**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Dev Diary: Champions of the Contest

Comments

• Hammerbro_64Hammerbro_64 Posts: 7,463 ★★★★★

Is no one going to talk about the Easter Egg? I say Apocalypse.

It’s professor X
  • Imthatdamnbad82Imthatdamnbad82 Posts: 181
    Im actually excited for this
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,189 ★★★★★

It’s professor X
    I'd like to see both TBH.
  • Aomine_Daiki10Aomine_Daiki10 Posts: 1,610 ★★★★★
    Kabaam you guys killed it here nice work and whoever thought of the duel crystal choice with it rotating just for dungeon days is incredibly smart great job and can't wait for the magneto buff.
  • MauledMauled Posts: 3,957 Guardian
    Ambjony said:

I would have preferred nexus than class crystals. I need Aegon but I’m overload with skill and mutant champions and I miss cosmics.

However, it’s an improvement and being same price is cool.

For that one champ on its own your misses may not be valuable for you but you’re looking at a 1/50 vs a 3/170 which is still far better odds than before.

What this allows you to do is target specific elements of your roster in a way we could never do before. I for one will be saving for science, chasing both quake and wasp.
  • BigPoppaCBONEBigPoppaCBONE Posts: 2,256 ★★★★★

It’s professor X
    As long as they're the Dark Helmet versions, I would be hype for Professor X or Maker. Hopefully both will come, but they'll have to change Maker's look.
  • Timone147Timone147 Posts: 1,276 ★★★★
    Looking very promising
  • BigPoppaCBONEBigPoppaCBONE Posts: 2,256 ★★★★★
    ESF said:

So, now that I have thought about it further, I do have a few comments — nothing negative, just some thoughts:

1. I am truly hopeful that as we move forward, the concept of Defender and Attacker is removed from design considerations. Some of the worst characters to play were designed to be AW defenders, in my opinion. Not only do some of us not even play AW, it’s just one game mode in a game that has numerous other modes that require lanes to be cleared

2. If there is going to be design specific for AW defense, I honestly feel those characters should be put into a specific AW Defense Crystal in Arena and the Store and if people want to grind for them or buy them/use shards on them, great. But players shouldn’t get stuck with a poor-performing character on offense for all other modes of gameplay, ESPECIALLY if they’re not even playing AW

3. DPS and Utility are all subjective, and I don’t pretend to be a design expert. But my personal opinion is that while it can always be a pleasant surprise when, say, Medusa hits really hard, nothing is more frustrating than when a character expected to be good doesn’t perform well. I am hopeful that as this Rework Team assesses characters, some attention is given to characters who might be OK via performance data but don’t feel “right” to play — for example, take OG Hulk. I have little doubt that OG Hulk wins almost all of his fights. But the kit is just not fun to play, and my hope is that some time is taken to assess that aspect of gameplay, as well

Hulkbuster is a good start with different abilities as attacker and defender. My preference prior to his release was for them to make strong AW defenders if they want, but they need to have some solo synergies (or mode specific abilities) to make them fun in the game modes where you actually play them.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,552 Guardian

Play this month's EQ.
  • Cma1323Cma1323 Posts: 68
    Question about the class based crystals, is there going to be a limit you can get per day or round? Also Professer X of course and I will say Onslaught instead of Apocalypse, but he is my 3rd choice. I think Apocalypse will come later in the year and be out next AQ boss, but it could be onslaught as well.
  • ESFESF Posts: 1,934 ★★★★★

ESF said:

So, now that I have thought about it further, I do have a few comments — nothing negative, just some thoughts:

1. I am truly hopeful that as we move forward, the concept of Defender and Attacker is removed from design considerations. Some of the worst characters to play were designed to be AW defenders, in my opinion. Not only do some of us not even play AW, it’s just one game mode in a game that has numerous other modes that require lanes to be cleared

2. If there is going to be design specific for AW defense, I honestly feel those characters should be put into a specific AW Defense Crystal in Arena and the Store and if people want to grind for them or buy them/use shards on them, great. But players shouldn’t get stuck with a poor-performing character on offense for all other modes of gameplay, ESPECIALLY if they’re not even playing AW

3. DPS and Utility are all subjective, and I don’t pretend to be a design expert. But my personal opinion is that while it can always be a pleasant surprise when, say, Medusa hits really hard, nothing is more frustrating than when a character expected to be good doesn’t perform well. I am hopeful that as this Rework Team assesses characters, some attention is given to characters who might be OK via performance data but don’t feel “right” to play — for example, take OG Hulk. I have little doubt that OG Hulk wins almost all of his fights. But the kit is just not fun to play, and my hope is that some time is taken to assess that aspect of gameplay, as well

Hulkbuster is a good start with different abilities as attacker and defender. My preference prior to his release was for them to make strong AW defenders if they want, but they need to have some solo synergies (or mode specific abilities) to make them fun in the game modes where you actually play them.
    I absolutely hate Synergies, but I totally agree that Hulkbuster is a good mix of offense and defense

I just hate the fact that a few characters like Ebony Maw are so ineffective when you play them. Not to go down a rabbit hole, but Maw is Exhibit A because he almost can’t hit harder on offense because of how he is designed to work defensively
  • AwesomoChaosAwesomoChaos Posts: 78
    Promising changes. Of course the devil's in the details. All of these roadmaps have lots of grand plans but until we see the execution I'm not going to celebrate.

Why bother with Overhauls at all? I think usually (always?) the reason why bad champs are unplayable is because the numbers are bad. Just change the numbers. We don't need new animations or skins or kits or likely even ability changes. Seems like it'd be better to spend finite resources on other more needed changes.

