**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Kabam, I have a complaint to make about the atlantean rifts event.

2»

Comments

• DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,554 Guardian
    AndTav said:

I do not depend on them, they depend on me. I believe that an active player like me, the arena servers will miss it.

Collectively the game depends on all the players. Individually, the game depends on none of them.

More importantly, the game should only try to keep the players it can reasonably keep. If there are players who think time limits are intrinsically unfair, even when they are informed and alerted to them, and even when those time limits offer many times more time than is necessary to complete the content being limited, trying to keep those players by completely eliminating everything from the game they don't like is probably not worth the effort.

If this game is not for you, leave gracefully. No online game community applauds people who quit the game for relatively trivial reasons. And this is a fairly trivial reason.

I've played a lot of online games. Most for less than a month. I don't presume that I was so important that those other games should have done more to keep me there. Because that would be silly.
  • HeavyBr3athingHeavyBr3athing Posts: 144 ★★
    What an over reaction. Jesus.

Quitting a game because you messed up with timings on a rift. The rewards not being that great anyway and then decide to blame Kabam for it. What?
  • JollyHawkJollyHawk Posts: 506 ★★★
    I think he's talking about the energy refills we got tonight from Kabam. Maybe he thinks it was just to him? Sounds about right.
    Caino1023 said:

Kabam actually compensated this guy with an energy refill...?

For clarification, that refill was compensation for those who did the Master Rifts before they reduced the energy from 5 a tile to 4 a tile. Which if I'm not mistaken, it wasn't supposed to be 5 energy from the get go. Everyone who did them while at 5 automatically got this. So no, they didn't just give it to him. A few players in our Alliance got one too.
  • FingfangfoomfanesFingfangfoomfanes Posts: 1,102 ★★★
    Same here got 2 energy.

The rifts used to reward 2000 five star shards (on top of the chance path reward) for epic difficulty. Wonder why it was omitted this time.
  • Same here got 2 energy.

The rifts used to reward 2000 five star shards (on top of the chance path reward) for epic difficulty. Wonder why it was omitted this time.

I heard something to the effect of 'The Team decided not to that this time.' This was brought up early on and I believe that was a mod's reply.
  • Notcho59Notcho59 Posts: 116
    The timer on these rifts is arbitrary. Name one good reason for them... I'll wait...

I was sitting down on my lunch break had full energy and I decided to get a master rift done I beat the first opponent and portal of to a t4b I'm super happy because I can't get enough of those and it's a highly used material. I beat the next two fights casually playing while eating lunch I still have 45 minutes left no big deal right? Before I can port over to the last section I decide to clean up my mess and walk back to my office ( I work in a hospital and often eat in the cafeteria) while I'm walking back a nurse stops me because her computer isn't working and she explained to me that it was urgent, so I go with her and look at her station. Turns out the computer just needed to be rebooted, but when I get back to my rift it has expired. Now I lose out on my t4b and the 5,000 shards for the epic rift just because I'm trying to be helpful.

TLDR: Timers are dumb
  • LormifLormif Posts: 7,369 ★★★★★
    Notcho59 said:

The timer on these rifts is arbitrary. Name one good reason for them... I'll wait...

I was sitting down on my lunch break had full energy and I decided to get a master rift done I beat the first opponent and portal of to a t4b I'm super happy because I can't get enough of those and it's a highly used material. I beat the next two fights casually playing while eating lunch I still have 45 minutes left no big deal right? Before I can port over to the last section I decide to clean up my mess and walk back to my office ( I work in a hospital and often eat in the cafeteria) while I'm walking back a nurse stops me because her computer isn't working and she explained to me that it was urgent, so I go with her and look at her station. Turns out the computer just needed to be rebooted, but when I get back to my rift it has expired. Now I lose out on my t4b and the 5,000 shards for the epic rift just because I'm trying to be helpful.

TLDR: Timers are dumb

because there needs to be a timer..

you started a rift with no intention of completing it then, that is on you. You are the one who decided to take a break and then get distracted by other things.
    @Lormif

What's a good reason to have the timer on these rifts? What purpose does it serve?

This is a mobile video game it's supposed to be played on the go.
    Notcho59 said:

@Lormif

What's a good reason to have the timer on these rifts? What purpose does it serve?

This is a mobile video game it's supposed to be played on the go.

played on the go, and not completing events are different. You do what you have time for. You chose to do something you did not have time for.

