**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Changing my mindset on champs..

Woody15Woody15 Posts: 544 ★★★
edited August 2019 in General Discussion

So I used to think my 5 star roster was meh and I wasn't getting very good champs (some exceptions obvioisly), but then I thought about it and they all have their uses. Obviously Collosus is getting a buff. But Iron Fist hits pretty hard and can armor break. Kamala is poison immune and can hit bard with some furies. Juggs can stagger buffs and can chain heavies pretty decent. And Civil Warrior has some nice overall utility.

I'm obviously not an endgame player with lots of 5 stars, but I'm starting to learn that every champ has some use. Just wanted to share my thoughts and was wondering if/when yall ever had this change of mind in regards to "lesser" champs

Comments

• Tiger360Tiger360 Posts: 1,696 ★★★★
    Woody15 said:

So I used to think my 5 star roster was meh and I wasn't getting very good champs (some exceptions obvioisly), but then I thought about it and they all have their uses. Obviously Collosus is getting a buff. But Iron Fist hits pretty hard and can armor break. Kamala is poison immune and can hit bard with some furies. Juggs can stagger buffs and can chain heavies pretty decent. And Civil Warrior has some nice overall utility.

I'm obviously not an endgame player with lots of 5 stars, but I'm starting to learn that every champ has some use. Just wanted to share my thoughts and was wondering if/when yall ever had this change of mind in regards to "lesser" champs

Quake is amazing, CR is pretty good and TaskMaster is underrated imo
  • Woody15Woody15 Posts: 544 ★★★
    Like I said, I've had some pretty good pulls. Crossbones was my first 5 star and I'm definitely gonna take him up to rank 4 once I get the rank up materials.

Quake is really good, and I'm just starting to get the hang of her playstyle. But untill I get WAY more comfortable using her I don't see me taking her past rank 3 where she's at.

And I do like Taskmaster. Super interesting way to play. Plus the synergy with Crossbones is pretty nice
  • Fred_JoeityFred_Joeity Posts: 1,168 ★★★
    I used to hate playing Ghost, but after getting a Wasp for synergies, she’s a lot more consistent, and I’m a much bigger fan.

I used to hate playing Ghost, but after getting a Wasp for synergies, she’s a lot more consistent, and I’m a much bigger fan.

Totally agree. The Wasp synergy makes Ghost WAY easier to play with. I use the Quantum Trinity for AQ and AW
  • gforcefangforcefan Posts: 381 ★★★
    OP, you are 100% right. Eventually you will get more and better champs. But it helps to improve your play better when you don't have all god-tier.
    I use to love CW and never understand why people hated on him. I used him. Eventually I realized it was because he is a poor man's vision. But if I made better progress by using him where he was useful rather than worrying about not having vision.
    gforcefan said:

OP, you are 100% right. Eventually you will get more and better champs. But it helps to improve your play better when you don't have all god-tier.
    I use to love CW and never understand why people hated on him. I used him. Eventually I realized it was because he is a poor man's vision. But if I made better progress by using him where he was useful rather than worrying about not having vision.

That's funny because my only maxed 4 star is Vision (Age of Ultron). But I totally get your point. Gotta make due with what you got. And that's how my mindset is now
  • WardenZeroWardenZero Posts: 722 ★★★
    I’d say your top five are actually pretty good. Your last five are pretty bad though. Civil Warrior makes a decent Sinister counter tho. He was my first 5*.

I’d say your top five are actually pretty good. Your last five are pretty bad though. Civil Warrior makes a decent Sinister counter tho. He was my first 5*.

Yeah, Nightcrawler is my newest 5 star. First one at any rarity. I haven't played around with him much, but I know he can be a pain in the backside on defense
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,346 ★★★★★
    edited August 2019
    gforcefan said:

Personally, I still think Civil is okay. He's got good defenses, which can be utilised to avoid effects like degeneration and Power drain. His own Power Drain is solid; and it's
    actually better than Vision's on an SP3. Also: try pulling a 6* Vision! Or playing Vision on a Power Shield node.

And as was said, he's a great counter for Sinister and Havok; as well as other regenerating champs like Sabretooth, Green Goblin, and so on. With practice, useful against Masochism.

