**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

6-Stars Discussion Thread

Comments

• I believe the Basic & Featured 4* arenas will reach a leveling off (if remaining in their current form) to ranges. Kind of already seeing that--"god" tier champs will go higher; valued, utility champs mid range ; long released/arena fodder champs low range. Let the ones pushing a 4* Stark Spidey featured to 17 mil graduate to a supposed 5* arena and elevate those scores and bring some reasonableness back to the 4* arenas.

This is more what I meant. Why does a guy with 40+ rank 3 4 stars as is want to grind for "god tier" washed up before they knew it champs? 4 stars can still get through a great deal of content but why rank them past rank 3 if there's already a better version of them coming as is and even a better version of the better version coming down the line? Why not give us a direct path to the better(middle guy) now?As far as me being a guy with multiple rank 3's because they're more plentiful than the resources needed to bring them up, this announcement just made it pointless for me to grind for ones I may want in the future. They'll be DOA for me because I'll soon have to share resources for them across 3 tiers and undoubtedly the higher the better because that's the point right?
  • Viper1987Viper1987 Posts: 728 ★★★
    Vavasour wrote: »
    I've spent a lot of money on this game. Having bought nearly every in-game offer... i'm officially stoping. It's clearly pointless at this point to spend.

Think about how much I dropped to finish LOL, and why? 20 Odins on content that by 2019 will be completed by most of the population at a fraction of the skill level and cost.

I take back my previous protest. No Legends Title for LOL. Including me.

What a giant turd to deliver to the community.

It was your decision to complete LoL as soon as it was released. It was your decision to shell out that much money in order to complete it. I do not mean to dismiss your feelings, but when Kabam announced LoL they said it was meant to be a long-term goal, not something to be completed right away. This announcement just supports that original announcement. With the introduction of 6* and more materials to rank 5*, it is designed to help bring people closer to finishing LoL. Once again, I sympathize with you, but you cannot curse Kabam for your decisions. Afterall, they warned you it was a long-term goal, not something meant to be completed right away.

P.S. those rewards you got are still valuable nonetheless. It's still more T2A than others have at this point and that's what you pay for in a F2P game, advancement. You pay to get stuff sooner. If you are patient enough, you can earn what the spenders buy.
  • Romo790Romo790 Posts: 139
    edited August 2017
    To me it feels like a sudden jump to 6* Champs. How many of us are staring at our 5* rosters today thinking is this for real? 6* Champs have been announced before we can even max out our 5* Champs?
    Sure this is a heads up announcement(and we all appreciate those) but that doesn't make me want to scratch my head any less. This is happening way too soon. You made finally being able to max out a 5* champ(sometime in the near future?) less special because the next gen is already on its way.
  • DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,479 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    I'm just concerned as far as the arena is concerned. What incentives are there for players to continue to grind for champions that are being power crept out or just simply stuck at a level where the resources don't justify bringing them up past a certain level? Units and Battle Chips for AQ?

Not to be flippant, but anyone that doesn't want them can stop grinding for them. There are literally hundreds of thousands of other players that will be more than happy to get them if others don't want them. There's no shortage of players putting up big numbers for new featured and basic champions.

There's no shortage today. However, it is fantasy to think that players will throw themselves into 4* basic or featured arenas the same way with what's coming down the pipe unless prizes are specifically tied to the availability of rankup materials for 5*/6* champs. I appreciate your efforts to explain Challenger Rating and other basic concepts to an audience that is largely allergic to math and statistics, but I think you are in the minority on this one in a pretty large way.

Dr. Zola
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,552 Guardian
    Anyone who competed that content spent that much (or in the ballpark), unless they cheated.

That seems to be the general estimate of unit equivalents spent, but not everyone necessarily spent actual cash. Arena grinders could have amassed a lot of those units through play, and some players could have stocked up a lot of potions to defer costs.

It comes down to potions and revives, but potions can be stockpiled and units for revives can be farmed. I suspect everyone that has done full complete so far spent at least some money, but I don't know if it is safe to assume all of them spent thousands of dollars of actual cash.

