**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Alliance Wars - Defense Tactics and Rewards Update Discussion Thread

Comments

• MattPartMattPart Posts: 69
    edited July 2019
    Let's hope it's not final. It gives any gold 3 player a chance to get more T5B/T2A shards from a single war season crystal than most platinum players will get from all monthly rewards mixed together. I understand some rewards are RNG based but this is super random - definitely too much random.

It's a bittersweet update to be honest - it includes some nice buffs but most of them have been awaited for a long time. It's hard to get super excited about some rewards finally becoming, well, decent after they sucked for months. At the same time big time bs like ridiculously random war season crystals, extremely outdated war victor/challenger crystals and super small amount of shards/fragments in monthly rewards for many tiers stay there. And a small amount of 6* shards for every war could at least reach tier 6....

New gold 2 rewards are better than old gold 1 rewards but it only shows how outdated these rewards were. This is what gold 2 should be getting from the scratch, so introducing this after months does not really compensate anything.

One might be happy to see any T5B in gold 2/3 or T2A in silver 1 but really - 5-10% of any crystal after A WHOLE MONTH of hard work is just a joke - you still need to play for OVER A YEAR to get an actual crystal, while you need more than one to do ANYTHING with them.

The addition of platinum 4 is great but again - did Kabam really need nearly a year to spot that big gap that was visible instantly?

I'll take it but hopefully new update happens sooner than this time.
  • Kobster84Kobster84 Posts: 2,898 ★★★★★

Munrolm02 said:

I thought that Kabam was going to take time to monitor how Wars are going during this season. Did they realize there's teams that are in Platinum 1 and 2 that are still dying over a hundred times and not completing the map just the way it is? Now they're going to make it even harder with no Global benefits that benefits the attacker whatsoever. The game just keeps getting less interesting every single day

This is a really important comment and I hope Kabam sees it. We're in the same boat. We've been platinum for a few seasons now and because of the changes this season (and our decision to not use items to push to win due to those changes) we're now in gold 1. Our rosters got better, our skills didn't suddenly get worse, matchups SHOULD be fair and balanced, yet we're dying across the board, many wars don't get the boss down, and I know it's the same issue with the other groups we're facing, as we went from getting a few kills for our defense before to in some cases double digits for the top 5-6 players listed. It's quite a huge jump and change, yet we were told this wouldn't be more difficult and that the rewards next season would make it worth it. It's not, and I don't see my group changing anything we're doing next season in response. We're focusing on AQ now and finishing in top 200 there, if this doesn't get better in war I see us working toward adding map 7 in rather than caring about using items for war and locking our top attackers for 3 days of the week.

Really sad as a long time player to see war devolve into this, it actually used to be fun and seemed pretty fair across the board. And I can't believe we're actually talking about RNG based rewards being the main draw for this mode in 2019.

I know people on here and in the beta and on youtube have been expressing their frustration and disappointment in the changes with war over the last few months...and yet here we are. Very frustrating to feel like people aren't being listened to.
    Ye I’m in high p3 and recently was against an ally and they had 150 deaths never seen even close to that before s9 buffs
  • LormifLormif Posts: 7,369 ★★★★★

Lormif said:

Lormif said:

Eric987 said:

What they really need to do is double the 5* and 6* shards and shrink the range of outcomes in the seasons crystals. With the new 5* and 6* gates in Act 6, increasing the availability of 5* and 6* shards is important. This would make AW the place to go for shards and AQ the place to go for rank up materials. If they made those changes I’d be much more excited for next AW season. I’m currently in the master bracket so my thoughts are really focused on end game players. Unless the rewards for winning a war go extremely up I feel Kabam lowballed us on the rewards which sucks since I prefer this map to the old one for sure.

