**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

I love the new Colossus buff but...

Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★
edited September 2019 in General Discussion
... it could have been so much better.

Overall, the new design is great but I do see some flaws.

- Colossus gains +100% power gain when his AA is reduced below 100%. That's a great counter to a lot of skill champions (BW, Taskmaster, Crossbones, etc.) but Kabam forgot that this affects ALL champions, which would make it OP. Let me explain: Pacify. Pacify is a mastery that reduces AA during every stun. Ergo, people who use this mastery will notice Colossus getting double power gain while parry stunned. This is overall bad game design and will make fighting him in AW way too hard. I think the Parry mastery should be exempted from this effect, or the power gain should be reduced to only +50%.

- Colossus has no persistent charge mechanic to transfer his AU buffs from fight to fight. Every fight you thus have to start over building up AU buffs. This is a severe handicap in shorter fights. I think Colossus would greatly benefit from a persistent charge mechanic similar to VTD: he stores all AU buffs after the end of the fight but he activates them all at the start of the next fight. This would ignore the maximum amount, so you can start the fight with more AO than 20. This would also be on top of the AO buffs you gain from X-Men team mates. However, these buffs are not permanent and will expire after 15 seconds. When awakened, you've a chance to convert every buff into a permanent one, so you'll be able to retain some of these AO buffs. This way, there is a clear progress and you'll start the fight more potently.

- When Colossus stuns an opponent, special and heavy attacks have +100% attack rating for the duration of the attack. This is shown as a Fury passive. However, this makes fight very dull: parry - heavy - parry - heavy - parry - heavy while chaining SP1 or SP2 - rinse and repeat. On a stun immune node or against opponents that punishes being knocked down, this tactic won't work. I suggest that this Fury passive is extended to all attacks and its duration lasts as long as the stun (paused during special attacks) but can be extended by 0.1 seconds per AU. When he has his maximum, that's 4 seconds extra and that should be enough to complete a 5 hit combo. This should allow both the classical MLLLM combo as well as MH combo.

- The SP3 is not as useful as the other SP's. From the fights I've seen, the SP3 was never used. His Fatigue debuff is meh and luckily the Organic Steel mechanic was added, but still, the SP2 is so much better. What I liked about the SP3 before was that the mechanic that increased special attack damage based on armor rating. He should definitely keep that for the SP3 so he can really smash his opponent into the ground, certainly combined with the Omega Red synergy.

I do hope Kabam can add these changes before the buff goes live. Colossus deserves to be great!

Comments

• Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★
    Lvernon15 said:

I agree with the persistent charge and the s3 needing improvement, but double power gain is fine while parried, his specials aren’t exactly hard to deal with, and the parry heavy heavy into special is pretty much caiw’s playstyle, and he’s widely regarded as one of the most fun champs to play

Agree to disagree on the parry. It is no fun fighting against Colossus when you need to bait specials more than actually fight. That's costly time wasted and can result in a lost kill in AW. The only alternative is not to parry at all and focus on intercepting, which is quite a shift in tactics. If Colossus becomes very popular as an AWD, this will kill the Pacify mastery, which I doubt is the intention of Kabam. That mechanic is designed for certain champions that AAR: Domino, BW, Crossbones, Taskmaster,... not regular Joe who parries.
  • simolazsimolaz Posts: 418 ★★
    Not to mention the damage cap for critical hits. It will limit Corvus as well as Spiderman Stark and Ghost.
    This (the “critical hits counter” mechanic) is by the way a common ability among the mutants (Mr Sinister is anotger example).
    Where is the logic of this? Counter the two best teck champions while making a skill champion (Crossbones) the main counter?
    In my opinion, it is against the game logic.
  • Liss_Bliss_Liss_Bliss_ Posts: 1,779 ★★★★★

However, this makes fight very dull: parry - heavy - parry - heavy - parry - heavy

Isn’t that basically the same thing as Domino? Lol.
  • LibertyPrimeV1LibertyPrimeV1 Posts: 4,179 ★★★★★

However, this makes fight very dull: parry - heavy - parry - heavy - parry - heavy

Also Cap IW and Archangle
  • TwmRTwmR Posts: 662 ★★★

Lvernon15 said:

