**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Upcoming Cull Obsidian and Ebony Maw Balance Changes

Comments

• GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,193 ★★★★★

DNA3000 said:

CFree said:

So do y’all plan on giving everyone who spent money to get cull there money back ? Say the people that spent 500-1000$ to pull this champ and then carried him to rank 5. You gonna refund them their money ? Highly doubt it, how about the time people spent to get him in arena can you give that back as well ? Didn’t think so, I’ve been apart of this game since the month it came out and I’ve always loved it but y’all keep this up y’all will lose a ton of people including me. What if you paid your car off then the dealership came and took it and gave you a suckier one that you didn’t want. Wouldn’t like that would ya? I understand balance I really do but all cull has is damage, take that away and he has nothing. Doesn’t have immunities, no utility, takes forever to ramp up. That is all, do the right thing please. I’ve enjoyed the game for a long time.

the money will not be returned because the adjustment will be 3 months later to avoid asking for a refund by apple since its refund policy is 90 days for what the apple users said
    Interesting speculation, but I don’t think that’s why the re-evaluation occurs at 3 months.
    It occurs at three months for the simple reason that the shorter the period after release that the review occurs, the less representative the data is. Beyond a certain point the review is both increasingly meaningless, and also increases the chances that the future downstream data (say, from a year after release) shows problems the earlier one didn't, forcing Kabam to change the champion twice rather than once. Even three months is pretty short, because champions haven't even had much of a chance (if any) to drop from basic crystals yet.
    You don't know the reason why Kabam choose 3 months any explanation is on speculation on your part. It's really 6 months when you break it down. It is 3 month announcement, even though Cull is far past 3 months and you get the changes 3 months later for a total of 6 months.
    I'd bet Dollars to Cents that he's making an educated guess.
  • DNA3000 said:

CFree said:

So do y’all plan on giving everyone who spent money to get cull there money back ? Say the people that spent 500-1000$ to pull this champ and then carried him to rank 5. You gonna refund them their money ? Highly doubt it, how about the time people spent to get him in arena can you give that back as well ? Didn’t think so, I’ve been apart of this game since the month it came out and I’ve always loved it but y’all keep this up y’all will lose a ton of people including me. What if you paid your car off then the dealership came and took it and gave you a suckier one that you didn’t want. Wouldn’t like that would ya? I understand balance I really do but all cull has is damage, take that away and he has nothing. Doesn’t have immunities, no utility, takes forever to ramp up. That is all, do the right thing please. I’ve enjoyed the game for a long time.

the money will not be returned because the adjustment will be 3 months later to avoid asking for a refund by apple since its refund policy is 90 days for what the apple users said
    Interesting speculation, but I don’t think that’s why the re-evaluation occurs at 3 months.
    It occurs at three months for the simple reason that the shorter the period after release that the review occurs, the less representative the data is. Beyond a certain point the review is both increasingly meaningless, and also increases the chances that the future downstream data (say, from a year after release) shows problems the earlier one didn't, forcing Kabam to change the champion twice rather than once. Even three months is pretty short, because champions haven't even had much of a chance (if any) to drop from basic crystals yet.
    You don't know the reason why Kabam choose 3 months any explanation is on speculation on your part. It's really 6 months when you break it down. It is 3 month announcement, even though Cull is far past 3 months and you get the changes 3 months later for a total of 6 months.
    I don't know the specific reason why Kabam picked 90 days instead of 91 days or 89 days, this is true. However, I do know the environment in which they have to make this decision based on a reasonable assumption that Kabam datamines like everyone else does, plus what everyone here knows about how champions enter the game. So while I can't say the precise thought that was in their collective heads when they made their choice, I can say with reasonable certainty what trade off they were considering when they were making their choice. The longer the interval the more representative the data, but also the longer that issues have to persist in the game.

