**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Gladiator Hulk Face Me mechanics not working

2»

Comments

• nOuxnOux Posts: 522 ★★★
    Lormif said:

nOux said:

Lormif said:

nOux said:

“They make changes everyday” i guess thats why there are bugs that are persistent for 2-6months.

what does one have to do with another? You can make changes every day and still have bugs that persist for 2-6 months or even the life of the product. Look at meltdown, that was a bug that existed in processors for decades despite regular updates to the product. The 2 things are not mutually exclusive.
    I think you should think before comparing things. The difference is that one issue is known for a while now how as I understand and another one it existed but no one was aware of it, but when intel became aware of that issue was fixed straight away.
    Maybe you should take your own advice and think before you post. Your statement was, and ill quote:
    nOux said:

“They make changes everyday” i guess thats why there are bugs that are persistent for 2-6months.

No where in this statement does it say the bugs are known. Bugs are bugs, known or not known. Bugs can even be accidentally fixed without even known the bug existed, see the NC switch change. Even still meltdown still meets your arbitrarily changed statement, because it discovered about 2 years ago, has not been fixed, and will not be fixed until a new architecture comes out due to how hard it is to fix. Right now OS vendors are mitigating the issue, not fixing it.

Another bug that was KNOWN and persisted for more than a decade was a bug in apache (the most well known and most used webserver in the world) where it could not serve cached and compressed objected and instead served up ascii script..

so again, how often you make changes has no impact on how long a particular bug exists. Some bugs are very complex and requires complete refactoring of your code at some level, or even the entire program.
    You are speaking of something that u have no clue what are u talking about. First fix for melddown came same second that security issue was found through OS, up untill full fix few days later came out as BIOS firmware update to all motherboards that supports intel sockets and fixed issue completely with implementation of firmware security in cost of processing power.
    Lormif said:

nOux said:

This could be avoided if you searched it before asking.
    Anyway, they are aware of it and are planning to change the visual in order to be easier to know the difference. Thing is, they want to generalize it, since this isn't happening with only one or two nodes. So it will take a while to get everything and change it in a way it works for everyone of them

Its not that they need to change game mechanics to fix it. Its just simple icon change and if they wanted it can be done in less then an hour. Kabam can send me their source code i can find the code line and change it my self without any problems. But for them to wait this long and say that it can take a while its silly. And its not like its a lot of nodes that behave this way, its only bane and degen.
    How do you know how simple it is? And from your description you would be the last person I would want to fix any piece of software, after all just changing one line of code can have devastating cascading effects on a piece of software that is not known to a developer without a deep dive into the code. Shoot that is why most of the time you would not even change the code you would have an object like this called in the db and you would just change that, even that though could be problematic. you dont seem to have a clue about software development.
    When u have no experience or any knowledge how programming works i can clearly see that you think that changing picture would have “devastating” effects on code. No one is saying that u have to change how degen or hulk’s face me should work. Thats the simple example of person who does not anything about subject tries to give his 2cents.
  • LormifLormif Posts: 7,369 ★★★★★
    nOux said:

Lormif said:

nOux said:

Lormif said:

nOux said:

what does one have to do with another? You can make changes every day and still have bugs that persist for 2-6 months or even the life of the product. Look at meltdown, that was a bug that existed in processors for decades despite regular updates to the product. The 2 things are not mutually exclusive.
    I think you should think before comparing things. The difference is that one issue is known for a while now how as I understand and another one it existed but no one was aware of it, but when intel became aware of that issue was fixed straight away.
    Maybe you should take your own advice and think before you post. Your statement was, and ill quote:
    nOux said:

No where in this statement does it say the bugs are known. Bugs are bugs, known or not known. Bugs can even be accidentally fixed without even known the bug existed, see the NC switch change. Even still meltdown still meets your arbitrarily changed statement, because it discovered about 2 years ago, has not been fixed, and will not be fixed until a new architecture comes out due to how hard it is to fix. Right now OS vendors are mitigating the issue, not fixing it.