(Tangent: How come Hulkbuster's short-armed heavy wasn't fixed/adjusted during his overhaul?)
  • L3X85L3X85 Posts: 13
    edited July 2020
    @Kabam Miike
    I know that 6* crystal pool is not that big right now, but as it is a lot of work to build for a 6* crystal, the emotion in opening one is even bigger. :smile:
    Can you guys at least consider this: not dual, but maybe triple class 6*?
    Thanks in advance, and for all of your hard work. I'm slowly getting amped again for this game, with this roadmap

Later edit: My idea on 5* featured, out of these 2 options, maybe:
    1. Contains the last 6 months new added champs (the 2 new go in next month, the oldest 2 go in general pool) for 15 k shards
    2. Contains top 10-15 champs community agree on god-tier and beyond, for 20k shards
    Just a thought
  • hungryhungrybbqhungryhungrybbq Posts: 2,103 ★★★★★
    edited July 2020
    This is all pretty exciting. Looking forward to seeing how things develop. Love that the team is making moves towards a long desired design shift. Moving away from using restrictive content as a means to promote diverse champion use and moving towards making more champions useful overall. Maybe we can get to a point where we use the champions we want to play, not the champions we need to play. It's way more fun that way. 🙂

And I like the fact that there are no plans to change well established favorites. There's a large portion of the community that uses champs like Ghost and Quake (and many others) not just because they are excellent champions once you master their playstyle, but also because they are really fun to play. For some of us it goes way beyond just using them as a tool in our toolbox of champions. Some of us have practiced using them for hours and hours learning the intricacies of how to use them best in different scenarios. And we each have slightly different methods. I feel like I have developed my own personal theory for playing Ghost for example. Sure, there are certain methods that we all share, but we also put our own spin on the way we play them. As we do for other characters as well. But part of what makes Ghost and Quake so popular is not just effectiveness at certain tasks, but also that their design and playstyle is unique, fun and enjoyable. We've developed a relationship with many of our favorite characters that could never be replaced by a stack of rank up materials returned to our account.

Narrowing the crystal pools is great step for the game and may help alleviate a huge pain point. It seems like we're moving into a great time for company/player relations. Glad to see all the positive changes and communication happening. 🥂
  • bloodyCainbloodyCain Posts: 910 ★★★
    About time for a more clear champion description.

There are some examples that got on my nerve seeing them not being clear at all:

1) Gambit - There is no detail saying "The rate he gains a Kinetic Charge while blocking will be slower depending on the amount of Kinetic Charge he already has".

2) Ability Accuracy addition - please make sure when use (+X%) Ability Accuracy, make is super clear. It has to be stated either a flat ability accuracy addition or addition from the existence percentage. For example, Black Widow Deadly Origin has description a flat 60% increase shock ability accuracy from her light attack while Widow's Insight is active resulting to 100% chance to activate. However, for Quake synergy with Hawkeye it just states "All champions gain +X% Ability Accuracy" which we all thought a flat addition but it was not.

3) Making sure champions ability can be reactivated when reduced by Domino's critical failure ability or other champs' Fate seal ability. There was time King Groot's cycle of getting Fury and Regen buff had completely decimated after getting a Fate Seal from Ghost Rider's fate seal and Domino's critical failure.

4) Howard the Duck's SP2 effects need to be cleared, IMO.

That's all for me. Thanks for reading
  • RasiloverRasilover Posts: 1,440 ★★★★
    5 star basics are now officially worthless
  • PotatolegionPotatolegion Posts: 290 ★★
    I really like this and genuinely hope kabam can keep this up. My only concern is the part where you said you may nerf champions. Now I agree that sometimes a slight rebalancing is necessary, but don't take this too far. Don't nerf a champion that a large number of people have heavily invested in to too much. Numerical values (E.G. the potency of a fury effect) are fine as long as it isn't taken too far.
  • BulmktBulmkt Posts: 1,532 ★★★★
    Thank God there will be an update made to Gambit

Hopefully that duped 6* Gambit I own will be a champ worth using....
  • SeraphionSeraphion Posts: 1,496 ★★★★
    About time we get clear info and some rules in champion ability.

We are still wondering how Ghost phase crit works. It says " guaranteed crit " yet things like glancing can reduce it (I know kabam once said "Cant" is stronger than "Can").

But she also doesnt crit vs critresistance from Emma or Nodes for example which a lot of ppl dont agree with bc it doesnt say "100% crit"

Time to clean up stuff like this.
  • phillgreenphillgreen Posts: 3,645 ★★★★★
    I'd love to see the entire champ list rated against Kabams spectrum.
  • Did I miss anything about quest crystals? I'm not using these anymore as 75 iso even on a 3 star champ is pretty pointless. Surely these need updating from a QoL perspective.

Also pulling 40% XP boost after getting to level 60 is frustrating. Unless of course kabam plan to up the summoner level!
  • KDoggg2017KDoggg2017 Posts: 1,202 ★★★★

I really like what I see.

And they said we couldn't find common ground. ☺😊☺
  • Capn_DanteCapn_Dante Posts: 565 ★★★

Did I miss anything about quest crystals? I'm not using these anymore as 75 iso even on a 3 star champ is pretty pointless. Surely these need updating from a QoL perspective.

Also pulling 40% XP boost after getting to level 60 is frustrating. Unless of course kabam plan to up the summoner level!

Hopefully the quest crystals and many other things are addressed in the QOL/misc road map coming out... I believe they mentioned that level 60 will be the cap but I use xp boosts during item use