**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Sinister labs WAY overpowered

This event is way overpowered in relation to the payoff. We really need to collect all of these buffs and items for a pitiful handful of shards???KABAM’D once again. Greediest game developers I’ve ever seen.

Anyone else agree?

Comments

• ImnewbyImnewby Posts: 34
    I have to agree. I was really looking forward to this event. Fun little side quests with a little reward, but it has turned out to be yelling and slamming my fists against walls out of pure frustration. Some of the combinations are just crazy and they definitely cycle together.

Attached one instance. And this wasn’t even Epic Difficulty.

So with that I bid my a-due to Sinister labs.
  • phillgreenphillgreen Posts: 3,645 ★★★★★
    Tried epic and got blown away, stopped raging in 3 seconds and ignored that difficulty ever since.

Some people just expect to steamroll anything that offers shards.
  • SkkcSkkc Posts: 110
    micro reflect everywhere
  • Silver_SagaSilver_Saga Posts: 361 ★★★
    Yep, adieu is the word ;)
    And also yep, not gonna rage against this BS anymore, and I'll also ignore it for the rest of the month. I'll just take this opportunity to get rid of the randomizers that were in my inventory since last year, at least there's that positive !
  • Justin2524Justin2524 Posts: 1,626 ★★★★
    I'd be interested to see the participation number, especially for the EPIC difficulty, compared to last month.

I'd imagine it to be down significantly from last month.

And when people are spending less time on the game, that can't be good for the game.
  • Saru2244Saru2244 Posts: 180

I'd be interested to see the participation number, especially for the EPIC difficulty, compared to last month.

I'd imagine it to be down significantly from last month.

And when people are spending less time on the game, that can't be good for the game.

I agree to you 100%. I never understand, why Kabam ist not able to balance the different Events in an acceptable way. I will finished Epic (100%) in the next few days. But I have no real Chance to do the Labs. This depends on one Hand side on my Champs. I have no good and usefull Mutants. On the other Side on that really useless Booster, you can specially earn. So there are almost 3 Weeks left, until the next Event will Rise up. 3 Weeks with only doing Daily-Event kills every Motivation and ist sad and boring.

The Event with the Human Torch was funny and really good. Something like that should have been done with Warlock or Sunspot.
  • FingfangfoomfanesFingfangfoomfanes Posts: 1,102 ★★★
    Laboratory quests are the most infamous side quest ever created by this game. Any movie tie-in quests, expect it to be easy-boring to meh to great or awesome. Outside of that, its a clown fiesta kind of experience.
  • DshuDshu Posts: 1,503 ★★★★
    I could agree with you guys if this was the difficulty for the event quest itself but has many of you have already stated it's a side quest. You have also said the rewards are underwhelming. Just try it and if you fail walk away. If you dont want to bother with it because of the rewards ignore it. It's not even under the EQ tab so it's not like the side quest is taunting you. So many people think just because they have become uncollected they should be able to walk through all the content. There are a lot of skill levels above uncollected. Also people think if they have paid their way through to getting uncollected they are ready for all content. Someone who is recently uncollected isn't going to walk through epic level as easily as someone who has beat 6.2. It's no different than the guy in the 2 mil alliance who claims he is a boss killer (probably map 3) joining a 15 mil alliance and getting destroyed on map 7. Ignore it or use it to practice against the nodes for future content your choice but it's only a cash grab if YOU choose to spend your way through it.
  • Timone147Timone147 Posts: 1,276 ★★★★
    Labs always have the same problem. The content is unbalanced so can be painful and feel under rewarded based off rng. Also they always take too much time to complete. Need to dedicate that amount of time daily is tough when there are already so many other hints you have to do daily.
  • Bear3Bear3 Posts: 996 ★★★
    Epic labs aren’t difficult actually, I forgot we even had boosts to use and been taking em down no problem. I think the issue for OP is you’re playing above your skill level... heroic might be more what you want to take on. Not everyone is meant to do master and epic.👍🏼

🐻
  • m3chan1cm3chan1c Posts: 25
    It is way too time consuming and I noticed it also that it's not random at all. Certain nodes comes in pair, like on smthe screen above with glancing and particle protector. It's pretty nasty combination.
    So far I managed to complete epic only once. I don't have any good mutant 5 or 6 champs so what I am doing is I enter, check champs and nodes and if they are doable I play, if no I quit and try again.

I never liked the lab premise since first modok labs.
  • kfd2010kfd2010 Posts: 423 ★★
    I had a bad run yesterday with luck. Rolled one four times and kept getting slashed tires, which I obviously wanted to avoid. And quit and came back more than usual.

That being said, it's not the difficulty that's my biggest problem. Like said above, it's the amount of work for the amount of rewards. On epic, to complete, it's 10 fights - and not easy fights. You want to max out the amt of 5* shards you get, you have to do master to - that's 20 fights total then. That's a lot for a pretty poor reward payout.

And since it's an event quest, you can't hit that whenever. You need to make sure you're done with whatever quest you're in first.

Then there's all the dice in overflow that's going to go to waste. (I stopped claiming those rewards, but still wasted a ton of dice)

The difficulty wouldn't be a problem if it was well thought out otherwise. But it's really not
  • SeraphionSeraphion Posts: 1,496 ★★★★
    beezyboy said:

Over powered..not really. I do however find it funny that certain “random” buffs cycle in pairs..like dash vulnerability with rage...slumber with masochisum and so on. RNG 😂

Wait when they slumber + masochism = starts fight with +1000% damage?
  • GreywardenGreywarden Posts: 843 ★★★★
    It really depends on your roster but if you can limit the combos you need to reroll on (provided you have a deep enough roster) it goes OK for the most part.