Plus, Kabam said that they would review champs three months after release, not announce reviews three months after release, and they gave no indication as to how long these reviews last. The process would be to start the review on or around three months after release so you have three months of usage data, there would be some time when the analysis took place (which includes time that it might take to wait for a window of available time to open up with the required designers), they would have to decide if there was anything needing to be addressed, and also in what direction those changes would generally take place, they would likely announce that such changes were coming at this point, and then work on designing and testing those changes, then fold them into the release pipeline.

Cull entered the game in mid May. Three months of data get collected by mid August. They announced Cull was being changed in mid September. That's an entirely reasonable timeline for a process that itself is relatively new. Given the way game development is pipelined, one month for resources to complete their current tasks and freed for the review, plus collecting the data mining reports, plus review time, plus brainstorming the basic outline of changes, is a relatively normal amount of time. They also reviewed three champions, and almost certainly waited until all three were reviewed before making their announcement, so that one month encompasses three champion reviews not one.
  • TheTalentsTheTalents Posts: 2,254 ★★★★★

DNA3000 said:

CFree said:

I understand what a hypothesis is. You nor @DNA3000 speak for Kabam. Just making that clear though i appreciate the logic in your defense.

I think Kabam needs to do the right thing to their player base and just increase Cull's block proficiency, it would actually make him a better champion than he is now even if he loses 25% damage.

DNA3000 said:

CFree said:

I understand what a hypothesis is. You nor @DNA3000 speak for Kabam. Just making that clear though i appreciate the logic in your defense.

I think Kabam needs to do the right thing to their player base and just increase Cull's block proficiency, it would actually make him a better champion than he is now even if he loses 25% damage.
    Neither one of us claimed to speak for Kabam. What I was saying however, was that his hypothesis would be an educated one.
    I'm not sure what you mean by doing the right thing, but thus far nothing has been indicated other than that they find his Damage more than others in some capacity. We don't know what changes are being considered yet.
  • TheTalentsTheTalents Posts: 2,254 ★★★★★

DNA3000 said:

CFree said:

Neither one of us claimed to speak for Kabam. What I was saying however, was that his hypothesis would be an educated one.
    I'm not sure what you mean by doing the right thing, but thus far nothing has been indicated other than that they find his Damage more than others in some capacity. We don't know what changes are being considered yet.
    When I say doing the right thing, I'm saying protect the game and their pocket books. People do not trust spending on new champions right now so I'm not saying it for my sake.
  • SDPSDP Posts: 1,622 ★★★★
    Do you guys ever stop? We understand your stance. You’ve made it abundantly clear.

DNA3000 said:

CFree said:

When I say doing the right thing, I'm saying protect the game and their pocket books. People do not trust spending on new champions right now so I'm not saying it for my sake.
    Protecting the game really has very little to do with their pocket books. Protecting the game is exactly what these changes are doing in the long run. I agree that having the consumer in mind is an important aspect of business, but the Devs aren't really concerned with financial aspects. Their concern is Programming. With that comes making decisions with the best interest of that in mind. If issues arise where they find a way to maximize efficiency and reduce the amount of work moving forward, they're likely going to look at that. There's a fine line between feedback and threatening them with not spending. What's best for the game from a design point of view is their concern, and that is their only concern as far as their jobs go. I would have great concern if their primary focus was foregoing improvement to appease spenders.
  • DNA3000 said:

CFree said:

You don't speak for the players, and you don't know what the players actually think, and you don't know what impact this will make on the game. You only know what a tiny number of players claim to think. Anything else is a guess. Did you not feel compelled to clarify both situations earlier?

