**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

[iOS] 23.0 Lag, Crashing and Performance Investigation

Hi Summoners!

Our team is working to identify and address performance issues in The Contest and we need your help as we gather relevant information.

As part of this process, it is important for you to understand that lag and game performance are affected by a host of factors including: device, operating system, connection and even Champions or maps. Complicated issues such as these involve an equally complicated investigation process, due to all of these variables. Your contributions to this thread will help in that investigation. This, however, does not mean that there is one single “fix” coming that will address all concerns for all players. It is an ongoing process of improvements that the team is continually working toward as the game progresses.

If you are experiencing crashing, lag, unresponsive controls or performance problems in the iOS version of The Contest, please reply using the template below.

This thread is for iOS users only.

In-Game Name: Please include your in-game (not forum) name.
Device and Model: (Example, iPhone 7)
Device Operating System: (Example, iOS 11) You can find out the operating system on an iPhone by going to Settings, then General and scrolling down to “Version.”
Cellular or WiFi: Does this issue happen when you are using cellular data, WiFi or both? If on cellular, what is your mobile carrier?
Game Version Installed: To check which version of the game you have installed, go to the App Store and confirm that you have the latest version installed which will show you the number. This thread is only for those on the 23.0 version of the game.
Game Mode: In which game mode did the error occur? Story Quests, Event Quests, Arena, Alliance Quest or Alliance War.
Description of the Issue: Please include a full and complete description of the lag and performance issue you are experiencing with as much relevant detail as possible. This includes any specific Champions affected and how long you’ve been experiencing the issue.

Replies to this thread must use the template below and provide relevant, constructive information about the issue. This thread is for information gathering and not one-on-one support. Off topic posts, requests for status updates and general complaints will be removed according to the forum rules.

Comments

• 18sae5618sae56 Posts: 126
    In-Game Name: 18sae56
    Device and Model: iPad 2017

Device Operating System: iOS 12.2

Cellular or WiFi: WiFi

Game Version Installed: 23.0

Game Mode: AW, AQ, Arena, opening crystals

Description of the Issue: dropped frames and lag in fights. While in the crystal opening screen, it's fully unresponsive for a number of seconds before you can do anything. Can't swipe screen up smoothly. Have to force quit and reload. I need to do this the number of times every hour.
  • LakikleiLakiklei Posts: 1
    In-Game Name: LAKIKKEI
    Device and model: iPhone 7, iPad 2018
    Device operating systems: iOS 12.2
    Cellular or WIFI: ipad-WiFi, iPhone WiFi/Cellular
    Game mode: Arena, AW,AQ, Underground
    Lags in fights and device heats up after 3-4 series in arena.
  • JoeCool23JoeCool23 Posts: 24
    In-Game Name: JOE COOL
    Device and Model: Iphone6+
    Cellular or WIFI: Both
    Game Mode: Arena, AQ, Champions Screen, Crystal Screen

Description of Issues: Device heats up in all modes. Crashes as least once per hour entering fights, opening crystals, even just trying to review champions. Crystal and Champions screens are unresponsive up to a minute - very slow loading and can't scroll. End up having to close and relaunch game - only to have same things reoccur after in game 10-15 min.
  • SunSleepsSunSleeps Posts: 6
    In-Game Name: SunSleeps
    Device and Model: iPhone 7+
    Cellular or WiFi: Wifi and Cellular
    Game Version Installed: 22.1 version
    Game Mode: Story quest, Event quest, AQ, haven't tried AW yet.
    Description of the Issue: Overall game-play is very laggy which has caused me to lose fights and spend loads of units which shouldn't have happened. Lags (major lag during intense or long combat situations or after long time game play), game drops controls and animations. game is it very glitchy/choppy at any moment in the fight. Makes timing blocks and attacks impossible as well as intercepting a dash attack with a special. Hoping this will be resolved soon.

Since the last update majority of iOS players experience the same irritating lags and stuttering. It Spoils the fun of game. I see many people over here posted about the same problem, but so far nothing happened about it, should we give up?
  • Captain_KandiceCaptain_Kandice Posts: 222 ★★

In-Game Name: Captain Kandice
    Device and Model: iPhone XR
    Device Operating System: (Example, iOS 11) iOS 12.2
    Cellular or WiFi: Both
    Game Version Installed: 23.0.
    Game Mode: all
    Description of the Issue: Unresponsive controls like failed blocks, especially at the start of a fight or dash backs failing.

