**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Variant Help

EvisceratorEviscerator Posts: 350 ★★
Lately I have been exploring variant 1, but hit a brick wall on chapter 2.1. I completed chapter 1 with minimal revives, but the spite node on 2.1 just wrecks me. Sparky's taunt doesn't seem to do anything, and magik loses 7% health per blocked attack. Gitting gud won't work because the AI saves for sp3. Anyone have any tips?

PS I have a mystic AG if it would help in some way.

Comments

• CliffordcanCliffordcan Posts: 1,341 ★★★★
    Chapter 2 is a pain. But Sparky is great there. I recommend getting him ranked up. Magik is great too, but mine is dupped and R4. Maybe MS can be good? Does she gain power from Spite as well?
  • danielmathdanielmath Posts: 4,043 ★★★★★

Chapter 2 is a pain. But Sparky is great there. I recommend getting him ranked up. Magik is great too, but mine is dupped and R4. Maybe MS can be good? Does she gain power from Spite as well?

MS doesn't copy the power gain from spite, no. She was solid for some of variant 1, but mine is a max sig 5/65, don't think she'd be too useful at even r3
  • Msyounus1288Msyounus1288 Posts: 221 ★★
    Just don’t build poise with sparky. If you don’t have the cruelty buff from dexterity you won’t have to worry about spite as much. Try to build poise when evading specials as long as your aggressive enough spite will only be active for the duration of the specials.
  • CliffordcanCliffordcan Posts: 1,341 ★★★★
    Also, IMIW was great there. But left him out as I didn’t see him in your champs.
  • Mirage_TurtleMirage_Turtle Posts: 1,868 ★★★★
    I WISH I had Magik for that section. Still missing her. If you decide to use her, only block when limbo is active. Otherwise, try to treat it like stun immune and fight without blocking.

I found Yondu to be very good here. Don't forget, the more debuffs he places, the more their power gain is reduced. And he doesn't naturally gain any buffs. He's great for Spite nodes.

Finally, I'd probably take Vision (AoU) to rank 5 and put him to use if you're really struggling with Spite. The fights will be long, but they'll be reasonably safe.
  • EvisceratorEviscerator Posts: 350 ★★
    Thanks guys. I'll try again
  • WerewrymWerewrym Posts: 2,830 ★★★★★

Lately I have been exploring variant 1, but hit a brick wall on chapter 2.1. I completed chapter 1 with minimal revives, but the spite node on 2.1 just wrecks me. Sparky's taunt doesn't seem to do anything, and magik loses 7% health per blocked attack. Gitting gud won't work because the AI saves for sp3. Anyone have any tips?

PS I have a mystic AG if it would help in some way.

Never underestimate the fact that this is permanent content. I beat chapter 2 with mainly my 4* Sparky, r4 SL and r4 Magik. I understand completely the frustration that is the spite node. I can't even count the number of times I backed out and restarted. Had to be in the range of 50-100 times. Until you get going on that perfect run just keep restarting and save your potions and units.

As far as team advice, I'd rank up Magik and MS if you can. Those two will help you out a lot in that chapter. Is there any specific path that is giving you trouble? If I knew which path you were taking I could probably give better advice on who to use.
    @Werewyrm either the far right power gain path or the dulled path

@Werewyrm either the far right power gain path or the dulled path

If you are just doing a once through for now I'd avoid the power gain path. It's not a lot of fun. I took the dulled path on my first run through and it was definitely the easiest path in that chapter. The only really hard fight there is Void, but as long as you time your combo's correctly and get rid of his debuffs you should be fine. For the spite I believe I used Magik at r4 on Void. I still stand by my original advice to rank up Magik and MS. Both will do very good in chapter 2 of Variant.
    Should I awaken magik?

Should I awaken magik?

She doesn't have to be awakened. Mine is still unawakened. However, her limbo ability can be pretty useful to get back some block damage or any other damage you take. I'd try it with her unawakened first and see if you can get it done.