I would suggest always bringing a bleed immune, poison immune, power controller, a void if you have him and just need to dance around something but still do damage and the 5th can be whatever you want.

Something I've been doing is bringing a ramp up champ as my 5th (Cap Marvel, Aegon, MS, etc) in the scenario the first 1-2 matchups are favorable and then that champ just wrecks the rest.

In the above scenario you only have to really reroll on micro reflect or maybe slashed tires/thorns. Sure there is probably some other crazy combos I'm not thinking of but if you can limit what you need to reroll on you have a really good shot at completing.
  • RagamugginGunnerRagamugginGunner Posts: 2,210 ★★★★★
    The rewards 100% don't reflect the time and difficulty of the event.
  • Jedi_Knight1Jedi_Knight1 Posts: 62
    beezyboy said:

Over powered..not really. I do however find it funny that certain “random” buffs cycle in pairs..like dash vulnerability with rage...slumber with masochisum and so on. RNG 😂

I noticed this too, ‘random’ 😂
  • ezgoingezgoing Posts: 269 ★★
    I thought the lab this time round was more manageable than the previous Modok’s lab. I totally gave up on Epic back then, but have been 100%-ing Epic this time round.

3 node buffs instead of 6 means easier to reroll. Lot more buffs combi that work in your favor - my favourite was fighting a sym Supreme with 200% power gain for both champs, and both dash and bleed vulnerability. My 4* blade reached SP2 in 10 hits and KOed him. Then there’s heal reversal with 1% perma regen. Theres also the option to exit and re-enter if you see a korg or something, or go the other path if that’s your first attempt. I stocked up on randomizers everyday (u get 16 max per day), so I can reroll. But I generally have not used more than 8 rerolls (or any revives) per Epic path.

My roster after trying out a few days which worked well for me: 5* Ghulk, CapIW, starky and 4* blade and iceman.
  • gforcefangforcefan Posts: 381 ★★★
    I understand that it is random, but that is the frustration. You can roll the dice 8 times and still get unwinnable combinations. The next day you get 3 straight easy fights.

Kabam needs to assign "power" ratings to buffs/debuffs. So that when you re-roll, the outcome must be within a certain range, i.e. you couldn't get the worst 3, nor the easiest 3 nodes. That would lend some consistency to it, while still making it random.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,554 Guardian

The rewards 100% don't reflect the time and difficulty of the event.

The more I think about it, and the more I play the labs, the more I think that's on purpose.

Suppose you wanted to provide bonus rewards for players that were more skilled than average. You could make a map for the "standard" difficulty which has rewards, and then a higher difficulty map. Let's say the more difficult map is twice as difficult. Should it have twice the rewards?

Actually no. If it did, then it doesn't actually reward higher skill, it encourages people to spend to complete the content. For content to be worth doing, the amount of rewards relative to the difficulty should be high enough. That's subjective, but we can say for every player there's a ratio reward/difficulty which has to be higher than some threshold, or players will likely not do it. The higher the rewards, the higher the ratio and the more worth it the content is. But also, the more skilled the player the lower the perceived difficulty, and the more worth it the content is for the same rewards.

What do you do if the reward/difficulty ratio is high enough that it meets the threshold for doing it, but the perceived difficulty is too high? For a lot of players, it is spend to complete. It is worth it, but it is too difficult, so there is a strong incentive to spend. Some players even say they are "forced" to spend because the content is too rewarding to pass up.

What if we keep rewards constant and just make the map more difficult? Then the ratio of rewards/difficulty drops. But the more skilled the player is, the higher that ratio seems, and the more likely it is to still be worth it.

So if we increase both rewards and difficulty, we force players to spend to complete content perceived to be too good to pass up. But if we increase difficulty and leave rewards constant then as difficulty gets higher some players decide it is not worth it and drop out. The higher the difficulty gets, the higher the players' skill has to be to keep going before they drop out. So this does a better job of rewarding skill (I'm leaving out the complication of progressing roster strength, which gets overlayed on top of this for simplicity).

This could also explain why it is random. Suppose that Epic had constant difficulty and no randomizers. Let's say the difficulty is 90 out of 100. Any player who could do level 90 content or higher would get all the rewards, while a player who couldn't would get none of the rewards: it is all or nothing. Instead, the random nature of the maps combined with the fact that there are so many shots at pieces of the total rewards (one per day) means players experience a range of difficulty from, say, 70 to 110. Now, players that can do level 90 maps will sometimes see difficulty too high, where without randomness they would have always succeeded. But now the players who can do level 80 difficulty *sometimes* make it and *sometimes* fail. They get some of the rewards, but not all. It isn't all or nothing anymore.

TL;DR:

The fact that the difficulty is higher than you would expect for the rewards means players with higher skill will find the rewards more attractive than those with less skill or would have to normally spend through the map - the rewards are the same for both, but the "cost" for getting them is different. And the fact the maps are random in difficulty means players in a wide range of skill will be able to get at least partial rewards because the difficulty they see will be, because of random chance, different every day, making the rewards not all or nothing.

Those are two things I think the game should have more of in general, actually.
  • JRock808JRock808 Posts: 1,149 ★★★★
    8 rolls in a row wit micro reflect and particle protector.

Then the next nodes all have vulnerabilities or life transfer.

Aug. 27th can't come fast enough.