Game also starts stuttering in any fight that lasts more than 20-30 seconds. It will stop for a few seconds and then start stuttering again.
  • The_Beyonderer0The_Beyonderer0 Posts: 14
    It keeps timing me out even after the update. Lots of lag during fights also.
  • borntohulaborntohula Posts: 447 ★★★
    In-Game Name: borntohula
    Device and Model: iPhone XS Max
    Game Mode: All
    Description of the Issue: Frame rate drops, severe stuttering, unresponsive controls. Aka the usual. The longer the fight, the more noticeable. Once it hits, it’s borderline unplayable. Sucks all the fun and skill out of playing.
  • nagarajtg5nagarajtg5 Posts: 10
    n-Game Name: Ekhalavya
    Device and Model: Moto G5S Plus

Device Operating System: Android 8.1.0

Game Mode: Event Quests

Description of the Issue: Its bit annoying it's lagging on approximate 10 to 20 seconds average and there are some known issue such like , some parry doesn't work and when you dexterity, game will freeze for some seconds and swipe or tap doesn't work ending up with getting hit and finally knockout. Also sometime taps doesn't register in the way when I parry, suddenly it doesn't work and automatically go to heavy attack and finally it doesn't work on enemies and get hits.
  • Captain_KandiceCaptain_Kandice Posts: 222 ★★

In-Game Name: Captain Kandice
    Device and Model: iPhone XR
    Game Version Installed: 23.0.
    Description of the Issue: Unresponsive controls like failed blocks, especially at the start of a fight or dash backs failing.

Game also starts stuttering in any fight that lasts more than 20-30 seconds. It will stop for a few seconds and then start stuttering again.

Update. Now using 23.0.1 and still runs the same.
  • Madman_marvinMadman_marvin Posts: 644 ★★★★
    Name: Allen_M
    Phone: iPhone 8plus
    Latest iOS
    Latest game build
    Game is back to constantly closing itself when going out of app. If you pause a fight and screen goes black, you’re screwed. That plus extra long load times mean that the game is near unplayable for me.
  • Munrolm02Munrolm02 Posts: 88
    I ended up getting brand new Samsung Galaxy tab S3 2019. Plus high speed Cogeco internet and the game still lags more than it has ever in my four years playing.
  • Lt_Magnum_1Lt_Magnum_1 Posts: 639 ★★
    The game has been crashing more than ever for me crashed 3 times in a 10 minute span. Device: Samsung galaxy Tab A 9.7. I only run on Wi-Fi (Device has no access to cellular or at least that I know of). Runs on 7.1.1 operating system. IG Name: Lt. Magnum. Game Mode: primarily event quest but happens in all modes. 23.0.1.
  • In-Game Name: walczonline
    Device and Model: Ipad 4 mini
    Game Version Installed: 23.0.1
    Game Mode: ALL

15-20 FPS during fight.. Heat up after first fight.
  • Feeney234Feeney234 Posts: 1,136 ★★★★
    edited April 2019
    In-Game Name: Feeney234
    Device and Model: iPad (6th Gen)
    Cellular or WiFi: Both WiFi/Cellular Daya
    Game Mode: Arena champion selection, crystal menu
    Description of the Issue: after about an hour or so of grinding arena, i notice a huge drop in frame rate when going to select a new team. Im talking BAD. Unable to scroll down the dozens and dozens of champions to select my next team. Makes it very hard to get in an effective run. This issue also follows me to the crystals screen. Very hard to navigate through that menu as well.

When this happens, ill close the game for a few minutes and jump back on. That sort of helps, but the lag just comes back. This is essentially a brand new iPad i purchased specifically for this game. So i do not believe its my device. I have buddies in my alliance who experience the same thing, and they play on ipad pros.

There isnt much lag once im in a fight, thank god. Ive noticed minor dropped frame rates here and there, but nothing too alarming and it usually was only just a spike. The root of the lag for me is navigating through the menus; specifically crystal menus, and while selecting a team for arena (when trying to zip through my champions to select my next team to run). This has by far been the worst lag ive ever experienced on my iPad. Its very annoying.
  • In-Game Name: E.T. !Reloaded!

Device and Model: iPad 2018

Game Mode: AQ, Arena, Quest

Description of the Issue: Reported “dashing forward” issues numerous times. It did seem to be fixed until a week ago. This time it is worse, the characters are “dashing back” when they hit the opponent or when trying to go toward the opponent. When holding for block on difficult fights, they “dash forward” and become easy target and lose lots of health.

For ex, when you parry an opponent and try to hit them, the character goes towards left instead of right and won’t hit the opponent . Especially on difficult fights it becomes unplayable.

I hit the pause and change the rotation (home button on left) this might help sometimes. If that does not work, I turn off the device and come back after few minutes and can’t say it solves the problems 100%. These might get me through the fight.

I live on GMT +3 and this seems to occur more between 10 a.m. till 20 p.m.

Btw, I noticed screen slowing during crystal openings but it happens occasionally
  • In-Game Name: SumNR
    Device and Model: iPad 6th Gen (2018)
    Device Operating System: iOS 11.4.1
    Game Mode: All Fight Modes
    Description of the Issue: OBSTRUCTED VIEWS in some fight locations (see screen captures or videos posted in other threads about this). A couple background scenes (Avengers Tower is one of them) have elements (Columns, Light Posts, Support Beams, Railings, etc) that are designed to be IN FRONT of the action (relative to the observer, being us). Which is OK most of the time because the “Camera” is normally positioned between the action and these other objects. BUT WHEN CAMERA POSITION IS PULLED BACK (widescan when heroes move further away from each other), the Camera moves to a point further away that these obstructive elements. And then when panning back and forth during widescan camera view, these elements (beams, etc) actually now come into the field of view, and can obstruct you from seeing the hero at times. NOT NEW, THIS HAS BEEN LIKE THIS FOR 3+ YEARS. Why do any of the fight locations even have elements that are placed in front of the heroes ?

