**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Suggestion to Kabam re: disliked champs/6-star crystal rage quitting...

AldacAldac Posts: 475 ★★★
Hi @Kabam Miike @Kabam Zibiit @Kabam Vydious @Kabam Lyra @Kabam Wolf

Apologies to all in advance for any ranting/moaning/entitlement below.

There seems to have been quite a lot of uproar this week about perceived bad champs being added to the 6-star featured, as well as about targeted offers (generic 5 star awakening gem & signature stones) for players who haven’t played for a long time/quit etc. I can see the logic behind the latter but I think ultimately the negative effect such exclusive offers have by annoying regular players outweighs any positive impact it may have to bring people back. I think it might be more beneficial to mitigate reasons why people stop playing in the first place.

The disliked champ issue is the motivation for this post. I opened a basic 6-star earlier after waiting ages for the previous featured champs to be added this week. To say I was disappointed with the pull is something of an understatement. I already have the character I pulled at 5-star (unfortunately), hate playing with him, hate fighting him and just generally loathe him. I would have preferred literally anyone else. For a 5-star this is disappointing, but for a 6-star crystal at this point in the game, it really is depressing. I’ve been bummed out by it all day and will probably be on a downer with the game for quite a while. 6-star shards are still rare and incredibly difficult to get. Each crystal takes months of effort and/or expense for your average player. I’d been saving for this for a long time by completing the event quests each month, bought the 6-star shard offer recently, and used a lot of resources (ie units) to complete the Captain’s Clash event to get to the requisite 10,000 shards (any regular player would have to be crazy to go for the featured at this point).

Having done all that, waited months and then pulling a character you completely hate really feels like a kick in the teeth, and I can really understand why people rage-quit or take extended breaks from the game. RNG or not it still feels ****. I would really hesitate before buying future 6-star shard offers or spending money to complete events specifically for 6-star shards.

So my main point after all this explaining (and moaning) is to make a simple suggestion. Why not offer players some kind of resource that can be bought or purchased with units or loyalty, glory etc that allows a player to blacklist a champ (preferably up to three...) they hate from a basic (not featured) 6-star crystal pull. I think it would be pretty popular, would make you money and would enable people to spin the highest value crystal in the game (given the effort and resources required) without the fear of pulling the champ they hate the most. There will still be plenty of others in there people would prefer not to pull but won’t get upset about.

Regardless of the generally accepted rankings, I think everyone has specific champs they either love or hate. Why not use that to improve the player experience?

Comments

• Options
    axelelf_1axelelf_1 Posts: 775 ★★★
    Completely understand. I waited for Domino to hit the 6* basic and pulled Beast. Then just pulled Red Skul. Whenever I do eventually quit this game, it’ll be because of bad rng.
  • Options
    RichiesDad79RichiesDad79 Posts: 1,003 ★★★
    I think a good solution to this six star Crystal issue is to have a custom six star Crystal where the summoner has to construct a list made up of 80% of the champs in the current featured. Then, said summoner would get a crystal with only the 80% in it. Another idea that I think Kabam would be more likely to go for would be for a summoner to be allowed to strike or remove a limited amount of champs from their crystal for the price of 1000 additional shards per champ removed. This would greatly reduce enraged summoners like the o.p.
  • Options
    Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,185 ★★★★★
    I get your frustration, but I am not sure how Kabam could keep unpopular champs out of the crystal pool and maintain any semblance of fairness in the game.

My perspective is this: I love this game and plan to play it a long time, so if I pull a 5-star Cyclops or whatever, that's fine. I'll pull other champs. Better luck next time, at least that's the hope.

Also, the speed at which you will acquire your next 6-star will decrease every time, and pretty soon you'll get a Domino or Corvus or what not. Don't let a disappointing RNG ruin a really fun and engaging game.

Good luck.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,660 Guardian
    Aldac wrote: »
    So my main point after all this explaining (and moaning) is to make a simple suggestion. Why not offer players some kind of resource that can be bought or purchased with units or loyalty, glory etc that allows a player to blacklist a champ (preferably up to three...) they hate from a basic (not featured) 6-star crystal pull.

In principle, I wouldn't have a problem with a blacklist token that a) only worked on basic crystals and b) was limited to at most one for 6* and three for 5* (due to the difference in pool size). I think it would be interesting to see first, how many players actually use them at all, and second, which champs it were used on. That could be interesting data for Kabam to collect, and its statistical impact on crystal pulls would be limited.
  • Options
    Dexman1349Dexman1349 Posts: 3,060 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    So my main point after all this explaining (and moaning) is to make a simple suggestion. Why not offer players some kind of resource that can be bought or purchased with units or loyalty, glory etc that allows a player to blacklist a champ (preferably up to three...) they hate from a basic (not featured) 6-star crystal pull.