Another bug that was KNOWN and persisted for more than a decade was a bug in apache (the most well known and most used webserver in the world) where it could not serve cached and compressed objected and instead served up ascii script..

so again, how often you make changes has no impact on how long a particular bug exists. Some bugs are very complex and requires complete refactoring of your code at some level, or even the entire program.
    You are speaking of something that u have no clue what are u talking about. First fix for melddown came same second that security issue was found through OS, up untill full fix few days later came out as BIOS firmware update to all motherboards that supports intel sockets and fixed issue completely with implementation of firmware security in cost of processing power.
    Lol, the meldown flaws are in the processor. The "fixes" in the OS are not fixes, the are mitigation to bypasss the bugged code. to fix it they have to redesign the processor and its code...Again, it has not been fixed, it has been mitigated, the bug still exists. Even the bios updates did not actually fix the problem and due to other bugs with the bios updates even intel recommend not flashing to those versions.

The latest advisories were:

Firmware updates
    OS and browser updates only partially mitigate Meltdown and Spectre. Organizations need to be prepared for UEFI firmware and BIOS updates, as well. When and whether updates will be pushed out will vary from vendor to vendor, adding another layer of complexity and uncertainty to patching. In some cases, admins may have to proactively check for updates from their PC makers periodically over the next few days or weeks.

nOux said:

Lormif said:

nOux said:

This could be avoided if you searched it before asking.
    Anyway, they are aware of it and are planning to change the visual in order to be easier to know the difference. Thing is, they want to generalize it, since this isn't happening with only one or two nodes. So it will take a while to get everything and change it in a way it works for everyone of them

Its not that they need to change game mechanics to fix it. Its just simple icon change and if they wanted it can be done in less then an hour. Kabam can send me their source code i can find the code line and change it my self without any problems. But for them to wait this long and say that it can take a while its silly. And its not like its a lot of nodes that behave this way, its only bane and degen.
    How do you know how simple it is? And from your description you would be the last person I would want to fix any piece of software, after all just changing one line of code can have devastating cascading effects on a piece of software that is not known to a developer without a deep dive into the code. Shoot that is why most of the time you would not even change the code you would have an object like this called in the db and you would just change that, even that though could be problematic. you dont seem to have a clue about software development.
    When u have no experience or any knowledge how programming works i can clearly see that you think that changing picture would have “devastating” effects on code. No one is saying that u have to change how degen or hulk’s face me should work. Thats the simple example of person who does not anything about subject tries to give his 2cents.
    When you have only a high school knowledge of programming I can clearly see that you thinking changing a picture can have no effects on the rest of the code, but that is not the case. Messing with any method can have, as I stated before, a cascading effect on the rest of the code. Maybe there is a method that calls the metadata from the image for example, well the metadata on that image has changed, so that method can now produce unknown results.

this is not a hello world script, or a classroom project where you have at most a couple hundred lines of code.

For a perfect example look at the rhino unstoppable fix that broke unstoppable for every character.
    At this point I actually questioning if im debating a sane person. Did u read what i said before doing copy/paste of an old prefix article?
    “For a perfect example look at the rhino unstoppable fix that broke unstoppable for every character.“ u know there is difference between changing code on how mechanics work and changing icon of node? At this point im having a hard time believing that u have learned anything in school about coding.
    nOux said:

At this point I actually questioning if im debating a sane person. Did u read what i said before doing copy/paste of an old prefix article?

I do this for a living. I read what you stated. Intel only mitigated, not fixed the issue. at this point I am questioning your rationality.

here is a good article from over a year after the discovery:

https://www.csoonline.com/article/3397090/how-to-update-your-spectre-meltdown-mitigations-for-the-retpoline-mitigation.html

you will note that it does not lit fixes, it lists mitigations:

Intel came up with a new methodology called “Retpoline.” The mitigation technique “is resistant to exploitation and has attractive performance properties compared to other mitigations.”

nOux said:

“For a perfect example look at the rhino unstoppable fix that broke unstoppable for every character.“ u know there is difference between changing code on how mechanics work and changing icon of node? At this point im having a hard time believing that u have learned anything in school about coding.

