**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Would you play the game if they stopped giving rewards?

ShinobiGuyShinobiGuy Posts: 565 ★★★
que8a0bca7hy.png
I ask this question after this wonderful pull. My last 10+ 5* have been bad pulls and my 3 6* are basically useless for me. I have had some good pulls as evidenced by my top champ, but lately I have not gotten anything that can further my account. I’m full on t4 basics, class cats, tier 1 and even tier 2 alphas. Got no one worth upgrading.
Got 3 different 5* AG collecting dust.
It basically feels like I’m playing this game for nothing. The symbiote event was fun, but what keeps me coming back to the game is new champs that help you progressing, once this is stopped I find myself asking what’s the point?
I don’t intend this as a rant because of pulling IP, but more a reflection and getting this of my chest.

Tl;dr
Bad pulls is like no rewards and I’m losing motivation.

Comments

• Options
    EpistriatusEpistriatus Posts: 1,248 ★★★★
    Rng, it can suck the joy out of the game, then again it can also inspire & give hope.

I open 5* crystals in a batch, I always, every single time, pull a (red) cyclops (still glad with the rdt last year, so I could take him down to rank 3). But every once in a while I also pull or dupe an amazing champ (just duped Hulk & pulled GR & cap beardo).

Have patience, find some challenge in other aspects of the game, and when you do pull an amazing champ, you’ll have all the resources to go to rank 4/5.
  • Options
    MrBanksMrBanks Posts: 950 ★★★
    Can you name your 5 and 6 stars? At least a few of them are definitely worth ranking up. And if you haven’t already, push in LoL.
  • Options
    Panchulon21Panchulon21 Posts: 2,605 ★★★★★
    I feel your pain but be patient. Don’t quit over bad rewards. I’ve had bad pulls over the last 10 crystals. But yesterday my luck turned a little. I finished sym event pulled ultron (dupe) from the feature and then duped próxima from my basic. So it definitely has a silver lining. Some have ALL the luck, some have some of the luck and others get shafted. Just keep churning you’ll get good ones soon.
  • Options
    This was nice, all positive responses. That actually made me feel better.
    I guess I’d tolerate that IP better if it wasn’t the featured reward from the symbiote event.

I do have close to 40000 5* shards and I’m hoping my luck will change when the featured 5* changes. I’m good with pulling almost half of the champs in there.

LoL I don’t know if I’ll ever do. Such long fights are just extremely tedious. Plus if I did it now all my catalysts would go in overflow and that would suck. Let’s see how it goes the next week. I’ll be 100% on act 5 (4 more collector fights) and then if I still get more bad pulls I can at least say that I finished the game and quit (probably just take a break) in peace.
  • Options
    dkatryldkatryl Posts: 672 ★★★
    edited October 2018
    If we didn't have rewards, I would still probably do 2*, 3*, or 4* basic arenas, simply because I have enough max level champs for each arena to never worry about hitting death squads and the annoying lead up to infinite streak.

The major thing that would change is I would ONLY do it when I have nothing else to do, like lunch break at work or whatever. I wouldn't set aside time in the evening or whatever to play.

A pure time killer and nothing more.
  • Options
    LiamS1990LiamS1990 Posts: 96
    Everyone goes through a patch of pulling bad champs, don't let it get to you. You will go on a streak of great champs soon. It happens. It's random and kabam doesn't pick and choose who to give good champs too. It's all down to luck and if the RNG is on your side
  • Options
    skullduggery72skullduggery72 Posts: 224 ★★
    I've been feeling the same, nothing but poor pulls for months, seeing other alliance mates who've done a lot less than me in game be it arena or quests with better top champions than me due to luck, its sickening. Kabam could help by increasing the 150 who win a 5* in arena to at least 1000 and by giving us a basic 5* arena. There's just no investment in 4*s now, no reason to waste resources except on a few of them. Anyway my bad luck changed last week when I pulled a 5* domino, she'll be rank 4 as soon as I get that 4th mutant t4. Bad luck ends eventually.
  • Options
    Strikerrx8Strikerrx8 Posts: 1,090 ★★★
    U have a starky 5 star take some bad pulls n move on u probably have a blade n void too
  • Options
    LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    I just pulled Domino from the featured crystal. Can't believe it. I was 0-16 on featured crystals going back to to old system. Haven't had a new champ in ages. Was expecting IP lol
  • Options
    DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,547 ★★★★★
    It isn’t a fun feeling, and it’s often hard to get any empathy if you already have a decent lineup (which anyone should have if they’ve been playing long enough).

But enjoyment in game mainly comes from a few simple sources: (1) doing something well, (2) getting new stuff, (3) making progress and (4) socializing with friends.

Bad pull streaks hit (2) and (3) hard. And not having the right tools for the job can make (1) a lot harder. The one thing that is reliable fun is (4), even if you want to punch that guy struggling to decide whether Domino or Void or KM or Corvus gets his T5bs.

I don’t have any of the shiny new champs, and I’ve hit a pretty so-so run my past 15 or so pulls, but I can console myself that 11 have given me 6* shards. I had a solid run of luck start of the year and usually see it turn back at the end, but I can’t say a Sym quest featured stinker won’t sting. Those are just the breaks with this version of RNG.

