**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Kabam, I have a question regarding piloting..

So AW piloting is a no no, but piloting for AQ and arena is ok? So much for integrity of the game.
Arena cutoffs, legend runs, AQ top 3, are all messed up from people continuing to pilot with no punishments. Why is this?

Comments

• B_RabbittB_Rabbitt Posts: 136
    What exactly is "piloting"? @Kabam Miike
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,189 ★★★★★
    Piloting is Account Sharing.
  • Hatshipuh said:

So AW piloting is a no no, but piloting for AQ and arena is ok? So much for integrity of the game.
    Arena cutoffs, legend runs, AQ top 3, are all messed up from people continuing to pilot with no punishments. Why is this?

The most logical answer to that is simply they cannot monitor everything everyone does, at every moment of everyday. To expect otherwise is utterly ridiculous. They do what they can, and are getting better at it. There's always waves of bans that occur. However, like everything in life, there will always be those willing to bend and break rules to get ahead. Some possess an epic horseshoe, and go unnoticed. Others, their luck runs out fast and they get met with swift justice. I applaud Kabam's efforts on this front. It's not easy and yet, they keep at it.

I've heard more justifications for 'piloting' than I'd care too. At the end of the day, it's cheating. Simple as that. You can justify your actions on this matter all the live long day... doesn't make it right, or ok. Most players work their tails off to get where they are today. All the while there are those that would happily hand another player a stack of cash to finish the content for them. I get not everyone has the time to do everything they'd like too. I get that some lack the skills necessary to complete X content. I get that it blows falling behind as it were due to these circumstances. Just the same, they do not justify 'piloting.' Period.

The ONLY aspect I have a little trouble with is account transfers. I would like to see such become available to the playerbase in a legitimate way. Kabam being the mediator in the transaction, making a percentage of the sale price for said account, and ensuring no one gets burned. That would be nice to see happen. However, I certainly doubt it ever will. While I don't like it, it is what it is. As it currently stands anyway.

There will always be those that are foolish enough to take the risk on the purchase of something that could potentially get banned as a result, or get burned in the transfer process. Knowing this, making a legitimate method, and getting extra money out of it seems like it would be in Kabam's best interest all things considered. I dont know. Maybe there's something I'm missing, and maybe I'm wrong. Just seems like it would benefit everyone in the long run. Obviously with some stipulations and guidelines to prevent hot swaps occurring back and forth to legitimize 'piloting' certain aspects of the game.

Sure, there's the point that someone can pickup a loaded account and they didn't have to invest much to get it. Fact is, all the greatest champs in the world do not replace the skills and experience needed to properly operate them. So yes, they'd be getting something they didn't fully earn, but they'll still need to learn to use everything they've acquired. More than likely they'll be willing to invest more into a solid foundation than if they had to start from scratch. Some don't have the time or patience for that matter. So taking over someone's great work when they're done with it seems more beneficial than it sitting idle collecting digital dust.
    Drooped2 said:

Hatshipuh said:

The most logical answer to that is simply they cannot monitor everything everyone does, at every moment of everyday. To expect otherwise is utterly ridiculous. They do what they can, and are getting better at it. There's always waves of bans that occur. However, like everything in life, there will always be those willing to bend and break rules to get ahead. Some possess an epic horseshoe, and go unnoticed. Others, their luck runs out fast and they get met with swift justice. I applaud Kabam's efforts on this front. It's not easy and yet, they keep at it.

I've heard more justifications for 'piloting' than I'd care too. At the end of the day, it's cheating. Simple as that. You can justify your actions on this matter all the live long day... doesn't make it right, or ok. Most players work their tails off to get where they are today. All the while there are those that would happily hand another player a stack of cash to finish the content for them. I get not everyone has the time to do everything they'd like too. I get that some lack the skills necessary to complete X content. I get that it blows falling behind as it were due to these circumstances. Just the same, they do not justify 'piloting.' Period.

The ONLY aspect I have a little trouble with is account transfers. I would like to see such become available to the playerbase in a legitimate way. Kabam being the mediator in the transaction, making a percentage of the sale price for said account, and ensuring no one gets burned. That would be nice to see happen. However, I certainly doubt it ever will. While I don't like it, it is what it is. As it currently stands anyway.