Also OP, Crossbones and Nightcrawler do a lot more damage than they get credit for. Love the attitude - appreciate the champs you have instead of mourning the ones you don't. Well done!
    Woody15 said:

Yeah, Nightcrawler is my newest 5 star. First one at any rarity. I haven't played around with him much, but I know he can be a pain in the backside on defense
    Forget defense, I’ve got him on my alt, and he’s super fun for offense! Those deep wounds can be killer and his swashbuckling mode allows him some deadly crits.

gforcefan said:

Personally, I still think Civil is okay. He's got good defenses, which can be utilised to avoid effects like degeneration and Power drain. His own Power Drain is solid; and it's
    actually better than Vision's on an SP3. Also: try pulling a 6* Vision! Or playing Vision on a Power Shield node.

And as was said, he's a great counter for Sinister and Havok; as well as other regenerating champs like Sabretooth, Green Goblin, and so on. With practice, useful against Masochism.

Also OP, Crossbones and Nightcrawler do a lot more damage than they get credit for. Love the attitude - appreciate the champs you have instead of mourning the ones you don't. Well done!
    Totally agree with Crossbones. Dude hits like a truck once those furies start rolling in. I'll have to try Nightcrawler out in some quests or duels. Always liked his animations too. Super cool looking.

And @WardenZero I don't have deep wounds yet. Not sure if I'll ever have enough units for those cores cause I don't spend much money on the game. Plus I usually use my arena units for refills and the occasional feature crystal. Spent 600 on 2 mutant grandmaster crystals because I'm not uncollected yet. Got a 4 star Emma (duped!) And a 4 star Magneto (Marvel Now)
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    Woody15 said:

I always had that mindset. Even when I was knew to this game, I wasn't new to this kind of game. The thing about this mindset is that it doesn't matter if it is "right" or "wrong" what matters is that if you believe it, you will enjoy the game more than people who don't, no matter what your roster looks like. That's basically winning the game.
  • ESFESF Posts: 1,944 ★★★★★
    I am glad that you feel this way, because as you noted, all but a handful of characters can be mixed and matched in various aspects of gameplay.

For example, I don't even bother when people post negative things about Nightcrawler. If people don't know how effective that character is on offense when he can land Deep Wounds, I honestly don't know what to tell them
  • AshKetchumAshKetchum Posts: 286 ★★
    That's a great view to have. Recently alot of people have to have 'god tier" or they think they are useless.
    Woody15 said:

gforcefan said:

Totally agree with Crossbones. Dude hits like a truck once those furies start rolling in. I'll have to try Nightcrawler out in some quests or duels. Always liked his animations too. Super cool looking.

And @WardenZero I don't have deep wounds yet. Not sure if I'll ever have enough units for those cores cause I don't spend much money on the game. Plus I usually use my arena units for refills and the occasional feature crystal. Spent 600 on 2 mutant grandmaster crystals because I'm not uncollected yet. Got a 4 star Emma (duped!) And a 4 star Magneto (Marvel Now)
    @Woody15 Deep wounds isn’t a mastery (well it might also be one but I’m not sure) it’s one of Nightcrawler's abilities.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian

Woody15 said:

gforcefan said:

@Woody15 Deep wounds isn’t a mastery (well it might also be one but I’m not sure) it’s one of Nightcrawler's abilities.
    Deep Wounds is a mastery: it extends the duration of any bleed debuffs you land. Deep Wound is a kind of instant bleed damage Nightcrawler can land on critical hits. My recollection is Deep Wound was given to Nightcrawler when his original bleed damage was made exempt from the Deep Wounds mastery, because Nightcrawler was the first champion created with a super strong super short bleed.

Deep Wounds adds a flat amount of time to bleeds (from 0.5 seconds to 2.5 seconds depending on your rank). If you think about it, the shorter a bleed lasts the stronger Deep Wounds (the mastery) is. If you land a bleed that lasts four seconds and DW adds two seconds, it just made that bleed do 50% more damage. But if you land a bleed that lasts two seconds, DW makes that bleed do 100% more damage. When Deep Wounds interacted with Nightcrawler's split second bleed, that bleed became several *times* longer, and it could have the bleed deal like ten times more damage. So that had to be changed: NC's bleed was exempted from Deep Wounds, but he gained the ability to land a Deep Wound bonus damage in exchange.