**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Pulling the same champion over and over again

I have pulled a 4* Ghost Rider at least 3 times this month and just pulled a 5* Ghost Rider for the 3rd time and I am getting tired of it. It’s just not mathematically possible to keep pulling the same champion over and over - especially back to back. Very discouraging!

Comments

• Kobster84Kobster84 Posts: 2,898 ★★★★★
    He’s not bad though so take your luck while you can
  • JohnHSJohnHS Posts: 509 ★★★
    It is mathematically possible. Unlikely? Sure. Possible? Absolutely. You're jsut unlucky (or I'd argue lucky, as a big fan of Ghost Rider). Frustrating, but to be expected at a certain point in a luck-based game.
  • McFinMcFin Posts: 45
    GR is a beast to be sure, just needing some diversity in my 5* grouping and was hoping for something else. I have already duped my Morningstar 3 times, Howard the Duck twice and Blade twice as well...
  • DjkrdjjDjkrdjj Posts: 444 ★★

McFin said:

I have pulled a 4* Ghost Rider at least 3 times this month and just pulled a 5* Ghost Rider for the 3rd time and I am getting tired of it. It’s just not mathematically possible to keep pulling the same champion over and over - especially back to back. Very discouraging!

Tbh repeatedly pulling ghost rider is better than constantly pulling hulkbuster and other garbage over and over
    If u don’t use gR becuz of better mystics and rather have tech iso
    Than I’d rather pull hulkbuster

Djkrdjj said:

McFin said:

Tbh repeatedly pulling ghost rider is better than constantly pulling hulkbuster and other garbage over and over
    If u don’t use gR becuz of better mystics and rather have tech iso
    Than I’d rather pull hulkbuster
    In all fairness I rather get my account banned than have a 5/6* hulk buster
    I mean for the dupe as a 4 star

• Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,172 ★★★★★
    McFin said:

I had a Rocket Raccoon month a while back, pulling him as a 2, 3, 4 and 5 star, and multiple times for the 2, 3 and 4.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 20,959 ★★★★★

The frequency that this type of unlikely “random” event occurs leads people to draw the conclusion that things are not as random as they are presented. How many players have pulled the same class of AG 3-4 times in a row. Sure seems like a lot of borderline mathematical impossibilities happen in mcoc 😏

The same result over a x amount of times doesn't mean its not random. isn't that actually the pure definition of RNG?

I think most people think RNG means i won't get the same thing over and over because its not "random". But that really is what RNG does.
  • PrathapPrathap Posts: 581 ★★★
    McFin said:

You are complaining about GR that too 4*. wait till you get Magneto or Cyclops 5* repeatedly... Speaking from experience 😂
  • KattohSKattohS Posts: 717 ★★

Guess knowing how to multiply fractions means we have a PhD in math. It’s unlikely not impossible. you would have eventually gotten him a few times and once you get him to max you’ll get the max sig crystal
    Plus GR is a great character by himself he has nice utility

When he gets him to max sig he will stop pulling him from crystals.

RNG baby.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 20,959 ★★★★★

McFin said:

Flip a coin. Is it possible to get heads 10 times in a row? Yes. Likely? No but still possible. So is pulling GR like you have. Its absolutely mathematically possible.
    That's like saying flip a coin that has 150 options and it landing on the same one 10 times in a row. Not impossible... but probable and frustrating as hell if it's someone he doesnt want. The whole flip a coin ten times in a row is kinda of irrelevant since a coin has a 50/50 chance to hit one or the other.
    It's about the results. Random results does exclude duplicate results. That is exactly what random is.
  • KattohSKattohS Posts: 717 ★★

KattohS said:

Guess knowing how to multiply fractions means we have a PhD in math. It’s unlikely not impossible. you would have eventually gotten him a few times and once you get him to max you’ll get the max sig crystal

RNG baby.
    An independent event is not influenced by other previous results

Proff hof conspiracy theorist
    Yea....but as soon as he’s max sig he will disappear from this summoners crystal spins.