• In-Game Name: Fall Dog
    Device and Model: iPhone 8+ & iPad Air 2
    Device Operating System: iOS 12.2 on both
    Cellular or WiFi: wifi on the iPad and both cellular and wifi with the iPhone
    Game Version Installed: v23.0.1 for both
    Game Mode: AQ, Quest, Arenas and then moving through game menus. Pretty much everything right now.
    Description of the Issue: screen loading time is running between 45-60 seconds where you see the wheel. Once the screen finally shows up you have to wait additional 30-60 seconds for it to start being functional. Same type of behaviour on the map portions of AQ and Quests - once the fight finishes you wait for the loading screen then wait for the map to be functional.
    Fighting in all areas is suffering from choppy frame rates. You can’t time your blocks or parry so taking tons of damage. The controls are not responding as well. When you swipe to dash forward the champ will dash backward. When you attempt to evade or make space swiping left your champ will dash forward and get smashed.
    I’ve died 3 time in AQ today one day one...that simply never happens. When I died the first time due to the lag I shut down my iPad and went to my phone. I died again due to the lag to I shut off the wifi to my phone and played on cellular. And died again thanks to the awesome lag. I love blowing my resource.
    The game is unplayable at this point with the choppy laggy screen rate and controls not responding.
  • Kidd_lucky1Kidd_lucky1 Posts: 29
    In game messages and friend request takes long to appear.
  • LiviuDamianLiviuDamian Posts: 6

In-Game Name: LiviuDamian.
    Device and Model: Iphone 6
    Device Operating System: iOS 11
    Cellular or WiFi: i use wifi(checked it every time,reset my router still the lag appears)
    Game Version Installed: 23.0 version of the game.
    Game Mode: In which game mode did the error occur? Story Quests, Event Quests, Arena, Alliance Quest or Alliance War.The lag is everywhere,
    Description of the Issue: The problem is the lag,it cause me to stop mid combo,but the defender doesn`t stop so i get combo,or i go in for an intercept i time it correctly and before contact it lags,stops,and i get a 5 combo to the face.
    I also have an issue with SP3 my hero dashs forward 80% of the times,i always get ruined,im using hyperion to test the problem out and for nameless thanos and 4 out of 5 i get punished.This is valide not only for hyperion for my other heroes as well.
    Lag when opening crystals
    Lag when entering quests

Some defenders react unusually fast,i dont know if its the lag or something else,but i seem to be missing a second and that costs me alot.

• borntohulaborntohula Posts: 447 ★★★
    In-Game Name: borntohula
    Device and Model: Iphone XS Max
    Game Mode: AQ and AW

The (insane) lag and weird controls I experienced previously in all game-modes, now mostly materialize in AQ and AW. I was hit twice by a special mid-combo in AW yesterday and am currently experiencing extremely low frame rate (the screen literally shudders) in AQ. Events and Arena are both (mostly) smooth though.

Of note: in AQ today, the sound once again continues AFTER the fight is over. It's almost as if AQ and AW run an earlier, much worse version of the game. As is, both AQ and AW are zero fun and borderline unplayable.

• PunitiveDamagesPunitiveDamages Posts: 3
    In-Game Name: PunitiveDamages
    Device and Model: iPhone 6
    Device Operating System: (Example, iOS 11) iOS 12.1.4
    Game Version Installed: most current
    Description of the Issue: Unresponsive controls in all modes of game play. Buttons will sometimes work then stop. Computer fights on against defenseless character.

Trying to pause to regain control of the character is useless, as that is unresponsive too. The end result is inevitably an app crash.

This has gone on for weeks and rendered the game unplayable. Impossible to do AQ or AW as six crashes effectively wipe out your team.
  • In-Game Name: - Anorak -

Device and Model: iPhone 6

Device Operating System: ios 12.3

Game Mode: AW, AQ, Arena, opening crystals

Description of the Issue: Dropped frames and lag in fights. While in the crystal opening screen, it's fully unresponsive for a number of seconds before you can do anything. Auto dashing after S3. eventually the game closes suddenly.
  • Drillh3adDrillh3ad Posts: 36
    edited May 2019
    Has something been pushed thru recently? My iPhone X now heats up to the point I can’t get to the 3rd stage of Thanos uncollected fight before it crashes the game. I’ve noticed some excessive heating in variant as well. iPhone X running IOS 12.2
  • Snail_McGavinSnail_McGavin Posts: 105
    Same issue using iPhone 8
  • Starbuster234Starbuster234 Posts: 65
    In game name: Darth Nihiluss

Device and model: iphone 7

Operating system ios 12.2

Cellular or Wifi: Both

Game version installed: 23.0.1

Game mode: everything(cant open the game)

Description of the issue: Stuck on the loading screen when I open the game. Cant even enter the game.
This discussion has been closed.