There will always be those that are foolish enough to take the risk on the purchase of something that could potentially get banned as a result, or get burned in the transfer process. Knowing this, making a legitimate method, and getting extra money out of it seems like it would be in Kabam's best interest all things considered. I dont know. Maybe there's something I'm missing, and maybe I'm wrong. Just seems like it would benefit everyone in the long run. Obviously with some stipulations and guidelines to prevent hot swaps occurring back and forth to legitimize 'piloting' certain aspects of the game.

Sure, there's the point that someone can pickup a loaded account and they didn't have to invest much to get it. Fact is, all the greatest champs in the world do not replace the skills and experience needed to properly operate them. So yes, they'd be getting something they didn't fully earn, but they'll still need to learn to use everything they've acquired. More than likely they'll be willing to invest more into a solid foundation than if they had to start from scratch. Some don't have the time or patience for that matter. So taking over someone's great work when they're done with it seems more beneficial than it sitting idle collecting digital dust.
    Man i disagree buying an acct should be banned as well no legit way to do it.

You get what you earn and of story
    We agree on this.
    Drooped2 said:

Drooped2 said:

Hatshipuh said:

We agree on this.
    You never agree when I wave my hammer around tho :)
    Not always. In the case of selling Accounts, I agree 100%.
  • Bear3Bear3 Posts: 996 ★★★
    Oh no! We always try to warn the leader of the next alli or two they go to!😂
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,552 Guardian

Need to get a hold of those arena bots. They’ve populated the 3* and 4* basic leader boards for the four past arenas. It’s not a good look.

Are we sure it is bots? I mean, it seems apparent something funky is going on, but it doesn't have to be bots. It could be mods, it could be Chinese labor camp farming, it could be other things besides bots. If they are reported as bots and the analysis shows it doesn't have the appearance of bot activity, would you allow Kabam to ban those accounts for obviously weird activity but without being able to prove which specific avenue of activity it was?

Stopping low level prohibited activity (as in low progress level, not low level of activity) in an F2P game can be very difficult. Veteran accounts have a lot of progress in them, and banning those accounts wipes out all that progress. But banning an account that some shmuck is using to farm stuff in the early game hurts less, because that account can be quickly recreated. In traditional MMOs, it is often the case that many of the features of the game that can be most abused - global chatting, trading, resource farming, etc - get unlocked over time with game progress specifically to increase the penalty for abusing them. The penalty associated with a ban goes up the more valuable the account is, and brand new accounts have almost zero value, so banning them has almost no deterrent effect.

I wonder if Kabam should alter the beginner bracket for the arena so that the arena unlocks at a higher level, say 25 (and by the way, I don't know off the top of my head how the beginner bracket works: it has been way too long for me). Your beginner bracket clock would start at level 25, and anyone trying to create arena bot farms would need to take the extra step of leveling the accounts up to unlock the arena first. This would be a relatively minor change for normal players - it might even be a welcome one because your beginner bracket clock would be starting when you had a more sizeable roster to use in the arena. But it would make life just a little bit more difficult for the farmers, and the goal isn't to stop them completely, but just to make life expensive enough to make it not worth their time.
  • CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    @DNA3000 No I can’t say if it’s bots or something like Chinese prison labor behind the accounts. But one of the alliance’s names strongly suggests its bots, you can PM if you want the info. It is the veteran bracket though but they are all 60k-90k accounts.
  • Let me clarify this. I don't agree with it either. HOWEVER, the amount of shady business out there is gonna continue regardless. This would hypothetically curb the blackmarket trade of accounts and bring in extra revenue to Kabam. All the while reducing people getting ripped off. That's my primary concern with it (also a minor bonus seeing someone's work not get placed on a digital mantel to collect dust).

Was the 'people will bend or break rules' part missed? People do foolish things. Like buying an account on a game with no guarantee that it'll last. If that's not foolish, I don't know what is. Was merely a hypothetical. Such a system will never happen so people will undoubtedly continue to do some foolish stuff in the meantime. The unfortunate truth of the matter.