AW is already the place to go for shards, and the top rank already gets a full 6*.
    One 6* for a 1st place season finish isn't really THAT much though. Now if that was the master reward in general, I'd be more on board with that
    Dude that is a metric a** load., every 3 weeks they get a 6* in addition to their other rewards. As it is master gets more than half a 6*
    100% wrong. one 6* every 6 weeks for the siNGLE top ally is a joke. Save your units and you'll get more 6* champs from popping Cavs.
    at a 1% drop rate no you will not. You are 100% wrong.
    Lormif said:

Lormif said:

Lormif said:

Eric987 said:

What they really need to do is double the 5* and 6* shards and shrink the range of outcomes in the seasons crystals. With the new 5* and 6* gates in Act 6, increasing the availability of 5* and 6* shards is important. This would make AW the place to go for shards and AQ the place to go for rank up materials. If they made those changes I’d be much more excited for next AW season. I’m currently in the master bracket so my thoughts are really focused on end game players. Unless the rewards for winning a war go extremely up I feel Kabam lowballed us on the rewards which sucks since I prefer this map to the old one for sure.

AW is already the place to go for shards, and the top rank already gets a full 6*.
    One 6* for a 1st place season finish isn't really THAT much though. Now if that was the master reward in general, I'd be more on board with that
    Dude that is a metric a** load., every 3 weeks they get a 6* in addition to their other rewards. As it is master gets more than half a 6*
    100% wrong. one 6* every 6 weeks for the siNGLE top ally is a joke. Save your units and you'll get more 6* champs from popping Cavs.
    That’s master rank 1 though like even for master it drops down to 5.5k shards

The dude was talking about master so I replied about master.

Evens still 6k shards for master 1 is still vastly more than any other content will give you.

Season end war crystals can be removed entirely and replaced with a static amount of t5b or t2a. RNG should be left for champion crystals and not rewards for a competition. It's like finishing 1st place in a race but the guy who finished 10th is getting paid more.

Working as intended
    Yup, totally makes sense. It's like Jeremy Lin getting a championship ring......oh wait that actually happened.
    except they are not. the same thing. Over the course of events the person who finishes 1st will get vastly more, it is just in the short term there is a possibility of him getting more once. why are so many people bad at stats.

Lormif said:

Lormif said:

Lormif said:

Eric987 said:

you are very misinformed if you think that one 6* for the top AW team means anything. Go look at how many guys in the top allys have sig 200 R2 6* champs already. Do you think that they're giving eachother a bunchh of high fives at the possibility of getting one more 6* every 6 weeks?
    We are talking about shards.... Do you think they are going to give each other high fives for getting 2 or 3 if that is the case? Get your arguments in order to make sense please.

Lormif said:

except they are not. the same thing. Over the course of events the person who finishes 1st will get vastly more, it is just in the short term there is a possibility of him getting more once. why are so many people bad at stats.

When I was in a gold 1 alliance a teammate pulled 73K T2AC shards from 3 war season crystals. I finished the next 2 seasons in platinum 1. The 12 war season crystals from those 2 seasons gave me significantly less than 73K T2AC shards.
    AND? Over time you will vastly out pace him. You cannot look at one event and say, well this isnt right, you have to look over the course of many events and see how the standard distribution works.

Eric987 said:

Lormif said:

Season end war crystals can be removed entirely and replaced with a static amount of t5b or t2a. RNG should be left for champion crystals and not rewards for a competition. It's like finishing 1st place in a race but the guy who finished 10th is getting paid more.

