**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Kabam charging sales tax in non taxable states

Urkel2Urkel2 Posts: 371 ★★
I live in illinois where it is not legal to tax digital purchases and yet kabam deals are still charging me said tax.. I know this is a kabam issue because other games i purchased in are not charging me taxes.. Law also states that it is the developers job to charge tax and not google.. Both the search engine google and google play have told me this as well.. Anyone else experiencing this problem??

Comments

• winterthurwinterthur Posts: 7,734 ★★★★★
    Really?

It is stated your state is subject to tax.
    Link here.
  • Urkel2Urkel2 Posts: 371 ★★

Really?

Link here.

• Urkel2Urkel2 Posts: 371 ★★
    Urkel2 said:

Really?

Link here.

According to the states laws if they are taxing it it isnt legally..at least not yet
  • winterthurwinterthur Posts: 7,734 ★★★★★
    If you think you are tax-exempt, contact here for playstore purchase.
  • TwmRTwmR Posts: 662 ★★★
    This isn't a book, movie or music
  • SummonerNRSummonerNR Posts: 10,605 Guardian
    edited May 2019
    For Illinois, the US Map picture (from TaxJar website) is at odds with Kabam's KB article listing which states they collect tax for (so maybe that state has recently changed ??)
    http://kabam.force.com/PKB/articles/en_US/FAQ/US-State-Sales-Tax-In-Game?retURL=/PKB/apex/kbsearch?sfdcIFrameOrigin=null&popup=false&issue=Payment_Issues&game=a0Za0000013VnVqEAK&searchstring=&language=en_US&articletitle=US State Sales Tax In-Game

The second link to Google Support that Winterthur provided (although that may be where you could inquire to Google about your Tax on “Digital Goods”) is actually listing the states that google charges tax on “Physical Goods” on products that are shipped (which covers a lot more states than just where “Digital Goods” are taxed).
  • NOOOOOOOOPEEEEENOOOOOOOOPEEEEE Posts: 2,803 ★★★★★
    Also it's the store charging the tax not Kabam
  • SummonerNRSummonerNR Posts: 10,605 Guardian
    Besides Illinois, the TaxJar Map and Kabam KB article also disagree regarding Hawaii, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Michigan, South Carolina, West Virginia, Maryland, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts as far as TaxJar saying those states do not tax. Maybe certain Cities individually have a tax, and not the State as a whole, thus Kabam lists them (keep in mind, it is either your Google/Apple that actually charges and collects the tax, based on your location, city, state, etc).

While (from the count), it looks like there are around another 6 states where the discrepancy is in the other direction (TaxJar saying they should be taxed, and Kabam KB article saying they aren't). Wouldn’t doubt one list or another is out of date as Tax Laws change fast regarding internet, and more internet companies (Google, Apple, or other online retailers) actually start collecting the tax that may not have been in the past.
  • Fugitive21Fugitive21 Posts: 221
    If you call Springfield or the Dept of consumer affairs. Illinois is a taxable state for internet goods. I live in Illinois also and yes all internet purchases are taxed.

I contract to several companies that have Apple apps selling add-ons for apps and all are taxed in Illinois.
  • cx23433cx23433 Posts: 465 ★★

Did you even try to comprehend your own screenshot?

did you
  • I'm originally from IL, I'm sorry you have to be there...
  • You need to contact the Google Playstore or Apple App Store about these matters. I'm shutting this down as it doesn't pertain directly to the game.
This discussion has been closed.