**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

No Retreat No Skills

GreekhitGreekhit Posts: 2,805 ★★★★★
I made this post after trying multiple times with multiple 5* r4 champs to deal with it. Why the timer on no retreat is set at 1,2sec and whose call was that? Was that even tested? With the 5*s 6*s restriction at act6 and only Ghost and AA can counter this node, anyone who doesn’t have them is convicted to spend outrageous amounts of resources in order to tank the degen or unavoidable block damage. There is nothing that skills are involved, it’s clearly whether u have specific champs (of specific rarity) or u are punished for dexting. Pure bs. My suggestion is reducing no retreat timer to 1sec or 0,9sec if needed, so the guaranteed damage can be avoided with skillfull playing. Waiting for a responsible answer for a moderator and community opinions always welcome.

Comments

• WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★
    Be glad it is what it is currently. No retreat in the 6.1 beta had no timer at all. You got degen every single time you dashed back
  • GreekhitGreekhit Posts: 2,805 ★★★★★
    edited September 2019
    An 1,2sec timer on aggressive opponents. Guaranteed block damage. My estimation is that an ~1sec timer would allow a high skilled player to avoid the incoming damage. Anything above is just bs.
  • GamerGamer Posts: 10,035 ★★★★★
    Quake can do it to not the quak and back but she can be good to.
  • RasiloverRasilover Posts: 1,440 ★★★★
    Thing can ignore the degen with protection
  • SeraphionSeraphion Posts: 1,496 ★★★★
    What about Gulk?
  • Nick_Caine_32Nick_Caine_32 Posts: 587 ★★★★
    Seraphion said:

What about Gulk?

He's one of the best if not the best counter for this node. I plowed through it with mine
  • Lvernon15Lvernon15 Posts: 11,596 ★★★★★
    This node really isn’t an issue, there are tons of champs who get around it, parry heavy champs power control champs and ghost and quake, the node can be played around by being consistent with parry and using alternate special baiting tactics like hitting their block, yes you will have the occasional scenario with certain specials or stubborn ai where you are forced to take some degen or block damage, but it’s no worse as a node than something like bane
  • theMercenarytheMercenary Posts: 643 ★★★
    I recently explored that quest and I don’t have AA or ghost. All you need to know is you gotta use either Ghulk or high block proficiency champs like captain. Only pain was korg and boss himself.

After that quest all I wanted to dash back for nothing lol
  • EpistriatusEpistriatus Posts: 1,248 ★★★★
    edited September 2019
    Any1 remember slashed tires in act 4....fun times weren’t they. No timer, just dash back & take the damage.......yeah fun times, especially against that juggs 😁😆
  • Greekhit said:

I made this post after trying multiple times with multiple 5* r4 champs to deal with it. Why the timer on no retreat is set at 1,2sec and whose call was that? Was that even tested? With the 5*s 6*s restriction at act6 and only Ghost and AA can counter this node, anyone who doesn’t have them is convicted to spend outrageous amounts of resources in order to tank the degen or unavoidable block damage. There is nothing that skills are involved, it’s clearly whether u have specific champs (of specific rarity) or u are punished for dexting. Pure bs. My suggestion is reducing no retreat timer to 1sec or 0,9sec if needed, so the guaranteed damage can be avoided with skillfull playing. Waiting for a responsible answer for a moderator and community opinions always welcome.

This was tested: as @Worknprogress stated originally in beta there was no timer so you were just being evaporated if you dashed back at all. In beta the only way I could finish the map was with Hulk Ragnarok. On live, I primarily used Hulk Rag, Vision, and Blade. Hulk counters the degen somewhat. Vision has a lot of power drain which allows you to play aggressively with block and intercept tactics. And Blade can heal the degen if you make occasional dash backs since the timer prevents rapid stacking degen.

I did use AA in 6.1.1, but he wasn't as effective for me as the other three. In any case, the current 6.1.1 is very much a skill-oriented map: certainly some champs work better than others, but there are a large number of viable options if you play well.

There was a thread that formed to discuss strategy and tactics for 6.1 when it first released, it is still occasionally active but also contains a lot of valuable historical discussion for 6.1: https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/127897/act-6-chapter-1-strategies-and-tips
  • MDavis said:

Be glad it is what it is currently. No retreat in the 6.1 beta had no timer at all. You got degen every single time you dashed back

I wonder who came up with that concept, it legit makes 0 sense….

In fairness to the devs, you don't know what your top tier players can do until they try. I'm not a top tier player and I was able to finish the stupid version in beta, although I needed Hulk Rag and a significant amount of practice. But I believe there were other players capable of doing it with other champs, albeit at extreme difficulty. Enough players complained about it that it was toned down before release, which is actually how a good beta works. They wanted to challenge the top level of players but they went a bit too high, the beta testers collectively told them it was too high, and they adjusted the difficulty before release.

Interestingly, 6.1 did not have beta forums, so all the beta testers tested in isolation. So none of us really knew what everyone else was collectively thinking, and thus none of us actually knew if the feedback was going to be unified on No Retreat enough to change it. I think while many players who saw 6.1.1 for the first time when it went live thought it was too difficult, many of the beta testers actually breathed a sigh of relief and thought it was easy, precisely because they had been primed to expect the worst from the beta experience.
  • hungryhungrybbqhungryhungrybbq Posts: 2,103 ★★★★★
    edited September 2019
    Full disclosure, I haven't read the whole thread. Just the original comment. This node can be countered with your type of play style. For me, the key was to interrupt the defenders heavy attacks in between hits. Almost all of the multiple part heavies can be interrupted, stopping you from having to dash back twice. Sabretooth included. I had used heavy attack interruption from time to time before this quest (fighting stun immune Medusa in war is one good example), but this quest pushed me to use it in situations where I normally wouldn't think of it or need too. I actually walked out with a sense of accomplishment after. Learning a new play style. All is to say that it's not only champ selection that matters with this node. Technique is part of it.
  • Lvernon15Lvernon15 Posts: 11,596 ★★★★★
    MDavis said:

I wonder who came up with that concept, it legit makes 0 sense….

I’d guess the same guy that designed 6.2
  • A l p h aA l p h a Posts: 539 ★★★
    edited September 2019
    Wait until you fight the 6.2 champion with a no retreat linked node... truly fun and interactive, but not as fun as prove yourself on him 🙃

A l p h a