**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Captain Marvel is gaining energy charges outside of her written abilities.

CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
Captain Marvel gains energy charges when taking any form of energy damage. This is not listed as an ability and seems to contradict how she is stated to gain them “when struck”. She will build charges from passive energy damage (Mephisto’s aura, Electro’s reflective, etc damage) and also from debuffs that deal energy damage (Coldsnap, incinerate, etc)

Under Energy Absorption in her ability page it describes that she gains charges when stuck by energy attacks. It is not mentioned that she builds charges when taking any energy damage.

From spotlight.
“ ENERGY ABSORPTION
Captain Marvel gains Persistent Energy Charges by Blocking Physical Attacks and when Struck by Energy Attacks. Any Energy Charges that Captain Marvel ends a fight with persists between fights. Max 25 stacks.
Well Timed Blocks generate an additional Energy Charge.
At the start of the fight, Captain Marvel gains 2% of Max Power for each Energy Charge she has.
Captain Marvel suffers 251.43 damage when Energy Charges are generated by the effects of Mystic Champions.”

Video showing charges building without being struck. Mephisto’s aura, Electro’s Static Shock and Iceman’s Coldsnap.
https://youtu.be/x6hNeC76ssY

Ios 12.4
Ipad pro 10.5
Video shown is dueling, however this occurs in all game modes.
Version 24.2.1
Wifi

Comments

• ChampioncriticChampioncritic Posts: 3,347 ★★★★
    I'm guessing that taking damage from DoT effects like aura of incineration, coldsnap, etc, counts as "being struck" by energy attacks. Its theoretically feasible since those effects are technically energy based, but whether taking tick damage from them counts as being struck is intended or not, kabam needs to clarify.
  • StevieManWonderStevieManWonder Posts: 5,017 ★★★★★
    I don’t know if this helps, but Bishop, who also is an energy dependent champ, builds prowess charges when affected by DoT effects like incinerate and cold snap and passives like aura of incineration and limbo. I imagine Cap marble works the same way
  • CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    edited September 2019

I don’t know if this helps, but Bishop, who also is an energy dependent champ, builds prowess charges when affected by DoT effects like incinerate and cold snap and passives like aura of incineration and limbo. I imagine Cap marble works the same way

This why is part of why I bring it up. Bishop is defined/explained to have this ability where CM does not.

Bishop’s spotlight.
    - Energy Attacks against Bishop generate 70% more Power plus 1 stack of Prowess.
    - Energy Damage abilities against Bishop have up to a 40% chance with each tick to generate 2% Power plus 1 stack of Prowess. No effect against the abilities of Tech Champions.

I’m looking to
    A- See if this is intended and omitted from the characters abilities.

B- A bug.
  • ItsDamienItsDamien Posts: 5,626 ★★★★★
    edited September 2019
    "Captain Marvel gains Persistent Energy Charges by Blocking Physical Attacks and when Struck by Energy Attacks"

And when struck by energy attacks. Aura of Incineration deals energy damage. Its an energy attack. It may be a passive energy attack but its still an energy attack.

Edit: screenshots of both Electro and Mephisto energy damage thorns like abilities.

• Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,731 ★★★★★
    I can see where the OP is trying to get with this.
    But is rght, the wording is misleading here. DoT effects aren't considered attacks.

So, either she isn't supposed to gain charges this way, or there is missing information on her abilities list

But is rght, the wording is misleading here. DoT effects aren't considered attacks.

So, either she isn't supposed to gain charges this way, or there is missing information on her abilities list

The wording could be better yes, but the intended outcome is also correct. DoT effects have their own unique attributes, whether you want to think of them at attacks or not. A bleed is not an energy attack but a physical one. An incinerate, a shock, would be energy based.
    ItsDamien said:

"Captain Marvel gains Persistent Energy Charges by Blocking Physical Attacks and when Struck by Energy Attacks"

And when struck by energy attacks. Aura of Incineration deals energy damage. Its an energy attack. It may be a passive energy attack but its still an energy attack.

What definition of strike/struck is used to reach this conclusion?
    ItsDamien said:

The wording could be better yes, but the intended outcome is also correct. DoT effects have their own unique attributes, whether you want to think of them at attacks or not. A bleed is not an energy attack but a physical one. An incinerate, a shock, would be energy based.
    Not really. Those are not attacks, and do not work as attacks for other champions abilities as well

ItsDamien said:

A logical conclusion. To take damage you have to be struck. Unless its the super fun interactive damage like Dorms degen or Magiks Limbo, which is ****. But in those two instances they are thorns like abilities with energy damage.

