**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Long Post: Of Kabam, MCoC, MRoC and...perspective

ESFESF Posts: 1,944 ★★★★★
Hi, folks! Whaaattt...two long posts in one week?!?! It's the holiday season, so I actually have a little time on my hands.

As always, when I do long posts, here's the TL:DR paragraph: While there have been times when Kabam has frustrated me, just like anyone else, a look back in time to 2014 shows that they did pivot, make changes and improvements, and deepen the MCoC experience. MRoC might not be for everyone's tastes, but if the game lasts, perspective says that Kabam will make changes to it and improve.

So...who was here in 2014 for MCoC launch?

That was an interesting time. Personally, I had never heard of Kabam and, as usual, work/family and other games/entertainment options meant that I wasn't looking for another game.

But because I play a lot of superhero-based content, MCoC ads just kept appearing in my feeds -- five on launch day in 2014 -- and eventually I was like, "OMG Who are these people? I will download this game if you stop the ads!!!!!" 😅😅

Six years later, here I am...and the truth is this: MCoC was so bare-bones at launch, I honestly didn't know what it was supposed to do.

There was Quickmatch. There was the base 13 or so characters, at 2/3 stars. Act 1 and 2, IIRC.

And that was it.

No Masteries. No Arena. No duped abilities. No Alliances. No Realm of Legends.

I mean, it was as basic as basic gets. Not being mean. Just being honest.

I say this, am writing this post, because I saw the Brit's takedown of Realm of Champions.

This isn't a criticism of him, or it. He said what he said. People can make of it what they will.

But since when people offer opinions into the world, people can respond when they disagree. And I will say this:

Whether you play Realm or not. Whether you like how Kabam does things or don't. Whether you intend to play both games, one game or quit one or the other at some point, here's the truth, based on reality and perspective:

Kabam showed that they will make changes to support and improve MCoC, even when some of those changes weren't popular. Some changes absolutely infuriated parts of the fanbase, in fact, like the Perfect Block/Willpower nerfs and 12.0.

Earlier this year, the Brit was right when he said that MCoC wasn't heading in a good direction.

Kabam took that criticism and, to me, has expended tremendous effort and made, what, the last quarter of the year one of the most inclusive and progressive periods of time in the game's history.

None of us are perfect. Not me, not Kabam, not anyone.

But I have been playing video games since there have been video games. Yes, I am that old. I have been playing video games longer than many of you have been alive, on every platform you've heard of and probably many you have not.

So if you read my posts and believe what I say, here is my opinion:

1. MRoC is so much further along at launch than MCoC was, it's not even a comparison.

2. The structure of MRoC is there for it to be a tremendous partner to MCoC.

3. MRoC is going to be a great game as soon as 12 months from now. Probably sooner, tbh.

Again: That's just my opinion. People are entitled to theirs, as well.

But I know what I see, in MRoC.

If Kabam wants that platform to be successful and a partner to MCoC -- and I believe they absolutely do -- MRoC is going to be really good, really fast, for that style of play.

My advice: Take a week off from grinding your MCoC alternate account, give MRoC your time and attention.

And have a little faith in Kabam that as they identify ways to improve, they will.

Just my opinion!

Comments

• spiderknight616spiderknight616 Posts: 454 ★★★
    Agree with you about MRoC. It's already a very fun game at launch. With improvements and especially how interactive that game's dev team is with the community on Discord and Reddit, it'll turn out to be an amazing game. Sadly I doubt I'll have time to give to both games so I might have to give up on MRoC sooner than later. Wish I could play it though. It's fun as hell
  • ESFESF Posts: 1,944 ★★★★★

I am so invested in MCOC that I can't imagine adding another game. And I won't.

No worries...I am sure you won't be alone in that

At the same time, that doesn't mean it can't/won't be a really good game, though
  • I think mroc would be better for pc than phone so far, but it is fun

I think mroc would be better for pc than phone so far, but it is fun

It really does remind me of how Destiny 2 operates, with how the content could evolve

Again: Kabam's a big company. If they have enough time and engagement, to me, it's more likely than not that game is gonna be really good for that style of play, what it does

I think it's early, and it's fun

We shall see, but I think it could be pretty good, pretty quick

• Thicco_ModeThicco_Mode Posts: 8,852 ★★★★★
    ESF said:

i love how you just call him “the Brit” like he’s a figure shrouded in mystery or something

LOL My man rocks that accent so hard, I literally cannot think of him as anything else

I think he was a bit early in dropping the content, but again, I am not being harsh. Just think there's more there to be said
    not only that, it was clear he didn't play the game or understand its intricacies. Im not going further because it's my personal, rather harsh, opinion of his take, but i disagree with what he and a lot of youtube andies are saying about the game
    Crcrcrc said:

I think that MROC lays the groundwork for an incredible game, much more so than MCOC did at launch. It has fun gameplay and unique customization, and it is going to be an amazing game further in its lifespan.

wholeheartedly agree. it has a lot of potential and it's groundwork is much more vast than mcoc

the devs did say they tried to make it so you could devote less time to mroc and be able to balance the two, but we'll see
  • CrcrcrcCrcrcrc Posts: 7,939 ★★★★★
    The one thing I don’t enjoy about the game is the fact that you lose points for a loss in higher tiers. There is nothing I dislike more than loss of progress. Apart from that, the game is so fun with all the unique playstyles and game modes.

the devs did say they tried to make it so you could devote less time to mroc and be able to balance the two, but we'll see
    Yep -- I thought there was no way I was gonna have time. But I was putting maybe 30 minutes into my alternate account almost every day. I have cut sleep a bit since launch because I don't like not being decent at a game, but to me, my opinion, once you get the mechanics down, about 30 minutes is all a decent player will need consistently
    Moot4Life said:

It is like an early gift when you post B)<3 </p>

Thanks for the kind words!

Honestly I couldn't agree more. When MCOC came out it was NOTHING compared to what it is today and has drastically changed. I agree that it is a relatively weak game but I believe Seatin had too high of expectations as to what the release of this game would be. I really hope his video does not result in less success of MROC as the beginning stages of these mobile games are when input, discussion, and activity instead of just an ignorance of it.

I hope so, as well -- I think it was just early for it

He definitely wouldn't be playing MCoC today if he had been here at launch
    Crcrcrc said:

The one thing I don’t enjoy about the game is the fact that you lose points for a loss in higher tiers. There is nothing I dislike more than loss of progress. Apart from that, the game is so fun with all the unique playstyles and game modes.

Yeah. It is PAINFUL. I grinded my way up to where I sustained a loss of some Battle Rating and I was like "ouch ouch ouch ouch" 😅😅
    Kabam Boo said:

We're so pleased to hear about your enthusiasm for our games! Please feel free to join the official MROC discussions by downloading the game or participating in the Reddit thread https://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelRealm/. We couldn't have done this without you all. Cheers!

You guys have done a lot. Have faith in how it will go

Uncertain about registering for Reddit. I won’t post about MRoC here anymore, though I was honestly talking about past and present, but I know it’s best for feedback to be in one place
  • Hammerbro_64Hammerbro_64 Posts: 7,463 ★★★★★
    ESF said:

Kabam Boo said:

We're so pleased to hear about your enthusiasm for our games! Please feel free to join the official MROC discussions by downloading the game or participating in the Reddit thread https://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelRealm/. We couldn't have done this without you all. Cheers!

Uncertain about registering for Reddit. I won’t post about MRoC here anymore, though I was honestly talking about past and present, but I know it’s best for feedback to be in one place
    Reddit is an abyss that will consume an unhealthy amount of time. Consider staying away lol

ESF said:

Kabam Boo said:

Reddit is an abyss that will consume an unhealthy amount of time. Consider staying away lol
    LOL I have heard this. I cannot handle one more something like that 😅
  • Hammerbro_64Hammerbro_64 Posts: 7,463 ★★★★★
    ESF said:

ESF said:

Kabam Boo said:

LOL I have heard this. I cannot handle one more something like that 😅
    Yeah lol. But like, dead serious, it’s obnoxiously addictive and probably best to stay away. It’s fun but also there are always 20 better things to do.
    Onslaught is nearly impossible to beat with my 650 spidey. Anyone beat it yet?
    Crcrcrc said:

Heading in shortly; I won't have better luck with a 608 Iron Man, I would bet
    ESF said:

Crcrcrc said:

If it was maybe 3 minutes I could do it. Guess I need to grind like crazy to boost Spidey so I can get cap.
    Crcrcrc said:

ESF said:

Crcrcrc said:

If it was maybe 3 minutes I could do it. Guess I need to grind like crazy to boost Spidey so I can get cap.
    I hear you -- I will be on that grind, myself
  • DOKTOROKTOPUSDOKTOROKTOPUS Posts: 1,501 ★★★
    edited December 2020
    i just install this game, looks good, but i don't understand anything haha, where is my profile and stuff.

i only play a couple of matches but seems fun

edit: i can't put DOKTOR.OKTOPUS as my profile name, please allow me kabam

i just install this game, looks good, but i don't understand anything haha, where is my profile and stuff.

i only play a couple of matches but seems fun

edit: i can't put DOKTOR.OKTOPUS as my profile name, please allow me kabam

It is a separate game. If someone took your name, you can’t use it