**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.

Gifting Badge Discussion [Merged Threads]

Comments

• Is it just me or are people overlooking the possibility this is a temporary thing? Instead of frapping out over a situation that is out of your control, perhaps enter with a level head? Or is that asking too much? It would be nice if we had some clarification on whether we'll get this back down the road. If the answer is yes, then all those screaming rip off and the like are just impatient.

Judging by the wording, specifically 'suspension,' it seems like they plan to bring it back once they figure out a way to stop the abuse. Until then, it's turned off. So, with that in mind, it would stand to reason that the Gifting Badge you purchased will still work. So, as there's a situation caused by scummy people occurring, we cannot Gift for the time being. That's my general takeaway from the original post. So, perhaps, be patient and see what happens? It is only day 1 afterall.
  • BenLucasBenLucas Posts: 69
    Instead of removing the badge, why not implement a daily maximum? If there is abuse it would be large scale, so just implement a cap.... is it that hard? Say max 10 items or max 400 units, or whatever. FTP players just need a few revives here and there, but you are punishing everyone... Seriously, who comes up with these ideas???

• CommonSenseCommonSense Posts: 54
    Don’t think there’s much to it...please everyone just read the TOS “terms of service” carefully...all the answers are in there. Stuff like this can happen at anytime and all the gripes in the world couldn’t change it, it’s all in there..we agree to this when we play this mobile game. It is what it is.
  • SkxxxtySkxxxty Posts: 86

“Hope to bring it back in the future” that seems a little disingenuous unless it will be free to those who previously bought it and the 300 units was just for the inconvenience of being without it temporarily
  • HaminHamin Posts: 2,444 ★★★★★

Don’t think there’s much to it...please everyone just read the TOS “terms of service” carefully...all the answers are in there. Stuff like this can happen at anytime and all the gripes in the world couldn’t change it, it’s all in there..we agree to this when we play this mobile game. It is what it is.

This is true; however, just like 12.0, it violates Google and Apple's ToS in regards to in-app purchases.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,169 ★★★★★
    Hamin said:

@Kabam Miike

Reposting this because it got lost in the shuffle. I'm genuinely curious as to how reinstating badges during gifting events isn't counterintuitive to the situation you're trying to stop?

Hamin said:

Ok... please explain the logic here. Isn't this when the abuse would be turned up to 11?

It's much easier to address an isolated incident. Also, there could be Gifting Events with provided Gifts. Like Red Tickets, for example.
  • HaminHamin Posts: 2,444 ★★★★★
    edited March 2019
    Hamin said:

This is true; however, just like 12.0, it violates Google and Apple's ToS in regards to in-app purchases.
    To add... yes, Kabam has the autonomy to change things as they please, but Google and Apple have the autonomy to pull the plug on using them for in-app purchases... And I'm assuming they aren't very happy right now since the refunds come directly from Google and Apple and not Kabam.
  • IksdjvanIksdjvan Posts: 239 ★★

There were people on social media and the line app offering gifting services. In exchange for say $20 they would send a ridiculous amount of revives, health pots, boosts, etc. Way more than what a player could get with $20 worth of units

If those people were legitimately mining units to gift that stuff, why is it a big deal that someone paid them to mine gifts for them? That is basic economic activity at work. In any economy, you pay people for things that you don't want to manufacture yourself.

If those people found a way to hack the game to get free resources then that is the exploit that should be addressed.
    Because those people were not legitimately mining units to gift that stuff.
    Umm, if they weren't legitimately mining units then the problem isn't the gifting it's the fraudulent mining of units. So again why are you punishing everyone?
  • Hexen2Hexen2 Posts: 12
    I don’t believe 300 units is adequate “reimbursement” for what the ability you have taken from us or for what we paid for the badge. I have been a member a long time and purchased this badge early on. It has been very beneficial in decisive wars.
  • Fred_JoeityFred_Joeity Posts: 1,168 ★★★

Lormif said:

Kabam did not make a top shelf move here. In my oppinion they should of gave us full compensation of 850 units or at least half that 425... I mean only reason why I bought the $29.99 unit deal was for the GB

Inncorect. The 300 units is extra. You got what you paid for which was 850 units. The badge was a free item for buying the package. That is evident as the 850 unit package is still in the unit store.
    I didnt pay for the units. I paid for the gifting badge.
    You paid for the units, you wanted the badge, but that is not what you paid for. philosophically that may be want you wanted, but not actually.
    No. I paid for the badge. If the badge wasn't there then I wouldnt have paid anything. Therefore I paid money TO kabam for a gifting badge.
    People keep on repeating the same thing over and over. Can we just at least have one positive thread about Kabam? The hate thread’s over there if you’re interested.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,470 Guardian
    Hamin said:

I don't know why people keep saying this, because there's nothing in the App store guidelines that says anything close to this. This seems to be something that just keeps getting repeated that a friend of a friend of a friend said once.
  • DoferoDofero Posts: 6
    Ok lady and gentlemen I never post here but on this I had to. We are talking about a company that make 7m a month on just mcoc and 360m in the year of 2017 and they are crying because 0.0001% of the community has exploited a essential part of the game for most not everyone can dump 10s of thousands of dollars into their pockets some need help in war or AQ and kabam taking the ability to help those will hurt alliances and the game itself this is nothing more then a witch hunt due to people taking Penny's out of their millions of dollars and there more then happy to take the badge just means more people have to buy more units which means more money in their pockets they are not going to reverse this sad day to be in mcoc but thanks for the shady 300 unit was a nice 3* I pulled great competition.
    Please don’t delete previous post, it is respectful and constructive
  • MoehageneMoehagene Posts: 29
    Hamin said:

Hamin said:

To add... yes, Kabam has the autonomy to change things as they please, but Google and Apple have the autonomy to pull the plug on using them for in-app purchases... And I'm assuming they aren't very happy right now since the refunds come directly from Google and Apple and not Kabam.
    This is why I provided link above. May be the beat way to get through to kabam. We have to play by their rules as they see fit in the game. They have to obey the rules put in place by Google and apple.