Dr. Zola
  • Options
    WiMakWiMak Posts: 359 ★★
    Seems like pulling domino is very popular this week… I got her as well, along with two of my alliance mates.
  • Options
    ChampioncriticChampioncritic Posts: 3,347 ★★★★
    WiMak wrote: »
    Seems like pulling domino is very popular this week… I got her as well, along with two of my alliance mates.

I concur, I got 4* domino out of daily crystal also.
  • Options
    玩玩玩家玩玩玩家 Posts: 441
    Game Business: Is all about psychology to make you keep playing and of course make profit.
  • Options
    @ShinobiGuy if it makes you feel any better, I got a Falcon dupe for my pains. Just completely, totally worthless and a champ who doesn’t even make arena squad unless I’m desperate. That makes just 3 new 5* champs for me since since late May/early June (KK, Sentry and Miles). Two class AGs unused and finally burned my generic in hopes of changing my luck a little. It didn’t.

Dr. Zola
  • Options
    @DrZola A lot of people seem to have gotten falcon. I’m more over it today, but thanks for the support. Here's to some luck for both of us soon!
  • Options
    Luckylefty01Luckylefty01 Posts: 155
    I take the bad pulls with the good. I'll still play the game because I enjoy playing it. I did take a step back from alliance activity last season for personal reasons. I'm in a alliance now that does map 3 AQ and does war. I'm having fun that's what matters.
  • Options
    Archangel442Archangel442 Posts: 158
    If you don’t get bad pulls, you can’t prove how good you are... you can’t beat RoL with only IP and no revives if you don’t have IP
  • Options
    If you don’t get bad pulls, you can’t prove how good you are... you can’t beat RoL with only IP and no revives if you don’t have IP
    I’m so badass I even got an IP address.
  • Options
    SagetrofholzSagetrofholz Posts: 125
    Were currently at 5 falcon pulls for our alliance myself included and not everyone is finished yet. Its extremely disappointing
  • Options
    SagetrofholzSagetrofholz Posts: 125
    Agreed. I think we have about 12 people so far that have 100% completed the symbiote difficulty and 5 Falcon pulls so far...something isnt right. So we can say it's all conspiracy but there is definitely a weight system to these crystals
  • Options
    Hello everyone,

We've been working hard to give you more of an insight into our Drop Rates and to help you make more informed decisions. You can find all the information regarding Crystal Drop Rates on the thread below:
    https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/55022/drop-rate-information-in-the-contest

Hope this helps clear things up!

Porkchop
  • Options
    JayCeeJayCee Posts: 732 ★★
    Honestly I’m contemplating quitting based of how toxic the game’s community is, rather that bad reward
  • Options
    JDunk2291JDunk2291 Posts: 464 ★★
    Im thinkin of quitting because its ALWAYS Something with this Game...The Lag Is ALWAYS An Issue here....U can grind for hours or even days to get that 5* crystal only to pull Karnak or an Iron Patriot. The Deals Are awful. Pay 60 Bucks for an awakening gem and u cant even Choose?? This Game is Just Declining instead of improving. Im losing Love For.it and ive been here since it started 4-5 years ago
  • Options
    RixobRixob Posts: 505 ★★
    RNG has too much control over the progression of this game. I've never played a game where random drop rates can determine significant progress.
    I see two options to fix this.
    1. Buff all these old useless champs like Gamora, Colussus, Iron Fist, Magneto etc.
    2. Stop making it seem like all champs have the same drop rates. Esp. in the featured crystal. Its blatantly obvious that older and less useful champs have higher drop rates.
  • Options
    DrZola wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

We've been working hard to give you more of an insight into our Drop Rates and to help you make more informed decisions. You can find all the information regarding Crystal Drop Rates on the thread below:
    https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/55022/drop-rate-information-in-the-contest

Hope this helps clear things up!

Porkchop

Thank you Porkchop—putting aside drop rates for a sec, could you comment on the team’s decisions to put champs who are pretty universally viewed as among the worst in game into these crystals?

I realize there’s potentially a “thrill of victory/agony of defeat” aspect (1970’s ABC sports reference there), but the disparity is enormous between the Corvus/Domino/Cap3/Hypo/Magik and Groot/Falcon/IP/Colossus/Miles results. Surely the team has data that suggests players don’t willingly turn to the latter type of champs for anything.

I’m not suggesting every crystal should have top champs only. And the new featured does a little better I suppose (if you shield your eyes from Rhino, NFDD, Blue Cyke, Howard). But there are plenty of middle of the road champs that can be used capably or situationally to clear content (e.g., Psylocke, Loki, WS).

Why not fill out the crystals with decent options instead of throwing in the bottom of the barrel? Alternatively, why not create a “not ready for prime time” crystal option for reduced shards that includes only the MCoC clunkers.

So what’s the rub? Is it just sadistic glee? Does the forums need more screeds about a person’s bad luck to stay operational? What’s the game team’s calculus?

Just looking for some insight.

Dr. Zola

Flagged anonymously as spam for...what reason?

A simple question about how the team goes about deciding what champs to put in the featured, laced with a bit of humor. If it’s been asked and answered, don’t be a lazy flagger— point me to the thread.

Dr. Zola
  • Options
    WerewrymWerewrym Posts: 2,830 ★★★★★
    RNG is a big problem in this game. No one wants to play a game where advancing is dependent upon a lottery-like system. It is quite frankly insulting to see a newer player with Blade, Corvus, Domino, etc. when others like myself have been playing for 3 years and can't seem to get lucky enough to get the good champs that are required to be able to advance.