It is true though that the huge amount of effort being expended to complete LoL today will be substantially lowered in the future, just as happened to RoL. That is a truism in this game and almost all progressional games. What you spend huge amounts of time and money to do today others will spend a lot less time and maybe even no money to do in the future. That is an inevitable part of these kinds of games. I have yet to see a progressional game where that didn't happen.

It is something every player should be aware of and weigh the trade off for when deciding how to approach the game. It is very expensive to be first and very cheap to be last. Players have to figure out where in the middle they want to be. I say this with no snark: if you aren't comfortable with spending money on things other people will one day get for free, don't spend money on progressional games. You will get burned. Only spend money if you believe you are spending money to get things early, and are okay with other people getting the same thing much later for much less.
  • DD2DD2 Posts: 309 ★★★
    edited August 2017
    I'm a whale and this sucks. It's one thing for me to piss away money on a game. It's entirely another thing for the devs to set and reset the bar willy-nilly, totally devaluing all in-game currency by an order of magnitude.

That's all this game is now. Repetition repetition repetition. No creativity.

The same characters are devalued again and again costing players more and more time, money, and effort to rank them up. A ton of work spent to get reset back down to nothing a year later.

This game is identical at all levels of the game. Whether you're in a tier 18 alliance or tier 1 alliance, it's all the same nonsense. Your 3* ultron fighting another 3* in AW is the same as your 5* ultron fighting another 5* champ in a higher tier.

Every level of player goes through the same psychological hell of upgrading their champs, it's just with a different number below each champ.

Kabam, why can't you create a game that isn't a never ending treadmill of abuse and torment? Serously. This is getting old. This is basically another nerf like 12.0 except it's indirect. All our champs are worthless now, just like they were with 12.0.
    DrZola wrote: »
    I'm just concerned as far as the arena is concerned. What incentives are there for players to continue to grind for champions that are being power crept out or just simply stuck at a level where the resources don't justify bringing them up past a certain level? Units and Battle Chips for AQ?

Not to be flippant, but anyone that doesn't want them can stop grinding for them. There are literally hundreds of thousands of other players that will be more than happy to get them if others don't want them. There's no shortage of players putting up big numbers for new featured and basic champions.

There's no shortage today. However, it is fantasy to think that players will throw themselves into 4* basic or featured arenas the same way with what's coming down the pipe unless prizes are specifically tied to the availability of rankup materials for 5*/6* champs. I appreciate your efforts to explain Challenger Rating and other basic concepts to an audience that is largely allergic to math and statistics, but I think you are in the minority on this one in a pretty large way.

Dr. Zola

I side with DNA on this one. I will be in the minority still going for these champs. I do not see 4* being as obsolete as everyone is saying. I know most will say 5* made 3* obsolete and that may be true. But to me I think 4* can still hold their own (specific ones, sure). Grinding 4* still allows me to play with a new champ I don't have and test him out for 5*/6* versions, will add another 4* to my roster, helping my arena grind, as well as help me accumulate BC for crystals that grant me gold, units, and maybe one day a 5* Punisher. One man's trash is another man's treasure and while the majority may not see value, others will.
    DrZola wrote: »

Dr. Zola

People still grind a significant number of rounds for the 3* champion. And I'm not specifically making a prediction on whether cutoff scores will rise or fall in 2018. I'm simply saying that if they fall, there are hundreds of thousands of players that will not complain that the cutoffs are lower for 4* champions. The vast majority of the playerbase is nowhere near the point where 6* champions are meaningful to them yet.

Remember that the featured arena has a 4 million milestone and 5* shards as a rank reward. There's a soft floor to how low participation is likely to get no matter what happens with 6* champions. And if I'm way off base and 3* and 4* champions really do get devalued in the minds of most of the players much more than I think they will, there will still be lots of players willing to score *something* to get 3* and 4* champs.

