**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

5% in the real world is rare to never

just fought a small defender in aw with 5% evade global node. unduped wasp evaded every light and medium i threw at her. 5% in kabam numbers is 80% unless it's a crystal opening.

Comments

• WerewrymWerewrym Posts: 2,830 ★★★★★
    Catherine said:

just fought a small defender in aw with 5% evade global node. unduped wasp evaded every light and medium i threw at her. 5% in kabam numbers is 80% unless it's a crystal opening.

It could have been her base ability or duped ability which give her additional % chance of evading attacks. It's really hard to distinguish on champs like Wasp which evades come from champion abilities and which come from the global node.
  • StewmanStewman Posts: 735 ★★★
    I don't like the global nodes/defense tactics in war at all.
    Some you don't really notice, others can make fights very difficult.
  • LormifLormif Posts: 7,369 ★★★★★
    Catherine said:

5% makes the probability to happen once every 20 hits, on average.
  • PrathapPrathap Posts: 581 ★★★
    Lormif said:

Catherine said:

5% is per hit right.... So it's pretty much you may have it for every attack or you may never encounter it... That's how the probability works right :wink:
    Prathap said:

Lormif said:

Catherine said:

5% is per hit right.... So it's pretty much you may have it for every attack or you may never encounter it... That's how the probability works right :wink:
    correct, I am not sure if you are trying to counter me somehow or agree with me. Over a string of long enough sample size it will be about once every 20 hits though.
  • PrathapPrathap Posts: 581 ★★★
    Lormif said:

Prathap said:

Lormif said:

Catherine said:

correct, I am not sure if you are trying to counter me somehow or agree with me. Over a string of long enough sample size it will be about once every 20 hits though.
    Not countering just stating as example :)
  • Kobster84Kobster84 Posts: 2,898 ★★★★★
    I honestly do think wasp is bugged as I don’t think I’ve ever not been evaded on the first hit from the 33% chance
  • RaganatorRaganator Posts: 2,498 ★★★★★
    BW....3% chance. 3%.
    Raganator said:

BW....3% chance. 3%.

what is 3%? not wasp
  • DTMelodicMetalDTMelodicMetal Posts: 2,785 ★★★★★

Makes you feel good about the company you game with when they blatantly lie to your face to try to swipe money from your pockets

There is no lie here. 5% does not mean it will only happen on 1 in 20 hits. Additionally, remember that Wasp has her own Evade ability built in to her kit in addition to the one she gains from the Defense Tactic.
    Wasp is one of the best defenders in the new small global war node. At max sig you have enough time to land a single 5-hit combo before her timer resets. Adding a 5% chance to evade every attack makes true strike or Quake or another evade counter like Emma a must for Wasp fights that have the global small node.
  • beaupoembeaupoem Posts: 443
    what node was she on? if it was on "the best defense" that could've increased her evade rate as well
  • EvilEmpireEvilEmpire Posts: 639 ★★★
    A lot of guys are using the “small” defence tactic which makes wasp even more annoying so probably that 🤷‍♂️
  • hephaestushephaestus Posts: 145
    edited July 2019

Makes you feel good about the company you game with when they blatantly lie to your face to try to swipe money from your pockets

There is no lie here. 5% does not mean it will only happen on 1 in 20 hits. Additionally, remember that Wasp has her own Evade ability built in to her kit in addition to the one she gains from the Defense Tactic.

You're lying. We've all seen BW bust out back-to-back 3% evades, and then in the next combo, and again in the next combo.
    There is no benefit for me to lie here. In fact, it's a huge detriment. Even with a 3% chance, it doesn't mean that Black Widow wouldn't be able to evade every single attack you throw, though that would be highly unlikely.
    This right here. She has a 3% chance of evading any incoming hit. And while that doesn't sound like much, it can be a lot more than the idea of her only evading 3% of all your hits on average.
    That's not true.

