**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

AW node bug new map - psychic Thorns

Comments

• Options
    xNigxNig Posts: 7,249 ★★★★★

xNig said:

xNig said:

I took that path last war and after some testing here’s my conclusion.

Psychic thorns work exactly like the regular thorns node. Medium and lights that deal energy damage do not receive thorns damage eg Magneto SymSup. However, this does not heal as it is still a “contact hit” where the attacker makes contact but deals energy damage instead of physical.

Physical attacks will receive the thorns damage. Take OR for example. His medium, light and specials all deal physical damage, hence will take damage from Psychic Thorns. From the looks of it, OR seems to able to avoid damage from “Physical Thorns” (eg Korg) because the tentacles don’t take thorns damage, but against Psychic Thorns he still does because he deals physical damage.

Now that what constitutes as a “contact hit” has been established, what are the “non contact hits” that heal?

Simple. Non contact hits are, in general, projectiles, for example, Blade’s sp1/2 Shurikens/Bullets, War Machine’s full sp1, Iron Man’s sp1/2 etc, anything that is thrown or fired.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

If this holds true, then at some point, somewhere in the description of the node it has to say that champions abilities cannot bypass this damage. Eg OR usually not taking thorns damage or Black Widow being able to avoid Thorns being triggered back to her.

It is not ok to have players test and spend potions and units on it just because the explanation of the mechanic of the node is sloppy. If Things that have always worked against thorns so far suddenly become obsolete then it has to be mentioned. Or it is a bug, which means that then people should be awarded back any item they had to use.

In any case: this whole experiment because nodes aren’t properly explained part is a major concern about new content being released.
    Just re-read OR’s abilities. It states that the tentacles are immune to enemies abilities that deal instant passive damage.

If we were to be very technical about it, Psychic thorns isn’t an “enemy ability”, it’s a node.

When planning for this path I kinda expected OR to be unable to bypass it so I had my alliance’s Quakes and SymSups handle that path.
    Again. I am mostly referring to black widow whose signature ability works perfectly against eg spiked armor nodes. Or Korg, not taking damage from his Thorns either. So again, the node description of psychic thorns mention nowhere that the mechanic is different from normal thorns. Nor does it explain that ability reduction is not able to bypass this. Which is sloppy and making people have to test it. Meaning people, again, will use potions because Kabam just has no clear explanation of its nodes which is not acceptable. Everyone here can be a smartass about how to interpret certain nodes but the fact that we need to interpret it in the first place and after having experimented is a joke. Say what it is then people can bring appropriate champs and nothing to complain about.
    The only similarity between Thorns and Psychic Thorns is just the name containing the word "Thorns". =X

Ok in a more serious note, I'm also surprised that BW's ability reduction doesn't work against Psychic Thorns. Do you have any videos to show? It could be because BW's ability is 70% currently and still takes some damage, which is expected? Was she fighting a mutant on that node?

Too many variables to account for imo. I mean, someone could see that BW takes damage from that node but not see that she does not take damage from EVERY hit. Just tossing out probable situations.
  • Options
    gohard123gohard123 Posts: 998 ★★★
    xNig said:

xNig said:

Psychic thorns work exactly like the regular thorns node. Medium and lights that deal energy damage do not receive thorns damage eg Magneto SymSup. However, this does not heal as it is still a “contact hit” where the attacker makes contact but deals energy damage instead of physical.

Physical attacks will receive the thorns damage. Take OR for example. His medium, light and specials all deal physical damage, hence will take damage from Psychic Thorns. From the looks of it, OR seems to able to avoid damage from “Physical Thorns” (eg Korg) because the tentacles don’t take thorns damage, but against Psychic Thorns he still does because he deals physical damage.

Now that what constitutes as a “contact hit” has been established, what are the “non contact hits” that heal?

Simple. Non contact hits are, in general, projectiles, for example, Blade’s sp1/2 Shurikens/Bullets, War Machine’s full sp1, Iron Man’s sp1/2 etc, anything that is thrown or fired.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

If this holds true, then at some point, somewhere in the description of the node it has to say that champions abilities cannot bypass this damage. Eg OR usually not taking thorns damage or Black Widow being able to avoid Thorns being triggered back to her.

It is not ok to have players test and spend potions and units on it just because the explanation of the mechanic of the node is sloppy. If Things that have always worked against thorns so far suddenly become obsolete then it has to be mentioned. Or it is a bug, which means that then people should be awarded back any item they had to use.

In any case: this whole experiment because nodes aren’t properly explained part is a major concern about new content being released.
    Just re-read OR’s abilities. It states that the tentacles are immune to enemies abilities that deal instant passive damage.

If we were to be very technical about it, Psychic thorns isn’t an “enemy ability”, it’s a node.

