**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Warlock - Still “Beyond God Tier”?

Comments

• SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,804 ★★★★★
    Etjama said:

Healing is a big problem in this game and Warlock counters it better than anyone. That's why he's used everywhere. He's used a ton in War, he's used everywhere in Act 6, he's even used for niche fights in Abyss. That's why he'll always be above G99 in my eyes. She doesn't do anything better than anyone else.

And anyone who says his damage is trash hasn't bothered to use him. His damage is probably better than 80% of champs in this game. The G99 lovers always ignore her initial ramp-up. Warlock will be done with the first 3 fights before G99's first one is down.

bUt ThErE aRe WaYs To PlAy ArOuNd ThAt
  • RookiieRookiie Posts: 4,763 ★★★★★
    edited October 2020
    Yes
    If you prefer using Guilly 2099 to Warlock you must be pretty skilled and patient. Good for you.

But Warlock can be super effective regardless of your skill level. He does so much and it's so easy to access what he does best and that, in my eyes, is the mark of a great champion and that's what makes him the better of the two.
  • SwarmOfRavensSwarmOfRavens Posts: 1,264 ★★★★★
    Yes
    Etjama said:

Healing is a big problem in this game and Warlock counters it better than anyone. That's why he's used everywhere. He's used a ton in War, he's used everywhere in Act 6, he's even used for niche fights in Abyss. That's why he'll always be above G99 in my eyes. She doesn't do anything better than anyone else.

And anyone who says his damage is trash hasn't bothered to use him. His damage is probably better than 80% of champs in this game. The G99 lovers always ignore her initial ramp-up. Warlock will be done with the first 3 fights before G99's first one is down.

(Didn't wanna make this a Warlock vs. G99 thread, but that happened long before I got here and I'm not going to deal with people trashing on Warlock for no reason.)

You made sense up until the point where you claimed warlock would be done with 3 fight before guillotine finished one.
    Exaggerations like this make it hard to take anything said seriously.
    The only regen that can't be outdamaged by g2099 is Abyss Deadpool where warlock isn't the best option. Saying she doesn't do anything better than anyone when nodes like terminal velocity that punish crits exist is just false. Damage reduction nodes are also a big problem in act 6, guess who ignores all of them.

Really don't understand the whole g99 Vs Warlock fixation, they're both great and realistically fill different niches. I won't be using g99 if I need AAR or coldsnap immunity and won't bring warlock if I need to ramp up to ridiculous damage numbers or deal with vivified
  • Kill_GreyKill_Grey Posts: 8,666 ★★★★★
    edited October 2020
    Rookiie said:

If you prefer using Guilly 2099 to Warlock you must be pretty skilled and patient. Good for you.

But Warlock can be super effective regardless of your skill level. He does so much and it's so easy to access what he does best and that, in my eyes, is the mark of a great champion and that's what makes him the better of the two.

I'm trying to understand what you're saying. What "skill level" is required to play G2099? Since when is hitting your opponent with medium and light attacks a hard playstyle to do? Since when is ending a fight with an SP 3 a hard thing to do?

I dunno what "skill level" it is you speak of, but g2099 is as simple of a character to play as you can get.

Secondly, what "patience" do you speak of? 🤔 How does a champ that ends act 6.4 fights in around 50 hits of light and medium attacks require "patience". And mind you, this is without suicides, synergies or anything. Without wasting your time to parry-heavy; without stressing to alternate between special attacks or anything. All you have to do: don't get hit. If you're in late act 6, and you have a problem with that, then how the hell did you get there? There's always the safety net of combo shield, invisibility cloak AND a ridiculous self repair.

So what argument are you trying to make?
    Etjama said:

(Didn't wanna make this a Warlock vs. G99 thread, but that happened long before I got here and I'm not going to deal with people trashing on Warlock for no reason.)

I'd like to see proof of that ridiculous claim of yours, dude. In what century is that the case? Talk facts, and don't bring up lies because you want to look as if you're making a good argument.
    Yes
    Kill_Grey said:

Rookiie said:

I'm trying to understand what you're saying. What "skill level" is required to play G2099? Since when is hitting your opponent with medium and light attacks a hard playstyle to do? Since when is ending a fight with an SP 3 a hard thing to do?

I dunno what "skill level" it is you speak of, but g2099 is as simple of a character to play as you can get.