I have a 4* joe fix it that I got early on..... spun him 3 times for dup’d. And never once even saw him even in the spin animation since he became max sig.

RNG I guess.

McFin said:

Flip a coin. Is it possible to get heads 10 times in a row? Yes. Likely? No but still possible. So is pulling GR like you have. Its absolutely mathematically possible.
    I think ur taking his exaggeration too literal
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,650 Guardian

The frequency that this type of unlikely “random” event occurs leads people to draw the conclusion that things are not as random as they are presented. How many players have pulled the same class of AG 3-4 times in a row. Sure seems like a lot of borderline mathematical impossibilities happen in mcoc 😏

Sure, but it is a wrong conclusion. The problem is a well known fallacy in statistics. You don't actually know what the frequency of these things are. You only know how many you see. But over a million people play the game, and tens or hundreds of thousands of them have at least theoretically been in situations that could have generated those results. Seeing five or fifty people report an unusual event is only meaningful if we know from how big a pool of people that fifty come from. But this is practically an unknowable number because we don't know how many people saw but did not report the event. Fifty out of a thousand might be a lot, but fifty out of a hundred thousand might be trivial.

The odds of pulling the same class of something three times in a row is one in 36, and the odds of pulling the same class of something four times in a row is one in 216. These events are unusual taken singly, but the odds are that literally thousands of players are seeing it. Seeing dozens of people report this isn't unusual: it is probably well within the normal expectation.

Most people's intuition about statistics isn't just wrong, it is often literally worse than random guessing. Like referring to these kinds of events as "mathematically impossible" or "borderline mathematically impossible." These events aren't even what I would call rare.

KattohS said:

KattohS said:

RNG baby.
    An independent event is not influenced by other previous results

Proff hof conspiracy theorist
    Yea....but as soon as he’s max sig he will disappear from this summoners crystal spins.

I have a 4* joe fix it that I got early on..... spun him 3 times for dup’d. And never once even saw him even in the spin animation since he became max sig.

RNG I guess.

Ahhh conspiracies are based on fallacies, misinformation, false logic, and straight up wrong information or lack of info.
    The reel has nothing to do with what you get
    Your crystal is already determined as soon as you buy it
    Not my fault you have a hard time getting that
    As I said before

Proff hof conspirator
    Chill bro
  • Savio444Savio444 Posts: 1,781 ★★★★
    A month or so ago, I opened 3, 5* crystals. 2 of them were Magneto...
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,650 Guardian
    Savio444 said:

Two of my last three 6* champs were Nightcrawler. It happens.

Although, at least now I know the answer to the question what's worse than pulling 6* DPX. Awakening Nightcrawler does seem to be worse than that.
  • PlantesanPlantesan Posts: 335 ★★
    I know your pain, OP (although GR is a good champ to have the sig level on) Had that happen early on with the 5* roster, pulled Drax at least 4 times in a row before the “adjustment” while others were pulling upper tier champs.

This is the part of the discussion where I (not sure about others) have issue with the tool-bag forum folk that preach “end-game content relies on roster depth” how does one do that when the system keeps landing on the same useless champs multiple times in a row?
  • DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,542 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Savio444 said:

Two of my last three 6* champs were Nightcrawler. It happens.

Although, at least now I know the answer to the question what's worse than pulling 6* DPX. Awakening Nightcrawler does seem to be worse than that.
    Of course, there’s also the possibility that the game team incorrectly believes everything is working perfectly randomly.

Think: Hanlon’s Razor. Now that’s definitely mathematically possible.

Dr. Zola
  • shadow_lurker22shadow_lurker22 Posts: 3,243 ★★★★★
    McFin said:

What do you mean it isn't Mathematically possible unless the description states you have an absolute 0% chance to pull ghost rider then it is Mathematically possible.
  • WoogieboogieWoogieboogie Posts: 340 ★★
    McFin said:

Piss off, only have a 3*. Gave up a long time ago and r4 mephisto, since dorm hits like old Luke cage
This discussion has been closed.