**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Alliance War Season 11 Changes to Off Season discussion

SandeepSSandeepS Posts: 1,139 ★★★★
Starting this thread as the announcement is locked.

Tiers 1 to 5 are locked but tiers 6 to 10 can move. Question is, if you are tier 6 and move up... do you move to tier 5 then get locked there? If not then is tier 6 the ceiling and your war rating cant go beyond X by the end of the off season.

Comments

• SillyCaitlinSillyCaitlin Posts: 535
    I would also like to understand this.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,552 Guardian
    According to the announcement, the tiers are not locked. The war ratings are locked for alliances in tiers 1 through 5 (and rating changes are reduced by 50% in tiers 6 through 9). This implies that if you are in tier 6 and win enough wars to rise in rating to the point where you enter tier 5, your war rating will then freeze there regardless of the results of future off-season wars.

However, that doesn't mean you're locked into tier 5, because the tiers aren't locked, only your war rating is locked. Because tiers have set numbers of alliances in them, for you to have entered tier 5 someone else must have gotten bumped down into tier 6. Their rating didn't change, but you jumped them. Now your rating is frozen but theirs is now unlocked, and they could conceivably win a war and re-enter tier 5, bumping you down. Again, your rating didn't change, but theirs could end up higher than yours and thus nudge them up and you down.

The interesting question is whether the war rating lock is determined by the alliance's tier or by the effective tier of the war itself. Every war is fought at a tier, even if the two alliances are in different tiers. If Kabam implemented this by causing all tier 5 wars to generate no rating changes, then this means even when a tier 5 alliance fights a tier 6 alliance in a tier 5 war, both sides are frozen. But if Kabam implemented this by causing all alliances in tier 5 and higher to ignore rating changes, then when a tier 5 alliance loses to a tier 6 alliance in a war the tier 6 alliance will gain rating but the tier 5 alliance won't lose rating, and conversely when a tier 5 beats a tier 6 the tier 6 will lose rating but the tier 5 won't gain rating. Since it is more likely that a tier 5 will beat a tier 6 than vice versa (even if this is only a small edge when rating is close) the net effect will be for war rating to slowly "bleed" out of the system. I'm not sure off the top of my head what that will do over time.
    Drooped2 said:

DNA3000 said:

According to the announcement, the tiers are not locked. The war ratings are locked for alliances in tiers 1 through 5 (and rating changes are reduced by 50% in tiers 6 through 9). This implies that if you are in tier 6 and win enough wars to rise in rating to the point where you enter tier 5, your war rating will then freeze there regardless of the results of future off-season wars.

However, that doesn't mean you're locked into tier 5, because the tiers aren't locked, only your war rating is locked. Because tiers have set numbers of alliances in them, for you to have entered tier 5 someone else must have gotten bumped down into tier 6. Their rating didn't change, but you jumped them. Now your rating is frozen but theirs is now unlocked, and they could conceivably win a war and re-enter tier 5, bumping you down. Again, your rating didn't change, but theirs could end up higher than yours and thus nudge them up and you down.

The interesting question is whether the war rating lock is determined by the alliance's tier or by the effective tier of the war itself. Every war is fought at a tier, even if the two alliances are in different tiers. If Kabam implemented this by causing all tier 5 wars to generate no rating changes, then this means even when a tier 5 alliance fights a tier 6 alliance in a tier 5 war, both sides are frozen. But if Kabam implemented this by causing all alliances in tier 5 and higher to ignore rating changes, then when a tier 5 alliance loses to a tier 6 alliance in a war the tier 6 alliance will gain rating but the tier 5 alliance won't lose rating, and conversely when a tier 5 beats a tier 6 the tier 6 will lose rating but the tier 5 won't gain rating. Since it is more likely that a tier 5 will beat a tier 6 than vice versa (even if this is only a small edge when rating is close) the net effect will be for war rating to slowly "bleed" out of the system. I'm not sure off the top of my head what that will do over time.

But here's a math issue say my allaince is tier 6 edge. We move up

Tiers are locked to a percentage of allainces.

So you can bump tiers still? Cause 5 cant just grow it has to kick people out. But if war rating determines tiers 5 edge cant progress itself to avoid being bumped to 6
    Err... I did address that specific point. Actually, that represents almost all of my post. Short version: if tier 6 alliances can increase rating, they can eventually jump past enough alliances to enter tier 5. This has to bump the lowest tier 5 down to tier 6. Once there, they become frozen and theoretically the alliance bumped can then jump back up. Right at the border, some odd things can happen in the off season.

But, as I mention in the third paragraph, a lot depends on how Kabam implemented this: by alliance or by war. If tier 5 alliances and higher are frozen one thing happens, if tier 5 wars and higher are frozen a slightly different thing happens. To put it another way, if you're a tier 6 alliance fighting a tier 5 alliance, are you frozen or not.
  • SandeepSSandeepS Posts: 1,139 ★★★★
    I understand the logic, but I think we could do with some clarification.
    Yeah, where is any of this this addressed by Kabam? I didn’t definitively understand it by the post.
    And of course AW rating determines tier, and of tier 6 can move up, they could surpass a tier 5 alliance in rating hypothetically (probably by just a few points because it would only be the amount equivalent to a tier 6>5 win)... unless Kabam is going to place a hard cap on the specific value that tier 6 alliances can attain from a win.

Example.

Let’s say 2000 is the tier 6/5 cutoff.

If a tier 6 alliance with an AW rating of 1990 enters a war, can they win 1/2 the usual number of points added to their Aw rating (let’s say 64/2=31)... bringing them to 2021, or would they be capped to a win only bringing them up 9 points, so they can’t surpass anyone in their 5?
  • Cranmer00Cranmer00 Posts: 528 ★★
    CAN SOMEONE CLARIFY THIS?

Drooped2 said:

And of course AW rating determines tier, and of tier 6 can move up, they could surpass a tier 5 alliance in rating hypothetically (probably by just a few points because it would only be the amount equivalent to a tier 6>5 win)... unless Kabam is going to place a hard cap on the specific value that tier 6 alliances can attain from a win.

Example.

Let’s say 2000 is the tier 6/5 cutoff.

If a tier 6 alliance with an AW rating of 1990 enters a war, can they win 1/2 the usual number of points added to their Aw rating (let’s say 64/2=31)... bringing them to 2021, or would they be capped to a win only bringing them up 9 points, so they can’t surpass anyone in their 5?

But if 5 cant fall and 6 can only go up half.of.tier 6 or more could easily hit 2k(cut for tier 5.
    Making tier 5 and 6 all tied but the cap on allainces in tier 5 is set to a percent.

What happens when 150 allainces are at the cut and tier 5 has a cap that pushes 80 of them to tier 6.

How does the system decide which to push to tier 6?
    Can those allainces with same war rating as a tier 5 (who got bumped randomly by the tier 5 allaince cap)still increase to 2060 ish?
    The announcement does not say that tier 5 can't fall. It says:

"During Off-Seasons we will be locking War Rating for Alliances in Tiers 1 through 5."

Locking your rating doesn't mean your tier can't change. Locking your rating is no different than not fighting wars: doing so doesn't guarantee your tier doesn't change. If an alliance gets a higher rating than you, they will jump above you and push you down in alliance war ranking, which can affect your tier.
  • StellarStellar Posts: 1,069 ★★★★
    THANK YOU KABAM !!!
    At last you took serious counter to alliance bad behaviors during off season
    The drawback, as i understand it, is that alliances finishing in tiers 2 to 5 will not be able to change tiers before the new season. It's a small price to pay. Well done :)