**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Map 5 Hyperion Mini-Boss Counters?

So, even with the nerf, the Hyperion map 5 minibosses can be a tough fight without being able to gain power for the first bit of the fight, and the second one even more of a BS fight, as sadist punishes one of the best counters to him. Alliance mates have tried a variety of counters, from Gwenpool to Vision, but I still find two to be the best.

We will start with the obvious one, which is Magik. Of course, you are counting on RNG for Hype to throw specials instead of turtling up and hitting you with an L3. Once you can gain power, you should be able to get to L2 quickly and rule the rest of the fight, especially if you have MD 3+ where you get power each time his power gain buff expires. If you are not able to bait specials, if you are able to get to your L1 fast enough and trigger Limbo, you could possibly also eat an L3 if he throws it while Limbo is active, assuming your Magik is awakened and strong enough to take one L3.

Most of the time my Magik is in AW, so I've found the best counter to be Luke Cage. You still rely quite a bit on RNG, but he can work out in most fights. For one, you have a safeguard and can eat an L3 without damage because of his awakened ability (and perhaps another later in the fight, but you shouldn't need to) if you fail to bait successfully in the beginning. With Luke Cage, his light attacks have a chance to trigger exhaustion debuffs, and each exhaustion reduces power gain effects by 25%. So, if you can get 4 exhaustion on him, you stop his power gain when his buff procs. With more than 4, it actually reverses the power gain. Now you are counting on RNG for Hype to throw specials and for LC to proc exhaustion, but it is generally doable. The trick is to fight pretty aggressively using MLLLL combos to maximize light hits to proc exhaustion, but leave yourself open in small windows for him to throw specials. You can stop his power gain sometimes even before you can start to gain power yourself, or lessen it, at the very least, giving more time to bait (watch Dork Lessons vid on baiting like a ninja if you need help).

I like to save up to LC's L3 because it puts 5 exhaustion charges on the opponent. After that, it is easy to keep 4+ throughout the rest of the fight, and the rest is cake. My last fight, I had 9 exhaustion on him. After the first L3, I usually just use the L1 to chain stun, but it depends on how exhaustion is proc'ing.

Here's the rub. The second Hype has a sadist node on him, so for each debuff he gains 50% attack. This irked me, as it punishes one of the few good counters there is. That means with 4 exhaustion debuffs, he has an additional 200% attack (and for 9, forget about it), so you have to play very well. Still bait specials and punish them when you can, get your intercept game on point, and always land parries to avoid detrimental block damage. And of course, don't get hit. :)

A couple other viable counters would be The Hood, Symbiote Supreme, although I haven't tried those, and Switch (if they would make her a 5 star, as the 4 star isn't quite strong enough if your alliance has decent prestige).

Anyway, still think he is sort of an OP mini for map 5 and most people running it, but I hope these suggestions help. Please comment with any other good counters you have found to help out the community.

Comments

• Whiskey_PoetWhiskey_Poet Posts: 238 ★★
    A duped Iceman could work with his ice armor reforming every 12 seconds, allowing you to eat multiple L3s with only 5% damage.
    She-Hulk could work well with her furies stacking a taunt effect on Hype, makong it easier to bait specials. Especially if you get good RNG on the specials early.
  • Kobster84Kobster84 Posts: 2,898 ★★★★★

A duped Iceman could work with his ice armor reforming every 12 seconds, allowing you to eat multiple L3s with only 5% damage.
    She-Hulk could work well with her furies stacking a taunt effect on Hype, makong it easier to bait specials. Especially if you get good RNG on the specials early.

Iceman won’t work due to empathic lock unless you can get to an sp3
    @Kobster84 Good call!
  • bamabbbamabb Posts: 17
    Ghost works with hood synergy. His specials don’t matter. Push him to his SP3. He triggers it pretty much immediately so easy to time your phase.
  • Bear3Bear3 Posts: 996 ★★★
    I take down both hype bosses with 4/55 awakened gwenpool... baiting specials... ate 2 sp3’s between the two mini bosses. Really not that hard a fight.
  • Scøøby_DøøScøøby_Døø Posts: 89
    R4+ duped void takes him out so easily. as soon as your fist pertify debuff lands, you can basically just go ham at him.
  • SeraphionSeraphion Posts: 1,496 ★★★★

So, even with the nerf, the Hyperion map 5 minibosses can be a tough fight without being able to gain power for the first bit of the fight, and the second one even more of a BS fight, as sadist punishes one of the best counters to him. Alliance mates have tried a variety of counters, from Gwenpool to Vision, but I still find two to be the best.

