**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

The Summoner Showdown Tournament Begins July 31!

Comments

• WerewrymWerewrym Posts: 2,830 ★★★★★
    chunkyb said:

Werewrym said:

@chunkyb I don't think anyone denies there are some great people involved with this, and sure I think it'll be fun to watch. But my big complaint with it is that it will only include YouTubers, or players in the very top alliances. Summoners have wanted a tournament for years and it's unfortunate that Kabam can't do more to involve the "normal" summoners who perhaps have as much or even more skill in the game, but can't qualify because they aren't content creators or players in the top alliances. I think a lot of the disappointment here has been interpreted as dislike for the content creators and top alliances when it really isn't.

I feel ya. It's a valid mindset as well. I think Kabam tends to move slowly on a lot of things bc they're cautious. Obv Idk for sure, but it's the feeling i get.

They're always talking here about watching the data and adjusting from there. Usually that pertains directly to AQ/AW or champion changes. I've always believed when they do stuff like this little tournament.. They probably watch the data and feedback in the same way.

You and I are a lot alike as far as enjoying the challenging stuff. You've been calling for some sort of tourney for a long time. I've run several of them on Line. I've also tried to push AW towards a tournament style. Maybe we can leverage this thing into more widespread events? But I'd imagine if the overwhelming data is ppl crapping on it or complaining about no rewards in their acct... It might be more difficult lmao
    I remember way back when you suggested I join your challenges on Line. I was actually going to but that was a period in time when I wasn't playing as much. I'm assuming you don't do them anymore due to the lack of the gifting badge?

Anyways, back on topic, yes I'd be a huge proponent of bringing a tournament like this to at least a much wider portion of the community, but ideally the whole community. I would love the idea of having a community wide tournament, and also streaming the tournament with content creators. I think both would be possible and you would please a whole lot more of the community. Leaving people out is never a good thing.

Ultimately I think all the dislike comes down to one thing. The epicness of MCoC tournament is so great, that being left out REALLY sucks. If it was streamed AND regular summoners were able to participate I think the reaction would have been a whole lot different. The reaction wasn't towards the content creators, it was towards being left out.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,189 ★★★★★
    Werewrym said:

chunkyb said:

Werewrym said:

@chunkyb I don't think anyone denies there are some great people involved with this, and sure I think it'll be fun to watch. But my big complaint with it is that it will only include YouTubers, or players in the very top alliances. Summoners have wanted a tournament for years and it's unfortunate that Kabam can't do more to involve the "normal" summoners who perhaps have as much or even more skill in the game, but can't qualify because they aren't content creators or players in the top alliances. I think a lot of the disappointment here has been interpreted as dislike for the content creators and top alliances when it really isn't.

I feel ya. It's a valid mindset as well. I think Kabam tends to move slowly on a lot of things bc they're cautious. Obv Idk for sure, but it's the feeling i get.

They're always talking here about watching the data and adjusting from there. Usually that pertains directly to AQ/AW or champion changes. I've always believed when they do stuff like this little tournament.. They probably watch the data and feedback in the same way.

You and I are a lot alike as far as enjoying the challenging stuff. You've been calling for some sort of tourney for a long time. I've run several of them on Line. I've also tried to push AW towards a tournament style. Maybe we can leverage this thing into more widespread events? But I'd imagine if the overwhelming data is ppl crapping on it or complaining about no rewards in their acct... It might be more difficult lmao
    I remember way back when you suggested I join your challenges on Line. I was actually going to but that was a period in time when I wasn't playing as much. I'm assuming you don't do them anymore due to the lack of the gifting badge?

Anyways, back on topic, yes I'd be a huge proponent of bringing a tournament like this to at least a much wider portion of the community, but ideally the whole community. I would love the idea of having a community wide tournament, and also streaming the tournament with content creators. I think both would be possible and you would please a whole lot more of the community. Leaving people out is never a good thing.

