**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Timeframe for Memory Leak Fix

Comments

• CrusaderjrCrusaderjr Posts: 1,059 ★★★★
    i use both iphone and samsung and they both have different bugs when playing mcoc.
    iphone seems to have the worst bugs that literally ruin aw, aq, and cause more deaths overall in my experience.
    with samsung there is a pause in ever fight but it doesnt happen more than once per fight. not sure if thats good or bad lol
  • LordSmasherLordSmasher Posts: 1,358 ★★★★★
    I play on an iPad and the problem I was getting was a consistent crash after about 30 minutes.
    It got to the point where I always restarted the game before AW fights.

That problem has gone.
  • TheBair123TheBair123 Posts: 5,344 ★★★★★
    I'm on the X and luckily I haven't had too many major issues. The only thing I've noticed is that when I turn my phone off and turn it back on and click resume fight, I have to hold block about a half a second early to be able to parry and there is insane lag. I feel bad for all the people who experience this regularly.
  • RenaxqqRenaxqq Posts: 1,595 ★★★★
    edited December 2021
    Updated the game but nothing changed so I tried something new. I logged out from my accounts (Google play/Kabam) and logged back in with only Kabam id and somehow game feels smoother and I can play pretty long time without memory leak issues. Weird...
  • MagicBentonMagicBenton Posts: 280 ★★★

I play on an iPad and the problem I was getting was a consistent crash after about 30 minutes.
    It got to the point where I always restarted the game before AW fights.

That problem has gone.

This is exactly my issue, but it has not gone away or even improved since it began many months ago. Each update I hope it's at least a little better, but it's not. I have to restart every 20-30 mins or so and before I do any AW or AQ fights. I can usually tell when the crash is going to happen because the game starts to get laggy. I restart and it's fine for another 20-30 mins. Playing on a 2 year old iPad.
    edited December 2021
    I said that logging in with only Kabam ID decreased memory leak issue but nope, today played arenas and again after 30 min of gameplay menus are laggy. I think fix will come when Kabam gonna create their own game engine.
  • zuffyzuffy Posts: 2,131 ★★★★★
    My iPhone 8 is still experiencing the memory leak issue. Game get slower as I do more fights. If I don’t restart the game, it will crash. Like this morning, I used up my energy in eq and too lazy to restart for aq even though I noticed the slowness. Guess what, the game **** out in my 3rd fight in AQ.
  • BerjibsBerjibs Posts: 1,523 ★★★★

DrZola said:

If we are taking about the same thing—stuttering, frame drop—then it isn’t just an android issue. I experience it on iOS and have for most of the past few months. When I play for more than 15-20 minutes consecutively, it is pretty reliable.

Either that or I am involuntarily shaking and having brief episodes of syncope while I play.

Dr. Zola

Again, I will ask the disagrees above—provide commentary. Spamming a reaction resolves nothing. Is it resolved for you on Android, iOS, etc.

What device do you use? I have a 12 and an 8, neither of those have issues
    Wth, I play on 12 and 8 and both have terrible issues 🤷🏽‍♂️
  • danielmathdanielmath Posts: 4,043 ★★★★★
    Berjibs said:

DrZola said:

If we are taking about the same thing—stuttering, frame drop—then it isn’t just an android issue. I experience it on iOS and have for most of the past few months. When I play for more than 15-20 minutes consecutively, it is pretty reliable.

Either that or I am involuntarily shaking and having brief episodes of syncope while I play.

Dr. Zola

Again, I will ask the disagrees above—provide commentary. Spamming a reaction resolves nothing. Is it resolved for you on Android, iOS, etc.

What device do you use? I have a 12 and an 8, neither of those have issues
    Wth, I play on 12 and 8 and both have terrible issues 🤷🏽‍♂️
    wouldn't that mean it HAS to be an issue with your connection? what other explanation is possible?
  • DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,542 ★★★★★

Renaxqq said:

I said that logging in with only Kabam ID decreased memory leak issue but nope, today played arenas and again after 30 min of gameplay menus are laggy. I think fix will come when Kabam gonna create their own game engine.

I... don't know where you heard that. We're not building our own game engine. We're refactoring our input system, which may be what's being confused for a new game engine.

When you have these kinds of issues, can you please be sure to report them to our Support team? We're doing our best to fix these issues but can't do it if we don't know about it. While some bugs might look the same on the outside (eg. Laggy menus or a stutter), the underlying cause is not always the same.
    Thanks for commenting on this thread. It’s an ongoing issue for me and a perplexing one. I wish I knew what to do to resolve it—some of what @DNA3000 suggested helped a little, but I’ve run into it again today and yesterday.

I’m happy to share my experience in a Bugs thread if there’s one that’s appropriate.

Dr. Zola
    edited December 2021

Renaxqq said:

I... don't know where you heard that. We're not building our own game engine. We're refactoring our input system, which may be what's being confused for a new game engine.

When you have these kinds of issues, can you please be sure to report them to our Support team? We're doing our best to fix these issues but can't do it if we don't know about it. While some bugs might look the same on the outside (eg. Laggy menus or a stutter), the underlying cause is not always the same.
    Thanks for comment! I already reported about these issues in Bugs thread.
    P.S. most likely I heard about Kabam game engine in forums/YouTube.
    @DNA3000 maybe force closing some apps will improve something? Reduce this memory leak?
  • DaddriedaDaddrieda Posts: 1,567 ★★★★
    Playing iPad mini4 on airplane mode and notification off improved the game time from 30 minutes to 1,5hour. Dunno why, but it’s still not reliable as it still crash, but an improvement from my part nonetheless.
  • Renaxqq said:

@DNA3000 maybe force closing some apps will improve something? Reduce this memory leak?