When planning for this path I kinda expected OR to be unable to bypass it so I had my alliance’s Quakes and SymSups handle that path.
    xNig said:

xNig said:

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Spiked armor is a node and OR bypasses it.
  • Options
    gohard123 said:

xNig said:

xNig said:

Hope this helps. Cheers.

xNig said:

xNig said:

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Mentioned above. Spiked Armor deals Physical damage. OR bypasses it.

Psychic Thorns deal Energy damage. OR doesn't bypass it.
  • Options
    MirageNoirMirageNoir Posts: 73
    xNig said:

xNig said:

xNig said:

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Again. I am mostly referring to black widow whose signature ability works perfectly against eg spiked armor nodes. Or Korg, not taking damage from his Thorns either. So again, the node description of psychic thorns mention nowhere that the mechanic is different from normal thorns. Nor does it explain that ability reduction is not able to bypass this. Which is sloppy and making people have to test it. Meaning people, again, will use potions because Kabam just has no clear explanation of its nodes which is not acceptable. Everyone here can be a smartass about how to interpret certain nodes but the fact that we need to interpret it in the first place and after having experimented is a joke. Say what it is then people can bring appropriate champs and nothing to complain about.
    The only similarity between Thorns and Psychic Thorns is just the name containing the word "Thorns". =X

Ok in a more serious note, I'm also surprised that BW's ability reduction doesn't work against Psychic Thorns. Do you have any videos to show? It could be because BW's ability is 70% currently and still takes some damage, which is expected? Was she fighting a mutant on that node?

Too many variables to account for imo. I mean, someone could see that BW takes damage from that node but not see that she does not take damage from EVERY hit. Just tossing out probable situations.
    Well both nodes “thorns” or “psychic” thorns basically just say that damage is reflected on hit. So not only by the word thorns are they connected.
    Black Widow is sig 200. 80% at r5 and was fighting against Spidergwen, so adding another 15% to her sig ability making it a > 90% which clearly means her ability reduction doesn’t work on psychic thorns as I got damage on every single hit.
  • Options
    xNig said:

gohard123 said:

xNig said:

xNig said:

Hope this helps. Cheers.

xNig said:

xNig said:

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Where does it say that it’s energy damage? It just says direct damage when dealt physical damage.
  • Options

xNig said:

gohard123 said:

xNig said:

xNig said:

Hope this helps. Cheers.

xNig said:

xNig said:

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Where does it say that it’s energy damage? It just says direct damage when dealt physical damage.
    Erm.... the name.. 😂
  • Options

xNig said:

xNig said:

xNig said:

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Well both nodes “thorns” or “psychic” thorns basically just say that damage is reflected on hit. So not only by the word thorns are they connected.
    Black Widow is sig 200. 80% at r5 and was fighting against Spidergwen, so adding another 15% to her sig ability making it a > 90% which clearly means her ability reduction doesn’t work on psychic thorns as I got damage on every single hit.
    Makes sense. Might need a mod to chime in on this.
  • Options
    WeeHobbit89WeeHobbit89 Posts: 146
    I used mephisto on that node. His heavy, normal and whip hits cause degeneration and his sp1 hits cause him to regenerate. Didn’t use sp2 so not sure on that one. That node is working fine
  • Options
    gohard123gohard123 Posts: 998 ★★★
    xNig said:

Erm.... the name.. 😂
    When does 'psychic' now mean energy?
  • Options
    CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    Last I checked Spiked Armor gave OR the damage back. Did they change it semi recently?
  • Options
    Kobster84Kobster84 Posts: 2,898 ★★★★★
    xNig said:

gohard123 said:

xNig said:

xNig said:

Hope this helps. Cheers.

xNig said:

xNig said:

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Only thing is omega can bypass magiks limbo which is energy damage
  • Options
    Kobster84 said:

xNig said:

gohard123 said:

xNig said:

xNig said:

Hope this helps. Cheers.

xNig said:

xNig said:

Hope this helps. Cheers.

He bypasses electro’s reflective energy damage....
  • Options
    Kobster84Kobster84 Posts: 2,898 ★★★★★

Kobster84 said:

xNig said:

gohard123 said:

xNig said:

xNig said:

Hope this helps. Cheers.

xNig said:

xNig said:

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Yes that’s why I’m saying it can’t be because by physic thorns is energy damage
  • Options
    Kobster84 said:

Kobster84 said:

xNig said:

gohard123 said:

xNig said:

xNig said:

Hope this helps. Cheers.

xNig said:

xNig said:

Hope this helps. Cheers.

I’m with ya, just adding to the chain, showing there is a lot of misinformation going around here; also IMO electro is the most well known example to contradict the assertion it has anything to do with energy damage.