Ultimately I think all the dislike comes down to one thing. The epicness of MCoC tournament is so great, that being left out REALLY sucks. If it was streamed AND regular summoners were able to participate I think the reaction would have been a whole lot different. The reaction wasn't towards the content creators, it was towards being left out.
    I suppose there IS something that could be proposed. Not sure how people would feel about it. They could run it in-game after the Tourney ran. "Beat the Winner" kind of deal. In-game prize for best performance. People could run the challenges and they could award a version of the Champ announced to the Winner. Personally I don't care, I'm a fan of the Tournament. I'm just throwing out an idea for your point of people wanting to participate.

Werewrym said:

chunkyb said:

Werewrym said:

I suppose there IS something that could be proposed. Not sure how people would feel about it. They could run it in-game after the Tourney ran. "Beat the Winner" kind of deal. In-game prize for best performance. People could run the challenges and they could award a version of the Champ announced to the Winner. Personally I don't care, I'm a fan of the Tournament. I'm just throwing out an idea for your point of people wanting to participate.
    Don't get me wrong here, I think the tournament will be cool and fun to watch, but many summoners would also love to be included on this and should be given the chance to participate in game even if they can't go to wherever this is being held. It would be cool to bring the challenges that these people faced to the game afterwards just to see how others can do and at least feel somewhat involved in the tourny.

I'd personally love for the chance to just try the challenges even if I didn't get any rewards out of the deal. That said, it would be kinda cool if they had a set reward bracket and depending on how well you did compared to the winner you'd get rewarded.
  • I think there's a lot of really cool things they could do to include players. Idk if they're working on them or not tbh. I've seen a lot of people with great ideas about it here and on Line/reddit. I hope they have plans already in the works... And i hope they check out some of the various ideas people have thrown out there. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

They hold cards close to their chest tho. That can be very frustrating to us as players, but i also understand why haha.

And @Werewrym, maybe we can put our heads together to come up with some viable ideas for some fun stuff. My events have definitely stopped bc of various things. Being busy, other rooms stealing them, and gifting. But it's always fun to brainstorm and maybe we come up with something kabam likes. Who knows? I've seen a huge uptick in them having open ears over the past year.
  • Werewrym said:

@chunkyb I don't think anyone denies there are some great people involved with this, and sure I think it'll be fun to watch. But my big complaint with it is that it will only include YouTubers, or players in the very top alliances.

Im not a youtuber or in a Top Ally. Im a 'Normal' player. I totally expected to hated upon and it has bothered me for a while on what to expect but Im excited to go and hoped the community would be more supportive

Werewrym said:

@chunkyb I don't think anyone denies there are some great people involved with this, and sure I think it'll be fun to watch. But my big complaint with it is that it will only include YouTubers, or players in the very top alliances.

Im not a youtuber or in a Top Ally. Im a 'Normal' player. I totally expected to hated upon and it has bothered me for a while on what to expect but Im excited to go and hoped the community would be more supportive
    It shows you're a content creator. That's all I meant by "YouTuber."

I don't think anyone actually hates the people who get to take part in this tournament, what they hate is being left out, and understandably so. I expect the community will be more supportive as we get closer to the tournament, but I don't think anyone should be surprised at the reaction this has had because this is exactly what happens when people are left out.

I don't know how much interaction the select few would have with Kabam, but I would love to see someone advocating for a community wide tournament and not just the small group that it is now. Anyone at this tournament would instantly earn the respect of 99% of the community if they were seen advocating for an event like this but for the entire community.

chunkyb said:

I think there's a lot of really cool things they could do to include players. Idk if they're working on them or not tbh. I've seen a lot of people with great ideas about it here and on Line/reddit. I hope they have plans already in the works... And i hope they check out some of the various ideas people have thrown out there. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

They hold cards close to their chest tho. That can be very frustrating to us as players, but i also understand why haha.

