**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

What do you all consider a WHALE?

smy168smy168 Posts: 206 ★★
edited July 2023 in General Discussion
What defines a whale?
I get that there are the cool kids that like to brag about never spending a dime on the game (not impressed)
Then there are people that buy smart holiday deals (makes sense)
People who spend on crystal cracking (can be fun and expensive)

What I'm trying to find out is what are the dollar amounts people consider are "whales".

I spend a little on the game, I don't mind dropping dollars on packages that I like, I don't feel like I'm a "wallet warrior" but this is a hobby game for me. Anyone feel like sharing some thoughts on this...?
Post edited by Kabam Jax on

Comments

• DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,558 Guardian
    There's an insider definition that is based on total spend, and then there's what other players would consider a whale. In terms of the latter, I tend to think of whales as spending more than $50 a month on average, which would be $600 a year. The logic behind that is that I wouldn't consider someone buying one video game a month to be a "video game whale" and so I think someone spending on an online game should spend significantly more than that to be considered a whale. Beyond that, that number feels like it would be about what a player would spend on this game if they bought all the good high value offers and somewhat more than that besides.
  • smy168smy168 Posts: 206 ★★
    I plan on spending for July 4th deals, now sure how many or how much, but the resources they will offer would be enough for me to stock up. My FTP is about a year old now and it's growing well but very slowly, smart of Kabam to give noobs an easier chance to get 5s because resources in the early stages are difficult at best to acquire. They can create spenders...

Thanks for the input...just needed to ask and get some thoughts.

• TehsigzorzTehsigzorz Posts: 1,233 ★★★★
    I would say anyone that spends more than $100 a month
  • TehsigzorzTehsigzorz Posts: 1,233 ★★★★
    Drooped2 said:

I would say anyone that spends more than $100 a month

That's more like a guppy in this game
    a guppy would be 5 to 10 dollars, a dolphin is 50 and a whale is 100 to a thousand. Then you got the big krakens spending 1k to infinite and beyond
  • HedronHedron Posts: 359
    Whale is defined as the largest mammal in the present time of earth😁😁
  • HendrossHendross Posts: 938 ★★★
    Avg. $100/week is whaley imho
    I think the game based on Marvel catches a lot of the older generation (like me) that grew up on Marvel, that said at a specific age range Kabam will have the people with expendable income. Probably a small contributor then there are just rich people that have crazy disposables that actually just whale out.
  • CoMinowCoMinow Posts: 294
    Midnite93 said:

Crystal opening whale

I'm just a small fish according to what i hear, and i prolly waste more than everyone here said except what @Zuko_ILC ... said
  • HaminHamin Posts: 2,444 ★★★★★
    edited June 2019
    Orcas, humpbacks, sperm, blue, narwhals... Not dolphins or porpoises, though.
  • HaminHamin Posts: 2,444 ★★★★★
    Drooped2 said:

Hamin said:

Orcas, humpbacks, sperm, blue, narwhals... Not dolphins or porpoises, though.

I was a sperm once. I certainly dont call myself a whale tho

:)
    I can always count on my Droop.
  • OmegaManOmegaMan Posts: 383 ★★★
    Anyone spending more than 100.00 a week average
  • New_Noob168New_Noob168 Posts: 1,562 ★★★★
    Someone with a "Whale" in his in-game name that spends roughly $10,000 a month on crystals when he probably could do better things with that money.
  • KerneasKerneas Posts: 3,722 ★★★★★
    @smy168 please check out youtube channel named "Crystal opening whale". I'd share a link but idk Kabam's policy about this
  • 0chris9999999990chris999999999 Posts: 137
    There are great games on console for $60. BOTW, GoW, spidermanPS4....if you spend that amount/mth you are a whale. I don’t know what purpose of OP except to get combative? Not impressed? I’m not impressed with someone that spends to get advantage...and if it’s a hobby game why are you spending? Reoccurring spending is whale. You are basically paying for Hulu, Netflix, Disney, combined. With those subscriptions you at least get content. You don’t have such guarantees in a game.

There are great games on console for $60. BOTW, GoW, spidermanPS4....if you spend that amount/mth you are a whale. I don’t know what purpose of OP except to get combative? Not impressed? I’m not impressed with someone that spends to get advantage...and if it’s a hobby game why are you spending? Reoccurring spending is whale. You are basically paying for Hulu, Netflix, Disney, combined. With those subscriptions you at least get content. You don’t have such guarantees in a game.

I was just curious, not being combative at all but you seem to be irked by my post? My alliance was chatting about, I thought I would just ask because I do spend on the game but have seen so many things about whales and honestly don't know what a whale would spend to be considered a whale.

My apologies if I offended you.
  • 0chris9999999990chris999999999 Posts: 137
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S-DGTBZU14

This answers your question completely and story from folks is heartbreaking
  • gforcefangforcefan Posts: 381 ★★★
    smy168 said:

I think the game based on Marvel catches a lot of the older generation (like me) that grew up on Marvel, that said at a specific age range Kabam will have the people with expendable income. Probably a small contributor then there are just rich people that have crazy disposables that actually just whale out.

We are probably in the same boat. I have the age and some disposable income, but can only justify spending to so much on a mobile game. I usually get the July 4th, cyber Monday deals, etc., but would never drop 50 to 100 bucks to buy some crystals for a chance at getting something I need. I guess there are much better ways to gamble for me.
This discussion has been closed.