As for what purpose, it is probably there to keep the server resources from being tied up due to a short term event that will generally get vastly more connections during that time. Outside of that I doubt there is any reason I could give you that you would find good, because you made the argument subjective and not objective.
    I did have time for it and energy. I started during my lunch break and was playing at my leisure. I was interrupted by outside influences that I was not expecting. I could have been callus and told her to call in a ticket and I'll set up an appointment to go look at it. Regardless of the reason why it doesn't get completed all I'm saying is that the timer is pointless. I can be stuck in a story quest or event quest for over a month and it doesn't affect the servers. Even after server maintenance you will find your progress exactly where you left off (with the exception of mid-fight)

The only reason for timers that I can think of is to force players to use more energy refills.

Notcho59 said:

I did have time for it and energy. I started during my lunch break and was playing at my leisure. I was interrupted by outside influences that I was not expecting. I could have been callus and told her to call in a ticket and I'll set up an appointment to go look at it. Regardless of the reason why it doesn't get completed all I'm saying is that the timer is pointless. I can be stuck in a story quest or event quest for over a month and it doesn't affect the servers. Even after server maintenance you will find your progress exactly where you left off (with the exception of mid-fight)

The only reason for timers that I can think of is to force players to use more energy refills.

you were interupted by you deciding to pack up and leave. That is not outside influence.

the reason that story does not interrupt, as I pointed out in my previous post, is that those are not short term driving lots of load onto the server.
    My reasoning for no timers is that the game is on a mobile platform designed with the pickup and play functionality. I like being able to do a couple arena fights while waiting in line at just about anywhere or sitting in a lobby waiting on an appointment.

Could I be more cognisant my surroundings and all possible scenarios that might encounter? Yeah of course, but should I have to be? No I shouldn't. And I don't think the rewards I earn in my favorite mobile video game should be lost for a minor oversight or distraction.
  • danielmathdanielmath Posts: 4,041 ★★★★★
    Notcho59 said:

My reasoning for no timers is that the game is on a mobile platform designed with the pickup and play functionality. I like being able to do a couple arena fights while waiting in line at just about anywhere or sitting in a lobby waiting on an appointment.

Could I be more cognisant my surroundings and all possible scenarios that might encounter? Yeah of course, but should I have to be? No I shouldn't. And I don't think the rewards I earn in my favorite mobile video game should be lost for a minor oversight or distraction.

Do you think it's that unreasonable that you can find a 3 minute block of time over a month where you know you won't be distracted?
  • keyurd121keyurd121 Posts: 1
    This happened with me just now too. I started master rift and I had reached the defender before the boss and I ran out of energy. Now according to the timer there were more than 50 minutes left for the rift to end. I closed the game and started again after 20-25 minutes approximately and the rift was nowhere to be found. Forget the rewards I desperately needed the 5k tier 5 coral shards to begin my epic rift.
    Thanks kabam! After opening some crappy 5 star heroes I guess I was snatched the epic rift rewards as well.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,554 Guardian
    Notcho59 said:

And I don't think the rewards I earn in my favorite mobile video game should be lost for a minor oversight or distraction.

Most people don't think their rewards should be lost for any reason.

Everyone wants the game to adhere to their playstyle, and they feel if it doesn't there must be a justification for that. But in this case the justification for why there are timers is probably just because the devs wanted to include timers. It adds a very small strategic difficulty element to the event: you have to either manage your energy and time carefully, or spend refills or units to bypass those hurdles.

Placing hurdles in front of people that most people can simply play around but can also be spent around is a fundamental principle of free to play gaming. If everything was trivial to get around, no one would spend and the game couldn't operate. If everything was impossible to get around without spending the game would become pay to play and few people would try it. Free to play games aim for the middle, where most things are achievable by gameplay of different amounts and degrees, and for every such thing where there is a gameplay hurdle there is often the option to accelerate or bypass it by ultimately spending on it.

Also, just because this is a mobile game doesn't mean it has to be similar to all other mobile games. There are many mobile games that cannot simply be arbitrarily played for short bursts at random times. And there are mobile games that require your full attention to play properly, and require significant situational awareness of the point in the game you're at. MCOC can be played super-casually in many respects, but not in all of them. Timed event maps are one of those places where you can't. That's not wrong.

I'm an on-call professional. I could be called into an emergency at literally any moment in time. Because of that, dungeons are not really my thing because if I play in a random dungeon I might have to abandon my dungeon partner without warning. I won't even be able to tell them it happened because I'll be talking on the phone at the time. That's not a failure of the game design, it simply means there's a part of the game that's incompatible with my life at the moment. In a game that tries to offer something for everyone, lots of things will not be for me.