**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Can we "steal" dead account usernames?

Hammerbro_64Hammerbro_64 Posts: 7,463 ★★★★★
So I'm sure at one time or another, you looked up a specific username, hoping to not find it so you can change your name to it. Then you see someone who has a 2* storm as their top and hasn't played for 1000+ days. That's sort of the situation I'm in. The person whose name I looked up probably played for a month and quit (Only 2015 champs and no titles).

So I have a question more towards mods, but also sort of players

Mods: I know I should reach out to support to actually go through with it, but is it "allowed" for you to change their name from say, "Hammer" to "Hammer." so a player who has actually logged on in the past two years can rename themselves that?

Players: If you have reached out to support about this, did they let you or no?
Just curious

Comments

• ArylAryl Posts: 1,302 ★★★★
    Yes. I did it with my IGN when they first gave out name change tokens.

And their names are flagged for a name change if they ever log back in.
  • So I'm sure at one time or another, you looked up a specific username, hoping to not find it so you can change your name to it. Then you see someone who has a 2* storm as their top and hasn't played for 1000+ days. That's sort of the situation I'm in. The person whose name I looked up probably played for a month and quit (Only 2015 champs and no titles).

Mods: I know I should reach out to support to actually go through with it, but is it "allowed" for you to change their name from say, "Hammer" to "Hammer." so a player who has actually logged on in the past two years can rename themselves that?

Just curious

It's easier to think of a new name as it takes awhile for an account to actually be considered inactive.
  • ArylAryl Posts: 1,302 ★★★★

So I'm sure at one time or another, you looked up a specific username, hoping to not find it so you can change your name to it. Then you see someone who has a 2* storm as their top and hasn't played for 1000+ days. That's sort of the situation I'm in. The person whose name I looked up probably played for a month and quit (Only 2015 champs and no titles).

Just curious

It's easier to think of a new name as it takes awhile for an account to actually be considered inactive.
    But, given the description of the situation, he's more than likely able to claim the name he wanted.
  • If you pull up various random “dead” alliances, you’ll see that members who have a “last on” of somewhere maybe around 500+ (?) days now DO NOT actually have a member name listed in the alliance roster anymore (their member names are just blank). Not sure what the exact cutoff is, thought I remember seeing some member names in an ally up to 500 while others were blank. Maybe was 1000+ though ??

So there does seem to be some timeframe that Kabam maybe has some automated cleanup (?) whereby they are freeing up a lot of dead names.
  • LibertyPrimeV1LibertyPrimeV1 Posts: 4,179 ★★★★★
    This brings up something I've been wondering and meaning to ask, could all these unused/abandoned accounts be taking up space and lagging the servers? Because if a few Champion Crystals from 2015 being left Unopened on a couple hundred accounts can cause Server Issues, then I feel like Thousands of Abandoned Accounts with even just 5 or 6 Champions each could cause Even More Lag or Server Issues or whatever that held up space was effecting...
  • phillgreenphillgreen Posts: 3,676 ★★★★★

This brings up something I've been wondering and meaning to ask, could all these unused/abandoned accounts be taking up space and lagging the servers? Because if a few Champion Crystals from 2015 being left Unopened on a couple hundred accounts can cause Server Issues, then I feel like Thousands of Abandoned Accounts with even just 5 or 6 Champions each could cause Even More Lag or Server Issues or whatever that held up space was effecting...

I dont work for compuglobalhypermeganet so server load issues are not really my thing but I'm thinking an inactive account is almost no load on the server other than a bit of storage. Its the constant back and forth communicating while actually logged in that is the cause of the load.