We will start with the obvious one, which is Magik. Of course, you are counting on RNG for Hype to throw specials instead of turtling up and hitting you with an L3. Once you can gain power, you should be able to get to L2 quickly and rule the rest of the fight, especially if you have MD 3+ where you get power each time his power gain buff expires. If you are not able to bait specials, if you are able to get to your L1 fast enough and trigger Limbo, you could possibly also eat an L3 if he throws it while Limbo is active, assuming your Magik is awakened and strong enough to take one L3.

Most of the time my Magik is in AW, so I've found the best counter to be Luke Cage. You still rely quite a bit on RNG, but he can work out in most fights. For one, you have a safeguard and can eat an L3 without damage because of his awakened ability (and perhaps another later in the fight, but you shouldn't need to) if you fail to bait successfully in the beginning. With Luke Cage, his light attacks have a chance to trigger exhaustion debuffs, and each exhaustion reduces power gain effects by 25%. So, if you can get 4 exhaustion on him, you stop his power gain when his buff procs. With more than 4, it actually reverses the power gain. Now you are counting on RNG for Hype to throw specials and for LC to proc exhaustion, but it is generally doable. The trick is to fight pretty aggressively using MLLLL combos to maximize light hits to proc exhaustion, but leave yourself open in small windows for him to throw specials. You can stop his power gain sometimes even before you can start to gain power yourself, or lessen it, at the very least, giving more time to bait (watch Dork Lessons vid on baiting like a ninja if you need help).

I like to save up to LC's L3 because it puts 5 exhaustion charges on the opponent. After that, it is easy to keep 4+ throughout the rest of the fight, and the rest is cake. My last fight, I had 9 exhaustion on him. After the first L3, I usually just use the L1 to chain stun, but it depends on how exhaustion is proc'ing.

Here's the rub. The second Hype has a sadist node on him, so for each debuff he gains 50% attack. This irked me, as it punishes one of the few good counters there is. That means with 4 exhaustion debuffs, he has an additional 200% attack (and for 9, forget about it), so you have to play very well. Still bait specials and punish them when you can, get your intercept game on point, and always land parries to avoid detrimental block damage. And of course, don't get hit. :)

A couple other viable counters would be The Hood, Symbiote Supreme, although I haven't tried those, and Switch (if they would make her a 5 star, as the 4 star isn't quite strong enough if your alliance has decent prestige).

Anyway, still think he is sort of an OP mini for map 5 and most people running it, but I hope these suggestions help. Please comment with any other good counters you have found to help out the community.

I soloed hyperion every day so far and 3 days where with LC. I have almost no problem fighting him. Maybe Im a bit lucky but it always works.

Btw the +50% damage when getting a debuff doesnt really matter since you parry him 1 time at the start of the fight. After that you only punish SPs or stunlock him. Maybe you parry a second time when your stun fails or you have to much exaustions on him. I do it with a 4* LC.

I once even took a full combo (without passive) and got maybe -50% hp since LC is really tanky and hyperion has a low crit rating.

1 more trick:

You can pause right before he gets to SP3 (when you dont have the dupe up) and wait for the timeout. You loose 50% hp but can fight again
  • Papitorico1216Papitorico1216 Posts: 1
    Hey guys wtf is going on with Hyperion aq 5 is he a nodo of all or nothing? Why in the f he doesn’t release the power all the f time got to special 3 and kill me
  • Msyounus1288Msyounus1288 Posts: 221 ★★
    Doc oc the best counter. Automatic power lock. You can heavy lock him against the wall doesn’t even reach a bar of power.
    Seraphion said:

I soloed hyperion every day so far and 3 days where with LC. I have almost no problem fighting him. Maybe Im a bit lucky but it always works.

