**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Overcoming a challenge that was tougher than you thought it was

Mathking13Mathking13 Posts: 988 ★★★
edited March 2019 in General Discussion
So I've been exploring act 5.1 recently just as something to do while I wait to progress my roster enough to be able to do 5.3... and I remembered this time when I was doing my initial run through it...
So I was in 5.1.4 (the Life Transfer chapter) and I took the Enhanced Furies path. I thought it wasn't gonna be too bad cause yeah furies aren't too bad. But two things made it harder than I thought it was gonna be...
First, there was the Abomination on the second node of that path. Killed my Gwenpool super quick. But then I got through that with my poison-immune champ... I think it was my 4/40 hulk at the time...
Then, I realised halfway into the path that there were three DEBUFF IMMUNE champs at the end of the path... ooh boy I'd never fought against debuff immune before so this really scared me. But at the time, my 5/50 OML (yes he was my first r5 deal with it) was one of my favourite champs to use. I kept calm, baited heavies while blocking and baited some specials as well... and I ended up beating that path (yes I realise in hindsight that Life Transfer helped a ton, but it was still scary knowing i had some effectively stun immune and then some enemies to fight) and now I know I don't need to deal with it anymore on my way to 100% 5.1... so yeah I was wondering whether anyone else has had those sorts of experiences, where you went into content that was harder than you initially thought it would be, and still persevered in the end. I really am interested.

(oh yeah there was also that thing in act 4 where my first path in 4.3.6 was the short path. Ended up getting through him in 2 champs. That was pretty cool.)

Comments

• LongtimegamerLongtimegamer Posts: 179 ★★★
    edited March 2019
    Labyrinth was like this for me. Much scarier than it looked, but after it was over, I came out better than when I went in.

Same with going against hard defenders. Seems scary at first but if you study their abilities and look up guides and videos and duel a lot, you'll get used to it.
  • BLEEDlNG_DGEBLEEDlNG_DGE Posts: 324 ★★
    I experienced this with Act 5 & Variant. In Act 5, I worked my way back for exploration upon completion (starting with 5.4 and going back to 5.1).
    5.4 seemed like a nightmare. It wasn't until I got to 5.3 and 5.2 that I realised how easy a time I actually a had with 5.4. I was breezing throught it barely losing any champs on my way to the boss but 5.3/2 were a different story. Those were properly hard for me. Mentally, I assumed 5.4 to be extremely hard but with constant play, it wasn't.

With Variant, I tried one path, died and thought "screw this, I'll come back when I have an appropriate roster".
    A week later, sat down to try again (and not give up this time) & stopped with chapter 1 & 2 at 50%.
    Turned out to be much easier than my initial fear of it. Just the restrictions that truely make it difficult.
  • EpistriatusEpistriatus Posts: 1,248 ★★★★

So I've been exploring act 5.1 recently just as something to do while I wait to progress my roster enough to be able to do 5.3... and I remembered this time when I was doing my initial run through it...
    So I was in 5.1.4 (the Life Transfer chapter) and I took the Enhanced Furies path. I thought it wasn't gonna be too bad cause yeah furies aren't too bad. But two things made it harder than I thought it was gonna be...
    First, there was the Abomination on the second node of that path. Killed my Gwenpool super quick. But then I got through that with my poison-immune champ... I think it was my 4/40 hulk at the time...
    Then, I realised halfway into the path that there were three DEBUFF IMMUNE champs at the end of the path... ooh boy I'd never fought against debuff immune before so this really scared me. But at the time, my 5/50 OML (yes he was my first r5 deal with it) was one of my favourite champs to use. I kept calm, baited heavies while blocking and baited some specials as well... and I ended up beating that path (yes I realise in hindsight that Life Transfer helped a ton, but it was still scary knowing i had some effectively stun immune and then some enemies to fight) and now I know I don't need to deal with it anymore on my way to 100% 5.1... so yeah I was wondering whether anyone else has had those sorts of experiences, where you went into content that was harder than you initially thought it would be, and still persevered in the end. I really am interested.

(oh yeah there was also that thing in act 4 where my first path in 4.3.6 was the short path. Ended up getting through him in 2 champs. That was pretty cool.)

You would not have liked the “old thing” on that short path in 4.3.6

Juggs in lol, was prepared for a revive-party, but ended up being 1 of the easier fights imo.

• RapRap Posts: 3,193 ★★★★
    Beating the AQ beta quest final boss Ulton with a 3 star sig 35 Punisher and 5 150 revives...back then employees of kabam playing the game went around and recruited top players for alliances. At the time most of the alliances were build around a few friends and they wanted to organize them better before releasing AQ. Almost none of us had 4s yet, but we all ranked at the top consistantly in arena's. When we finally played the first beta we discovered we were facing 5 star bosses with 3 stars...one of our battle group had...communications issues...and wiped his whole squad out multiple times facing power nodes that had not had the connections on the other paths dropped. I had had to go on past him to the mid map juggs...then the path to Ulton all alone and by the time i got there i was the last man standing because it took me more energy to get there than anyone else because i had not been able to jump nodes opened by a path partner. Utron was at about 1/3 health and had 100 percent restored several times, just as the others thought they had him. Punisher was my biggest champ and back then his second attack was like iron fists...so i managed to tap him down to 20 percent and was sweating his restore...but after being knocked out and getting back up 5 times i took him down. So i might be the very first AQ mvp...but there were no mvp rewards back then...
    It was pretty epic! Almost the entire alliance was watching as i fought him..
    I do need to add one last thing! We had no masteries, we had no 4's, none of us had had an alpha or seen a t4c but we beat his 5 star metal @$$! Anyway! So please guys! Don't ever come at me with "get some skill" ever again! Where i am is quit an amazing accomplishment for the longest solo player in this game! And a free player...
  • Ultimatesaber32Ultimatesaber32 Posts: 742 ★★
    With the new champs and new mechanics at my disposal thinks like LOL, RTTL and ROL became much easier. Still needed some skill but it wasn’t as hard as I thought.