**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Feedback for the SDCC War Machine Survival Challenge

becauseicantbecauseicant Posts: 412 ★★★
The latest stage competition at SDCC was pretty underwhelming so I wanted to give you guys some feedback so it can be better next time:

1. Make the Goal and Tie Breaker's explicitly clear to the audience.
- We know for this one the players had to survive for 3 minutes, but past that we had no idea. Was the tie breaker the players remaining health? Does damage to the opponent count for anything? Without knowing the objective it's hard to get excited while watching because we don't know what to watch for.

2. Show us the Nodes on the opponent at least once.
- The War Machine in this challenge had 5 nodes but the Kabam rep only told us about 3 of them before the competition started. Also none of the players checked the nodes (at least not on camera) meaning we had less context to understand what they were up against.

3. Don't cut away to a close-up player cam during the fight.
- During the stream there were multiple cuts in the middle of the fight to a camera showing just the player staring at the phone. Viewers missed all the action during this time and it kind of ruins the whole point of the stream. If you want to show the player close-up do it in an overlay on the side while keeping the game play up the entire time.

4. Have at least one commentator who is knowledgeable about the game.
- In the past you've had content creators and Kabam employees as one of the commentators. Having someone who understands the games mechanics and terminology greatly enhances the whole experience. The two guys did their best to get the crowd and viewers excited but they lack the knowledge to give any insight other than what they can directly observe.

Comments

• Kobster84Kobster84 Posts: 2,898 ★★★★★
    Yup in the one where he was using x23 the commentator kept saying he’s gonna use his x23
  • KillerRino19KillerRino19 Posts: 370 ★★
    Sorry to go off topic but Is there some competition i don't know about, if so can someone provide me a link to where to watch it?
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,552 Guardian

Sorry to go off topic but Is there some competition i don't know about, if so can someone provide me a link to where to watch it?

There was a War Machine survival challenge at SDCC. The Marvel booth stream is here, go to 3:20 for the MCOC competition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8BMFteJDH0
  • KillerRino19KillerRino19 Posts: 370 ★★
    DNA3000 said:

There was a War Machine survival challenge at SDCC. The Marvel booth stream is here, go to 3:20 for the MCOC competition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8BMFteJDH0
    Thanks
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,189 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Not sure I can handle that zoom in on the Players every few minutes. Lol.
    Awesome job, though. Great work with Cap.

DNA3000 said:

Not sure I can handle that zoom in on the Players every few minutes. Lol.
    The zooming part was annoying for me but the commentators were downright irritating. Like DNA300 said, they hardly knew what they were talking about and made just a bunch of unneccessary noise.
    Well, unfortunately that's their job. I agree. It would have driven me nuts. Part of the pressure I guess. They have to commentate and get the crowd involved. Takes skill to stay focused with that noise. Lol.
    The Winner (irked?) said he plays to get away from his family, so I suspect he can tune it out. Lol.
  • NeurogodNeurogod Posts: 22
    That was very painful to watch.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 20,860 ★★★★★
    And I thought Joe Buck was the worst announcer out there..
  • becauseicantbecauseicant Posts: 412 ★★★
    Yeah the X23 situation with the guy constantly saying to use the SP3 stood out as not only being frustrating for players who understand the game but also potentially ruinous to the player had he taken the hosts advice. This could be avoided if everyone (including the hosts) was clearly told what the goals are in addition to having at least one knowledgeable commentator instead of two hype men.
  • Husky54Husky54 Posts: 244 ★★
    Those "hype guys" were insufferable and cringey.

QUACK.

QUACK.

QUACK.

QUACK.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,552 Guardian

Both of these announcers need to get better or lose their job. If they were screaming into my ear while I was trying to focus on the fight, I'd throw the device at their head or make sure I bring headphones and blare some music.

EDIT: They said some pretty dumb stuff, too. Cringe worthy.

This is constructive criticism, hope someone in charge takes it.

I don't really blame the announcers, it is clear they were not well-versed in the game, but it was still their job to go out there and color commentate. I think the organizer of the event on the Marvel side should have asked Kabam to make knowledgeable people available to give them coaching prior to the event so they were better prepared. Of course, if that was made available but they didn't take advantage of it, then indeed they were dumb. But if it wasn't made available, I think you can only blame them so much.

In terms of being a distraction, I think that's a deliberate part of the challenge of performing on a live stage.
  • RasiloverRasilover Posts: 1,440 ★★★★
    Next time there should be an actual PVP system
  • Duke_SilverDuke_Silver Posts: 2,421 ★★★★
    Ohh boy...
  • Duke_SilverDuke_Silver Posts: 2,421 ★★★★
    Kabam, I really really hope you respond and take this feedback into consideration; it’s for your own good.
  • MercLieutenantMercLieutenant Posts: 27
    edited July 2019
    Next time invite seatin and make him the commentator.He has more fan base in the game and his channel keeps on growing and will surpass the main mcoc youtube channel.
  • The announcement pic included both player names and hosts. You'd most likely recognize the hosts' names. I think they got that particular part covered.
  • Injuries_IrkedInjuries_Irked Posts: 41
    Had a blast at the tournament, but yes the rules weren’t explained to the crowd at all. Before coming to the stage we were told survival challenge. Tie breaker is most health remaining, followed by damage dealt. Would have been more exciting if it was a fastest kill challenge but it is what it is. Saw the vids as well and yes, the camera man should focus on the game and not the players. Not a fan of the zoom in on my face when the focus should be on the game itself. Oh and the comment about the wife and kids, Hahahaha it came out wrong and got my #%$ chewed by the wifey 😂
  • becauseicantbecauseicant Posts: 412 ★★★
    Yeah it was a strange choice to have a survival challenge when the game is mostly about being offensive. It was no fault of the players, of course, all of these things are on Kabam's end. Thanks for the post though, kind of cool that you found this thread afterwards.

Had a blast at the tournament, but yes the rules weren’t explained to the crowd at all. Before coming to the stage we were told survival challenge. Tie breaker is most health remaining, followed by damage dealt. Would have been more exciting if it was a fastest kill challenge but it is what it is. Saw the vids as well and yes, the camera man should focus on the game and not the players. Not a fan of the zoom in on my face when the focus should be on the game itself. Oh and the comment about the wife and kids, Hahahaha it came out wrong and got my #%$ chewed by the wifey 😂

LMAO! Sorry to hear that. Excellent handling skills buddy.