Btw the +50% damage when getting a debuff doesnt really matter since you parry him 1 time at the start of the fight. After that you only punish SPs or stunlock him. Maybe you parry a second time when your stun fails or you have to much exaustions on him. I do it with a 4* LC.

I once even took a full combo (without passive) and got maybe -50% hp since LC is really tanky and hyperion has a low crit rating.

1 more trick:

You can pause right before he gets to SP3 (when you dont have the dupe up) and wait for the timeout. You loose 50% hp but can fight again
    @Seraphion, good work! That's why I posted this. LC has worked perfectly for me, but have heard a lot of complaints on the boss in various Line chats. Figured it might help some others out.
    Also realized tht Magik wouldn't be that great, as she would powerlock herself with Hype. :(
    Really not a ton of counters, but hopefully this helps some find one that works for them.
  • JOHNOSA1995JOHNOSA1995 Posts: 536 ★★
    Luke cage
    Vision
    Sw
    Magic
    Juggernaut
    Jean foster
    Hwakeye
  • ArpollitoArpollito Posts: 39

Luke Cage
  • Kenny292Kenny292 Posts: 536 ★★
    Void’s my favorite option. Been using a 5/50 Void even with the -10% attack for science champs and soloing him pretty easily most days before having to worry about timing out late in the week.
  • RJustice_209RJustice_209 Posts: 213 ★★
    She Hulk
  • roberto94roberto94 Posts: 779 ★★

If you use Doc Oc, Hyperion will be power locked within a few seconds thanks to the Physics Breakthrough. From there the Power Lock is essentially permanent if you can effectively land Parries and Heavy Attacks. Even better, a duped Doc Oc will siphon a portion of Hyperion’s power for himself! When Doc Oc gets to 3 bars the fight is essentially a wrap as a 15 second Power Lock gets applied and can be reset every time the Doctor uses an SP1.

So all I need to do is enter the fight with Doc ock - parry - auto power lock?

• I'm quite limited on options and our alliance has a decent prestige so he hits like a truck. Personally I use r5 5* Starky. Which sounds counter-intuitive but the taunt debuff really helps to bait those specials out, they're easy to dodge and gain some poise charges back. When he throws a heavy I roll back and let Smack Talk refresh the taunt. If he's being a tortoise though I have the parry/heavy on hand to take him back down from sp3. It's not the best combo, and I really can't eat more than one sp3. But usually it works to either one shot, or at least take the final 70-80% or so if someone has already had a round with him. It's really not ideal, but it can work if you have few options. Personally I hate Hyperion week.
  • Anurag1606Anurag1606 Posts: 1,172 ★★★
    Claire voyant is an amazing option now. These days I'm using CV to take down Hyperion without any hassle.
  • solmyrairsolmyrair Posts: 388
    I saw Symbiote Supreme taking him down like he was nothing..
  • MegaSkater67MegaSkater67 Posts: 1,377 ★★★★
    Personally I think dormammu is one of the best options. You don’t need to worry about being power locked when the fight starts because you can drain his power without specials. It’s pretty easy to keep him under control with just that, but then you can build up to SP2, drain a massive amount of power and keep him locked whilst you continue to take more away with your medium drain. Very easy fight with dormammu and he’s also reliable, you’re not relying on him throwing specials or any kind of RNG.

Symbiote supreme works though, you can steal his power easily, tank his specials, nullify his power gain buffs. He has quite a few abilities that can help him take control in that fight. Then you can just melt his health away with bleed and armour break.
  • Owl_0wlOwl_0wl Posts: 210
    scarlet witch and hawkeye, pretty easy once you get past emphatic lock, i use 5* and 6* hawkeye plus scarlet witch as my map 5 hype team. Additional power gain in synergies plus scarlet witch still shreds high prestige AQs
  • Ice_and_FireIce_and_Fire Posts: 220
    Void does the trick for me every aq. Run x2 map five every round and I'm legit the designated Hyperion killer. Just have to slow play with void a bit to get the debuff you need rocking first. Other then that you could use most any power control champ. I used to use psylocke and vision