Working as intended
    Yup, totally makes sense. It's like Jeremy Lin getting a championship ring......oh wait that actually happened.
    The problem with your argument is sample size. Over the course of a full year there will be 8-9 AW seasons assuming 2 week off seasons. A master ally gets 6 AW season crystals each season while a plat 3 ally gets 5 AW seasons crystals. That’s a total of 8-9 more crystals per year which is statistically irrelevant when the range of outcomes in the crystals is so large.
    Its funny that you guys like to keep changing the argument, one time it was a gold vs plat, now it is master vs plat. Statistically the higher alliance member will come out on top. All this jealously because someone got lucky is absurd. It is like getting mad because you bought 10 cavs and someone else bought 1 cav and they got a 6* but you didnt.
    Ye the difference in rewards in the war season crystals is horrible think I saw someone say instead of 1.5k to 22.5k t5b like 6 to 12k
  • MauledMauled Posts: 3,957 Guardian
    I think that they could have gone slightly further with rank up material rewards.
    I believe that rather than those war crystals each tier should have a set amount of T2A etc.
    I’ll hold judgment on the quantity of shards until I see the regular win/loss rewards but for me and most of the people in my alliance who sit between 500k-1m rating and relatively stress free at gold2 4* shards so 4* shards aren’t really relevant beyond ISO
  • Eric987Eric987 Posts: 78
    Lormif said:

Eric987 said:

Lormif said:

Working as intended
    The problem with your argument is sample size. Over the course of a full year there will be 8-9 AW seasons assuming 2 week off seasons. A master ally gets 6 AW season crystals each season while a plat 3 ally gets 5 AW seasons crystals. That’s a total of 8-9 more crystals per year which is statistically irrelevant when the range of outcomes in the crystals is so large.
    Its funny that you guys like to keep changing the argument, one time it was a gold vs plat, now it is master vs plat. Statistically the higher alliance member will come out on top. All this jealously because someone got lucky is absurd. It is like getting mad because you bought 10 cavs and someone else bought 1 cav and they got a 6* but you didnt.
    Lormif said:

Eric987 said:

Lormif said:

Working as intended
    Also not a good argument because you are choosing to purchase a crystal with known drop rates. I think it’s awesome whenever people get lucky on those, good for them. AW season crystals are different in that they are a reward for a game mode with vastly different ranges of skill and effort.
    Eric987 said:

Lormif said:

Eric987 said:

Lormif said:

Working as intended
    Lormif said:

Eric987 said:

Lormif said:

Working as intended
    Also not a good argument because you are choosing to purchase a crystal with known drop rates. I think it’s awesome whenever people get lucky on those, good for them. AW season crystals are different in that they are a reward for a game mode with vastly different ranges of skill and effort.
    You are still buying (by playing war) a crystal with a variable drop rate. The argument is exactly the same, just the currency you are buying it with is different..
  • jψwjψw Posts: 2
    A lot of people are complaining that rewards are still worse then even just a week of aq (which was certainly true before this buff but is not true in every category now). Yes the crystals still suck and there isn’t much increase to most of the rewards but the t5b do look like a substantial increase. For a gold 1 alliance running 5x5 in aq that is far more t5b now then you can earn in a month of aq even spending most of your glory on t5b
    jψw said:

A lot of people are complaining that rewards are still worse then even just a week of aq (which was certainly true before this buff but is not true in every category now). Yes the crystals still suck and there isn’t much increase to most of the rewards but the t5b do look like a substantial increase. For a gold 1 alliance running 5x5 in aq that is far more t5b now then you can earn in a month of aq even spending most of your glory on t5b

There is a reward increase but not good enough for the increased difficulty
  • Marri_2Marri_2 Posts: 577 ★★★
    Our situation is this: without planning and playing 1bg FFA we get to Silver 2.

With meticulous planning, both def and attack, and spending for 100% on a more difficult map with 2 bg (a third is out of the question, even more work), we will get maybe gold 2. The difference simply isn't worth all the time and units that go into that. Even with 3 bg we are not likely to go beyond gold.

And that's with a fair playing field, which we know doesn't exist. We used to be in the gold 1 region and in the first 5 matches we'd get smashed by alliances with literally 3-4 (or more) 5-65 per member, while we, as any normal Gold alliance, have about 4 4-55s per average member. Those first 5 opponents all ended up in P1. Our top players have a few more and we have 2 players with 1 5-65. We all know how those opponents managed to match with alliances like us.