You know there is not right? Go change an image in a durpal web server improperly and watch the entire page come crashing down until you fix the problem. Changing code is still changing code, and unless you know the repercussions of changing the code you have no idea what will happen. At a basic level you may expect the site to just go to another image, but reality does not always work that way, and assuming it does will more often than not lead to you failing majorly.
    Lormif said:

nOux said:

You know there is not right? Go change an image in a durpal web server improperly and watch the entire page come crashing down until you fix the problem. Changing code is still changing code, and unless you know the repercussions of changing the code you have no idea what will happen. At a basic level you may expect the site to just go to another image, but reality does not always work that way, and assuming it does will more often than not lead to you failing majorly.
    Changing anything improperly will have negative results in the end. Whats your point here? Are you trying to say that kabam devs cant do proper change or what?
    nOux said:

Lormif said:

nOux said:

Changing anything improperly will have negative results in the end. Whats your point here? Are you trying to say that kabam devs cant do proper change or what?
    because changing it "improperly" is just changing the image s you suggested doing, and if you were managing that server you would have broken it. Also that doing it the right way will often times require many more code refactors then you keep suggesting.
    Lormif said:

nOux said:

I do this for a living. I read what you stated. Intel only mitigated, not fixed the issue. at this point I am questioning your rationality.

https://www.csoonline.com/article/3397090/how-to-update-your-spectre-meltdown-mitigations-for-the-retpoline-mitigation.html

Intel came up with a new methodology called “Retpoline.” The mitigation technique “is resistant to exploitation and has attractive performance properties compared to other mitigations.”

Probably you should learn what that word “mitigation” means.

nOux said:

Lormif said:

nOux said:

I do, do you?:
    the act of mitigating, or lessening the force or intensity of something unpleasant, as wrath, pain, grief, or extreme circumstances:
    Social support is the most important factor in the mitigation of stress among adolescents.
    the act of making a condition or consequence less severe:
    the mitigation of a punishment.
    the process of becoming milder, gentler, or less severe.
    a mitigating circumstance, event, or consequence.

It does not fix it, it makes the issue less important.
    Lormif said:

nOux said:

Lormif said:

nOux said:

because changing it "improperly" is just changing the image s you suggested doing, and if you were managing that server you would have broken it. Also that doing it the right way will often times require many more code refactors then you keep suggesting.
    Again fo u know what this word means in it self improperly? Changing picture properly it will not cause any issues in code or anywhere else. Now you are trying to say something that it would not work if u will not do it properly, well no way captain obvious.
    Lormif said:

nOux said:

Lormif said:

nOux said:

I do, do you?:
    the act of mitigating, or lessening the force or intensity of something unpleasant, as wrath, pain, grief, or extreme circumstances:
    Social support is the most important factor in the mitigation of stress among adolescents.

When you say you do this for a living you mean that you are going on google and copy/paste fist thing that comes up?

Mitigation means it will restrict access to certain points of access with less processing power
    nOux said:

Lormif said:

nOux said:

Lormif said:

nOux said:

Again fo u know what this word means in it self improperly? Changing picture properly it will not cause any issues in code or anywhere else. Now you are trying to say something that it would not work if u will not do it properly, well no way captain obvious.
    The problem is you are assuming that just going and changing one line is changing it properly, an assumption you have no way to know if is correct or not. What I am saying IS obvious, but the implications of what I am saying does not seem to be obvious TO YOU in regards to what we are talking about..
    edited October 2019
    When you say you do this for loving, you mean going on google and copy/paste first thing u get?
    mitigation in this case means it will restrict access to certain points of access with less usage of processing power.
    nOux said:

Lormif said:

nOux said:

Lormif said:

nOux said:

I do, do you?:

When you say you do this for a living you mean that you are going on google and copy/paste fist thing that comes up?

Mitigation means it will restrict access to certain points of access with less processing power
    I say I have been a systems programmer for going on 2 decades.