It's an ugly double edged sword. Both sides of it have nasty aspects. The idea that people are scamming irritates me the most though. More than the idea that someone can get handed years of work for X dollars. Which isn't really right either. But it's the real world effects that bother me more than someone having an edge in a game. Call me crazy.
  • Hammerbro_64Hammerbro_64 Posts: 7,463 ★★★★★
    edited June 2019
    Drooped2 said:

Drooped2 said:

Hatshipuh said:

We agree on this.
    YOUR Hammer?
  • DTMelodicMetalDTMelodicMetal Posts: 2,785 ★★★★★

No, that is not okay, and it's something that we are constantly looking for and punishing, but we do not take a "guilty until proven innocent" approach.

We will always take action when we find something that is not in the spirit of fair play. We're always implementing new methods of detection and punishment. You can expect more of those in the future, including new actions in the coming months.

Thanks for this comment Miike. Legends runs have been piloted since the title was introduced in 2016. It’s understandable that implementing TOS penalties for behavior that’s been around for 3 years takes significant time and resources.

When legends runs piloting does get hit by TOS penalties, try to make it happen close to the weekend. That way you guys can go all out with a trip to Unibroue for a job well done.

Drooped2 said:

Drooped2 said:

Hatshipuh said:

We agree on this.
    YOUR Hammer?
  • arsjumarsjum Posts: 412 ★★★

@DNA3000 No I can’t say if it’s bots or something like Chinese prison labor behind the accounts. But one of the alliance’s names strongly suggests its bots, you can PM if you want the info. It is the veteran bracket though but they are all 60k-90k accounts.

Checked the leaderboard for 3* arena and I think I figured out which alliance you are talking about. Pretty sure your suspicion is fully justified.
  • Ghosty64Ghosty64 Posts: 171
    Drooped2 said:

Drooped2 said:

Drooped2 said:

Hatshipuh said:

We agree on this.
    YOUR Hammer?
    Grounded always tells me I'm way to liberal with waving my hammer. I wish I had the hammer.
    Oh man the cleaning id do.

//insert evil laugh
    If u had the hammer
    No one would play
    Drooped2 said:

Drooped2 said:

Hatshipuh said:

We agree on this.
    U always agree tho

No, that is not okay, and it's something that we are constantly looking for and punishing, but we do not take a "guilty until proven innocent" approach.

We will always take action when we find something that is not in the spirit of fair play. We're always implementing new methods of detection and punishment. You can expect more of those in the future, including new actions in the coming months.

So would it always be an instaban Even without context
    Like if two kids couldn’t afford a second device and piloted would they be instabanned
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    Ghosty64 said:

So would it always be an instaban Even without context
    Like if two kids couldn’t afford a second device and piloted would they be instabanned
    First of all, sharing a device is not against the TOS. Second of all it's not detectable. If you hand your phone to someone to try out one of your champs, the game doesn't use face recognition software to determine that it isn't you. So the poor kids in your example are free to each have an account on the same device, or share an account. The former wouldn't be against the rules. The latter would be, but they wouldn't get banned for it.
  • Bear3Bear3 Posts: 996 ★★★
    Lmao I mean couples play the same account, parents and kids both play in the same account.. think generally they’re looking for alliance mates who are able to reach higher levels of aq and aw playing on alliance mates accounts who aren’t available and people being paid in some way or another to beat content for unskilled the players. Not witch hunt poor people using the same device 😂😂😂.
  • cherascheras Posts: 112
    edited June 2019
    Is the same everywhere, if you are rich monthly you cash in $10000 on units but oh shiit you get caught "Piloting" , so what ?
    Bear3 said:

Lmao I mean couples play the same account, parents and kids both play in the same account.. think generally they’re looking for alliance mates who are able to reach higher levels of aq and aw playing on alliance mates accounts who aren’t available and people being paid in some way or another to beat content for unskilled the players. Not witch hunt poor people using the same device 😂😂😂.

Two people playing the same account on the same device exclusively is still technically account sharing and still technically prohibited, but it is also virtually undetectable. This falls under the category of jaywalking in the middle of the night on a vacant road. It is technically illegal and if you're dumb enough to do it right in front of a cop they could give you a ticket for it, but no one is going to be deliberately looking for this kind of activity.