**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

An end to tanking! An end to tanking?

Bear3Bear3 Posts: 996 ★★★
Read the announcement about war ratings locked during off season.. I always hated alliances that tanked and hated the idea of tanking in my own alli. This seems like a good fix for the problem and something people have asked for month in month out. Do people see any potential problems with this fix? I don’t see any, but totally open minded there could be. Share your thoughts!

🐻

Comments

• Toj37Toj37 Posts: 68
    My alliance was always careful to try not to drop tiers but try to improve tiers before the next season. I think it kinda sucks. But I'm kinda over war at this point anyway
  • Bear3Bear3 Posts: 996 ★★★
    Yeah I’m certain there are gonna be people on both sides of this, especially allies that tanked heavily being against it. Just always felt super weak sauce to see bigger alliances stacking easy wins to place better by end of season. I think this sets people on a playing field to always go for the win which is the way it should be. Def curious about other perspectives though.

🐻
  • That's a double edged sword. Although it will likely do more good than bad in the grand scheme. It does kind of blow that Alliances who played straight up are now locked in T5+. On the flipside, the entire Off Season won't cost anyone war rating point loss for any wars lost. Considering Defense Tactics is supposed to roll out today for T5+, I see this as a nice plus. Not to mention the fact Alliances will no longer be able to tank their rating anymore. So all in all, it's probably going help more than it would hinder.
    I agree man. I do feel people who say “I never tanked, and I wish the off season allowed me to move up tiers”. That’s a legit negative, I agree though this will have loads more positive effects than negative and people will enjoy season play more being matched up against more apt level opponents instead of tankers on the way back up.

🐻
  • WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★
    Bear3 said:

Read the announcement about war ratings locked during off season.. I always hated alliances that tanked and hated the idea of tanking in my own alli. This seems like a good fix for the problem and something people have asked for month in month out. Do people see any potential problems with this fix? I don’t see any, but totally open minded there could be. Share your thoughts!

🐻

Of course there are problems. If you were near the top of one tier hoping to move up to the next to start the next season with a higher multiplier you no longer can. Also if you're rewards tier is secure (can't go up or down) for the last to last few wars, you still have to push to win the wars as you can't get that rating back in offseason.

I don't have a problem with the change personally as I never liked tanking when I cared about war and don't really care about war anymore at all, but there are definitely still problems that can come from it.
  • Toj37Toj37 Posts: 68
    Tanking was a stupid idea in the first place if you understand the rankings. All it did was drop you to a lower tier for easier wins. But the wins meant much less outside of individual war rewards, which weren't great anyway
  • LormifLormif Posts: 7,369 ★★★★★
    Drooped2 said:

Limits growth to seasons only.
    I mean my allaince doesnt really off season war so I dont care but I can see the issue for others

Only in the high ranks, where growth is much harder anyways.
    Tiers 1-5 which are the only tiers affected... doesn’t seem like there’s a lot of growth in tiers... you tend to be where you’ve been for several seasons. My alli peaked at tier 3 and doesn’t fall below tier 5... we aren’t suddenly prevented from reaching tier 1 because Of this.. wed never reach tier 1 either way.

🐻
  • Toj37 said:

Tanking was a stupid idea in the first place if you understand the rankings. All it did was drop you to a lower tier for easier wins. But the wins meant much less outside of individual war rewards, which weren't great anyway

In higher tiers, this was a tactic to setup getting a streak of easy wars for easy points. Dropping a tier didn't hurt them in the least. Missing a few shardd for a few wars is meh to them. Getting matched with easier Alliances, allowing them to stack points, and items for the harder wars to come for outweighed any negatives the tier drop gave. I can only guess this as our Alliance never tanked. It made no sense for us to do it at our tier (4). We wanted as high of a multiplier as we could get from the word go.
    I’d def prefer to be prevented from moving up in off season than for tanking to continue. Tanking is by far one of the lamest practices in the history of the game... lamest legit practices anyways.

🐻
    Agreed... they could def implement a slow rating loss each time a war wasn’t participated in. Love the idea.

🐻
  • CliffordcanCliffordcan Posts: 1,341 ★★★★
    You’ll just see more Ally hopping at the Plat 1-3 levels. Maybe Master level, but they will be hopping for donation drops, I’m sure they will be going to a place with a lower war rating as well.
    True, think in the end though, people will go to the alliances they are appropriate for and stay. You’re either master or you’re not. Platinum or not.. etc.

🐻
    Agreed no wars during a season should maybe cut rating in half? I’d hate to lose all my rating if i decide to take one season off 😬. Botted alliances should be closed either way though... so pathetic.

🐻
  • WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★
    Bear3 said:

True, think in the end though, people will go to the alliances they are appropriate for and stay. You’re either master or you’re not. Platinum or not.. etc.

🐻

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that's not what happens
  • Speeds80Speeds80 Posts: 2,008 ★★★★
    Shell alliances tanking for loyalty isn’t a bigger issue, there’s also no point in them tanking as they could win and get shards. Shell alliances will still be an issue but this step is going a long way to relieving peoples annoyance (sometimes only perceived) at the tanking that’s been blatant and not in the spirit of what most of us would like to see in the game, there will always be people trying to exploit the rules , this just makes it somewhat more work and those shell alliances not being able to climb much before season starts does mean those alliances need to have their shell still at a competitive tier to have a reasonable multiplier, meaning they can’t have a shell at tier 7 then climb to tier 4 in the off season ready to hit the ground running. It’s a great announcement for our game the positives outweigh the negatives
  • Elohim16Elohim16 Posts: 65
    My alliance always fights hard, no matter what. We're in it for the fight. So . . . we're gonna kind of miss the tankers. LOL
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,193 ★★★★★
    I'm absolutely fine with it. Without doing something proactive, it will continue to be manipulated regardless of the plausible reasons.
  • BigPoppaCBONEBigPoppaCBONE Posts: 2,262 ★★★★★
    Locking the war rating still makes me want to barely participate in off-season AW. "Tanking" served dual purposes for me and a lot of people. AW is boring and sucks up champs I could use in better content, so not/barely participating if it's even slightly beneficial to do so got a thumbs up from me. Also, the break from content that I found tedious and kept me from using my best champs whenever I felt like it was welcome.

Unless I'm missing something, locked rating means we could mess around and place 1 stars or leave nodes empty, and take champs in to play around with on offense since off-season is even more meaningless than before.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,193 ★★★★★

I'm absolutely fine with it. Without doing something proactive, it will continue to be manipulated regardless of the plausible reasons.

Does this even affect your aw tier? Highly doubt it but as long as you’re fine with it I guess you must let everyone know.
    It affects everyone. People aren't playing on an island. It's an interconnected system, a Leaderboard that moves based on who scores what. Manipulate one area, and it dominos down. People manipulating one area affects everyone else under them. Does it affect me? Yes. I'm not in Tier 15. Does it affect everyone else under them? Absolutely. Does it throw the whole Matchmaking system off? You betcha. It stops it from being a measurement of skill and makes it a tool for manipation.