And @Werewrym, maybe we can put our heads together to come up with some viable ideas for some fun stuff. My events have definitely stopped bc of various things. Being busy, other rooms stealing them, and gifting. But it's always fun to brainstorm and maybe we come up with something kabam likes. Who knows? I've seen a huge uptick in them having open ears over the past year.

It would be neat if Kabam would allow a select few players access to the gifting badge for the purpose of hosting community events and other fun stuff like you've done in the past.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,189 ★★★★★
    Werewrym said:

chunkyb said:

I think there's a lot of really cool things they could do to include players. Idk if they're working on them or not tbh. I've seen a lot of people with great ideas about it here and on Line/reddit. I hope they have plans already in the works... And i hope they check out some of the various ideas people have thrown out there. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

It would be neat if Kabam would allow a select few players access to the gifting badge for the purpose of hosting community events and other fun stuff like you've done in the past.
    While the intentions are good, I'm not sure that would go over well with others. Lol. Everyone paid for it.

Werewrym said:

chunkyb said:

While the intentions are good, I'm not sure that would go over well with others. Lol. Everyone paid for it.
    I mean if was only being used to gift stuff to other people whats the big deal. It would be easily monitored if only a few people had it. I'm not saying it's a good idea, but it's definitely doable.
  • Werewrym said:

Werewrym said:

I don't know how much interaction the select few would have with Kabam, but I would love to see someone advocating for a community wide tournament and not just the small group that it is now. Anyone at this tournament would instantly earn the respect of 99% of the community if they were seen advocating for an event like this but for the entire community.

What you think has been going on today? And last month? And the month before? Hahahah. Hell, this thread has been a great tool to slyly push that button 😉😉😉

Plenty of folks are always advocating for players at large, both involving this announcement and other more general things. For the most part, no one cares for spotlights tho.
  • DarkestDestroyerDarkestDestroyer Posts: 2,870 ★★★★★

@Kabam Miike can you confirm wether or not this is the “big announcement” we were promised, or is there something a little bit... less underwhelming in store?

Some might find this underwhelming, but others definitely do not.

This is the first big tournament that we've been a part of, with some of our community's favourite Content Creators and some of our most experienced and accomplished players taking the stage to Compete to prove that they are the best!
    Why not open it up to ALL your player base and have stages to see who gets so far? Then pay for the finalist to come out to the Comic Con?

Just because whales spend daft amounts and are at the top, doesn’t mean their skill is better than a non slender, it just means they can’t buy their way to the top like the whales
  • Where do whales come into the picture lol
  • TheTalentsTheTalents Posts: 2,254 ★★★★★
    I think this should be interesting for sure. Its like fighting for youtube supremacy. I think Lagacy is the best youtube player individually even though I feel Seatin has the best videos. We can all just enjoy even though the announcement could have been done differently but I appreciate the name recognition involved.
  • GreywardenGreywarden Posts: 843 ★★★★
    @Kabam Miike so no wheel at NYCC this year? Just everyone watching the showdown?
  • ButtehrsButtehrs Posts: 4,673 ★★★★★

@Kabam Miike so no wheel at NYCC this year? Just everyone watching the showdown?

Its not nycc. Its sdcc. They usually do the wheel at nycc though lol
  • TacoScottyTacoScotty Posts: 407 ★★
    I initially rolled my eyes at this for seems like a step backwards from old comic con contests where anyone could participate. However, I am going to give it the benefit of the doubt that is more of a beta test for potentially something with access to non content creators to gain entry into the future.

Yes, some of the content creators are very good players. However, we all know there exists many others out there who could easily hold their own against them.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,552 Guardian
    Werewrym said:

I don't think anyone actually hates the people who get to take part in this tournament, what they hate is being left out, and understandably so.

It is predictable, but I wouldn't say it is understandable. I don't understand, probably never will really understand, and hope to never fully understand this reaction. I don't ever want to be someone that sees this reaction and nods, thinking well, of course. I only understand this reaction in terms of history, not psychology. It has happened before, so I can predict it will happen again. But what causes people to be comfortable in their skin doing it, I have no idea.