ItsDamien said:

Not really. Those are not attacks, and do not work as attacks for other champions abilities as well
    Traditionally Damage over Time has to be applied via an attack, it's been that way in literally any game with Damage of Time effects since their conception.
    ItsDamien said:

ItsDamien said:

Traditionally Damage over Time has to be applied via an attack, it's been that way in literally any game with Damage of Time effects since their conception.
    That would be the way to trigger the DoT effect. Something for example Gwenpool, she needs to hit (aka attack) the opponent in order to apply the bleed debuffs. The damage from the bleed itself is not an attack, is just damage.

If there ever was a node like "if you attack the opponent you die", Blade via parry-bleed can cause damage without dying, since he isn't attacking.
    ItsDamien said:

ItsDamien said:

A logical conclusion. To take damage you have to be struck. Unless its the super fun interactive damage like Dorms degen or Magiks Limbo, which is ****. But in those two instances they are thorns like abilities with energy damage.
    That’s not congruent with established game terminology.

ItsDamien said:

ItsDamien said:

That would be the way to trigger the DoT effect. Something for example Gwenpool, she needs to hit (aka attack) the opponent in order to apply the bleed debuffs. The damage from the bleed itself is not an attack, is just damage.

If there ever was a node like "if you attack the opponent you die", Blade via parry-bleed can cause damage without dying, since he isn't attacking.
    After having more time to think about it, neither of the abilities that occurred are DoTs that apply their damage in the same way as any other DoT.

So to elaborate, bleed, poison, shock, any other dots, they directly apply to your opponent and begin to deal damage without further input from you. You place the bleed, the bleed does damage. Both Aura and the Electrostatic are contact based, meaning unless the opponent is directly in striking range or currently striking an opponent they don't deal damage. So they aren't DoTs at all.

First, Electrostatic is more of a counter attack, similar to reverberation on KM or Quakes shield. While these don't actively have to be used as an attack they can't be considered a Dot either, they're more of a counter attack thorns effect. Punch an electric fence, and you'll get shocked but once you remove that contact you won't be getting shocked anymore. The effect is lost when contact is lost.

As for Aura, I don't see this as a DoT either, but as a passive attack. To explain, the firey orb that rotates around Mephisto must be in striking distance to apply the damage, and while this is my interpretation here I always imagine that the little firey ball only deals damage as it orbits and hits into an opponent, like repeatedly getting smacked in the face by someone swinging a ball on a rope, but if I move out of the range of that I won't be getting smacked in the face any more.

I know that the last part is interpretation with the ball on a rope imagery, but you can't deny that these both aren't DoTs as they aren't directly placed onto an enemy, and they can't deal damage to an enemy unless they are within applicable range.

Since they also can't be nullified, or stopped without AAR, it'd be safer to call them passive attacks than DoTs.
  • Hey there, I will check with the rest of the team about this.
    For mephisto, Aura of Incineration is a passive damage over time, that only deals the damage part when opponent is near mephisto. This can be tested using Gladiator Hulk, which works against him due to being a passive damage over time ability
    @ItsDamien To elaborate, Thing has this description. (There are likely other descriptions similar as well.)

• Generate 1 Rock Stack when Struck.

We know he does not generate Rock Stacks when taking DoT/passive damage and you need to use an attack (Make contact) for this to occur. So Dots/passives do not count as being struck. Though it would be hilarious if he gained Rock Stacks similar to how CM gains energy charges.

Also Ultron who gains health and power when attacked by energy. He need to be hit (contact has to be made). He does not benefit from either energy DoTs or passives like CM.

With the combination of terms “struck by an energy based attack” it is a rather specific description explaining that when the opponent makes energy based contact she gains the charge. It simply isn’t open to interpretation no matter how loosely you choose to define both struck and attack.

• Hey there, I've talked with the team and gotten confirmation that Captain Marvel is supposed to gain Energy Charges whenever she receives Energy damage, rather than only gaining them when only when she's struck by an Energy based attack. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused and are working on getting her description updated to clarify this mechanic.