**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

THE “RNG” IN BATTLE GROUNDS IS UNBEARABLE

Smeagz23Smeagz23 Posts: 98 ★★
edited January 2023 in General Discussion
Slowly but surely i’m starting to hate this game mode and although i think this victory track meta would have been better served in gladiator circuit that isn’t why i’m starting to hate this game mode. Over and over again i get the feeling that this game mode isn’t as much about skill as it is rng. The matches i loose usually aren’t decided in the final round in a nail biter they are already obvious after the draft. It’s not who plays better it’s who gets the better champs and counters when. So many times they draft a defender in the first round and after all 4 drafting rounds i don’t get ONE of my 5+ counters i have to that champ. How is that even possible? Even if i reroll it’s like i’m only seeing 20/30 of my champs in that match no matter how many rerolls i do. I’m not exaggerating when i say that i NEVER can get my Hulking or Galan, NEVER. Granted they are banned half the time but since i started counting i am at 23 bg matches where they were not banned that i haven’t gotten them IN A ROW. I was starting to think they weren’t in my deck. Not to mention i virtually never get torch, ghost, kitty or aa. This has to be more than just bad rng. No ones rng is that bad. You guys must have some algorithm inserted that blocks r4 champs or the op champs or the champs you need to slow your climb in victory track. This season has BY FAR been my slowest climb in victory track. By this point last season i had like a 200 rating in gladiator circuit but as it stands i can’t even make it out of plat 3. I could see this biting me in the butt sometimes but you need to change bgs so that you only see the same champ once per draft. Yes, you might end up needing that champ later down the line but at least you would get access to almost all of your roster at least once per match so it would be a whole lot lore strategy and way less rng. I’m not exaggerating when i say i get the same champs over and over and over. I’ll see the same champ or two 2 or 3 different times in one draft which is just ridiculous. I really wish you would consider this change.

Comments

• Options
    Ironman3000Ironman3000 Posts: 1,919 ★★★★★
    This meta is the most heavily RNG dependent yet. Super annoying.
  • Options
    DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 21,024 ★★★★★

Just in case you didn't know, banning a champion on your opponent's deck also bans them on yours so that may be a reason as to why you haven't seen Hulkling or Galan.

This is 100% false.
    I'm being told this is an actual thing. Which i've either never noticed or just plain didn't know. So i am looking into it more so i apologize for misinformation.
    You just thought it was a coincidence that you've never once gotten to draft a champ you banned for 3 full seasons and a year of betas 😂? Sorry but that's pretty funny to me
    It's funny to me as well. I honestly never thought twice about it as I was just trying to figure out my lineup. It's crazy something so obvious right in front of me and just never crossed my mind as what was happening.
  • Options

Just in case you didn't know, banning a champion on your opponent's deck also bans them on yours so that may be a reason as to why you haven't seen Hulkling or Galan.

This is 100% false.
    I'm being told this is an actual thing. Which i've either never noticed or just plain didn't know. So i am looking into it more so i apologize for misinformation.
    You just thought it was a coincidence that you've never once gotten to draft a champ you banned for 3 full seasons and a year of betas 😂? Sorry but that's pretty funny to me
    It's funny to me as well. I honestly never thought twice about it as I was just trying to figure out my lineup. It's crazy something so obvious right in front of me and just never crossed my mind as what was happening.
    Haha dude had me second guessing myself for a moment
  • Options
    Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,185 ★★★★★

This is 100% false.
    No worries, I played this game for 18 months before I realized that the sp3 progress bar was a mini-game and that I could click to get extra or reduced damage.
  • Options
    Smeagz23Smeagz23 Posts: 98 ★★
    Kabam Jax said:

Hey Gang,

Wanted to clear up some misinformation in this thread.

Firstly, there is no 'algorithm inserted that blocks r4 champs or the op champs or the champs you need.' This would be wildly unethical. RNG is simply that, random.

Thank you to those of you that pointed out that banning a champ is a global ban, as it may contribute to the problem OP is facing.

And hey, kudos to everyone for a civil conversation involving disagreeing and making mistakes. I'm proud of you.

Yah i’m an idiot for not knowing about the global ban of champs, although it does seem counterintuitive, but i would really like to see some changes to lower the rng aspect of bgs. I suggested only seeing every champion once but i think a better alternative is increasing the amount of champions you get to pick from each draft round. Maybe up it to 5 in the first and last round and 7-8 the middle rounds. This would lower rng while still having it there. There is just way to much rng right now and it doesn’t feel good when you get beat by players and rosters that are worse than your just because you’re unlucky. Another aspect of bgs that is too much rng is who picks and places first. If you have to pick first or place first you are at a severe disadvantage and i’ve lost many of times because i had to place first on round 3 and we both had 1 counter to each defender and literally who ever placed first was going to loose. You guys should change it so whoever has to pick first in the draft gets to place last in round 1 and 3. You still are at a bigger disadvantage having to place first in round 1 and 3 but at least if you get last pick in the draft it can help you draft one last attacker that’s a counter or one last defender they don’t have a counter to.
  • Options
    The RNG Coin-Flip of who gets to pick their Defense/Offense champ 1st vs 2nd should really be changed so that BOTH Defense picks are made AT THE SAME TIME. (Rather that alternating).

Then, both Defenders would get shown, and then both Attackers get selected AT SAME TIME.

That way there is no going 1st or 2nd for the 3 fights.