In principle, I wouldn't have a problem with a blacklist token that a) only worked on basic crystals and b) was limited to at most one for 6* and three for 5* (due to the difference in pool size). I think it would be interesting to see first, how many players actually use them at all, and second, which champs it were used on. That could be interesting data for Kabam to collect, and its statistical impact on crystal pulls would be limited.

I agree that it would be useful data for Kabam to see who isn't wanted in the game. Perhaps add more data to support revamping certain champs.

The same could be done with another poll though. Like they did over a year ago with the "players choice" crystals.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,660 Guardian
    Dexman1349 wrote: »
    DNA3000 wrote: »

I agree that it would be useful data for Kabam to see who isn't wanted in the game. Perhaps add more data to support revamping certain champs.

The same could be done with another poll though. Like they did over a year ago with the "players choice" crystals.

Kabam can use polls for things like the players' choice crystal, because that's literally just a kind of marketing participation. But when it comes to game balance decisions, polls have no value. But if players actually spend time and money on something, that becomes a much more noteworthy "vote."

Games are balanced around what players do, not what they say. There's lots of reasons for that, but the fundamental one is that the devs can't ask every single player for their opinion, so they can never be sure what they are hearing isn't a highly skewed or misrepresented view (and it often is). But they can see literally everything we do, so they don't have to rely on a representative sample of the playerbase.

Beyond that, talk is cheap, but anything that players will spend their actual time and money on adds substantial weight to the point of view those actions represent.
  • Options
    xNigxNig Posts: 7,249 ★★★★★
    Sorry OP.

If you think because you spent to buy 6* shards, done every Uc monthly and did Marvel’s Challenge (like many many people have done), you deserve a 6* that is to your liking, then you’re sorely mistakened.

Does it feel bad? Sure it does. But it’ll be really really boring if every single 6* pull were domino Corvus etc.

Without disappointment there is no joy.
  • Options
    spaceoctopusspaceoctopus Posts: 1,111 ★★★
    My 6* pulls in order:

DXF (devastated)
    King Groot (equally devastated)
    Thor Rag (forced optimism)
    Iron Fist (expected at this point)
    CAIW (overjoyed, estatic!)
    Jane Foster (1 out of 6 ain't bad!)

Yeah it blows but you'll get over it and one day you'll pull someone cool and useful.
  • Options
    EvisceratorEviscerator Posts: 350 ★★
    So what character did you even get?
  • Options
    CliffordcanCliffordcan Posts: 1,341 ★★★★
    Need to know who it was
  • Options
    KalantakKalantak Posts: 1,291 ★★★★
    I somewhat know how you feel like pulling a jane foster,poki n sentry ,xpool and seeing other pull dominos,sabertooth m killmongers! But what I understood from that is LIFE is incredibly unfair and you will most likely never get what you desire! So this is right moment for you to make a decision ! Either quit completely, or move to non active map 2/3 alliance,never buy any offers or just forget that 6* is in roster unless you grind arena!! Oh n my 5th 6* was ghost after back to back disappointments! So there will be a silver lining! But be sure to never buy any offers
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,247 ★★★★★
    I mean, I understand the frustration of pulling a Champ you don't want, but if someone is going to quit over that, I don't believe pulling the Champ they DO want would keep them here much longer. That's a very conditional type of patronage.
  • Options
    V1PER1987V1PER1987 Posts: 3,474 ★★★★★
    For every complaint about RNG (especially 6*) I think I’m going to spam this. Let’s see how many flags I get...

• Options
    Dezz_1Dezz_1 Posts: 118
    I damn near rage quit today after I opened my 8th 6s which happens to be cyclops. who just got added to the pool.
    its ridiculous
    2 good 6 trash
  • Options
    BrightfireHDBrightfireHD Posts: 81
    Hey, @Kabam Miike , I can tolerate what the 6-star crystals give me.
    But if I duped a bad champion, don't you think you should at least give me 275 six-star crystal shards?
  • Options
    AldacAldac Posts: 475 ★★★
    Thanks to everyone who has offered useful advice or criticism. For the “suck it up, get over it crowd”: I started the post with an apology and made it clear that I was commenting on the recent uproar about “bad” champs going into the crystal and about people leaving the game (I never said I was going to do so myself). I just wanted to bring an idea to the people involved in the game. If we’re not allowed to do that without getting shouted down what’s the point in these forums?

