599 ★★★
    how on earth can people keep saying the mutant class is void of options or underwhelming?? Literally the most top heavy class in the game. More R5 options then cosmic, cosmic just has more mid range useful champs. If you are going by this theory and basing it on class then the only option is iron patriot.
    Domino, omega, AA, iceman, havoc, ST and Emma are all absolutely R5 worthy how people can say that an underwhelming class baffles me. Neck and neck with cosmic as the strongest class currently
  • belli300belli300 Posts: 704 ★★★
    Good argument but #buffgroot
  • Panchulon21Panchulon21 Posts: 2,605 ★★★★★
    Buff groot. Nuff said
  • HaminHamin Posts: 2,444 ★★★★★
    Ummm... underwhelming?

Yeah...

I am Groot.
  • WardenZeroWardenZero Posts: 722 ★★★
    Wow. I admire your dedication in typing up all of that. I do agree, Colossus is pretty close to (if not completely) the worst champ in the game. He has deserved a buff for a long long time.
  • Tiger360Tiger360 Posts: 1,696 ★★★★
    Hamin said:

Ummm... underwhelming?

Yeah...

I am Groot.

Didn’t you rank 4 him? Why? Lol
  • EtjamaEtjama Posts: 7,981 ★★★★★
    I agree with everything you just said. Well done.
    edited May 2019

Domino, omega, AA, iceman, havoc, ST and Emma are all absolutely R5 worthy how people can say that an underwhelming class baffles me. Neck and neck with cosmic as the strongest class currently

Stark Spidey, IMIW, SL, Ultron, Doc Oc, Vision, and arguably the best champ in the game, Ghost, are all Tech champs. The same idea applies that you used with Mutants. Great high tier champs, but lacking mid tier champs.
    Stark spidey and ghost (arguably SL and darkhawk) are the only champs you would take to R5. Ultron, doc oc, IMIW are R4 worthy but tech is no where near the mutant class. Not even debatable.
    Mutant class is more top heavy then the cosmic. Pity there is no skill or mystic champs in the running as if you are basing it on class these 2 are the 2 in most need