Secondly, what "patience" do you speak of? 🤔 How does a champ that ends act 6.4 fights in around 50 hits of light and medium attacks require "patience". And mind you, this is without suicides, synergies or anything. Without wasting your time to parry-heavy; without stressing to alternate between special attacks or anything. All you have to do: don't get hit. If you're in late act 6, and you have a problem with that, then how the hell did you get there? There's always the safety net of combo shield, invisibility cloak AND a ridiculous self repair.

The initial ramp up takes time
    You need to end fights with an SP3
    She needs to be awakened and at high sig level to make sure the digi cloak activates when you get hit

Warlock has no such requirements
    Whatever you need you can get directly from a heavy, or his specials

Also don't take it so personally dude, nobody is attacking you here. Just sharing viewpoints✌🏽
    Yes
    By the way, it can get hectic ending fights with an SP3, since her damage becomes OP after 100 hits. If you fire off an SP2 and you leave the opponent at 10 or 15% (even 20?) good luck getting to an SP3 before you kill them.
    Yes
    Rookiie said:

Kill_Grey said:

Rookiie said:

She needs to be awakened and at high sig level to make sure the digi cloak activates when you get hit

Also don't take it so personally dude, nobody is attacking you here. Just sharing viewpoints✌🏽
    Her Sig has no effect on the Digi cloak, It's a secondary combo shield and damage cap.
    Different strokes for different folks, not everyone likes ramp up champs and there's no problem there. I personally don't mind but I can see how it puts off others.
    Etjama said:

Oh, and let me add. By your logic, you must absolutely loathe champs like aegon, huh? "Initial rampup" is something that aegon basically has as well. But he typically needs more than just one fight to get in the zone. G2099 needs one, just one. Once she's done with that first fight, you're set for that entire quest.

When it comes to path-clearing, g2099 is almost undoubtedly a top 3 option in the game. Warlock isn't nearly as good at path-clearing as her. You simply can't argue that fact, cuz it's not even close.

Onto your argument of him being the best against healing. Uh, there are a lot of champs to counter healing, for your information. Some can even reverse it, and I prefer to punish the opponent's heal to a prolonged fight. If you're talking about being the best at something, someone like Doom isn't particularly considered to be the best at any single thing, yet he's a highly respected character in the game.
    Yes

Rookiie said:

Different strokes for different folks, not everyone likes ramp up champs and there's no problem there. I personally don't mind but I can see how it puts off others.
    This dude gets it✌🏽
    Rookiie said:

Kill_Grey said:

Rookiie said:

Yeah, it's all viewpoints, my dude. But the high sig part definitely isn't necessary, her digicloak is inbuilt, and independent of her sig. The awakened ability just gives an extra safety net in a separate combo shield. And I saw somewhere where someone mentioned about being cautious with your SP 2, to avoid overkilling the Opponent. If you've played around with her, you'll figure out an easy way to manage the opponent's health bar.

I don't see ending fights with SP 3 as an inconvenience, honestly. It's only once per fight you need to. And a lot of Champs are similar (Magneto, anyone?).
    Kill_Grey said:

Etjama said:

Oh, and let me add. By your logic, you must absolutely loathe champs like aegon, huh? "Initial rampup" is something that aegon basically has as well. But he typically needs more than just one fight to get in the zone. G2099 needs one, just one. Once she's done with that first fight, you're set for that entire quest.

When it comes to path-clearing, g2099 is almost undoubtedly a top 3 option in the game. Warlock isn't nearly as good at path-clearing as her. You simply can't argue that fact, cuz it's not even close.

Onto your argument of him being the best against healing. Uh, there are a lot of champs to counter healing, for your information. Some can even reverse it, and I prefer to punish the opponent's heal to a prolonged fight. If you're talking about being the best at something, someone like Doom isn't particularly considered to be the best at any single thing, yet he's a highly respected character in the game.
    Except with Ægon you can store that combo from fight to fight.

Guillotine... one hit and you're back to square one. Ægon, at least you have some combo to fall back on.

Kill_Grey said:

Etjama said:

Guillotine... one hit and you're back to square one. Ægon, at least you have some combo to fall back on.
    Aegon, who needs to be awakened for that. Compared to Guilly, who has this thing called "combo shield" and "invisibility cloak". Have you not been following?
    Kill_Grey said:

Kill_Grey said:

Etjama said:

Aegon, who needs to be awakened for that. Compared to Guilly, who has this thing called "combo shield" and "invisibility cloak". Have you not been following?
    That cloak won’t activate on specials, and that “combo shield” can’t even protect from a full combo or a special with a large hit count

Kill_Grey said:

Kill_Grey said:

Etjama said:

That cloak won’t activate on specials, and that “combo shield” can’t even protect from a full combo or a special with a large hit count
    You make a fair point, but building back up isn't as problematic as you think. In scenarios where you would get hit by an opponent's special, they are very likely already close to dead if you're using a ramped up g99.