——
    Also, I like the idea that during the 7-champ selection, once a champ is an option once (in either the 3-man pop up or the 5-man popup) then that champ (if not actually selected) would NOT pop-up again.
    There are 18 champs that pop-up in total, well below what your Deck size is, so having champs be able to pop-up more than once definitely leads to more of your deck never showing up at all.

So team selection should be among 18 UNIQUE champs, not say 14 unique and 4 others that showed up twice.
  • Options
    Qwerty12345Qwerty12345 Posts: 766 ★★★
    To combat RNG, I would propose a "tweaked" version of battlegrounds based on the rules people used for "Sabotage"...

Reduce the deck size to 20. No bans. Instead your opponent goes through your list of 20 champs and selects the 20 champs for you.

In today's VT meta, obviously they wouldn't give you Galan... and there would be strategy... do you give your opponent so-so 2way champs, all attackers, all defenders... how do you "mess with your opponent".
  • Options
    MackeyMackey Posts: 1,549 ★★★★★
    The RNG factor is an absolute killer. The only thing fair about it is that we are all subject to the same RNG, that's it. Beyond that, it is unfair when the RNG plays to your opponent but screws you over. I just can't wrap my head round why they put in the RNG in the first place? Yeah the game is basically built around RNG but you get no RNG in AW or AQ which is arguably competitive too, so why have it in BGs 🤦‍♂️
  • Options
    DustblitzDustblitz Posts: 5
    I know the ban rules and still think this meta is absolutely terrible for the game. Zero fun exists in BG. Most of my wins are sucking slightly less than my opponent
  • Options
    FrostGiantLordFrostGiantLord Posts: 1,598 ★★★★
    @Smeagz23 , I feel for you. I am just an UC, but literally in EVERY SINGLE FIGHT, I always end up getting a 4* in my deck. I have 4 6* r2s, 6 5* max outs, and over 10 6* r1s, yet every time I always manage to pull 2 champs below 5k rating. WHY?! WHY, KABAM, WHY?!
  • Options
    KyrieRedKyrieRed Posts: 287 ★★
    Wait OP was banning Galan, Hulkling, and Kitty on the opponent and was wondering why he couldn’t draft them for himself, hehe. That’s too funny. Play to your strengths and don’t stress about the game, be patient and the RNG gods shall reward you!
  • Options
    Yodabolt21Yodabolt21 Posts: 2,534 ★★★★★

The RNG Coin-Flip of who gets to pick their Defense/Offense champ 1st vs 2nd should really be changed so that BOTH Defense picks are made AT THE SAME TIME. (Rather that alternating).

Then, both Defenders would get shown, and then both Attackers get selected AT SAME TIME.

That way there is no going 1st or 2nd for the 3 fights.

——
    Also, I like the idea that during the 7-champ selection, once a champ is an option once (in either the 3-man pop up or the 5-man popup) then that champ (if not actually selected) would NOT pop-up again.
    There are 18 champs that pop-up in total, well below what your Deck size is, so having champs be able to pop-up more than once definitely leads to more of your deck never showing up at all.

So team selection should be among 18 UNIQUE champs, not say 14 unique and 4 others that showed up twice.

A fix for this would be to have the champ blocked until the timer reaches zero for the first pick in each round. In other words, both defenders would be selected at the same time. This will fix the issue of the person who picks a defender first is at a disadvantage, albeit a small one.
  • Options
    Gildarts99Gildarts99 Posts: 338 ★★
    Smeagz23 said:

Slowly but surely i’m starting to hate this game mode and although i think this victory track meta would have been better served in gladiator circuit that isn’t why i’m starting to hate this game mode. Over and over again i get the feeling that this game mode isn’t as much about skill as it is rng. The matches i loose usually aren’t decided in the final round in a nail biter they are already obvious after the draft. It’s not who plays better it’s who gets the better champs and counters when. So many times they draft a defender in the first round and after all 4 drafting rounds i don’t get ONE of my 5+ counters i have to that champ. How is that even possible? Even if i reroll it’s like i’m only seeing 20/30 of my champs in that match no matter how many rerolls i do. I’m not exaggerating when i say that i NEVER can get my Hulking or Galan, NEVER. Granted they are banned half the time but since i started counting i am at 23 bg matches where they were not banned that i haven’t gotten them IN A ROW. I was starting to think they weren’t in my deck. Not to mention i virtually never get torch, ghost, kitty or aa. This has to be more than just bad rng. No ones rng is that bad. You guys must have some algorithm inserted that blocks r4 champs or the op champs or the champs you need to slow your climb in victory track. This season has BY FAR been my slowest climb in victory track. By this point last season i had like a 200 rating in gladiator circuit but as it stands i can’t even make it out of plat 3. I could see this biting me in the butt sometimes but you need to change bgs so that you only see the same champ once per draft. Yes, you might end up needing that champ later down the line but at least you would get access to almost all of your roster at least once per match so it would be a whole lot lore strategy and way less rng. I’m not exaggerating when i say i get the same champs over and over and over. I’ll see the same champ or two 2 or 3 different times in one draft which is just ridiculous. I really wish you would consider this change.

wait. you are mad because of RNG? dude I just defeated my opponent's champ with a little below 50% health bar, came out, saw my opponent was unable to defeat my defender with a victory tag at his corner. I'm just letting this round of battlegrounds slide. it's annoying and taking the fun out of the game. frankly