**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

What Went Wrong: The Champion

NOOOOOOOOPEEEEENOOOOOOOOPEEEEE Posts: 2,803 ★★★★★
This is something I thought up to do. Basically for this I want to make it a series, but only ig other Forum Goers don't think it'll get redundant. And the point of of this series is not to ask for a buff but simply to explore what went wrong with some champions and how Kabam can learn from this for future Champions, and for the first one I wanna explore what went wrong with, The Champion. So first we need quick read of his abilities. His main kit is mostly build up, get persistent charges and watch those furies go up. Looking into these furies they actually aren't to bad, it's about 50% of his base attack meaning when you get to 5 once he procs the furies he would be getting a 250% boost which is pretty strong right, plus intercepting attacks can place armor breaks or even give him True Accuracy which makes him a good counter for Autoblocking champions which is a pretty good thing for a lot. Now surely someone who can get a 250% attack boost and counter autoblock would be pretty good right? Well it's apparently not enough for The Champ, and here's where it goes wrong, his first Major fault is that it takes forever for him to get a fury, which is really short making this a really bad combo, and then we have the abilities based off his Specail Attacks which consume his persistent charges, and a good amount of them too considering you can only get five his sp1 consumes 1 but only when you 4 or more which doesn't sound bad but all it does is give you a really weak fury. Now his sp2 consumes 2 of them and gives him a big boost to his critical attack rating, now on paper this sounds good but is executed poorly, best way this cam be used is when he starts pricing his furies which is a massive pain to time amd not to mention that now this is giving him less furies. And then we have his sp3 which consumes 2 persistent charges and give him,get this, 2 really weak furies. With the effects of his Specail attacks being inconvenient and weak, plus how quickly his furies expire this is how The Champion wasn't quite the champ we thought he would be.

So was this interesting to read? Is this a decent idea on paper but it was poorly executed? Who would you like to see one of these on next, I am trying to exlucde some older champs like Colossus and Magentos becuase for them they came at simpler times so it dumbs down to "their stats are bad" over abilities.

Comments

• gage201205gage201205 Posts: 572 ★★★
    First of all right now he processes 8 persistent charges

Second with the thing on your team he has 6.7 seconds of furies which is pretty good
  • Mathking13Mathking13 Posts: 988 ★★★
    So basically the best way to play The Champion is 'don't throw specials'.
    but yeah I don't know whether I enjoy not throwing specials all that much...

actually now that I think of it a bit more... wouldn't that make him reasonably viable for the Suicide masteries? You don't need to throw specials to use him, so yay no recoil damage...
  • HfchangHfchang Posts: 186
    edited May 2019
    I’d be behind this kinda of series. But I agree, paragraphs needed. It may be worth focussing in those middle ground champions that have hidden potential - people generally tend to avoid meme tiers and people tend to already know how to use god tiers.

Edit: if you had time, you could launch a YouTube channel and edit them nicely.
  • Archit_Tandon498Archit_Tandon498 Posts: 325 ★★
    You keep using sp1 till you get to 4 charges, then build up sp2 and use when you trigger 5 furies. It uses 2 charges, brings you back to 3 and you can build back up in the time it gets back to 5.
  • RakeYoungRakeYoung Posts: 472 ★★★
    While this would seem like a great series, like others have noted, please work on the formatting.

That being said, lets remember The Champions purpose in the game, its to be a boss or defender, so they cant scale up his attack like the would for an offensive champ because of how it would scale in Quests and AW.

Sadly i just don't think he was meant to be a Offensive champion.
  • RogerRabsRogerRabs Posts: 548 ★★★★
    They created him to be an AW boss but then released Sym Supreme shortly after completely nullifying (pun intended) his value.