It can to some degree, but only up to a point. It will not reduce the actual memory leak, but it will make more memory available. The problem is that memory leaks will eventually fill up any memory you release, In testing I found that a cleanly rebooted phone lasted longer before crashing than one that had been running for a while. But like on the order of 5-10% longer. What helped more was avoiding doing things that required a lot of resources.

This is not the sort of advice you can just give to anyone, but let's say you're grinding the arena. The way I grind arena is generally to use my champs from top to bottom. I don't scroll around or skip around forming teams, and my sort order allows me to go from top to bottom. But what if you don't do that, and you scroll around a lot? You'll probably crash faster, because all that scrolling around requires the game client to swap into active memory the profile pictures of all the champs you're seeing. In testing I was able to get the client to crash *faster* by doing just that.

That's also why I suggested disabling notifications: every time the phone gets a push notification it has to "wake up" the app it is for, and swap some stuff into active memory to process that notification before going back to sleep. All of that use-memory free-memory use-memory free-memory probably contributes to memory fragmentation, which aggravates the MCOC memory leak. It can also be the straw that breaks the camel's back, if you're trying to process notifications while memory available spirals lower and lower.
    https://youtu.be/tNKyvoLjQns

Just an example that this memory leak need The highest priority. This kind of lagging really underperformance me in war and in other places.
    Daddrieda said:

Just an example that this memory leak need The highest priority. This kind of lagging really underperformance me in war and in other places.

@Kabam Miike this is exactly how I'm experiencing this issue! Can you please report team about this issue? And thanks @Daddrieda for video!
  • DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,542 ★★★★★
    Daddrieda said:

Holy cow! Tell me that’s just the video recording doing that. If not, I have no idea how you play the game.

The pause at the 52 second mark I experienced today. Fight just stopped, dead frozen, for a couple of seconds.

But my lags aren’t nearly as pervasive as yours.

Dr. Zola
    Renaxqq said:

Daddrieda said:

@Kabam Miike this is exactly how I'm experiencing this issue! Can you please report team about this issue? And thanks @Daddrieda for video!

You’re welcome.
  • awesomesauceawesomesauce Posts: 774 ★★★
    I've noticed this issue more frequently on my 2019 iOS Apple iPad Mini more than my Android Google Pixel 4 XL.

However, in all fairness I tend to prefer to play on the iPad more often than the phone. (Bigger screen, faster loading times, etc)

Generally it occurs when I have been playing for more than 30 minutes, and especially worse if I switch between game modes (EQ, AQ, AW, arena, etc)

A rule of thumb I have been doing so I would stop losing attack bonuses, and half health in AQ is force close everything, reboot iPad, then go in fresh and immediately go into war or AQ to attack to ensure the game doesnt randomly close on me.
  • Daddrieda said:

If what I'm seeing in the recording is exactly what you're experiencing in the game, that doesn't look to me like a pure game client issue. The only time I saw that kind of behavior was when we were having those horrible overheating issues when the game client itself might have been at fault, but the issue wasn't that the game client itself was doing things badly, the game client was overheating the phone to the point that the phone's thermal throttle protections were being engaged to prevent meltdown, which caused the entire phone to slow down in bursts.

Is your phone running very hot when you're playing? Have you tried playing without a case (which can sometimes exacerbate heating)? Does the game seem to run fine initially, then get progressively worse even after rebooting (rebooting doesn't cool the phone down on its own much, so while reboots generally fix most game client problems temporarily they do nothing for overheating issues).
    edited December 2021
    @DNA3000 Phone isn't overheating for me(barely warm). After restarting game it's running smooth as butter. Well, I don't have issues with gameplay but only with slow/laggy menus. As someone said before game becomes slower after every single fight. Loading times increases and menus animations lags a lot. I can play Marvel Future Revolution till battery runs out without any problems.
  • Renaxqq said:

@DNA3000 Phone isn't overheating for me(barely warm). After restarting game it's running smooth as butter. Well, I don't have issues with gameplay but only with slow/laggy menus. As someone said before game becomes slower after every single fight. Loading times increases and menus animations lags a lot. I can play Marvel Future Revolution till battery runs out without any problems.

Slow or laggy menus might be resource swapping. What I saw in the video went way beyond that though, which is why I wondered if thermal throttling might be a culprit.
    DNA3000 said:

Daddrieda said:

If what I'm seeing in the recording is exactly what you're experiencing in the game, that doesn't look to me like a pure game client issue. The only time I saw that kind of behavior was when we were having those horrible overheating issues when the game client itself might have been at fault, but the issue wasn't that the game client itself was doing things badly, the game client was overheating the phone to the point that the phone's thermal throttle protections were being engaged to prevent meltdown, which caused the entire phone to slow down in bursts.

Is your phone running very hot when you're playing? Have you tried playing without a case (which can sometimes exacerbate heating)? Does the game seem to run fine initially, then get progressively worse even after rebooting (rebooting doesn't cool the phone down on its own much, so while reboots generally fix most game client problems temporarily they do nothing for overheating issues).
    It wasn’t even warm since this war fight happened after I came home from gym and the phone don’t have any cellular signal built in it, but only WiFi signal so it stayed home during my training pass so the phone was cold.