I mean: there are players that have been begging Kabam to "fix" the high cutoff scores in the arena. I would be surprised, but I don't think a lot of players would be complaining, if the 4* featured champ could be gotten for 5 million instead of 15 million. That's what I mean when I say even if 6* champs become the new 5* champs, there will still be plenty of people grinding the 3* and 4* arena events without further incentivization.

And I suspect there will be more incentivization in terms of more shards as rewards. That seems to be the long term trend. For many players, the arena is their current best source of 4* and 5* fragments already.
  • I was a whale. Not anymore. Why continue? To get a bunch of awesome 6* champs that you worked your ass off for and spent a ton of money for only to make 4* and eventually 5* champs obsolete.

Trust me when I say, there will be 7* coming 1.5/2 years after 6*'s are released. What's the point anymore. Kabam is driven by greed. Notice I didn't say money cause it's a company and all companies are driven by money. Kabam is greed. Milk every last penny out of the players till they've had enough. There was no need or reason to start 6* champs. Not a god damn person asked for 6*'s. We asked for the game to work right, we've asked for more t4cc's, actually **** it. Wasting my time here. **** you kabam. Greedy mother ****
    Trust me when I say, there will be 7* coming 1.5/2 years after 6*'s are released.

You say that like anyone is trying to argue the reverse. Not even Kabam would disclaim that - I suspect they would say "we currently have no plans" which is the usual game developer non-statement, but off the record I'm sure the devs know that if the game lasts long enough there will eventually be a 7* and an 8* and a 9* champion. And if not that literally, a conceptual analog to that.

I hope the lesson you learned was not that Kabam is especially wrong about this. I hope the lesson you learned is all progressional games are like this. Be careful about all of them, not just the ones Kabam makes. WoW players have had Blizzard set fire to their end game loot at least four separate times. I honestly hope that players do not spend money on things that will disappoint them, and if you believe you are buying a permanent value thing in any online game please think twice.

I've met game developers, I've been friends with game developers, I am reasonably certain that most or all of the Kabam developers would rather people not spend money on the game unless that's what they really want to do and know what they are getting out of it. The devs don't get a cut of the merch. As long as the game makes money, they don't care how much money. They don't need to squeeze every last dollar out of every last player. This is not the first time MCOC has reduced the relative value of an in-game item. This will not be the last time. The game devs probably can't post this directly, but I'm sure most of them would say don't spend if you think you are getting something permanent. They don't want you to believe you wasted your money.

Maybe not the monetization guy. But everyone else.
  • LocoMotivesLocoMotives Posts: 1,200 ★★★
    DD2 wrote: »
    Kabam wrote:
    Why We’re Releasing 6-Star Champions

As The Contest grows, some of our most dedicated and long-term players are also growing with it. It’s important for us to create new content and new ways that these players can continue to progress in the game, so that there is always more for them to achieve and more for them to do.

This says all we need to know.

99% of the player base just got their rosters defiled and devalued so Kabam can cater to the top 1%.

I think you're misunderstanding that statement. The way I read it, the 1% (actually way less) were getting too close to the end game so they moved the finish line further out. The trickle down effect hits every player though, even the tops aren't happy about this announcement.
    TOO SOON. 6* is the natural progression and no is against it. However most of us here are against the timing of its intended launch.

We are sitting with sizeable 5* rosters and are still waiting for the right ones to rank up to r4, let alone dream of a r5.

It seems by the time someone ranks up many 5* to r4 or some to r5, there will be the inevitable need to start stocking up cats and resources for 6*s.

I can speak for the others in my ally and would like to convey to you that the feelings are of disappointment rather than of excitement.

I'm not sure there would ever be a perfect time. Some players are arguing that 6* champions shouldn't be released until people have had a significant amount of time to build up and rank up rosters of 5/65 5* champions. If it was up to me, I would probably have done similar. But there are also people who believe 6* champions not only devalue their existing 5* champions they also in effect mean that all the resources spent ranking up 5* champions was ultimately wasted. I suspect if Kabam released T5B and allowed players to rank up a lot of 5* champions to 5/65 and *then* released 6* champions there would be a huge amount of complaints that the timing was proof Kabam wanted players to spend those resources on 5* champions first thus creating a shortage of them that the players would have to spend money to replace to rank up the new 6* champions. You yourself mention this potential timing problem in the reverse case.

