**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

[Android] Lag, Crashing and Performance Investigation

Comments

• Options
    Sn8kgd1Sn8kgd1 Posts: 2
    In game name Sn8kgd1
    Samsung Galaxy S10 plus
    T-mobile/wifi
    Are you guys selling to Apple or something?! I have been sending in support claims for almost 2 months and nothing. The next update did nothing neither did the small patch(may have made it worse). You want video but I can't attach a 4mb video to the complaint. I can't do war nor AQ because I just get KOd with not being able to time anything or react to anything. Should androids just stop playing the game? And no it's not by phone or network or signal strength.
  • Options
    SuperToebashSuperToebash Posts: 8
    @Kabam Miike @Kabam Zibiit @Kabam Vydious @Kabam Porthos @Kabam Lyra A thought has just popped into my head regarding the frame rate being capped at 60fps on Android devices - is this for the Summoner Showdown, perhaps to level the playing field as iOS devices are locked at 60Hz refresh rates? If so, can you confirm if the frame rate cap will be removed for Android devices once the Summoner Showdown has concluded?
  • Options
    AlphaChaosAlphaChaos Posts: 20

@Kabam Miike @Kabam Zibiit @Kabam Vydious @Kabam Porthos @Kabam Lyra A thought has just popped into my head regarding the frame rate being capped at 60fps on Android devices - is this for the Summoner Showdown, perhaps to level the playing field as iOS devices are locked at 60Hz refresh rates? If so, can you confirm if the frame rate cap will be removed for Android devices once the Summoner Showdown has concluded?

@SuperToebash, I don't think that's the case. Based on @Zuuu's screenshots from ROG 3, the FPS is half of active refresh rate. To be on equal grounds all Android users should be using a 120Hz display device to play the game. I am pretty sure majority of us are using devices with 60Hz or 90Hz displays. Meaning 45 FPS and below (maybe 30 FPS on all normal devices with 60Hz display), which means iOS devices are given an advantage. I would consider it fair if we had fixed 60 FPS and stable gameplay, but instead we are getting much less frames and random lag / stutter / freezes which is affecting the stability and our timings for parry / dex.

I am able to confirm this from personal experience in switching the game from my OnePlus 7T Pro to iPad Pro 11". I wasn't able to finish the final monthly quest in uncollected difficulty on my 7T Pro but didn't have much issue or difficulty finishing it off on my iPad.
    Zuuu said:

In-Game Name: pikapika3

Device and Model: Oneplus7 pro, Asus Rog Phone 2, Asus Rog Phone 3

Device Operating System: 10

Cellular or WiFi: both

Game Version Installed: 28.0.2 (latest)

Game Mode: All

Description of the Issue: Since july there was bug with FPS drop to half for many devices with 90hz and above. As owner of many high end devices with high refresh rate 90-120-144hz having this issue and running the game on half of what is capable my devices is very dissapointing and want the old smooth gameplay back. Not to mention game advertising that supports 120fps on many sites, so i like to report here with couple of screenshots on my latest Rog Phone 3 that can support up to 160hz, check out all of the 90hz-120hz-144hz-160hz are cropped to half fps.

• Options
    @AlphaChaos Yeah, I'm just clutching at straws trying to comprehend the reason for them sticking with a game engine update that has in effect broken the game on even top end Android devices.

Both you and I have discussed our findings before of how 60Hz now results in less than 60fps but I'm just wondering if the dev team think 60 Hz on Android is the same as 60 Hz on iOS and leaving it at that... But, having worked in software myself, issues should have been picked up by the dev team during testing of the update.

What we need is for the dev or support team to provide some answers but given there have been none so far other than it being a game engine update (where is the change log?), I'm wondering if they are not at liberty to say. Is there a non disclosure agreement on the update??
  • Options
    NOOOBMASTERNOOOBMASTER Posts: 33
    edited August 2020
    Dear madharchod kabam
    When the game connection problem is going to fix. Please clarifying to everyone!
  • Options
    AlphaChaosAlphaChaos Posts: 20

@AlphaChaos Yeah, I'm just clutching at straws trying to comprehend the reason for them sticking with a game engine update that has in effect broken the game on even top end Android devices.

Both you and I have discussed our findings before of how 60Hz now results in less than 60fps but I'm just wondering if the dev team think 60 Hz on Android is the same as 60 Hz on iOS and leaving it at that... But, having worked in software myself, issues should have been picked up by the dev team during testing of the update.