Also, what I posted was not in any way a hypothesis. Hypotheses are possible explanations for the facts, not possible deductions from those facts. An induction or deduction from the facts is the exact opposite of a hypothesis.
  • Harry_hzyHarry_hzy Posts: 22

DNA3000 said:

CFree said:

Don't argue and yelling them, your comment will be deleted and you will be warned. Now you can see most of players do not argue with them, everyone know what happened and I think everyone know how to do the next. Couple of my game friends who spent lots of money before already told us, they will quit after this season finish, more my game friends stop spend money. Kabam don’t care about what we said here, but I think they do care about money and profit, so we do what we need to do, let them to choose, there is no point to waste time argue with someone.
  • DrZola said:

3) I keep hearing things like “QA can’t be perfect,” “QA can’t predict the future.” I agree. Crazy, esoteric champ uses are always going to pop up in a maniacal community like this one.

But you’d have to be pretty credulous to believe that no one on the game team realized a ramped up Cull the Damage Dealer might actually deal a lot of damage.

Let's set aside the question of whether there are in fact data design rules internally, and whether that's even a good way to manage an online game. Let's simply suppose that somehow, in some manner, the game developer does have some limit beyond which they would consider a champ to be dealing "too much damage" in some unspecified way.

In that situation, there's two ways to avoid breaking that limit. The first way is to monitor the game to see if anything breaks the limit, and fix it if it does. But there's another way: you can simply make sure everything you design is nowhere near the limit, and nowhere near the margin for error of design. In other words, if you aim every champ at "average damage" you're extremely unlikely to ever make a champ that has "too much damage." It is still possible, but it would happen far less often.

It does also mean that everything is less different, and there's much less variability in the game. You can't afford to push the envelope on anything, you can't even touch envelopes for fear of drifting anywhere near the limit where you have to take action, if the overriding goal is to avoid ever taking action.

So in this situation, you'd be forced to choose between two alternatives: changing existing things, and angering some players who have those things, or making everything less interesting in general, so everyone always gets what they expect, but they never get certain things because the designers are not allowed to make them, even though they are perfectly acceptable to have in the game. This has very difficult to predict deleterious effects on the future of your game. Maybe you trade having no one unhappy anymore with having no one particularly happy either.

Whether Kabam is thinking this directly I can't say. But it is something I would worry about.
    DrZola said:

Always enjoy the exchanges. I know you wouldn’t put so much thought into your posts if the game didn’t matter to you.

Dr. Zola

Same. I find your posts generally thoughtful, whether I agree with them or not. I think the forums would be better off with a hundred Zolas, even if they were all ganging up on me to disagree. I think the idea of test drive is worth discussing, but beyond the scope of the thread.
  • r3dyr3dy Posts: 30
    So, let's get back to the topic ...

I believe that if a champion is unbalanced, it should be based on a set of rules used as a checklist to review before launching.

Understandably, not everything can be check,but there must be a minimum and each champion must be released with this minimum. And damage is something that developers can easily test.

Kabam needs to improve how these champions are released. They started with HT and Anihilus, they both need a buff, two of the next three need some adjustment (they tried to fix cull several times) and the following are IW and namor that has already been "fixed", and who knows what they are going to do with the last

The amount of bug with which the content is released is surprising
  • CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    JohnHS said:

Dang, this discussion just won't end, will it? Any way to unfollow?

• JohnHSJohnHS Posts: 509 ★★★
    Thanks @CoatHang3r, but I just want to unfollow THIS discussion. Any way to do this?
  • ButtehrsButtehrs Posts: 4,681 ★★★★★
    Click on the star. If it's not yellow you won't get notified
  • BriceMiesterBriceMiester Posts: 278

IKON said:

How did you guys not see this coming?

