**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Where are Asians in Game?

CoachBooCoachBoo Posts: 14
edited June 2020 in Suggestions and Requests
I was asking and African-American friend of mine that I wanted to start a new account and only use black characters in support of the issues in America right now. He said:
“But you’re Asian (Pacific Islander, actually), why don’t you use only Asians?”
I said:
“There are none.”
And before you make a case for Hit Monkey, he’s a monkey, come on.
Other than that, not another single champ is Asian. So I ask you, Kabam, and the Summoners... Where is the Asian representation?!?!?

Comments

• Options
    HeattblasttHeattblastt Posts: 254 ★★
    Sorcerer Supreme is Asian. She is Indian in particular.
  • Options
    Lvernon15Lvernon15 Posts: 11,596 ★★★★★
    edited June 2020
    The vast majority of marvel characters are quite frankly, not Asian, there are some, but it’s a game, champion addition is based on marvel releases and the games storyline, not on what parts of the world they’re from
    Edit: I believe kamala Khan is Asian also
  • Options
    KDSuperFlash10KDSuperFlash10 Posts: 5,869 ★★★★★
    Shang-Chi is likely coming in 2021
  • Options
    Lvernon15 said:

The vast majority of marvel characters are quite frankly, not Asian, there are some, but it’s a game, champion addition is based on marvel releases and the games storyline, not on what parts of the world they’re from

Kamala Khan, Muslim, from Jersey City.
  • Options

In Game says from the “Nightmare Realm” and “made her way” To the Temple of Vishanti. Curious where you got Indian?
  • Options
    StevieManWonderStevieManWonder Posts: 5,017 ★★★★★
    Unio77 said:

This is important how?

People like to see their race and/or sexuality represented
  • Options
    Lvernon15Lvernon15 Posts: 11,596 ★★★★★
    CoachBoo said:

Lvernon15 said:

Kamala Khan, Muslim, from Jersey City.
    I searched it up and it said she was from Pakistan
  • Options
    Motorjam said:

It's a damn game. This desire for more "representation" and "diversity" is completely unnecessary.

As is this comment.
  • Options
    HeattblasttHeattblastt Posts: 254 ★★
    CoachBoo said:

In Game says from the “Nightmare Realm” and “made her way” To the Temple of Vishanti. Curious where you got Indian?
    Her real name is Kali which is name of a Hindu Godess. The word "Vishanti" is derived from sanskrit language which is an Indian language. The name of her cavalier crystals was Hanuman who is another Hindu God. Though they haven't said about her nationality explicitly but this can be Inferred easily.
  • Options
    RookiieRookiie Posts: 4,772 ★★★★★
    CoachBoo said:

I was asking and African-American friend of mine that I wanted to start a new account and only use black characters in support of the issues in America right now. He said:
    “But you’re Asian (Pacific Islander, actually), why don’t you use only Asians?”
    I said:
    “There are none.”
    And before you make a case for Hit Monkey, he’s a monkey, come on.
    Other than that, not another single champ is Asian. So I ask you, Kabam, and the Summoners... Where is the Asian representation?!?!?

Shang-Chi is coming to the game in the coming months.
  • Options
    Pakistan is in Asian. Good catch. I will now play a whole account with Kamala Khan loo
  • Options
    shadow_lurker22shadow_lurker22 Posts: 3,243 ★★★★★
    CoachBoo said:

Motorjam said:

It's a damn game. This desire for more "representation" and "diversity" is completely unnecessary.

As is this comment.
    No not really just play the game.
  • Options
    Notsavage19Notsavage19 Posts: 2,817 ★★★★★
    Motorjam said:

That's easy to say if you're not a minority.
  • Options

CoachBoo said:

Her real name is Kali which is name of a Hindu Godess. The word "Vishanti" is derived from sanskrit language which is an Indian language. The name of her cavalier crystals was Hanuman who is another Hindu God. Though they haven't said about her nationality explicitly but this can be Inferred easily.
    I’ll give you the inference. Quality research. Just wish it could be more actual and less inferred. Thank you for the info.
  • Options
    MotorjamMotorjam Posts: 45

Motorjam said:

Funny you should say that, cause I'm Vietnamese
  • Options

CoachBoo said:

Motorjam said:

As is this comment.
    No not really just play the game.
    Back at ya ;)
  • Options
    Motorjam said:

Motorjam said:

Funny you should say that, cause I'm Vietnamese
    Just FYI. This is not a complaint. Just something i noticed and decided to bring it up for discussion. No need for resistance.
  • Options
    Unio77 said:

I just dont think bringing real world problems which cause severe problems in everyday life into a game which ppl use to escape is a good thing

I totally get that, but some people just want to be able to play as someone who they can relate to. That's why we like superheroes/villans. We see a part of ourselves in them. That's also why we gravitate towards people who are very similar to us.
  • Options
    Unio77 said:

I just dont think bringing real world problems which cause severe problems in everyday life into a game which ppl use to escape is a good thing

I understand. But know that everyone’s escape is different. I would just like the option to escape as an Asian character :) It reminds me of when I played Final Fantasy games as an escape from school stress and I would change the character names to mine and my friends. It just made it that much better.
  • Options
    Shamir51 said:

As someone from an ethnic minority, I can honestly say, the first time I even thought about this was now. This constant need for representation in every facet of society is part of the issue. This is a game. Not a reflection of the world at large.

But what if I don't want to play as a straight, white, male? What if I don't identify with any of those three things? What option do I have?
  • Options
    Shamir51Shamir51 Posts: 849 ★★★★

Shamir51 said:

As someone from an ethnic minority, I can honestly say, the first time I even thought about this was now. This constant need for representation in every facet of society is part of the issue. This is a game. Not a reflection of the world at large.

But what if I don't want to play as a straight, white, male? What if I don't identify with any of those three things? What option do I have?
    Firstly, play a game which allows you to play as what you would like? I’m sure there are hundreds out there...

Secondly, are you honestly saying that an individual’s ability to play a game is based on whether they identify with the race, gender or sexuality of a character???
  • Options
    Shamir51 said:

Been playing for 3 years and the moment my friend asked the question was also the first time I noticed. It is not about making a stance, just about making an observation and a suggestion. I love the game as is but no harm in putting it out there to think about.
  • Options
    MotorjamMotorjam Posts: 45
    edited June 2020

Shamir51 said:

But why do you have to identify with a fictional subject? I genuinely don't understand why you must need to relate. Does it make you somehow feel better?
  • Options
    CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★

Shamir51 said:

Sounds like you’re discriminating based on race.
  • Options
    Shamir51 said:

Shamir51 said:

Firstly, play a game which allows you to play as what you would like? I’m sure there are hundreds out there...

Secondly, are you honestly saying that an individual’s ability to play a game is based on whether they identify with the race, gender or sexuality of a character???
    No, it's just my enjoyment of the game would be higher if I could relate to a character. That's why toy companies make dolls representing POC. You could just argue that it's only a doll and doesn't represent the "world at large". But, people want to be able to relate to something. That's why if you can relate to a character in a book or a movie, you tend to like them more.
This discussion has been closed.