Then there is the issue with champ lockout. Our best 3 attackers go yo AQ and in most alliances there is a pretty huge gap between best three and next three. And then often the next 5 are a bit below that. It's not fun to feel the stress of having to choose to do well in AQ or AW simply because your roster can't really cover both. I am not talking about beginners here. I am talking about UC players with 3-4 4-55s at least.

Another important factor is the delay on the rewards. Weekly rewards is about the longest that most people will commit to playing for. Any longer than that and the grind loses momentum. Because as dynamic as AW may be compared to other game modes, at the end of the day it is still a monotonous exercise.

My advice would be to double the total rewards and pay them out in weekly instalments based on your ranking that week. You could even distribute it so that weeks 1-4 would be a total of 50%, all based on weekly ranking, while the last week pays out the remaining 50% based on season performance. That might make alliances choose for AW priority over AQ, or at least put in 2 solid weeks. In fact, I'd consider AW priority on-season for shards and new champs, while we farm rankup materials from max AQ effort on off season. It would at least make focus choices more interesting.

I know that the top alliances don't have to deal with these dilemmas because their rosters are a lot more versatile. But have some sympathy for the average Joe!
  • DTMelodicMetalDTMelodicMetal Posts: 2,785 ★★★★★
    edited July 2019
    Lormif said:

AND? Over time you will vastly out pace him. You cannot look at one event and say, well this isnt right, you have to look over the course of many events and see how the standard distribution works.

Throw in 2 more seasons of gold 1 with those 2 seasons of platinum 1 and my T2AC pulls from war crystals are stull under 73K total T2AC shards. 3 war season crystals from 1 season > 21 war season crystals from 5 seasons.

To be fair, war season crystals aren't the only RNG apsect of the game that take variable-ratio reinforcement to Vegas slot machine levels. A current alliance mate pulled 10K+ T5BC fragments in 21 Map 7 crystals from our last cycle of 7X5. We've run 7X5 every cycle since Map 7 was introduced except for the cycle of bugged Can't Stop Won't Stop. It took me at least 8 cycles of 7X5 to pull 10K+ T5BC fragments from Map 7 crystals. We get 25 Map 7 crystals per AQ cycle, so my alliance mate pulled more T5BC fragments from 21 Map 7 crystals than I did from 200+ Map 7 crystals. I've never pulled more than 4K+/<5K T5BC fragments from 1 AQ cycle of Map 7 crystals. Unlike war season crystal RNG, AQ RNG isn't that annoying because 7X5 can be explored with little to no item use and stress.
  • MauledMauled Posts: 3,957 Guardian
    The way that I see it, AW rewards are about gathering champions - you get that big chunk of 4/5/6* shards at the end of season/war. AQ rewards are about ranking up these champions that you worked so hard to obtain during a month of warring with your alliance.

AW rewards, as they stand are in a bit of a limbo between this - they do contain a decent amount of shards, but not enough to warrant the effort to achieve the higher tiers, but they also contain rank up materials that we all need, but again not enough to warrant the lack of shards.

My suggestions then of shards aren’t going to be increased:
    - gold 3 should have enough T4B and T1A to R3 a 5*
    - Gold 2 should be able to R4 a 5*
    Etc. Etc.
    Remove
    The rng element of the crystals - the only RNG should be from opening the 4-6*, rank materials should be a constant.

There should also be enough gold to rank up the champion that you have received from the shards.

Each season should represent clear progress for each player
  • Ultra8529Ultra8529 Posts: 526 ★★★
    @Lormif instead of saying that RNG will even out the randomness, why not propose a positive argument to justify the introduction in the first place? If the aim of randomness is ultimately for there to be an evening out of the rewards such that consistently placing in the higher bracket should give you more rewards in the long term than someone consistently placing in the lower bracket, why do that through the mechanism of RNG instead of just ensured higher rewards for a higher bracket?

We don't see random prizes being awarded in sporting competitions. So why here?
  • LastBoyScoutLastBoyScout Posts: 23
    If someone can explain how to defeat a r5 duped iron iw on node 22 with the new buff “armor break immune” I’ll be more than thankful ...