Speculation: Anyways wouldn’t be surprised if psychic thorns is part of s new damage/ability class and intended to bypass ability accuracy reduction and damage mitigation. That makes me wonder if champions that have that hidden “psychic resistance” bypass/mitigate it also; Juggs, Mags and UC.
  • Options

Kobster84 said:

Kobster84 said:

xNig said:

gohard123 said:

xNig said:

xNig said:

Hope this helps. Cheers.

xNig said:

xNig said:

Hope this helps. Cheers.

I’m with ya, just adding to the chain, showing there is a lot of misinformation going around here; also IMO electro is the most well known example to contradict the assertion it has anything to do with energy damage.

Speculation: Anyways wouldn’t be surprised if psychic thorns is part of s new damage/ability class and intended to bypass ability accuracy reduction and damage mitigation. That makes me wonder if champions that have that hidden “psychic resistance” bypass/mitigate it also; Juggs, Mags and UC.
    Mags will anyways bypass as it is proven now that champions that deal energy damage like Mags, Dorm, SymSup are not taking damage from psychic thorns.
  • Options

Kobster84 said:

Kobster84 said:

xNig said:

gohard123 said:

xNig said:

xNig said:

Hope this helps. Cheers.

xNig said:

xNig said:

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Mags will anyways bypass as it is proven now that champions that deal energy damage like Mags, Dorm, SymSup are not taking damage from psychic thorns.

Kobster84 said:

Kobster84 said:

xNig said:

gohard123 said:

xNig said:

xNig said:

Hope this helps. Cheers.

xNig said:

xNig said:

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Interesting...
  • Options
    winterthurwinterthur Posts: 7,771 ★★★★★
    edited June 2019

Hey there, we'll ask the rest of the team about this and see what I can find out. Also, for anyone who hasn't already, could you confirm what Champion you were using and at what rank and level when you experienced this issue? Also, could you include if the Champion was awakened and what level their signature ability was at?

Did not play AW in between season.
    Joined and fought first time champ on Psychic Thorns 1 (Tile 16). Used 5☆ (OG) Vision rank 4/5, level 26/55, sig 80. Defender was Yondu.

Fired multiple specials one but did not see any healing (was not healed block as Yondu was power drained). Won, but health level low.

Any other explanation I could have missed on not seeing heal?

Edit: Finished posting and saw game down message. :o
  • Options

Hey there, we'll ask the rest of the team about this and see what I can find out. Also, for anyone who hasn't already, could you confirm what Champion you were using and at what rank and level when you experienced this issue? Also, could you include if the Champion was awakened and what level their signature ability was at?

Joined and fought first time champ on Psychic Thorns 1 (Tile 16). Used 5☆ (OG) Vision rank 4/5, level 26/55, sig 80. Defender was Yondu.

Fired multiple specials one but did not see any healing (was not healed block as Yondu was power drained). Won, but health level low.

Vision’s specials do not deal any damage. It’s the power drain that’s dealing the damage. Since the actual special does 0 damage, it will also heal for 0 health.
  • Options
    winterthurwinterthur Posts: 7,771 ★★★★★
    xNig said:

Vision’s specials do not deal any damage. It’s the power drain that’s dealing the damage. Since the actual special does 0 damage, it will also heal for 0 health.
    Wow ... pretty technical. Thanks!
  • Options

xNig said:

Wow ... pretty technical. Thanks!
    Haha. Welcome. One of my alliance members also had the same question just today. What a coincidence.
  • Options
    VoluntarisVoluntaris Posts: 1,198 ★★★

new version ensures that Omega does not receive damage in thorns node. was updated yesterday and today in war first node path 3 and the result is 1 death because Omega is still receiving damage ....
    @Kabam Miike

can confirm that Omega Red is back to taking damage from psychic thorns, using his heavy attack
  • Options
    VoluntarisVoluntaris Posts: 1,198 ★★★

new version ensures that Omega does not receive damage in thorns node. was updated yesterday and today in war first node path 3 and the result is 1 death because Omega is still receiving damage ....
    @Kabam Miike

can confirm that Omega Red is back to taking damage from psychic thorns, using his heavy attack
    will this problem also happen to you?
    it did, yes. in the war we just started. Omega Red receiving psychic thorns damage when doing a heavy attack.
  • Options
    MrBigshot23MrBigshot23 Posts: 3
    Last war didn’t take damage with OR from thorns since I heard bug was fixed and switched back from my 4* quake. This war I was dead in 43 hits from thorns damage. What is going on?
  • Options
    BSiZzLe1BSiZzLe1 Posts: 5
    Having this same problem... why is this happening yet again? I thought this interaction between psychic thorns and OR tentacle hits was fixed?? @Kabam Lyra
This discussion has been closed.