**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Unstealable buffs

Just watched a vid on this and wanted to know have we ever gotten any reasoning behind some buffs being stealable and some not. Loki and Rogue are two of my higher champs and i don't understand or know why some buffs aren't stealable

Comments

• ZuroZuro Posts: 2,707 ★★★★★
    The only answer you're gonna get is "Balance"
  • Fred_JoeityFred_Joeity Posts: 1,168 ★★★
    Can you give any examples? I mean, I know that Carnage's power gain, and any mechanic that deals with a specific champion won't work when stolen, but I don't know any buffs that can't be stolen (except passive ones, but they're technically not buffs).
  • Markjv81Markjv81 Posts: 1,003 ★★★★
    Can only steal buffs not passive effects.
    Markjv81 said:

Can only steal buffs not passive effects.

I'm pretty sure he knows that's some BUFFS aren't stealable
  • Marlo_Mike33Marlo_Mike33 Posts: 193
    edited May 2019

Can you give any examples? I mean, I know that Carnage's power gain, and any mechanic that deals with a specific champion won't work when stolen, but I don't know any buffs that can't be stolen (except passive ones, but they're technically not buffs).

We can steal the cosmic control rod, thats pretty champ specific. You can steal Luke Cage Indestructible buff too. They even show that you steal Ice Armor from Iceman, but it doesn't tank the SP3. They should update the text or whatever I guess
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,552 Guardian

Just watched a vid on this and wanted to know have we ever gotten any reasoning behind some buffs being stealable and some not. Loki and Rogue are two of my higher champs and i don't understand or know why some buffs aren't stealable

Why do some buffs expire while others don't? Why are some buffs stronger while others weaker? These are design decisions, and whether a buff is stealable or not or nullifiable or not is just another one of those decisions.

The OP mentions Rogue, and I know that Rogue cannot steal buffs from the tech class and cannot steal Unstoppable (even when it is a buff and not a passive effect). The tech limitation is probably just a class disadvantage thing built into the champion, while the limit on stealing unstoppable may have originally been due to some wonky issues with the unstoppable effect, and never revisited. I think Loki *can* steal unstoppable buffs.

DNA3000 said:

Why do some buffs expire while others don't? Why are some buffs stronger while others weaker? These are design decisions, and whether a buff is stealable or not or nullifiable or not is just another one of those decisions.
    Thats cool. I'm not against them designing things how they want. Its just one of their more important mechanics and if it won't work on certain buffs because they decided so it could at least be in the text.
    The developers have been trying to this in general for passive effects, by using consistent language. When something is a passive effect and thus cannot be normally stolen or nullified, it isn't described as a "Buff" it is described as a "passive effect." A passive effect isn't a "Buff" even though it might do what game players might refer to as "buffing the champ." This is a language change they started moving towards a while ago, but unfortunately I have to admit this continues to be unclear to the players.

In the specific case of Rogue, her inability to steal buffs from tech champs or steal unstoppable buffs is actually in her description, under the description for her special one attack.
  • sest22sest22 Posts: 933 ★★★
    I honestly do not understand the remote or messy method of kabam. classic ironman and infinity war. both with passive armor. but you can steal one and not another. and so many cases. you steal the regeneration of angela but not that of old man logan. I really do not understand.
  • BigPoppaCBONEBigPoppaCBONE Posts: 2,257 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

The OP mentions Rogue, and I know that Rogue cannot steal buffs from the tech class and cannot steal Unstoppable (even when it is a buff and not a passive effect). The tech limitation is probably just a class disadvantage thing built into the champion, while the limit on stealing unstoppable may have originally been due to some wonky issues with the unstoppable effect, and never revisited. I think Loki *can* steal unstoppable buffs.
    She can't steal unstoppable because it refreshed on contact and she could maintain an unstoppable buff with uninterruptable heavies and power steal with L2 so the opponent couldn't do anything to stop it.
  • John757John757 Posts: 1,085 ★★★
    Hamin said:

42, I suppose.

This is the only logical answer
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,189 ★★★★★
    There are two aspects to this. One is that some Buffs are Passive and some are Active. The other is balancing. Some Buffs aren't intended to be stolen because it would in fact make those two OP.
    Cue the "No it wouldn't." argument. XD
    sest22 said:

I honestly do not understand the remote or messy method of kabam. classic ironman and infinity war. both with passive armor. but you can steal one and not another. and so many cases. you steal the regeneration of angela but not that of old man logan. I really do not understand.

Classic Iron Man doesn't have passive armor. Classic Iron Man procs armor buffs. IMIW gains passive armor effects. Angela procs healing buffs. OML does not have healing buffs to steal.

Kabam does do certain things inconsistently, but honestly in these two cases they aren't inconsistent. Rather, to be blunt, players ignore or refuse to accept how the mechanics are described and choose to use their own made up terminology and descriptions for things, and then complain when the game doesn't obey their rules rather than the game's rules.

The buff/passive thing is one of those areas. Passive effects are not described as or considered buffs by the developers at this time, and the text descriptions mostly reflect that assertion. However, some players insist that passive effects should be called buffs because they "buff." I was in fact one of those players, but I can separate what something is called from how it functions in the game. I now know that many players can't, and this insistence on calling passive effects "buffs" just allows them to then claim Kabam doesn't treat "buffs" consistently, which is just silly. If Kabam says certain things affect "buffs" and then goes out of their way to state which things count as buffs, that's perfectly clear. Claiming they are "wrong" about what is and is not a buff, *then* claiming they don't treat buffs consistently is ridiculous.
    Not if he wanted to express an opinion.
  • Marlo_Mike33Marlo_Mike33 Posts: 193
    edited May 2019

i can't speak for everyone but most of us know the difference between buff or passive effect. The icons don't even look the same in game most of the time. Like I was saying its cool but if they don't want it to be stealable or if they meant it as a passive, they can just label it that
    Zuro said:

Usually when DNA does express his\her feelings it leads to an unnecessary argument
    Having only butted heads with him once or twice in my whole time on the Forum, I'm inclined to disagree.

Zuro said:

Usually when DNA does express his\her feelings it leads to an unnecessary argument
    Having only butted heads with him once or twice in my whole time on the Forum, I'm inclined to disagree.
    Well I that's your opinion so ok
    That's all I can speak for. ;)
  • ReferenceReference Posts: 2,899 ★★★★★
    https://youtu.be/RBZlDQ7HKWw

Here’s a video showcase by unofficial kabam mike and I found it very interesting as I also used SW and Rogue regularly.
  • bloodyCainbloodyCain Posts: 910 ★★★
    It feels like Kabam scraps out the idea of Buff Stealer champ already. There are only 2 champs can do that and not all buff can be stolen which it seems like KABAM doesn't update the range of buffs that be stolen for those 2 champs.
    Probably a difficult mechanic to pull off. Don't know
  • V1PER1987V1PER1987 Posts: 3,474 ★★★★★
    It seems like barring the evasion buff, Kabam prevents champ specific buffs to be stolen. Klyntar mutation buff, Cosmic Rod, Thanos Favor, and Dimensional Link are specific to certain champions so it would seem strange for Rogue and Loki to steal those. I’m only guessing that was the design choice to not be able to steal unique buffs like these as it wouldn’t really make sense. I mean why should Loki and Rogue be granted Thanos Favor?