What we need is for the dev or support team to provide some answers but given there have been none so far other than it being a game engine update (where is the change log?), I'm wondering if they are not at liberty to say. Is there a non disclosure agreement on the update??

@SuperToebash I agree. I still cannot comprehend how such an obvious issue got through test and QA cycles in the first place. There was nothing added in the changelogs for the minor updates like 27.2.5 and 28.0.2. It's not even in their release blog.

I am not sure how It's fair to continue the showdown while the game is not handling well on Android. As you said, The dev / support team treating this issue as non-existent is even more worrying, as they are yet to acknowledge this issue even after one month.
  • Options
    da_sh_npatelda_sh_npatel Posts: 8
    In-Game Name: Lucifer Morningstar
    Device & model: Oppo realme 2 pro
    Device Operating system: Android 10
    Cellular or WiFi: both
    game version: 28.0.2
    Bugs: After every fight it gets slow network & disconnects..
  • Options
    AVCAN12AVCAN12 Posts: 20
    agastiya vats
    RealmeU1
    Android9
    Data&Wifi(Both)
    latest version installed(August2020)
    Special Quests(Labrynth of legends)
    I have restared ,reinstalled also but game is crashing in lol
  • Options
    BlueWarlockBlueWarlock Posts: 10
    This issue is STILL unresolved. Lag, crashing, graphical problems every two minutes. I now get a crash every time I try to use Doom's SP2, which makes it impossible to play him. How about ANY kind of response here?
  • Options
    Avenger_A1Avenger_A1 Posts: 266
    I'm facing lag/freeze/animation issues as well. Compensations are fine, but that's the minimum players deserve. I'm sure everyone would want these continuous issues to be resolved for a decent gaming experience, if not a good one. This is becoming increasingly ridiculous.
  • Options
    KristaMKristaM Posts: 1
    In-Game Name: BossLâdy
    Device and Model: LG Stylo 4, BlackBerry Priv, Fire 10
    Device Operating System: Android O
    Cellular or WiFi: Cellular

Unable to connect to my account after a couple of days. Have tried reinstalling, clearing app data, cleaning phone storages as well as using a different device (Stylo is Primary)
  • Options
    KeithstarlordKeithstarlord Posts: 3
    Getting fed up with game crashing before a fight by the time it sorts its self out I loose two thirds of my health its costing me a fortune in credits . Are kabam going to reimburse me for well over 640 credits over the past few weeks
  • Options
    EarlofbarrettEarlofbarrett Posts: 9
    Agree Keithstarlord, this is probably the most frustrating aspect of all the frustrating aspects!
  • Options
    King_8King_8 Posts: 6

In-Game Name: King 8
    Device and Model: OnePlus 6T
    Device Operating System: OxygenOS 10.3.5
    Cellular or WiFi: Issue on Cellular data. Vodafone.
    Game Version Installed: Have latest version. 28.0.2
    Game Mode: N/A
    Description of the Issue: The game just doesn't start when on Cellular data. It doesn't log in and keeps on loading. (No issues when on wifi)
  • Options
    Nayanverma_123Nayanverma_123 Posts: 1
    edited August 2020
    In Game Name:- Nayan King
    Device model:-Mi note 5 pro
    Device operating system:-Android 9
    Cellular or wiFi:-Both
    Game Version Installed:-latest herald of galactus update
    Game mode:- Network issue
    Description of the issue:- I have reinstalled the game more than 5 times but it's still showing an network error but my Internet is work
    ing good
  • Options
    ThecurlerThecurler Posts: 843 ★★★★
    It's been a month now. You guys are a disgrace. There is no defence.
  • Options
    TonysveTonysve Posts: 3
    In-Game Name: Tonysve
    Device and Model: LG G7 Thinq
    Device Operating System: 9
    Cellular or WiFi: WiFi
    Game Version Installed: 28.0.2
    Game Mode: All
    Description of the Issue: Game won't load due to network connection. Any other app or website works perfectly though. Any solution?

• Options
    GrieferMadnessGrieferMadness Posts: 109
    I'll add my voice to the chorus of those who recently began experiencing combat lag on android devices.