And @John757 : what rules violations? I honestly have no idea what you’re referring to? I can assure you that I wouldn’t have violated them knowingly. I’m not a regular poster btw.
  • Options
    Dennis_83Dennis_83 Posts: 23
    V1PER1987 said:

For every complaint about RNG (especially 6*) I think I’m going to spam this. Let’s see how many flags I get...

Any further questions about RNG? 3 times in a row ...

I´m so done with this 6*crytals
  • Options
    xNigxNig Posts: 7,249 ★★★★★
    Dennis_83 said:

V1PER1987 said:

Beast is pretty decent.
  • Options
    Dennis_83Dennis_83 Posts: 23
    edited March 2019
    xNig said:

Dennis_83 said:

V1PER1987 said:

Beast is pretty decent.
    for grinding i agree... for everything else in the game there are way better champs
  • Options
    John757John757 Posts: 1,085 ★★★
    Rules 3. And 6b. On the post the says read forum rules before posting @Aldac
  • Options
    JRock808JRock808 Posts: 1,149 ★★★★
    edited March 2019
    6 stars should feel like an accomplishment, not a kick in the nether region.

To all the suck it up people, shame on you. If you don't feel that months of time, effort and perhaps money as well is worth feeling excited and bringing more joy to the game then I hope you never design games... well, you may fit in at Kabam.

This isn't the daily 3-4 phc that are just whatever. This is something people plan for in games months in advance, know exactly when they will open, on,y to get screwed royally.

But then you hav people with Corvus ghost domino out of 4-5 champs and iyou look at your loki, Jane and less effective version of cyclops and wonder why you even bother. And that's not something you want dedicated players to ever think.

It's quite similar to pre 12.0 when if you didn't have witch or Starlord you just played a different game than everyone else. One that was stuck on hard mode and cost more.
  • Options
    DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 21,026 ★★★★★
    JRock808 said:

To all the suck it up people, shame on you. If you don't feel that months of time, effort and perhaps money as well is worth feeling excited and bringing more joy to the game then I hope you never design games... well, you may fit in at Kabam.

This isn't the daily 3-4 phc that are just whatever. This is something people plan for in games months in advance, know exactly when they will open, on,y to get screwed royally.

But then you hav people with Corvus ghost domino out of 4-5 champs and iyou look at your loki, Jane and less effective version of cyclops and wonder why you even bother. And that's not something you want dedicated players to ever think.

It's quite similar to pre 12.0 when if you didn't have witch or Starlord you just played a different game than everyone else. One that was stuck on hard mode and cost more.

I don't understand how you can't just suck it up and move on? You go into opening a crystal fully aware of what champs are available in them. You know that there is a mix of "bad" champs and "good" champs. You take the risk knowing full well that its possible you aren't getting what you want. How is it you can act the way OP is and others in the community when you don't get what you want and get upset when realist types call you out on your tantrums you say we can't have that opinion. Get over it. You can be mad but stop acting like you didn't know the risks opening a crystal.
  • Options
    DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 21,026 ★★★★★

JRock808 said:

I don't understand how you can't just suck it up and move on? You go into opening a crystal fully aware of what champs are available in them. You know that there is a mix of "bad" champs and "good" champs. You take the risk knowing full well that its possible you aren't getting what you want. How is it you can act the way OP is and others in the community when you don't get what you want and get upset when realist types call you out on your tantrums you say we can't have that opinion. Get over it. You can be mad but stop acting like you didn't know the risks opening a crystal.
    Reminds me of all those angry posts from people that didn't get blade in their blade crystal. Those people also acted like they weren't obliged to even consider a non desired outcome.
    I changed my perspective on opening crystals (and the value of champions beneath the so called "god tier") a while ago. And I've never felt more free.
    Exactly. 20% meant 100% in their eyes.
  • Options
    Troy_Elric123Troy_Elric123 Posts: 542 ★★★
    Take all the trash in the 6star crystal away or buff them. 6star Cyclopes and antman have you any shame kabam?
  • Options
    Troy_Elric123Troy_Elric123 Posts: 542 ★★★
    xNig said:

Sorry OP.

If you think because you spent to buy 6* shards, done every Uc monthly and did Marvel’s Challenge (like many many people have done), you deserve a 6* that is to your liking, then you’re sorely mistakened.

Does it feel bad? Sure it does. But it’ll be really really boring if every single 6* pull were domino Corvus etc.

Without disappointment there is no joy.

Thats kind of a nonsense reply