**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Concerns about getting banned for account sharing.

AhitlawAhitlaw Posts: 2,123 ★★★★
Hi,me and my wife are in the same ally and her phone SUCKS. On her phone(LGstylo4)all she does really is autofight EQs n stuff. But when it comes to alliance stuff she uses my phone so she’s actually capable to doing it. Now my phone is an IPhone,hers is Google. It can’t look good that she switches back n forth as often she does n I don’t want her getting me banned. Is there reason to be concerned? I never play on hers nor does she on mine.

Comments

• AhitlawAhitlaw Posts: 2,123 ★★★★
    T
    Drooped2 wrote: »
    Ahitlaw wrote: »
    Hi,me and my wife are in the same ally and her phone SUCKS. On her phone(LGstylo4)all she does really is autofight EQs n stuff. But when it comes to alliance stuff she uses my phone so she’s actually capable to doing it. Now my phone is an IPhone,hers is Google. It can’t look good that she switches back n forth as often she does n I don’t want her getting me banned. Is there reason to be concerned? I never play on hers nor does she on mine.

Me and my kid play on the same phone and iPad no issues but same allaince might murky that up bit

Hrmm I'm curious for a mod response on this honestly

That scares me too,I invest a lot of time n some $$ on my account. Definitely is no account sharing we don’t play on each others accounts. Just phone share until we can get her a better one but I always feared going back n forth from google to apple will set off red flags.
  • Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,762 ★★★★★
    For the way you described it, it is recognized as account sharing. Since both of you have an account, is like you are login in an account that doesn't belong to you, but rather to someone else
    For the way you described it, it is recognized as account sharing. Since both of you have an account, is like you are login in an account that doesn't belong to you, but rather to someone else

That’s what I was afraid of,it being recognized as account sharing when in reality it is phone sharing which is not against the rules. This would not be an issue if they knew how to fix the androids. I should not be falsely banned due to her not being able to enjoy the game on her own phone.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian

Using someone else's phone is not account sharing. The mods have stated this repeatedly. Someone will come along to say "but what about if I use hers and he uses his" or something. All permutations of that have been previously addressed by the mods. Someone else will come along to say "yeah but what does it *look* like" and the mods have also addressed this. They specifically look for situations like this and are not supposed to ban for it. Of course, Kabam can always make a mistake. But that's true no matter what you do.

The mods do not discuss methodology and neither do I, but I will say I could tell the difference between actual account sharing and what was being described above. So anyone who thinks it is *impossible* to tell the difference is just wrong. Whether Kabam actually does that correctly I can't say, but as I said to the degree that Kabam can make mistakes they could ban you by mistake for no reason at all.

Put it another way. If anything thinks that Kabam would detect the situation described by the OP as account sharing, then they should also detect the situation where one person owns two accounts and plays them on two different devices randomly as account sharing, because how could they know that the two accounts are being played by the same person instead of two different people? And yet, people with multiple accounts and multiple devices do not get banned all over the place. *I* have two accounts and multiple devices, and I do occasionally log them back and forth.
    If would be different if only one of two people played the game. Since both play the game on their own devices, login in the other device would be account sharing
    If would be different if only one of two people played the game. Since both play the game on their own devices, login in the other device would be account sharing

I'm sorry but to be blunt, this is 100% false. The mods have addressed this specifically. Account sharing is when two or more people log into and play the same account. Notice that statement doesn't contain the word "device" anywhere in it. That's because the devices you play on are entirely irrelevant. Kabam doesn't care which devices you play on, or who owns them. Account sharing is when two or more people log into and play the same account. It is *Account* sharing that is prohibited, not device sharing.

One more time, because no matter how many times this is repeated it keeps coming up. Account sharing is when two or more people share one account. If you are not sharing an *Account* then you aren't account sharing. It doesn't matter if you share devices, fingers, eyeballs, or brain. As long as you play your account and they play their account and you don't play their account and they don't play your account it is not account sharing, because you are not sharing an account.

This should probably be turned into a FAQ, so the mods don't have to repeat it every four months.
    But again, there's no way to tell who is the person playing the account, and the human itself won't be part of the equation to verify if there is or not account sharing.
    What is needed are devices and accounts at least.
    But again, there's no way to tell who is the person playing the account, and the human itself won't be part of the equation to verify if there is or not account sharing.
    What is needed are devices and accounts at least.

There's no way to tell which human being on Earth is playing an account electronically. But that is not synonymous with being unable to tell if an account is being shared. There are ways.

But let's say you were right and there's no way to tell the difference between account sharing and the conduct that the OP is describing. In that case, the OP would be perfectly safe. Because saying that there's no way to tell the difference between actual account sharing and the behavior of the OP is tantamount to saying the observed behavior of the OP is not evidence of account sharing. If the behavior cannot be definitively shown to be caused by account sharing, then what's the problem? If a behavior doesn't prove account sharing, why would you be concerned about it leading to a ban? It isn't proof of account sharing, so Kabam wouldn't use it as proof of account sharing.

This is no different from all those brainiacs that were claiming that Kabam couldn't distinguish between account sharing and people using the same IP address behind a router. Well, in a sense it is true that two people sharing the same IP address isn't proof of account sharing. That's why they don't use that as proof.
  • PiviotPiviot Posts: 658 ★★★
    I have one account I play on two devices,

What you describe is perfectly ok
  • Jkw634Jkw634 Posts: 284 ★★
    I doubt you would get a detailed answer because it may tip off what they look out for in regards to account sharing.
  • KevinFF1961KevinFF1961 Posts: 93
    Pretty sure they check location. If you log in in Florida and then 5 minutes later in Japan and then an hour later in Florida, that will get their attention.
  • rfootballrfootball Posts: 25
    I'm also assuming that alliance war play is watched or controlled more than other content because of people being upset with account sharing which they should be
    Yes kabam is very vague and tight lipped about it. I know from 10 plus different communications with customer support. They couldn't tell me about the 5 accounts in aw as I would have liked them to. But understand why and did trial and error even at a cost to my accounts and alliances. Love the game and it is free to play after all.
    So my plan on having 1 battlegroup in aw of just my accounts is impossible boo hoo. Still a great game.
    Pretty sure they check location. If you log in in Florida and then 5 minutes later in Japan and then an hour later in Florida, that will get their attention.

I logged in from Japan and Hawaii minutes apart several times when travelling, because I had to VPN back to the office for minor work related things. I'm still here. Conversely, if Kabam was using that as a red flag then account sharers could avoid the red flag by using the same public VPN services so their connections would always come from the same IP address no matter who was logged in. By themselves, IP addresses mean almost nothing.
    Guess I could of just said you and your wife are not account sharing I know from experience
  • Hey there, just to clarify things, what the OP described is not account sharing. So long as the only one who is playing an account is the one who created the account, there is nothing to worry about, no matter what devices they play on or log into.
    @Kabam Zibiit Thank you for clarifying that,if you have time I do have one more question.
    Are you allowed to purchase someone else’s account if they quit the game?
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    @Ahitlaw that has been answered lots of times by Mods. Buying and selling accounts or even giving away an account for free is against the TOS.
  • No, purchasing someone's account would not be allowed as that would be a violation of the Terms of Service, which can result in action being taken on an account. The only player who is allowed to play on and use an account is the player who created the account in the first place.
This discussion has been closed.