I agree with the persistent charge and the s3 needing improvement, but double power gain is fine while parried, his specials aren’t exactly hard to deal with, and the parry heavy heavy into special is pretty much caiw’s playstyle, and he’s widely regarded as one of the most fun champs to play

Agree to disagree on the parry. It is no fun fighting against Colossus when you need to bait specials more than actually fight. That's costly time wasted and can result in a lost kill in AW. The only alternative is not to parry at all and focus on intercepting, which is quite a shift in tactics. If Colossus becomes very popular as an AWD, this will kill the Pacify mastery, which I doubt is the intention of Kabam. That mechanic is designed for certain champions that AAR: Domino, BW, Crossbones, Taskmaster,... not regular Joe who parries.
    His specials are incredibly easy to punish so you can just do that, also double power gain isn't that big of a deal anyway unless they have any extra power gain like hype
  • Lvernon15Lvernon15 Posts: 11,596 ★★★★★
    Rap said:

I miss his upper cut heavy. Don't like the red hulk heavy they gave him.

At the same time the new one allows you to chain into specials with the fury, personally I’d prefer a 2 hit heavy that can be launched in the parry duration like caiw
  • RapRap Posts: 3,193 ★★★★
    I love sending them flying, and then intercepting them when they jump up and charge back at me only to be sent flying across the arena again! Sometimes they just keep coming! Makes me smile!
  • Putang76Putang76 Posts: 283 ★★
    Rap said:

I miss his upper cut heavy. Don't like the red hulk heavy they gave him.

Ain’t that the truth
  • K00shMaanK00shMaan Posts: 1,289 ★★★★
    edited September 2019
    Definitely agree with the persistent charge mechanic. I think you can probably get away with every permanent armor up carrying over. He seems to hit fairly hard but still isn't overflowing with offensive utility. Excellent for Havok though.

I think you're overreacting though to the power gain. It will be a trait that makes him tougher on defense but he will still be a step below top tier defenders. Dr Voodoo and Sym Supreme are still melting this guy. Any tech champ with armor break won't have much trouble either. There are also options to just eat the sp3 so I'm not too worried.
  • Another good idea is to have his new sig ability to also increase the duration organic steel passive on his SP3 and his armor up buffs.
  • Kabam should also make his personal permanent armor-ups passive. It would make more sense and when up against a champion that can remove buffs, his damage won’t too gimped
    simolaz said:

Not to mention the damage cap for critical hits. It will limit Corvus as well as Spiderman Stark and Ghost.
    This (the “critical hits counter” mechanic) is by the way a common ability among the mutants (Mr Sinister is anotger example).
    Where is the logic of this? Counter the two best teck champions while making a skill champion (Crossbones) the main counter?
    In my opinion, it is against the game logic.

Skill champions have higher crit rating. It is perfectly logical based on the class system.

Only with Red Hulk synergy.
    TwmR said:

Lvernon15 said:

His specials are incredibly easy to punish so you can just do that, also double power gain isn't that big of a deal anyway unless they have any extra power gain like hype
    There is a reason why power control champions are highly valued... You need to bait twice as much as usual due to this change. What if you put him on a node that increases power gain even further?
    K00shMaan said:

Definitely agree with the persistent charge mechanic. I think you can probably get away with every permanent armor up carrying over. He seems to hit fairly hard but still isn't overflowing with offensive utility. Excellent for Havok though.

I think you're overreacting though to the power gain. It will be a trait that makes him tougher on defense but he will still be a step below top tier defenders. Dr Voodoo and Sym Supreme are still melting this guy. Any tech champ with armor break won't have much trouble either. There are also options to just eat the sp3 so I'm not too worried.

The SP3 makes you crit go down to practically zero. Try fighting him with no crits...

Double power gain during parry on a power gain node, what could go wrong? Colossus will be just another boring super defender like IMIW.
  • TwmRTwmR Posts: 662 ★★★

TwmR said:

Lvernon15 said:

There is a reason why power control champions are highly valued... You need to bait twice as much as usual due to this change. What if you put him on a node that increases power gain even further?
    He won't be gaining extra power from pacify reducing aa if you're punishing specials as he won't be stunned
    TwmR said:

TwmR said:

Lvernon15 said:

He won't be gaining extra power from pacify reducing aa if you're punishing specials as he won't be stunned
    I'm well aware of such tactic, but then the AI controls the fight and not you. It is unnecessary annoying.