I haven't necessarily experienced this, because her combo shield from the sig ability comes in to protect me.
    Yes

Kill_Grey said:

Kill_Grey said:

Etjama said:

Truth
    And the higher the hit count required to take a champ down, the higher the margin for error
    Which is what I meant by skilled, maybe skilled isn't the right word
    Kill_Grey said:

Kill_Grey said:

Kill_Grey said:

Etjama said:

You make a fair point, but building back up isn't as problematic as you think. In scenarios where you would get hit by an opponent's special, they are very likely already close to dead if you're using a ramped up g99.

I haven't necessarily experienced this, because her combo shield from the sig ability comes in to protect me.
    so she needs to be awakened for extra protection? So I can use awakened Ægon for this argument then?

However, the big problem would be ending with an sp3 for me. One accidental sp2 or an extra hit or degen crit, and you’re screwed.
  • EtjamaEtjama Posts: 7,981 ★★★★★
    Yes

Etjama said:

You made sense up until the point where you claimed warlock would be done with 3 fight before guillotine finished one.
    The only regen that can't be outdamaged by g2099 is Abyss Deadpool where warlock isn't the best option. Saying she doesn't do anything better than anyone when nodes like terminal velocity that punish crits exist is just false. Damage reduction nodes are also a big problem in act 6, guess who ignores all of them.

Really don't understand the whole g99 Vs Warlock fixation, they're both great and realistically fill different niches. I won't be using g99 if I need AAR or coldsnap immunity and won't bring warlock if I need to ramp up to ridiculous damage numbers or deal with vivified
    Why is exaggeration suddenly a problem? You understand the point I'm trying to make, that's all that matters. When the G99 lovers talk about her, they never mention that first fight takes for-freakin' ever. You're not gonna be seeing meaningful damage till you're 120 hits in but then they go on to brag about how she finishes every fight so fast.

As far as G99 being the best option for nodes that punish crits, Guardian doesn't crit, I'd rather use him 90% of the time. And champs like Magik or Doom exist for Terminal Velocity. Same as how champs CMM, Ægon, and Namor exist. Sure, they still crit. But they ignore the consequences that would result and again, I'd rather use them 90% of the time.

And the G99 Warlock debate is just repeatedly brought up by the people who absolutely need to prove G99 is more useful than Warlock. But there's a reason Warlock is used everywhere. G99 really isn't.
    Rookiie said:

Kill_Grey said:

Kill_Grey said:

Etjama said:

Truth
    And the higher the hit count required to take a champ down, the higher the margin for error
    Which is what I meant by skilled, maybe skilled isn't the right word
    Well, there's rarely any sort of healthpool that my Guilly would have problems with. The higher that margin of error becomes, the more ridiculous her damage gets, so it's barely an inconvenience.
    edited October 2020
    Yes
    Kill_Grey said:

Etjama said:

Ægon's combo keeps going up and up and up throughout the quest. The initial ramp-up is worth it to keep seeing growth the whole time and he gets to keep that combo even if you're punished or if you die. Let's say you plan to use G99 for a boss in a quest. You mess up once, she's no longer a viable option. And that's what makes G99 mediocre for Abyss too.

Not really, CMM, Corvus, Ghost, NF, OR, Colossus can all get in and destroy paths in a single Sp2. And that's without a slog of a ramp-up on the first fight.

And a lot of healing can't be reversed/isn't practical to do so. I can almost guarantee when you ask Endgame players who their #1 healing counter is, they'll say Warlock since his heal block is passive and works against healing in any possible circumstance. And Doom is the best power controller in the game. He and Warlock are both the best at what they do but are also extremely versatile which is why they're regarded so highly.
    Etjama said:

Kill_Grey said:

Etjama said:

Ægon's combo keeps going up and up and up throughout the quest. The initial ramp-up is worth it to keep seeing growth the whole time and he gets to keep that combo even if you're punished or if you die. Let's say you plan to use G99 for a boss in a quest. You mess up once, she's no longer a viable option. And that's what makes G99 mediocre for Abyss too.

Not really, CMM, Corvus, Ghost, NF, OR, Colossus can all get in and destroy paths in a single Sp2. And that's without a slog of a ramp-up on the first fight.

