**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.

Bans for Exploiting Bugs [MERGED THREADS]

Comments

• DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 20,814 ★★★★★
    Mcord117 said:

Nakuul said:

Mcord117 said:

Lormif said:

Mcord117 said:

Arsoz said:

Lormif said:

Arsoz said:

Lormif said:

Arsoz said:

Arsoz said:

Arsoz said:

Nakuul said:

Bro I was legit ready to actually spend some of my money on some Prof X/Apoc cav crystals (my 2 favorite ever champs released in 1 month, 2nd was doom and mr fantastic but I wasn’t playing at the time) but nah not anymore, not after how Kabam handled this situation. And I’m sure many others are gonna become ftp after this just like me. Not worth giving Kabam my money. I feel bad for the people banned who had the sigil because they’re losing value from it every second.

I don't feel bad for anyone that exploited. If they played by the rules, they wouldn't be "losing value" from anything.
    I feel bad for them because they have a 1 week ban, their alliances are being massively affected, and rightfully, their rewards are being removed. And if they’ve given money to Kabam before that must hurt even more. I just think that’s too much. The way Kabam handled this situation tells me that I can’t trust them enough with my money. That’s a different decision for everyone else to make but I’ve made up my mind.
    Lol yes evil Kabam for banning for exploits. I bet you think shoplifters and bank robbers shouldn't be arrested and charged either.

Let the cheaters in the game. Kabam evil, cheaters good.
    Stop comparing crimes to abusing a bug they are not similar at all
    They break rules. They are the same..
    Killing someone and abusing a bug is not similar at this point youre just talking bs
    Where did i say "killing people"
    we are talking about crimes killing people is a crime
    Not all crimes are killing people, you created a straw man argument to accuse him of a false equivalency.
    Yes not all crimes are killing people

But none of these are comparable to abusing a bug on a mobile game as its just data nothing that will effect the developers compared to shop lifting where you are robbing from a store which will affect the store owner since they dont have an unlimited amount of products unlike in mcoc where its shards and awakening gems are unlimited as its not physical but digital.

Does not matter how it affects someone, it is still a “crime” In addition that store owner typically has insurance, thefts will be paid back to them, I used to run a dominos pizza, I knew when my drivers went out that even if they were robbed we would still get the money from our insurance so I focused on protecting the drivers.

In addition cheating for resources does cost MCOC lost revenue.
    Lormif said:

Rlay02 said:

Nakuul said:

They banned the allys to with that desition....all of those that talk in favor of kabam they have a 45 lvl account...we pay a lot of money to lose the season cause KABAMS ban is faster than aegons bug to be fixed....this is disrespect to the allys that be punished without reason....

It's disrespectful to Kabam to exploit in their game. Maybe tell your members not to cheat.
    Well its their fault for making the bug in the first place ots their fault.
    So if you leave your door open I can come in and rob you and you will not call the cops? If so where do you live?
    Lormif said:

Rlay02 said:

Nakuul said:

They banned the allys to with that desition....all of those that talk in favor of kabam they have a 45 lvl account...we pay a lot of money to lose the season cause KABAMS ban is faster than aegons bug to be fixed....this is disrespect to the allys that be punished without reason....

It's disrespectful to Kabam to exploit in their game. Maybe tell your members not to cheat.
    Well its their fault for making the bug in the first place ots their fault.
    So if you leave your door open I can come in and rob you and you will not call the cops? If so where do you live?
    When you leave your house you always double check to make sure your door is locked. When a developer finishes an update they should double check to find bugs the only reason why you would forget to close your door is because you are in a rush so then its entirely your fault
    So if I don't tell my murderer that I don't want to be killed, and they kill me, it's my fault?
    Once agains this is just a false equivalency, this bug is like a cop accidentally leaving 10 lbs of meth in a jail cell with addicts and being angry at meth addicts for using it. The game is created with the purpose of addiction. It is how it generates income. Kabam holds the majority of fault here. Test what you release before you release it
    The majority did not exploit the bug, also you cannot test for every bug.
    Not every bug but please do not act like this was a complex one. The game is centered on quest and rewards. There are dozens of paths in act 6 with t2a sitting on them. You don’t get more t2a by redoing paths. This is basic. Players should not be running it more than once but more so, the game developer is responsible to ensure it has a clue what it is doing
    If the bug wasn't complex don't you think they'd have it fixed and the quest back up by now? Depending on the code it could be VERY complex. You have no way of knowing either way.
    Ok I get your point here but in my mind is what you are saying is they screwed up so tremendously that it is taking this long to fix. Every path in 6.4 has t2a. To the best of my knowledge no one is sitting on 1,000 t2a in stash. All the needed coding to prevent this is already in place
    That's not what is happening at all. Some things are harder to fix than others. You think you know what you are talking about but it's obvious you are grasping at straws.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,168 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Mcord117 said:

Once agains this is just a false equivalency, this bug is like a cop accidentally leaving 10 lbs of meth in a jail cell with addicts and being angry at meth addicts for using it. The game is created with the purpose of addiction. It is how it generates income. Kabam holds the majority of fault here. Test what you release before you release it

You know what this bug is most like? It is like when an exploit shows up in an online game and players exploit it, and then the game company bans them. Honestly, this is not some weird novel situation that has never existed in the world before or that doesn't have decades of history behind it now that we have to struggle with analogies to figure it out.

Kabam holds *all* the fault for the actual bug. So of course they are the ones fixing it. But the players who exploited the bug are responsible for their own actions, period. If anyone thinks farming rewards in MCOC is in any way analogous to opioid addiction, they should immediately delete the game from their phone. Anything else would be something between hypocrisy and idiocy.

Everyone is responsible for their own actions. If you're someone who feels that temptation is an excuse for bad behavior, you probably shouldn't be playing mobile games, and honestly probably shouldn't own a phone or be allowed on the internet either.
    I was inclined to respond to that, but I'm amiss at the comparison to meth.
    Even when discussing recovery from addiction, taking responsibility for one's actions is a part of working a program.
    Not that I see any comparison whatsoever.
  • Notsavage19Notsavage19 Posts: 2,817 ★★★★★

DNA3000 said:

Mcord117 said:

You know what this bug is most like? It is like when an exploit shows up in an online game and players exploit it, and then the game company bans them. Honestly, this is not some weird novel situation that has never existed in the world before or that doesn't have decades of history behind it now that we have to struggle with analogies to figure it out.

Kabam holds *all* the fault for the actual bug. So of course they are the ones fixing it. But the players who exploited the bug are responsible for their own actions, period. If anyone thinks farming rewards in MCOC is in any way analogous to opioid addiction, they should immediately delete the game from their phone. Anything else would be something between hypocrisy and idiocy.

Everyone is responsible for their own actions. If you're someone who feels that temptation is an excuse for bad behavior, you probably shouldn't be playing mobile games, and honestly probably shouldn't own a phone or be allowed on the internet either.
    Even when discussing recovery from addiction, taking responsibility for one's actions is a part of working a program.
    The SHADE

This has been the best day

Arguing online with strangers gives me the boost of serotonin I desperately need.

DNA3000 said:

Mcord117 said:

The SHADE
    Unintended, but perhaps. I'm waiting to see if my friend won Canada's Drag Race. ;)
  • ABOMBABOMB Posts: 564 ★★★
    With all the goodies you all got for cheating 7 days ain't nuthin..shoulda been a month.
    Take your measly punishment like a man and quit crying!

DNA3000 said:

Mcord117 said:

The SHADE
    Unintended, but perhaps. I'm waiting to see if my friend won Canada's Drag Race. ;)
    Girl, the judging was worse than Kabam's initiative to fix bugs lmao
  • DeadPooopDeadPooop Posts: 236

I don't care about what they do with SA points. I would like SA and AQ rewards to come though...

Thats funny cause i dont remember asking you if u cared...

DNA3000 said:

Mcord117 said:

The SHADE
    Girl, the judging was worse than Kabam's initiative to fix bugs lmao
    A bit off-topic, but I agreed until I saw that JBC deleted his Twitter, and Bobo let people have it on FB. The Interwebs can be harsh. Anywho, PM me and we can spill some tea sometime.
  • KDSuperFlash10KDSuperFlash10 Posts: 5,869 ★★★★★

This has been the best day

Weird
  • DNA3000 said:

You’re playing a game, if it lets you do something without hacking then you’ve played within the parameters that the maker put out.