In-Game Name: Snark Enhanced
    Device and Model: Samsung Galaxy Note 9+
    Device Operating System: 10
    Cellular or WiFi: Wifi (not much time outside the house these days)
    Game Version Installed: 28.0.2
    Game Mode: All - Story Quests, Event Quests, Arena, Alliance Quest or Alliance War
    Description of the Issue: In-fight combat lag has begun for me recently. Gameplay stutters for a split second, and usually some input I made during that time was not recognized, resulting in a combo to the face. This does not happen every fight, but it has been frequent enough to become a major annoyance, leading me to log a support ticket and look for miserable company here on the forum.
  • Options
    JackDiamondJackDiamond Posts: 133
    In-Game Name: Jack Diamond. Team is [-OPL-] Overpowering Light.
    Device and Model: Samsung Tab S3 (SM-T825Y) (note my teammates, Fofo and Tank - they use a Samsung S8+ and iPhone respectively and have experienced the same problem)
    Device Operating System: Android 9 patched to latest available patch (1 October 2019)
    Cellular or WiFi: Wifi, and I think also Cellular (I use Telkomsel, in Indonesia).
    Game Version Installed: 1059432, now
    Game Mode: In which game mode did the error occur? All (except War, I don't play War). Also the map and menus, it seems like.
    Also affected: My teammates aakrosh2, RFN78, fofo7809, TANK86

Description of the Issue:

GAME INPUT FREEZES BUT THE GAME KEEPS GOING.

I reported this to Kabam back on May 19th. Nothing has been fixed, in fact it's got worse.

My game input keeps freezing. The game itself keeps going, but nothing I do affects what my champion does.This can last anywhere from a fraction of a second to about 5 seconds. In the first case, that often breaks my combo (so the defender then hits back and wipes me out), breaks my block or parry, prevents or changes timing on an evade, or prevents use of a special. In the second case that can lead to my champion standing there, not blocking, and so getting wiped out (or missing a chance when the defender is stunned) - or even worse running directly at the defender as I desperately press anything trying to get it to stop or block or dash back or punch.

I've been hit through my parry, I've had the 5 hit combo being broken and either becoming a heavy or me getting hit back part way through (with no appropriate buffs or whatever to allow for that). I have begun to suspect that this problem is the cause of a lot of the 'bad luck' I have had. Not all, I've recorded hundreds of fights and rewatched some of them in slomo looking for evidence of the problem; sometimes it's just my mistake, but quite often the borderline cases may well have been a 'micro-freeze', without detailed analysis it's hard to tell which millisecond I pressed.

It does seem like the input starts to work AFTER the defender hits me, but I can't be sure; it also seems like sometimes the last few inputs I did before it unfroze then get carried out afterwards, but again I can't be sure.

Sometimes the game starts to run slowly at the same time, sometimes not.

By the way, this comes up BOTH when the phone is full and the game is laggy, AND when the phone is empty and the game is not laggy. It seems worse when the phone is full and laggy, but that's not the only time it happens.

At first it was just occasionally, maybe 1-3 times a day, starting about May 9th, after the update. Now it has got worse and worse and happens regularly (multiple times a day) in AQ, Monthly and Story Events, Arena - every fight I do can be a problem. Heck, it may even happen in maps and menus, hard to tell, though that could be something else. It happens with any and all of my champs. It may happen more often with certain defenders, but I'm not sure, and it's certainly not ONLY with them. No boosts involved.

(Update: definitely happening in maps, probably also in champion list)

In 3 months it has cost me countless fights across countless areas, and who knows how many potions, buffs, and rewards. I know for sure that I failed to complete some of the harder monthly Epic or Herald levels because of this, and the Story Quest levels - sometimes I still haven't to this day, sometimes I spent a bunch of potions and buffs fixing it.

I'm not the only person - one of my teammates regularly has had the smaller (but still really awful) problems, with his combos/blocks/parries/evades broken, and three others have had it a few times that I know of.

I've recorded hundreds of fights and analysed them but somehow never catching a really obvious case, a case that showed it clearly - till now. Here it is, incontrovertible proof that the game has a huge problem. See the attached video.

https://youtu.be/VRHGHgvQwhA

Note that there's a little grey circle where I'm pressing.

Contrast about 00:01 (ie 1 second in) when I successfully block, vs 00:06 when I'm pressing on the left but nothing happens - no block, nothing, and I get hammered .
    (Sorry about the pause at 00:18, that was so I could definitely find it again)
    But the real deal, the unmissable one happens at 00:20. - note me desperately pressing on the right, over and over, but the champion just doesn't move for the entire length of the stun, until about 00:24 - ie 3 or 4 seconds. And even after that, no movement or blocking seems to happen.