You said

Note, you did not say FIX, the bug still exists you are just working around it where you can... Exactly what I stated....
    Oh my... it is FIXED, u cant access information anymore through back door. Mitigation is less cpu usage in stoping attacks. New mitigation patches coming out to increase performance not to stop attacks Mr.2 decades working on system programming
    nOux said:

Oh my... it is FIXED, u cant access information anymore through back door. Mitigation is less cpu usage in stoping attacks. New mitigation patches coming out to increase performance not to stop attacks Mr.2 decades working on system programming

Lol YOU CAN. Mitigate just means to lessen, it is a bandaide that is a workaround for how known exploits work, as more exploints come out there will be more bandaids, because the underlying bug is not fixed.. This is some basic stuff you dont seem to understand..

If you mitigate the pain of a wound the wound is still there, the pain is just lessened.
    As vericode puts it:

Note: You should not consider mitigations as long-term fixes for application security flaws. Environmental changes or new attack techniques can render ineffective many mitigating factors, including network and operating system mitigations. Veracode recommends that you use mitigations as part of a long-term plan to remediate the flaws in the code.
    Lormif said:

nOux said:

Lol YOU CAN. Mitigate just means to lessen, it is a bandaide that is a workaround for how known exploits work, as more exploints come out there will be more bandaids, because the underlying bug is not fixed.. This is some basic stuff you dont seem to understand..

If you mitigate the pain of a wound the wound is still there, the pain is just lessened.
    You are using words incorrectly here. First fix was dedicating about 20% of cpu processing power to fix this issue. Now each new patch/firmware comes out it works more efficient and mitigates less cpu usage to stop attacks.
    nOux said:

Lormif said:

nOux said:

You are using words incorrectly here. First fix was dedicating about 20% of cpu processing power to fix this issue. Now each new patch/firmware comes out it works more efficient and mitigates less cpu usage to stop attacks.
    The first MITIGATION, it was never fixed, it was mitigated, you are the one using the words incorrectly. The underlying flaw STILL EXISTS, it was mitigated, NOT FIXED, again: mitigation does not mean fixed. the first mitigation was causing the cpu overhead, and each new mitigation is more efficient, but the flaw will always be there.

Again

Note: You should not consider mitigations as long-term fixes for application security flaws. Environmental changes or new attack techniques can render ineffective many mitigating factors, including network and operating system mitigations. Veracode recommends that you use mitigations as part of a long-term plan to remediate the flaws in the code.

Lormif said:

nOux said:

Lormif said:

nOux said:

The first MITIGATION, it was never fixed, it was mitigated, you are the one using the words incorrectly. The underlying flaw STILL EXISTS, it was mitigated, NOT FIXED, again: mitigation does not mean fixed. the first mitigation was causing the cpu overhead, and each new mitigation is more efficient, but the flaw will always be there.

Again

If intel would still have these security issues no one in any bigtech would be using these processors with major security flaws. That means intel would go out of business in a second. So no u cant access with backdoor anymore any Intel processor. Or are you trying to say that its not fixed and everybody is ignoring security flaws and still using unsafe hardware in this information age?
    nOux said:

Lormif said:

nOux said:

Lormif said:

nOux said:

Again

If intel would still have these security issues no one in any bigtech would be using these processors with major security flaws. That means intel would go out of business in a second. So no u cant access with backdoor anymore any Intel processor. Or are you trying to say that its not fixed and everybody is ignoring security flaws and still using unsafe hardware in this information age?
    Really? that makes no sense... Your logic is massively flawed. For one thing there is only 2 vendors, Intel and AMD, and Intel holds the vast majority of the patents.. That alone would keep them in the game.

Secondly people are not just going to throw out millions of dollars worth of servers.

Third and related to the second, the issue of meltdown was blown out of proportion. In order to exploit meltdown you had to have root level access on atleast a guest vm to access the host machines data, and understand the timing and paths of the cpu and memory, even then only proof of concept exploits exist.... So the issue is not as big as people made it out to be, meaning people like me who run a few hundred webservers can be ok with just mitigation and not an outright fix.

"Or are you trying to say that its not fixed and everybody is ignoring security flaws and still using unsafe hardware in this information age"

Yes they are.. Literally, study after study in the field shows it.

• Kabam LyraKabam Lyra Posts: 2,936 ★★★
    The initial question has been answered and this thread has gone off topic so it will be closed.
This discussion has been closed.