It must be all kinds of fun playing Monopoly with you. As far as I'm aware, there's no rule that says you can't eat the other players' hotels.
    You can’t remove someone else’s hotel. So that would not be within the parameters of the game.
  • Moot4LifeMoot4Life Posts: 2,132 ★★★★
    DeadPooop said:

I don't care about what they do with SA points. I would like SA and AQ rewards to come though...

wow. pretty sure the forums is for OPEN discussion, not everything has to get approved by you
  • Rodomontade_BoiRodomontade_Boi Posts: 1,196 ★★★★

MaxGaming said:

I dont want to be that guy but I think compensation is needed for all the stuff going on

Compensation for what? For not cheating? Are you a 2nd grader who needs to be rewarded at every step of the way?

“Good job @MaxGaming !”

“That’s right @MaxGaming !”

“Here’s your 6 star Taskmaster @MaxGaming !”

No.
    Lmao the third one.. almost choked on my drink
  • KDoggg2017KDoggg2017 Posts: 1,200 ★★★★
    Sig stones and awakening gems are some of Kabam's biggest money makers.
    Economics suggests they will find any and all offenders.
    The data is always on the server.
  • BDVM said:

Lots of pro-Kabam sounding comments so far ... interesting!!!

There's no pro-Kabam position in any of this. Kabam made a horrible mistake in allowing this design flaw to appear, and that's that. If anyone is arguing differently, they are just wrong. But trying to claim that Kabam's mistake excuses player cheating behavior is a bridge way, way too far. There's some people who think we're only required to play fair if we are forced to, and if we aren't forced to play fair it is not their fault if they break the rules. In other words, rules should be impossible to break, not e
    Lormif said:

Superflex said:

The way this was handled was somewhat jarring. As with most things in life, if there's an opportunity to gain an advantage via a discrepancy or a loophole, some people will exploit it regardless of the consequences.

I think a warning for first time offenders and a 48 hour ban for past transgressors would have been a more sensible approach. Also, if the content had been properly tested prior to and immediately upon release, this situation would not have occurred. And, it's virtually become the norm for new content to have something go wrong on release, but only on this occasion players had a ridiculous advantage as opposed to being habitually under the cosh.

Perusing through the comments, some have asserted the situation is analogous to shoplifting or other similar clunky representations. I'm afraid none are even remotely in the same ballpark. Moreover, to even try to compare malfunctioning game content to tangible situations is a pointless exercise. It's much simpler to frame this if we look at problem at its root; to wit, x company has made a mistake and consumers have exploited this. Indeed, there are three recent situations we can apply this to, where the aforementioned occurred:

i) An airline company had a promotion on flights but released it with incorrect pricing. Thousands took advantage and bought tickets.

ii) A major retailer's customer loyalty scheme had a special promotion which incorrectly allowed customers to buy items for pennies if they bought just one item from a selected list. Plenty of customers bought a list item and got a basketload of other groceries for much less than what the list item cost.

iii) A major bank's ATM went haywire and began paying out money even if you had none in your account. Word got out and scores if not hundreds of account holders took advantage before the bank noticed the problem and shut the machine down.

In the first two instances, the respective companies took ownership of their mistake and allowed the customers to keep their gains. In the final case, the bank had to take the matter to court to retrieve the money from a few account holders. The judgement went their way but the payback terms made the whole exercise a phyrric victory; weekly payments of £1-2 a week as virtually all were unemployed and on benefits.

Many companies make mistakes when setting up and releasing promotions for their products. When customers take advantage of this, most companies don't bother to clawback their losses as the PR disaster that would emerge as a result could become an existential threat to their future prosperity. Indeed, this is almost always the case, albeit in the ToS of the promotion it will clearly state "we reserve the right to withdraw services and goods at any time" with a plethora of hypothetical scenarios that could make this a possibility. Indeed, not much different to our current predicament.

On a side note, I'm not affected by this in any way personally or as an alliance member and I have no motivation or ulterior motives; I'm simply expressing my thoughts as a fellow gamer...