I suspect Kabam was thinking something similar: that before they introduce T5B and increase the pool of T2A they tell the players what the future plan was so the players could decide for themselves whether to more aggressively upgrade their 5* champs or wait to see what the 6* champs would look like. And given the complaints I'm seeing now, in retrospect I think I personally would prefer to be blamed for rushing 6* champions and all that implies than be blamed for manipulating players into wasting very expensive rank up materials while hiding the fact that 6* champions were on the way.
  • DD2DD2 Posts: 309 ★★★
    Kabam wrote:

As The Contest grows, some of our most dedicated and long-term players are also growing with it. It’s important for us to create new content and new ways that these players can continue to progress in the game, so that there is always more for them to achieve and more for them to do.

99% of the player base just got their rosters defiled and devalued so Kabam can cater to the top 1%.

I think you're misunderstanding that statement. The way I read it, the 1% (actually way less) were getting too close to the end game so they moved the finish line further out. The trickle down effect hits every player though, even the tops aren't happy about this announcement.

This change will hit us much harder than the top 1%. They don't mind funneling 10s of thousands into the game, they''ll be back on their feet in months.

Anyone behind the T4C wall is screwed even more as the top guys will gain prestige much faster now and further increase their already giant lead.
  • cjs8000cjs8000 Posts: 44
    I guess this move is to keep the old, experienced players who've completed everything, and has a full roster of 4*s & 5*s, interested in the game, else they'll become bored, like the Grandmaster Crystals & calendar

Meanwhile though rather newer players who're still trying to score 4*s are gonna be rather disappointed... Cuz they now have a longer climb in front...

Would be nice to dangle a carrot in front of the intermediate level players... Such as a different daily crystal for beating Thanos or Maestro or a change to an arena bracket for players <1 year

Wondering how 6* stars would change the dynamic of the game...
  • Armaganon00Armaganon00 Posts: 741 ★★
    Mcord11758 wrote: »
    Can't wait for the first aq with 6* opponents so I can watch my 4* champs damage reduced even more

This is true Kabam, diminishing returns really should be removed. That is for pvp games, this game is not a pvp, it is a pvai. Player vs AI. I am all for the 6 stars if the champs added truely have purpose sustainability and high damage. Please dont add crappy champs.. please
    Kabam wrote:

This change will hit us much harder than the top 1%. They don't mind funneling 10s of thousands into the game, they''ll be back on their feet in months.

Anyone behind the T4C wall is screwed even more as the top guys will gain prestige much faster now and further increase their already giant lead.

Things will remain pretty much the same. Status quo. The top alliances will stay at the top and the rest will pretty much stagnate, too. If you think this will alter the prestige race and the top alliances, I hardly think so. There may be some shifting around and shuffling in the top 20 maybe but who cares?
  • I_am_GrootI_am_Groot Posts: 646 ★★
    Trust me when I say, there will be 7* coming 1.5/2 years after 6*'s are released.
    Months ago, in the old forum, many people said 6* would be released screwing everything.
    It seemed a joke for many of us. Another ones attacked it saying it was a conspiracy theory. Today it's the truth.

I can believe anything right now.
  • LocoMotivesLocoMotives Posts: 1,200 ★★★
    edited August 2017
    Kabam wrote:

But who's to say they want to do it all again? And why, when it will eventually be devalued as well? I'm guessing you're behind the "T4c wall" so you may not be the best one to decide how the top players feel about this.

