Champion Spotlight - Cull Obsidian

edited September 27 in Champion Spotlights

ABOUT CULL OBSIDIAN
A ferocious combatant like few others, Cull Obsidian is always seeking a truly challenging fight to impress his master, Thanos. Wielding his one-of-a-kind multi-weapon, Cull tears his opponent’s defenses apart and stops heroes in their tracks. Lord Thanos won’t be stopped so long as his imposing enforcer, Cull, stands by his side ready to strike down any opposition.

Cull Obsidian’s Mechanics
  • Cull Obsidian is a powerful, bruiser Champion that gets stronger as he wins more and more fights. With ready access to his new Rout Buff, Cull can bypass Auto-Block with ease. Additionally, his new Thanos’s Favor Buffs can provide large, reliable increases to his Attack and overall damage output and staying aggressive can extend their duration to keep the damage high throughout the fight. Gain enough Thanos' Favor Buffs and he can even gain True Accuracy, allowing him to ignore difficult defensive abilities like Evade and Auto-Block.

BASE STATS & ABILITIES
* All stats based on 4-Star, Rank 5, Level 50, Signature Level 99
HEALTH: 16876
ATTACK: 1227
MAX PI:
WITH SIGNATURE (99): 4776

WITHOUT SIGNATURE: 3712
* All stats based on 5-Star, Rank 5, Level 65, Signature Level 200
HEALTH: 33837
ATTACK: 2459
MAX PI:
WITH SIGNATURE (200): 10450

WITHOUT SIGNATURE: 7474

Character Class: COSMIC
Basic Abilities: Persistent Charge, Thanos’s Favor, Armor Break, Rout, Stun

STRENGTHS
New Rout Buff to bypass Auto-Block
  • Cull Obsidian has the option to activate his Rout Buff in order to allow his attacks to ignore Auto-Block effects. This can be used especially well against enemies that have a more reliable Auto-Block effect like Iron Man (Infinity War) as he gets low on health. The bonus Energy Damage is also good to combine with his Thanos’s Favor Buffs.
Parry the “Un-Parry-able”
  • Unlike other Champions, Cull Obsidian can use the Parry Mastery against non-contact attacks to help with some of the Champions that can be quite tricky to land a Parry on.
Multiple Ways to Ramp Up Persistent Charge
  • Cull Obsidian has a few options when it comes to gaining his Persistent Charges. By using his Solo Synergies he ramps up much more quickly and his Special 1 Attack can be used to protect his combo meter.
  • If you’re the type of player who rarely gets hit, you can go all-in on his Solo Synergies and get him to max Persistent Charges in a couple of fights.
WEAKNESSES
Very Buff Reliant
  • Between his Thanos’s Favor Buffs and his Rout Buff, Cull Obsidian is very reliant on Buffs to get the most out of his Damage Output. Any Champion that can strip them away quickly will have a much easier time fighting Cull.

MISSIONS FROM THANOS
Cull Obsidian has 3 Missions to complete, which may be done in any order. Each Mission can be completed multiple times and doing so grants 1 Persistent Charge.
  • Mission 1: Break their Defenses: Knockout any Champion.
  • Mission 2: Crush their Hope: Knockout an Avenger.
  • Mission 3: End their Resistance: Knockout a Champion above 95% Health without the Combo Meter resetting during the fight.
Developer Notes: Mission 3 means that Cull’s opponent must begin the fight with 95% or higher health, and Cull cannot lose his combo meter during the fight to gain the Persistent Charge. Also, these Missions may all be completed in the same fight, granting Cull 3 Persistent Charges.

THANOS’S FAVOR - Max Persistent Charges 10
  • At the beginning of the fight, 1 Thanos’s Favor Buff is gained per Persistent Charge. These Buffs last 10 seconds each and they gain effects based on the number of charges. These Buffs have their duration paused for 1 second each time an attack is landed.
Developer Notes: Unlike many other Champions, Cull Obsidian begins with 1 Persistent Charge.