Additional footage = https://youtu.be/1hzL9QfcVRI
    This and other smaller but no less problematic glitches while I was trying to do the Epic difficulty of Heralds of Galactus has cost me 6 x 40% single revives, 3 x 20% single revives, and 2 x 40% team revives, plus a lot of health potions. That's just ONE time, on ONE day. And I still didn't get all the 5* shards I was aiming for, which means I can't get the 5* crystal I was aiming for, so I can't use it in my Level Up, nor the big team SA push.

Kabam, you need to fix this. And then you owe me some serious recompense for all the potions I've spent, rewards I've missed, movement I've had to use to replay events, etc.

Here's the information I gave you on the 19th May:
    - Approximately when did you first notice this issue?
    About 10 days ago, plus or minus. Definitely after the update.
    - Did the issue persist after force closing (restarting) the application?
    Yes
    - Which version of Marvel Contest of Champions are you running?
    - What is the make and model of your device? (Example: Samsung Galaxy S9)
    Samsung Tab S3 (SM-T825Y) (note my teammates, Fofo and Tank - they use a Samsung S8+ and iPhone respectively and have experienced the same problem)
    - What is the operating system and version of your device? (Example: iOS 11)
    Android 9 patched to latest available patch (1 October 2019)
    - Did this issue occur after a recent hardware or software update?
    No - except for the game update
    - Did anything strange happen before this issue occurred?
    Not that I recall.

Related post : https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/218033/game-input-freezes-but-the-game-keeps-going/p1
  • Options
    Lyrak10Lyrak10 Posts: 7
    In-Game Name: Lyrak10
    Device and Model: MOTO G6
    Device Operating System: Android 8.0.0
    Cellular or WiFi: Both
    Game Version Installed: 25.0.0
    Game Mode: ALL
    Description of the Issue: After 10 to 15 min playing, the game crashes. I can only play 4 or 5 fights before it crashes. I can't be competitive this way. It happens mostly in fights, when Im opening crystals and looking champs, I can play for a while. Please fix the crashes during fights, I don't feel motivated anymore because of this, it's been a month now
  • Options
    Warpath51Warpath51 Posts: 10
    In game name: On the warpath
    Samsung Galaxy Tab A
    SM-T550
    Android 7.1.1
    Samsung experience version 8.5
    Wifi
    Game version 25.0.1

The game crashes whenever I use Dr. Doom's 2nd special, or when I fight Dr. Doom and the AI uses 2nd special. This happens in any quest, war, AQ, duel, etc... probably 90 percent of the time. It also crashes with other random characters, but not as often.
  • Options
    Kill_GreyKill_Grey Posts: 8,666 ★★★★★
    Ridiculous lag in 6.2.6!
  • Options
    Kill_GreyKill_Grey Posts: 8,666 ★★★★★

Ridiculous lag in 6.2.6!

After pressing the fight button on that quest, it takes an eternity before it even starts loading!
  • Options
    BigPoppaCBONEBigPoppaCBONE Posts: 2,283 ★★★★★
  • Options
    Thanks @BigPoppaCBONE.

@Kabam Miike I don't think many of us are calling for or expecting the game to run at 120 FPS. The facts are that the FPS was not capped at version 27.2.0 but has been capped at 60 FPS during fights since version 27.2.5

As has been shown in posts in this thread, there have been many issues since the 27.2.5 update and the game is unplayable for many people.

We're wondering what the reason was for capping the FPS and why it can't be removed, returning to the settings prior to the 27.2.5 update? Surely allowing people to actually play the game would be more beneficial for everyone?
  • Options
    MostWantedMostWanted Posts: 351 ★★

Device: Huawei p20 lite
    Connection: data, wifi
    Issue: node not working properly

As the node says, the defender gains passive furies until the charges are reset.
    The charges are reset whenever the attacker lands a special.
    I landed a special, but the furies didn't disappear. Furthermore, I got the Stubborn node, that forced me to block or parry some hits. Too much damage, I died. I haven't a video proof, but it always has happened (and all the other Strike Counter nodes are like this one: the effects don't disappear after a charge reset.)
  • Options
    In game name: AakashSRK
    Device name: LG Q6
    Device OS: Android 8.0
    Cellular and Wifi
    Game version:28.0.2

Issue: My game lags a lot and it eventually crashes after 4 fights. I can't play properly for almost a month now. Even the main menu lags.