I'll take you at your word that you have no animosity towards any of the participants, but you're completely wrong if you think no one does. When the poster says "I totally expected to hated upon and it has bothered me for a while on what to expect" he's not alone. In fact, I'd say this is the most common thought of anyone getting involved in anything. And that's not understandable, that's unfortunate.
  • TaZ_4178TaZ_4178 Posts: 506 ★★

This fall, a champion will be revealed! The Marvel Contest of Champions: Summoner Showdown, a nine-week tournament, will kick off on July 31 with the first livestream event. The Summoner Showdown is the longest tournament we've ever run, and it will culminate in a final showdown at New York Comic Con in October where the winner will be crowned!

Tune in to Marvel.com/mcocshowdown on July 31 for the first livestream event that will determine the first finalist! More details including the Schedule coming your way soon!

Get all of the Information here: https://www.marvel.com/articles/games/marvel-contest-of-champions-summoner-showdown-tournament-begins-july-31

I just watched rich the mans vid on this and just wonder why kabam hires these casual players to commentate on the game that clearly don't really play on any competitive level? As a seasoned player listening to them go on & on about dex and blocking was just exhausting... However for those that want to watch it go for it and enjoy it... I'm good though lol🤣
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,552 Guardian
    TaZ_4178 said:

This fall, a champion will be revealed! The Marvel Contest of Champions: Summoner Showdown, a nine-week tournament, will kick off on July 31 with the first livestream event. The Summoner Showdown is the longest tournament we've ever run, and it will culminate in a final showdown at New York Comic Con in October where the winner will be crowned!

Tune in to Marvel.com/mcocshowdown on July 31 for the first livestream event that will determine the first finalist! More details including the Schedule coming your way soon!

Get all of the Information here: https://www.marvel.com/articles/games/marvel-contest-of-champions-summoner-showdown-tournament-begins-july-31

I just watched rich the mans vid on this and just wonder why kabam hires these casual players to commentate on the game that clearly don't really play on any competitive level? As a seasoned player listening to them go on & on about dex and blocking was just exhausting... However for those that want to watch it go for it and enjoy it... I'm good though lol🤣
    The impression I got, and I could be wrong here, was that the commentators were from Marvel not Kabam, as this was a Marvel event featuring MCOC in the Marvel booth not a Kabam event.
  • TaZ_4178TaZ_4178 Posts: 506 ★★
    DNA3000 said:

TaZ_4178 said:

The impression I got, and I could be wrong here, was that the commentators were from Marvel not Kabam, as this was a Marvel event featuring MCOC in the Marvel booth not a Kabam event.
    Good point... either way it was too annoying for me lol
  • DNA3000 said:

TaZ_4178 said:

This is my understanding. Marvel people hosting it at SDCC.

The picture for the Summoner Showdown also shows the hosts each week. All knowledgeable players that are comfy doing things.
  • Mlee1829Mlee1829 Posts: 75
    This is the big announcement???
  • GreywardenGreywarden Posts: 843 ★★★★
    Buttehrs said:

Its not nycc. Its sdcc. They usually do the wheel at nycc though lol
    9 week tournament so not sure how that can all be done at sdcc. I thought I read something about the finale being in Nycc. Unless I misread it seems like there won’t be the regular activity but I’m honestly just looking for clarification on that.

• ChewybuccaChewybucca Posts: 95
    Americans v Russians then we have a global showdown of the superpowers with superhero’s.
  • phillgreenphillgreen Posts: 3,645 ★★★★★
    I don't watch any MCOC content from youtube, actually I might've watched the Seatin vid when he was ranting about being punished (or not) for account sharing but that's it.

I might watch this though depending on time difference and I wouldn't know who any of the participants are unless they are on the forum.
This discussion has been closed.