(1 hit * .03 chance to evade) * 100 hits = 3 hits evaded
    100 hits * .03 chance to evade = 3 hits evaded

If minuscule odds in real life worked like they do in MCOC, buying lottery tickets would be a sound business strategy.
  • Bear3Bear3 Posts: 996 ★★★
    No, that’s not true ☝🏼 😂.

🐻
  • hephaestushephaestus Posts: 145
    edited July 2019

You're lying. We've all seen BW bust out back-to-back 3% evades, and then in the next combo, and again in the next combo.
    There is no benefit for me to lie here. In fact, it's a huge detriment. Even with a 3% chance, it doesn't mean that Black Widow wouldn't be able to evade every single attack you throw, though that would be highly unlikely.
    This right here. She has a 3% chance of evading any incoming hit. And while that doesn't sound like much, it can be a lot more than the idea of her only evading 3% of all your hits on average.
    That's not true.

If minuscule odds in real life worked like they do in MCOC, buying lottery tickets would be a sound business strategy.
    You didn't understand what I said and used two ways of describing the wrong train of thought leading to the conclusion of op and several others.

Bravo?

Her 3% chance to evade any hit doesn't care about some on average expected result.
    Some people on here, though, seem to treat it exactly like that and are shocked about the extremely improbable event of her evading more often than the expected average value in a ridiculously small sample size.
    Explain mathematically how the sum of individual 3%'s of any sample size can be greater than 3% of that same sample size please. Because that exactly what you are saying. I'm not misunderstanding you. Perhaps you are not describing your thoughts accurately?
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,558 Guardian

That's not true.

You didn't understand what I said and used two ways of describing the wrong train of thought leading to the conclusion of op and several others.

Bravo?

Her 3% chance to evade any hit doesn't care about some on average expected result.
    Some people on here, though, seem to treat it exactly like that and are shocked about the extremely improbable event of her evading more often than the expected average value in a ridiculously small sample size.
    Explain mathematically how the sum of individual 3%'s of any sample size can be greater than 3% of that same sample size please. Because that exactly what you are saying. I'm not misunderstanding you. Perhaps you are not describing your thoughts accurately?
    You're incorrectly adding probabilities, but that's wrong. If this actually worked, then the 50% chance for a coin to come up heads times two would mean there would be a 100% chance for a coin to come up heads at least once out of two flips. But that's obviously false.

The correct way to combine probabilities is to use what is known as the fundamental counting principle. It works like this. There's a 50% chance for a coin to come up heads and a 50% chance to come up tails. In one flip there are two possibilities: heads or tails. After that flip, regardless of whether it comes up heads or tails there is still two possibilities for the second flip: heads or tails. That means if the coin comes up heads on the first flip the two possibilities for two flips are HH and HT. If the coin comes up tails on the first flip the two possibilities for two flips are TH and TT. Therefore, there are four possibilities in total: HH, HT, TH, TT. There is a one out of four chance of getting no heads at all, and a one out of four chance of getting two heads. There's two out of four chance of getting one head and one tail, because there's two distinct ways for that to happen out of all four possibilities.

All of statistical math is based on this principle, and arithmetical shortcuts to sum the possibilities.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,558 Guardian
    Just to expand a bit, if there's a 3% chance for something to happen and a 97% chance for something to not happen, then the fundamental counting principle would work something like this. In the first swing, there are one hundred possibilities: EEEHHHHHHHH....H. Three evades and ninety seven hits. For each of those possibilities you'd expand one swing more: each "E" could be followed by any of the "EEEHHHHH...HH" and so on. No one would actually do that and count them up, but it may now seem more obvious that in the first swing 97% of the swings are "H". After two swings 97% of the second swings are also H, which means 3% of all the original "H"'s become "HE" and there's only 97% of 97% that is "HH". After three swings, the number of sequences that is "HHH" is 97% of 97% of 97% - the number of "survivors" keeps getting cut by 3%. This is where the M^N math in statistics comes from.
  • iRetr0iRetr0 Posts: 1,252 ★★★★
    People seem to get the wrong idea of the probabilities in MCOC. The crystal drop rates and/or evade chances are NOT cumulative, each is, in a way, its own entity, therefore seperate.