You seem to think ther is some magic amount of testing that is “adequte enough” to find all buts, there is not. In addition the first 2 are mistakes in advertising, and a reasonable person would not have expected them to be incorrect, because you cannot know if those were incorrect or not. The third you mention the payback of the money that was “phyrric”, but that is just the CIVIL acction, you are ignoring the CRIMINAL action against those people.

https://www.nj.com/news/2020/08/dozens-arrested-in-widespread-atm-theft-scam.html
    The most important distinction between those situations and this one is that in those situations all of the losses were from the company itself. They could decide to recoup those losses or let them go, because the only loser in those errors was the company.

But when a player cheats an online game, the losers are not the game operator. It is the other players in the game whom they just acquired an unfair advantage over. In that respect it is nothing like one person getting a freebee from a company, because in that situation the person gains and the company loses. In the banking situation the bank lost money and the people who exploited the malfunctioning ATM got money. All other banking customers were unaffected.

Suppose any one of those entities said okay, it was our error so we're just going to let it go. Instead we're just going to claw the losses back from the rest of our customers. I think people would look at the policy of "letting it go" a whole lot differently.

That's unavoidable in MCOC, because I'm not talking about Kabam raising prices on offers. I'm talking about every alliance that loses to an alliance that contains players that received more rewards than they were supposed to. Every alliance that places lower in AQ because an alliance gained more prestige and jumped them. And a thousand other little ways in which players who gain unfair advantages over other players will lift their own gameplay on the backs of other players they will push downward. That's completely unavoidable, and something Kabam can never compensate for.

If people think Kabam is just supposed to let this go because they have some delusion that this is how "good companies" do it in the real world, I think they just don't understand how online games work or possibly how life works. If a company wants to let customers keep stuff they accidentally give away, I don't care. But if a company wants to give unfair advantages to some customers at my expense then I very much do care, and I suspect it would be a public relations nightmare if a company were to do that. Everyone is fine with corporations coming out behind. But when a few customers get away with cheating the system at the other customers expense that's when you have riots.

I wish these examples from Unit Mastery Marketing 101 would factor the actual real world situation into them.
  • DeadPooopDeadPooop Posts: 236
    Moot4Life said:

DeadPooop said:

wow. pretty sure the forums is for OPEN discussion, not everything has to get approved by you
    Yay here comes batman to rescue people in distress... Sure it is for discussion, discussion about the thread. I wrote a thread about rankings and points.. he says he doesnt care he wants the rewards... Therefore my answer...
    Its like going to the market and asking the price of a new york steak and having the next person in line..saying "i dont care about the new york steak.. where is the chicken..."
    Mike192 said:

Couldn’t this have waited until after aw? I didn’t get banned but several in the ally did and now our war will likely go down the toilet. Why couldn’t you have just waited to do this until after aw so all the people who didn’t exploit wouldn’t get screwed as well?

Couldn't you have just not exploited a bug?
    Are you illiterate? I said I didn’t get banned. The timing of this was just so poor and wouldn’t it have made more sense to fix the event before banning people?
    Either way, the people who exploited should have thought about that. Super happy to see the bans.
    This is what happens when you come to forums thinking you are de-escalating the situation but end up making it worse.
    De-escalation almost always never works around these parts.
    Mike192 said:

Kabam banning people for exploiting their wallet exploiting quests

How...is this...wallet explo–never mind.

• DNA3000 said:

You’re playing a game, if it lets you do something without hacking then you’ve played within the parameters that the maker put out.

It must be all kinds of fun playing Monopoly with you. As far as I'm aware, there's no rule that says you can't eat the other players' hotels.
    You can’t remove someone else’s hotel. So that would not be within the parameters of the game.
    The official rules cover when you can buy a hotel, how hotel auctions work, what to do when you run out of the limited supply of them in the game, and when you must sell them back to the bank. There is no rule that says you cannot eat another player's hotel.

I checked: https://www.hasbro.com/common/instruct/monins.pdf
    DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 said:

The official rules cover when you can buy a hotel, how hotel auctions work, what to do when you run out of the limited supply of them in the game, and when you must sell them back to the bank. There is no rule that says you cannot eat another player's hotel.

I checked: https://www.hasbro.com/common/instruct/monins.pdf
    Damn she really be pulling up all the receipts.
This discussion has been closed.