Cull was out about 6 months before that announcement buddy.
    They said they would inform the community before release, they havent done that once, they release a champ then wait awhile then tell them the champ is getting nerfed, they dont inform the community that they have released a champ that is broken or under tested they wait til people have spent tons of gold and iso than tell them their favorite champs are getting "rebalanced" it would be nice if they would rebalance champs that actually need improvement before nerfing champs that are useful, how many useful champs they gonna nerf before the entire dynamic of the game changes. You cant determine which champs are useful, I've got T4Bs sitting in my stash because I cant decide which champ to improve worrying their gonna get nerfed because they are useful
    Money-based? Yes. The company makes money. The Devs? Don't see that money. They receive a Salary for doing their job. That job isn't centered around money. It's centered around Development. There's a misconception that the entire company is a money-centric, single entity. That their every internal decision is about money. That's not accurate. Not in the least.
    McDonald's is a Corporation. I spent a brief stint working there at 16 years old, many years ago. Protocol was that you had to upsell every Order without fail. Do you think I cared if people Super Sized their Order? No. I cared if I kept my job. I got paid the same whether someone bought a Big Mac, or walked out and flipped me the bird.
  • DestroyerDestroyer Posts: 130
    I personally don't have a problem with any re-balancing of ANY champ at ANY time. If it diminishes the usability of the champ in any way by lowering damage output, defensive attributes, etc, then I would expect them to issue a RTD as they have done in the past.

Things being the way they are atm, I can see how this new approach makes sense from Kabam's perspective in terms of the gameplay itself being broken by a new champ's unforeseen interaction once they are in the live environment. I want to be excited for new champs, but this three month testing period says to me that the new champs may be better or worse, from a player's perspective, in 3-6 months. Not very exciting when what you're looking at is potentially an unfinished product. I have never thought about new champs in this light, but OK; I can live with "waiting to see" if this is how they want to do things moving forward. I'll just wait til the dust settles and be happy or not if I pull this new champ from a basic knowing that what I have in my roster is a finished product.

I'm even OK with thinking that if I were to spin some first run FGMCs, get a new champ, and take them up to r5/r2 that I am beta testing this new champ for them. I'd be happy to give feedback here on the forums knowing that the data I was providing by playing this shiny new, freshly ranked champ was helping in the Dev's final development process. I understand that hundreds of players playing with this new champ makes data collection much more efficient for Kabam. OK, cool. This all sounds reasonable to me so far....but....

Considering all of the above, and also considering that this data collection is happening right now as I type, I think that if I decided to put time, money, and in-game resources into this new champ, it should at least be worth a RDT if the data that I helped provide led Kabam to the conclusion that the champ needs toned down.

This at the very least would be something to hedge my bet against if I were to go for this new champ via crystals or arena using time and/or earned/purchased units. I understand that I wouldn't get any time or real dollars back, it's the in game resources that I really want to protect. RDTs provide this protection. It seems like more than a fair exchange between Kabam and it's customers/beta testers if you are releasing and we are obtaining a champ that may not be "finished". I'm not saying I like it, but it is clear that that is what has been happening.

Help me help you Kabam!

• DestroyerDestroyer Posts: 130
    I don't disagree. I think we all thought Cull was safe seeing as how he was in the basic. This particular situation does call for more imo. I'm just saying that if we knew the risk ahead of time and knew that by taking the risk, we'd at least get RDTs for going out on a limb for a new champ, it would be a bit easier to swallow moving forward. As of today, we get nothing.

So I'm suggesting that if Kabam expects us to purchase or grind for, and then test an unfinished product, at least give us a safety net. I have spent money on this game. I will continue to spend if they:

1. Honor their word re: notice before champ hits basic.

2. Incentivize me to help them gather data on a new champ by issuing RDTs for champs they adjust down.

Anything short of this and I just don't see myself ever getting a FGMC, or a vast majority of their offers in the future.
  • Yes it sucks because I have him awakened and maxed out Max sig so I'm up the creek with no paddle
    As DNA suggested, I don't think they're looking at "X amount of Damage". It's not even necessary to comb the data to see he can hit hard. For me, the key part of the comment is the comparative one. They said he does more than any other higher-end Champs. I don't think that's necessarily the amount of Damage in total he's capable of. I think it's some other factor. In any event, what it suggests is that he varies from other Champs in a degree they're not comfortable with.
This discussion has been closed.