**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Clarification concerning a parent/child's account

ArylAryl Posts: 1,302 ★★★★
My son is asking if he can play the game; however, I have some concerns with the prospect of being banned for account sharing.

My alliance leader just received a week ban on his account and his son's account. They use the same devices. While the son does not play the father's account, the father does play the son's.

This is the exact same set-up I would be dealing with if I allow my son to play. We will share devices for our accounts, and I will log into his account because I'm a parent and parents need to parent. He would not be logging into my account.

My alliance leader is currently trying to fight the ban and has submitted a ticket.

I checked the EULA and it doesn't say anything about circumstances like this. It only says:

So, am I to infer a parent is breaking the EULA by logging into their child's account?

I need some clarification on this.

Comments

• GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    Technically, using anyone else's Account is Account Sharing. The very definition. Sharing devices is not.
  • StellarStellar Posts: 1,069 ★★★★

I mean... Yes. It's literally written right there. I don't really get your point, account sharing is account sharing.

I think the point is that account sharing between family member should be treated differently.
    Of course if you share your account with a friend or an alliance mate, you are breaking the EULA But what about a father and son sharing the same device to play the same game ?
  • StellarStellar Posts: 1,069 ★★★★
    The problem is how Kabam will be able to distinguish between family member sharing one device and alliance mate doing account sharing ?

I guess @Aryl will have to buy an iPod for his son to play MCOC :)
  • JadedJaded Posts: 5,476 ★★★★★
    It’s not account sharing. A child can not make an account on any device. If you create 3-99 accounts on your one device and let your kid play on one of them. It’s impossible for kabam to detect that. Also imo not account sharing. You created the account but only your child plays it...🤷‍♂️. Still not account sharing.

Handing your device to someone to do something isn’t account sharing.

Account sharing is when you give someone or a 3rd party your login details to do something in the game for you. I know it doesn’t state that. And may be my own iteration of the rules. But they legit can’t police who I hand my device to by choice.

(No I don’t hand my device to people to play mcoc, my wife has her own account)
  • The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,936 ★★★★
    Doesn't mcoc have an age restriction?
    I have 2 accounts on the same device, there's absolutely no way kabam could tell if I played my account on my device or if Bob down the road played my account on my device.

They could however tell if I gave Bob down the road my log in details and he played my account on his device
  • Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★
    It depends on the age of the child. Due to the complexity of the game and certain scary aspects (Venom and SS are nightmare material) it is age-restricted. If as an adult you make the account but let your child play, it is at your own peril.

I don't think Kabam can know you account share, as long you don't admit in chats. This means no alliances (I would not advise your child conversing with adults) and no chat.
  • -sixate--sixate- Posts: 1,532 ★★★★★
    My son has an account. He has taken over one of my mini accounts. I help him and show him how to play as he's only 6. He has played some weaker quests on my account too. Just teaching him the game. If that deserves a ban then ban me forever because I'll continue to do that. I don't clear content for him and he doesn't clear my content because he's not good enough to. We generally play on different devices. But if we're out and he wants to play I log him in on my phone. Or sometimes he just wants to play 1 vs 1 and I'll let him play that on my account if we're at a restaurant or a friends house. It's harmless.
  • -sixate--sixate- Posts: 1,532 ★★★★★
    I'm not saying it isn't account sharing, don't care what Kabam does. If they ban me it's more money in my pocket. My kid rarely plays, but he sees me playing so of course he's curious since he loves superheroes.
  • te_dua_shumte_dua_shum Posts: 1,001 ★★★★
    yes, it's account sharing even in this case, but because Kabam will never be able to detect it (unless they put a man out of your house to spy you) you are safe ^_^
  • ArylAryl Posts: 1,302 ★★★★
    It just seems like a precarious situation and is punished on a whim.
  • XdonreXdonre Posts: 154
    edited September 2019
    Well based on the terms of service the age requirements to use any MCOC service is 13+ for US residents & 16+ for EEA ... in addition users 13 -18 parents' must give consent to use those services and it is the parent that is bound by those terms which legally means that the parent is the actual owner/ responsible party of the account.
  • We don't discuss the actions taken on someone's account here on the forums. This needs to be discussed with our Support team. However, if an account is within violation of Terms of Service there may be infractions taken upon said account.
This discussion has been closed.