If someone can explain how to defeat a r5 duped iron iw on node 22 with the new buff “armor break immune” I’ll be more than thankful ...

Void could do it would be annoying tho
    Ultra8529 said:

@Lormif instead of saying that RNG will even out the randomness, why not propose a positive argument to justify the introduction in the first place? If the aim of randomness is ultimately for there to be an evening out of the rewards such that consistently placing in the higher bracket should give you more rewards in the long term than someone consistently placing in the lower bracket, why do that through the mechanism of RNG instead of just ensured higher rewards for a higher bracket?

1) A positive reason to do it is to help keep the curv from becoming completely unattainable. We will now start getting t5cc, where as the lower alliances will not. Allowing them a chance to be an outlier and get more upgrade mats allows people to catch up to us if they have the skill...

2) Random prizes are given in sporting events, even still this is not a sporting event.
    Eric987 said:

Lormif said:

Eric987 said:

Lormif said:

Eric987 said:

Lormif said:

Working as intended
    Lormif said:

Eric987 said:

Lormif said:

Working as intended
    You are still buying (by playing war) a crystal with a variable drop rate. The argument is exactly the same, just the currency you are buying it with is different..
    I’ll participate in a reasonable counterpoint but this just shows me you have no idea what you’re talking about. That’s a huge stretch to equate those.
    Best argument you have is an ad hominem? How many times have I head sports teams say that they purchased something with their blood sweat and tears? Your currency is your participation and effort. That you cannot see that is not on me.
  • LastBoyScoutLastBoyScout Posts: 23
    Kobster84 said:

Void could do it would be annoying tho
    I don’t think so
    It will take too much time and keep in mind he increase his base attack every 2seconds

You could do, but with revives and potions

A lot of ...

The point is that in this game the ability of the player is less important day by day
  • DTMelodicMetalDTMelodicMetal Posts: 2,785 ★★★★★
    edited July 2019

I don’t think so
    It will take too much time and keep in mind he increase his base attack every 2seconds

You could do, but with revives and potions

A lot of ...

The point is that in this game the ability of the player is less important day by day

True strike for armor break immune IMIW. Proxima Midnight, Killmonger (sp1 then counter IMIW sp1 after blocking 2nd plasma projectile), Corvus w/Proxima synergy using invulnerability boost. If you don't have a true strike option Omega Red w/bleed suicides, Doctor Voodoo, Sentinel (sp2 procs incinerate on block at max charges), and possibly new Captain Marvel would work.
  • Ultra8529Ultra8529 Posts: 526 ★★★
    Lormif said:

Ultra8529 said:

1) A positive reason to do it is to help keep the curv from becoming completely unattainable. We will now start getting t5cc, where as the lower alliances will not. Allowing them a chance to be an outlier and get more upgrade mats allows people to catch up to us if they have the skill...

2) Random prizes are given in sporting events, even still this is not a sporting event.
    Eric987 said:

Lormif said:

Eric987 said:

Lormif said:

Eric987 said:

Lormif said:

Working as intended
    Lormif said:

Eric987 said:

Lormif said:

Working as intended
    I’ll participate in a reasonable counterpoint but this just shows me you have no idea what you’re talking about. That’s a huge stretch to equate those.
    Best argument you have is an ad hominem? How many times have I head sports teams say that they purchased something with their blood sweat and tears? Your currency is your participation and effort. That you cannot see that is not on me.
    1. So your point is basically what I mentioned a few pages back - that RNG is intended to allow weaker players to leapfrog and catch up to higher players. Once you realise that, then it should be obvious why people at the top are unhappy about these rewards. Your recognition of the possibility of an "outlier" also completely goes against the grain of your initial argument that it will all even out eventually and a player consistently placing higher will get overall better rewards.

2. I don't see what random rewards tennis players get, or soccer players, or golf etc. You win the tournament, you get a fixed prize money. You get to the semis, you get another sum.