Hamin said:

@Kabam Miike

Reposting this because it got lost in the shuffle. I'm genuinely curious as to how reinstating badges during gifting events isn't counterintuitive to the situation you're trying to stop?

Hamin said:

Ok... please explain the logic here. Isn't this when the abuse would be turned up to 11?

It's much easier to address an isolated incident. Also, there could be Gifting Events with provided Gifts. Like Red Tickets, for example.
    In that case why bother having a badge at all?
    There are a number of Events throughout the year that involve Gifting. I would imagine they want people to still enjoy those Events. Allowing that creates an isolated situation that, if the event arises that people abuse it, it's easier to tackle. It may not even be a possibility for some Events because you're Gifting what is provided. That's a vast difference from leaving them active and allowing people to create Accounts for the purpose of Fraud, ad ifinitum. That's a very expensive and highly illegal game of Whack-A-Mole.
    Iksdjvan said:

There were people on social media and the line app offering gifting services. In exchange for say $20 they would send a ridiculous amount of revives, health pots, boosts, etc. Way more than what a player could get with $20 worth of units

If those people were legitimately mining units to gift that stuff, why is it a big deal that someone paid them to mine gifts for them? That is basic economic activity at work. In any economy, you pay people for things that you don't want to manufacture yourself.

If those people found a way to hack the game to get free resources then that is the exploit that should be addressed.
    Because those people were not legitimately mining units to gift that stuff.
    Umm, if they weren't legitimately mining units then the problem isn't the gifting it's the fraudulent mining of units. So again why are you punishing everyone?
    And how do you know which units were purchased by bad actors? All the units are actually purchased by Apple and Google, who in turn collect from the people who make in-app purchases. And it can take a month or longer before anyone detects the fraud occurring. Sometimes people don't realize the fraud has occurred until several months of it happens. Not everyone looks carefully at their credit card bill every month, and if the fraud is hidden in a mobile plan bill due to SIM cloning, it can be even harder to detect than that because people look carefully at those things even less often.
  • CommonSenseCommonSense Posts: 54
    its Going to take a lot of complaining and time and lots and lots and lots of unhappy people to complain to apple and google to maybe get a rise out of kabam for this...to many users, google and apple store gets kickbacks on popular games to make up for the ones that have problems from time to time. There all interlaced in someway, all a part of one another in some way, shape or fourm. The machine is made to separate us from our money...if one don’t get it, another one will.
  • @Hamin , I have a feeling that any special gifting events in future may only be able to gift those particular special items, like Red Tickets, etc. And probably won’t be opening up the whole selection of previously giftable items during those temporary special gifting events.
    Unless of course they reinstate gifting in general, if they believe they have a way to prevent the bad problems from happening.
    Maybe I should claim the units and change my name to Ungroundedwisdom...
    Not sure why you're pinpointing me on this one. I didn't make the decision. I'm just explaining it. Furthermore, whether or not you Claim the Units, that's what the decision is. Personally, I'd rather take them than let them go to waste. To each their own.
    Hamin said:

Hamin said:

The idea that customers can make Apple and Google "mad at" an app vendor by demanding charge reversals is amusing but unlikely. When they get these requests their reflex action is to simply rubber stamp them on the assumption that a small number of them is simply the cost of business and it isn't worth investigating them all. However, and this has actually occurred in the past when a controversial change has happened in the game, if they see an unusual number of these, at some point a threshold is reached and they stop automatically approving them all. Players have reported that they've been told by both Apple and Google that due to the high volume of refund requests they would not be approving them, and instead would be referring them to an investigator. And usually the free refunds stop there when they realize players are asking for refunds without legitimate cause.

This too is part of the cost of doing business, and all the volume that all of the disgruntled players can generate is a teeny tiny drop in the bucket for companies like Apple. I'm pretty sure that time they locked a few million iMessage customers behind the anti-fraud lockout caused them more support headaches than all the games in the app store combined.

Hamin said:

@Kabam Miike

Hamin said:

In that case why bother having a badge at all?
    There are a number of Events throughout the year that involve Gifting. I would imagine they want people to still enjoy those Events. Allowing that creates an isolated situation that, if the event arises that people abuse it, it's easier to tackle. It may not even be a possibility for some Events because you're Gifting what is provided. That's a vast difference from leaving them active and allowing people to create Accounts for the purpose of Fraud, ad ifinitum. That's a very expensive and highly illegal game of Whack-A-Mole.
    I mean to say dissolve the gifting system and just work it through messaging or just leave it open all the time but only with selected items like envelopes or something.
    What they're saying is the best option is to keep it disabled until those Events are going on. Same as the Temporary Badge that circulates, it would be temporarily reinstated. If it were me, and my service was used to steal from people and sell my product by way of charlatanism, I'd make good and sure it didn't happen again.
This discussion has been closed.