Thanos’s Favor Buffs - Effects from Persistent Charge
  • 1+ Each Buff grants +10% Attack
  • 3+ Each Buff grants +40 Critical Damage Rating
  • 5+ Each Buff provides True Accuracy, allowing attacks to ignore Evade and Auto-Block effects.
  • 8+ Each Buff grants +5% Rout Buff Duration.
Developer Notes: Each Thanos’s Favor Buff gained at the start of the fight will have all properties available to it. So, if you have 8 Thanos’s Favor Buffs because you started the fight with 8 Persistent Charges, you’ll get +80% Attack, +320 Critical Damage Rating, your attacks will ignore Evade and Auto-Block, and you’ll gain +40% Rout Buff Duration.

WELL-TIMED BLOCKS
  • Cull Obsidian’s unique shield allows him to use the Parry Mastery against Projectile attacks (only if the Mastery is unlocked and active).
Developer Notes: As a reminder, Parry Stun still won’t work on Special Attacks as Champions cannot be Stunned whilst they are in a Special Attack animation.

DASH BACK AND HOLD BLOCK FOR 1.2 SECONDS - Once Per Fight
  • Cull Obsidian overcharges his weapon to gain a Rout Buff for 8 seconds. This causes his opponent to suffer -100% Auto-Block Ability Accuracy and also grants his attacks an additional burst of Energy Damage equal to 120% of the damage dealt.
HEAVY ATTACKS
  • 50% chance per strike to inflict an Armor Break Debuff, reducing Armor by 1333 for 11 seconds. This effect gains +15% duration and Ability Accuracy for each Persistent Charge.
SPECIAL ATTACKS
Cull Obsidian's overwhelming presence reduces the opponent's Armor Up Ability Accuracy by 100% during his Special Attacks.

SPECIAL 1: Collision of Challenge
  • A series of devastating strikes softens the opponent before Cull roars a challenge in their face to prove his dominance.
  • Combat expertise grants 10 Combo Shield Buffs. When struck 1 Combo Shield Buff is lost instead of the Combo Meter resetting. Max:10 Combo Shield Buffs.
Developer Notes: There is a max of 10 Combo Shield Buffs that Cull can have at any time. This is a good Special Attack to use if you struggle to maintain your Combo Meter but still want to ramp up your Persistent Charges quickly.

SPECIAL 2: Transformation Devastation
  • A flurry of blows are rained down upon Cull's foe and deliver punishing hammer and claw strikes.
  • Each strike has an 80% chance to pause the duration of all Armor Break Debuffs on the opponent for 2 seconds.
  • 100% chance to Stun for 2 seconds.
Developer Notes: Only the final strike of his Special 2 can inflict a Stun Debuff.

SPECIAL 3: Pummeling Eradication
  • With a fully-deployed whip-chain, Cull snags his opponent in a crushing grip before launching them into the wall.
  • An influx of power from Thanos causes Cull Obsidian to re-trigger all of his Thanos’s Favor Buffs.
Developer Notes: The max number of Thanos’s Favor Buffs you can have is 10, the same max as the Persistent Charges.

SIGNATURE ABILITY: Enforced Oblivion
  • Once Cull Obsidian’s Rout Buff has expired, it goes into cool down, and can be reactivated after 15 seconds.
  • When Rout enters cool down, Cull’s aggression is awarded with a Fury Buff, granting +2944 Attack for 5 seconds. This Buff gains +0.5 seconds duration for each hit landed while Rout was active.
Developer Notes: Cull is greatly rewarded for staying aggressive during his Rout time. Make sure to launch it when you’re sure it is safe to land as many attacks as possible.

SYNERGY BONUSES

INVASIVE FORCE: Proxima Midnight, Corvus Glaive
  • Cull Obsidian: New Mission - Disarm Their Tech: Knockout a Tech Champion. This Mission can only be completed once each Quest.
  • Solo: Only affects this Champion and does not stack.