I understand your frustration, I'm on the other side of the "wall" and still see this as a negative direction at this point of the game.
  • goshgodgoshgod Posts: 17
    Seriously... this is not the way to go. The game is getting boring because people are doing the same maps and opponents over and over again in AQ and AW and it's taking a toll. Also as Brian Grant suggested, so many people utilizing mystic dispersion just makes the game more boring since you see so many opponents with the same strategy in AW. There are a lot of things you can fix to get players more excited... like the game outage we are experiencing today... changing the AQ/AW format and balancing the class masteries... this just makes it more tiring. What will people think of playing the labyrinth now? It costs a ton to do it now but it'll cost a whole lot less in 1 year's time. Why feel the urge to do it when you know this is coming in the end? I'm just not sure you guys understand what's more of a priority.
  • CapWW2CapWW2 Posts: 2,901 ★★★★
    I guess kabam listen to me: thank me later mates!

8s88r1l74tta.png
    mg]
  • CapWW2CapWW2 Posts: 2,901 ★★★★
    81lprezetibo.png
  • Draco2199Draco2199 Posts: 803 ★★★
    If you want money just sell champs n items for cash already!
    cjs8000 wrote: »
    I guess this move is to keep the old, experienced players who've completed everything, and has a full roster of 4*s & 5*s, interested in the game, else they'll become bored, like the Grandmaster Crystals & calendar

Meanwhile though rather newer players who're still trying to score 4*s are gonna be rather disappointed... Cuz they now have a longer climb in front...

Would be nice to dangle a carrot in front of the intermediate level players... Such as a different daily crystal for beating Thanos or Maestro or a change to an arena bracket for players <1 year

Wondering how 6* stars would change the dynamic of the game...

I don't see it that way. Lets face it: the players still "trying to score 4*s" aren't in competition to displace the top players in the game. Most of them are worried about completing Act 4. Those players aren't trying to climb Mount Six Star yet, they are facing the summit of Act 5 and RttL and looking down the barrel of stuffing a bag full of cash into a cannon to shoot themselves over LoL.

Before they ever got a chance to climb Mount Six Star, they had to get past that first. And all of that just got a whole lot easier for them, if they are patient. Because 4* champs are going to get easier to get. 5* champs are going to get easier to get. In a year or so, 6* champs will be about as hard to get as 5* champs were last year, but they will exist which means those players will now have the choice of setting fire to their 401k to complete LoL or just waiting until they have enough shards to get a 6* champ and roll the dice on getting one that is better than a 5* champ to complete LoL. Instead of having no choice but to make the climb to the top of LoL in one jump, they will be able to choose to work up towards a 6* and then rank it up and then tackling LoL with a stronger arsenal.

Yes, the actual 6* champs benefit the top players more than the lower players. Today. But all of the changes combined are a huge benefit for lower players in my opinion. Not only did everything get easier to acquire for them, they will have options the current players don't have to complete really hard content. Just like with RoL.

And it has already started. Intermediate players are being handed half a 5* this month for free just for logging in. It took months for me to save up for my first 5* once I actually started saving. I didn't get my first 5* until over a year of playing. Someone starting today will likely get their first 5* in less time than it took for me to get my first 4* champ. Intermediate players that have been playing for a while are probably going to be earning 4* and 5* champs at twice the rate or more by the end of the year.

By any objective measure, this is great for any intermediate player that doesn't have delusions of catching up with the top 0.1% of players. Is the climb longer now? Yes: someone built another mountain for you to climb. And then handed you a jetpack.
    @Kabam Miike I know this is a bit premature but can you give us any info on materials required to rank up 6*?
  • BigPoppaCBONEBigPoppaCBONE Posts: 2,257 ★★★★★
    People are whining so much like their AW full of 3 stars will be maxed out 6 stars tomorrow.

Even if it was, so what? You lose and drop down to a level you can handle. The people throwing the biggest fits probably won't even see a 6 star opponent until they have high-level 5 stars of their own.

Entry-level and intermediate players are making out like bandits with all the changes to rewards.

The initial 6 stars will be just like the initial 5 stars. Someone having an unduped Magneto or Black Panther in their profile but not use them ever because they suck compared to a level 99 5/50 4 star.