And a lot of healing can't be reversed/isn't practical to do so. I can almost guarantee when you ask Endgame players who their #1 healing counter is, they'll say Warlock since his heal block is passive and works against healing in any possible circumstance. And Doom is the best power controller in the game. He and Warlock are both the best at what they do but are also extremely versatile which is why they're regarded so highly.
    Well dude, you have your viewpoints, and that's fine. Whenever there is thread on one of these characters, and the other is brought up, we usually end up arguing, and that's not quite cool.

I understand that you didn't want this to turn into another debate, but I just couldn't hold myself from countering your point. Nevertheless, it seems your standpoint is unbending, and so is mine. I will probably always prefer g2099 to warlock, and seems you will always prefer it the other way around. We could argue for days, and never reach a ceasefire, so there's not really much of a point to arguing in general since we've done a lot of that in the past, and never been able to convince the other.
    Yes
    Kill_Grey said:

Etjama said:

Kill_Grey said:

Etjama said:

Well dude, you have your viewpoints, and that's fine. Whenever there is thread on one of these characters, and the other is brought up, we usually end up arguing, and that's not quite cool.

I understand that you didn't want this to turn into another debate, but I just couldn't hold myself from countering your point. Nevertheless, it seems your standpoint is unbending, and so is mine. I will probably always prefer g2099 to warlock, and seems you will always prefer it the other way around. We could argue for days, and never reach a ceasefire, so there's not really much of a point to arguing in general since we've done a lot of that in the past, and never been able to convince the other.
    Agreed, seems like this is the only thing we really disagree about anyways. Wanna go beat on some Domino lovers in a different thread or something?
    Yes
    Etjama said:

Etjama said:

Why is exaggeration suddenly a problem? You understand the point I'm trying to make, that's all that matters. When the G99 lovers talk about her, they never mention that first fight takes for-freakin' ever. You're not gonna be seeing meaningful damage till you're 120 hits in but then they go on to brag about how she finishes every fight so fast.

As far as G99 being the best option for nodes that punish crits, Guardian doesn't crit, I'd rather use him 90% of the time. And champs like Magik or Doom exist for Terminal Velocity. Same as how champs CMM, Ægon, and Namor exist. Sure, they still crit. But they ignore the consequences that would result and again, I'd rather use them 90% of the time.

And the G99 Warlock debate is just repeatedly brought up by the people who absolutely need to prove G99 is more useful than Warlock. But there's a reason Warlock is used everywhere. G99 really isn't.
    Exaggeration didn't suddenly become a problem, using it to convey a point like it's fact is cheap.
    If you think no one mentions it you've missed the memo, she's a ramp up champ. It's plain as day, nobody claims you'll pick her up and she'll shred every fight from the second the quest starts. Same with Aegon, he doesn't need a disclaimer that he's a ramp up champ every time he's brought up.

If you prefer using guardian that's fine, preference doesn't suddenly make him the better option.
    Magik and Doom aren't clearing the terminal velocity lane in 6.3. CMM, Aegon, and namor would eat a sp3 after the 5th crit. I implore you to try them and come back.

Don't see where you've gotten the idea g99 isn't used, the only place she hasn't been used is the XL variant and v5.
    Yes
    Etjama said:

Agreed, seems like this is the only thing we really disagree about anyways. Wanna go beat on some Domino lovers in a different thread or something?

Calling for backup @SpideyFunko
    Rookiie said:

Etjama said:

my comment needs approval lol
    Yes

Rookiie said:

Etjama said:

my comment needs approval lol
    Shorten the comment chain & you will probably bypass approval
    Etjama said:

Kill_Grey said:

Etjama said:

Kill_Grey said:

Etjama said:

I'mma go revive one of @KDSuperFlash10's threads now 😃

Etjama said:

Etjama said:

Exaggeration didn't suddenly become a problem, using it to convey a point like it's fact is cheap.
    If you think no one mentions it you've missed the memo, she's a ramp up champ. It's plain as day, nobody claims you'll pick her up and she'll shred every fight from the second the quest starts. Same with Aegon, he doesn't need a disclaimer that he's a ramp up champ every time he's brought up.

If you prefer using guardian that's fine, preference doesn't suddenly make him the better option.
    Magik and Doom aren't clearing the terminal velocity lane in 6.3. CMM, Aegon, and namor would eat a sp3 after the 5th crit. I implore you to try them and come back.

Don't see where you've gotten the idea g99 isn't used, the only place she hasn't been used is the XL variant and v5.
    Yeah, that terminal velocity path also includes spiked armor and caustic temper, so it's not something that any random power controller can do.