DISPLAY OF STRENGTH: Ebony Maw, Thanos
  • Cull Obsidian: New Mission - Show Your Might: Knockout a Champion while the Rout Buff is active. This mission can only be completed once each Quest.

HEROES NEVER LEARN: Hulk, Hulkbuster, Hulk (Ragnarok)
  • Cull Obsidian: Launching a Special Attack grants a Fury Buff for 4 seconds, increasing attack by 50%. This Buff gains +150% duration while fighting Hero Champions.

ENEMIES LV. 3: Iron Man (Infinity War), Thor (Ragnarok), Captain America (Infinity War), Heimdall
  • All Champions gain +155 Critical Rating.

ENEMIES LV. 3: Doctor Strange, Falcon, War Machine, Black Panther (Civil War)
  • All Champions gain +155 Critical Rating.

RECOMMENDED MASTERIES
Precision
  • While Cull Obsidian gains many Buffs to increase his Critical Damage and Attack Rating, he lacks a way to increase his Critical Hit Chance. Grabbing Precision grants a fairly large damage increase to Cull Obsidian.
Post edited by Kabam Miike on

Comments

• bloodyCainbloodyCain Posts: 628 ★★★
    MISSIONS FROM THANOS
    Cull Obsidian has 3 Missions to complete, which may be done in any order. Each Mission can be completed multiple times and doing so grants 1 Persistent Charge.
    • Mission 3: End their Resistance: Knockout a Champion above 95% Health without the Combo Meter resetting during the fight.
    Developer Notes: Mission 3 means that Cull’s opponent must begin the fight with 95% or higher health, and Cull cannot lose his combo meter during the fight to gain the Persistent Charge. Also, these Missions may all be completed in the same fight, granting Cull 3 Persistent Charges.

MY QUESTION:
    1) So it means I can have all 10 Persistent Charge in one fight? The key sentence here is "Each Mission can be completed multiple times and doing so grants 1 Persistent Charge". It doesn't say anywhere that it's limit to only 3 Persistent Charge per fight.

• Kayne34Kayne34 Posts: 71
    Are the stats for a 4 or 5 star, particularly the sig ability Fury?
  • will-o-wispwill-o-wisp Posts: 7,507 Guardian

MISSIONS FROM THANOS

MY QUESTION:
    1) So it means I can have all 10 Persistent Charge in one fight? The key sentence here is "Each Mission can be completed multiple times and doing so grants 1 Persistent Charge". It doesn't say anywhere that it's limit to only 3 Persistent Charge per fight.

Each mission can be completed multiple times, in a quest. Not in a fight.
    You can see that neither of those 3 missions can be done more than 1 time in a single fight, since it requires the opponent to be K.O.
  • BowTieJohnBowTieJohn Posts: 849 ★★
    If time allows I may go for a 3* Version. Still don't have Corvius Glave and hoping from round 1 to get Proxima.

Who knows maybe Corvius will drop via RNG, I get Proxima from Round 1, and get Cull then I will be at 3 of the 4 Black Order Members. If all that works then hoping Ebony Maw will eventually be a login champion.
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 2,208 ★★★★
    edited May 10

MY QUESTION:

The key words are 'knock out'. He only gains charges when he knocks someone out.

So, since you can't knock out a champion more than once in a fight, you can't collect extra charges.

MISSIONS FROM THANOS

MY QUESTION:

Each mission can be completed multiple times, in a quest. Not in a fight.
    You can see that neither of those 3 missions can be done more than 1 time in a single fight, since it requires the opponent to be K.O.
    My bad. Forgot to think of that too. I'm laughing at myself so hard right now LOL
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 2,208 ★★★★
    Question for the community as well as the mods - when fighting Cull in the EQ I struggled to parry his dash attack, especially after an SP1; as he seemed to hit me well before he actually got close enough to hit me. I didn't notice this being a problem with short-range melee medium attacks; only on a dash attack.

Did anyone else experience this? Or was it just lag/sleep-deprivation on my part? I don't think it's a bug; but has his Dash attack got an unusually long reach? (a large hitbox, or whatever the terminology is?)?

Thanks for any feedback.
  • AjisdopeAjisdope Posts: 441

Corvus and Proxima get nothing in return with Synergy Bonus?

Agreed. I see a missed opportunity here. Having both Corvus and Proxima I was hoping for a great synergy team.
  • Hort4Hort4 Posts: 139
    Ajisdope said:

Agreed. I see a missed opportunity here. Having both Corvus and Proxima I was hoping for a great synergy team.

Corvus needs more help. :#
  • X_Factor_AgentX_Factor_Agent Posts: 1,953 ★★★★
    Can synergy missions be completed like normal ones? Multiple in one fight?
  • Ctleath_013Ctleath_013 Posts: 418 ★★
    Yeah, looking for a great black order synergy. :'(
  • Mitchell35Mitchell35 Posts: 1,900 Guardian
    Looks like he’ll be rather reliant on his synergy missions
    Curious will he go for lower than Ronin did in the arenas?
  • Can synergy missions be completed like normal ones? Multiple in one fight?

Yep, so if you managed to complete all missions in the same fight, you could get 5 charges, though the synergy missions could each only be completed once per quest still.

Question for the community as well as the mods - when fighting Cull in the EQ I struggled to parry his dash attack, especially after an SP1; as he seemed to hit me well before he actually got close enough to hit me. I didn't notice this being a problem with short-range melee medium attacks; only on a dash attack.

Did anyone else experience this? Or was it just lag/sleep-deprivation on my part? I don't think it's a bug; but has his Dash attack got an unusually long reach? (a large hitbox, or whatever the terminology is?)?

Thanks for any feedback.

I face no issue with parry when against him. It's high likely on your part then
  • becauseicantbecauseicant Posts: 331 ★★★
    In the overview it's stated that his Rout buff counters auto-block and evade, however the Rout buff description says that it only counter auto-block. Which one is correct?
  • ContestOfNoobsContestOfNoobs Posts: 1,351 ★★★★
    Really sucks that he doesnt have any immunities

• In the overview it's stated that his Rout buff counters auto-block and evade, however the Rout buff description says that it only counter auto-block. Which one is correct?

Hey there, I'll check with the team and let you know what I find out.
  • Sorry for the confusion there. His Rout Buff causes his opponent to suffer -100% Auto-Block Ability Accuracy, but does not impact Evade Ability Accuracy. It is having 5 or more of his Thanos' Favor Buffs that give him True Accuracy to ignore Evade and Auto-Block effects while they are active. We've corrected his spotlight to clarify this.
  • FrnkieloFrnkielo Posts: 161
    When is the offer to try for him early come out..Monday I believe ?
    I may or may not go for him. Just have to see what the news is on him in the forums and on YouTube.
  • Ace_03Ace_03 Posts: 848 ★★★★

Really sucks that he doesnt have any immunities

That's the tradeoff
    He’s a god tier attacker
    The ebony maw synergy gives him almost 65 percent crit for 20 seconds...fight is over
  • RasiloverRasilover Posts: 299 ★★
    Easily Corvus 2.0
  • V1PER1987V1PER1987 Posts: 3,474 ★★★★★
    Frnkielo said:

The ebony maw synergy gives him almost 65 percent crit for 20 seconds...fight is over

I don’t think it’s a flat 50% like you’re thinking it is.
  • Duke_SilverDuke_Silver Posts: 1,812 ★★★★

Disappointing
  • te_dua_shumte_dua_shum Posts: 193

Thanks for any feedback.

I face no issue with parry when against him. It's high likely on your part then
    look at this video, i have already set the right moment to watch, you can clearly see what the other guy was talking about :)