**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Hear me out... Ronin is the number 1 6* skill champ for non-endgame players

Black_SwanBlack_Swan Posts: 761 ★★★
Title creds to @KDSuperFlash10.

I understand that overall, Ronin is not close to first.
BUT - AS A 6*, FOR NON-ENDGAME PLAYERS, I SAY HE IS.

The 6* requirement instantly eliminates Blade. Also, he kinda needs sig OR synergies (or both). If he ever becomes 6* available, Ronin will have competition, but I still think Ronin will be better bc ronin works on his own unawakened and is more suicide friendly (blade can't get rid of Liquid Courage).

AEgon and NF need to be awakened - so you pretty much need to have either insane luck, open a whole lot of 6* crystals, have beaten abyss and gotten lucky or just explored abyss, or have explored act 6 and gotten lucky—all but one of which basically means you're endgame—you just can't get them that.

Hit-Monkey seems good at a glance. But overall, he doesn't bleed the opponent enough to be super effective on do you bleed-esque nodes. His block proficiency absolutely sucks, which is another flaw.

Taskmaster - even @MaxGaming doesn't really bother with you. Personally, i think he's pretty good but needs his sig for the utility boost, which puts him sort of in a category w NF and AEgon. Frankly, tho, who would bother awakening him? Even if he's awakened, he's probs worse than Ronin.

Killmonger is a top 5 defender in the game, and I personally think this has created a misconception that he's better on offense than he is... I mean what even are those bleeds? He gains power when he gets debuffs, but doesn't actually get rid of them? Like really???? Overall, way overrated as an attacker.

Gwenpool is also kind of overrated. She has nice bleeds and enervate (good for high level energize, surging vengeance, etc), but isn't an evade counter or a great counter for any other hard defensive champs or nodes - RONIN IS!

Nightthrasher doesn't deal enough damage. He takes a while to ramp up, is stressful, and then still doesn't have great output. Also, any rapid metabolism, tenacity, or purify renders him absolutely useless. And he's supposed to be a skill champ somehow? His basic abilities are like a science champ and his sig is like a tech champ? I mean wth is this?

BWDO is a very good champ. I love her playstyle. But in the current meta, skill means three things: Bleeds, Purify, and Crits—the first two especially. She gets some nice cruelties off the L3 but has no bleed or purify mechanic. This means that if she's your skill champ, you've got a roster hole - none of your champs can handle nodes skill champs are meant to handle, unless you want to decrease your class diversity by adding another skill champ (creating another hole).

Elsa is exactly the same as BWDO, except she can sort of purify. Still no bleeds tho.

Stealthy I absolutely love. He's my top prestige champ and I have him 5/65 at high sig. BUT - SAME AS BWDO!!! Where's the purify and bleeds!!! He has absurdly high raw damage, and is an amazing evade/unstoppable counter, all of which is nice, but he, once again, doesn't fulfill the purpose of a skill champion. If you look at cav diff, you see that in the "Skill" quest, the boost helps Ronin (a real skill champ) massively, but just power locks Stealthy. Putting him on your team means losing the ability to face the niche skill nodes.

So I've already made a super long post about Ronin (see: https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/223627/another-the-most-underrated-champion-thread), and that basically sums up why I think he's really good. He has the "skill" mechanics the others don't, has a nice perfect block chance, has disorient + passive defensive AAR. He's great on all kinds of nodes. he doesn't need his sig. Et cetera, et cetera.

Overall, for players who can't awaken NF and AEgon (so pretty much non-endgame players), in my humble opinion, he is the best skill 6*.

Comments

• Thanks_D19Thanks_D19 Posts: 1,480 ★★★★
    Nahh man hit monkey is definitely better, so is Elsa and arguably unduped nick
  • MegaSkater67MegaSkater67 Posts: 1,377 ★★★★
    Ronin is my favourite skill champ by far. I very often bring him to tier 2 wars and he’s really useful in questing as well. He’s almost always on my main questing teams, for act 6, variants, cavalier EQs etc. Really fun to play and very good at what he does. I wrote an in depth guide on him which is already linked in that thread you posted, so I won’t copy it here, but can’t recommend him enough.
  • ErocksErocks Posts: 294 ★★
    Nice title. I have to disagree with you though, HM, Stealthy and even Blade are better than him in non-endgame content. Heck i'd say Aegon and NF are as well just because they're great great investments for the future.
  • KDSuperFlash10KDSuperFlash10 Posts: 5,869 ★★★★★
    Erocks said:

Nice title. I have to disagree with you though, HM, Stealthy and even Blade are better than him in non-endgame content. Heck i'd say Aegon and NF are as well just because they're great great investments for the future.

I agree with this
  • MasterpuffMasterpuff Posts: 6,465 ★★★★★
    Erocks said:

Blade maybe but he can’t deal damage. As for stealth, he is the master of being overrated.
  • Realm_Of_RahRealm_Of_Rah Posts: 430 ★★★
    Nah...
  • PalanthraxPalanthrax Posts: 918 ★★★★
    I love Ronin’s design, animations, and the fluid way he plays. I also love the double kick on the last medium which feels just like Ægon’s.
  • Lovejoy72Lovejoy72 Posts: 1,858 ★★★★
    Elsa, BWDO, and Ronin all have the same component that I expect now from modern skill champs: I have no idea how they work. So, to my mind they are all equally great! Or awful. How would I know?
    Great post though, I pulled 5* ronin on one of my alt accounts, was hoping he had uses.
  • TP33TP33 Posts: 1,593 ★★★★
    Bleed these days is more a curse than a blessing. Other than “do you bleed” I can’t see it being a proper advantage over other debuffs (and even then there are nodes that boost up champions with more ‘rare’ damaging debuffs). Also look at OR and Elsa Bloodstone, both turn bleeds into negatives.

Also bleed is the debuff with the most common resistance/immune champions with 34. (Poison has the same but it also doesn’t have champions like OR, Elsa bloodstone and Havok who directly turn it into a negative and whom I didn’t include onto that 34)

There’s even 2 special masteries reducing its duration and potency by 30%

Overall I think yes, Ronin is the perfect “old” skill champ. However in the new meta and age of the game, Elsa Bloodstone is.
  • MaxGamingMaxGaming Posts: 3,204 ★★★★★
    I was going to disagree but then I saw some love for taskmaster so instead :cookie: 🍔🍟🍕🌭🌯🌮🍗
  • Kill_GreyKill_Grey Posts: 8,666 ★★★★★

Erocks said:

Blade maybe but he can’t deal damage. As for stealth, he is the master of being overrated.
    Bro, you're like pretty much the only person I've seen on here who loathes Stealthy 😂
    Kill_Grey said:

Erocks said:

Bro, you're like pretty much the only person I've seen on here who loathes Stealthy 😂
    I don’t like champs who’s only utility is slow and anti-miss. The anti miss is very valuable, but slow is becoming more and more common and there are many more champs I would rather use for slow. Plus if I need big damage I will use Ghost, Ronin, or Mags or someone who has health.
  • NiceeeeNiceeee Posts: 125 ★★
    Even though I am a big fan of Ronin, I will have to disagree with you.
    It's not that Ronin isn't the #1 6* skill champ unawakened (of course he is), but I don't like the way you tried to promote Ronin, by downgrading other champs

@Masterpuff did a far better job explaining why Ronin is a great champion to rank up (don't take it personal)

And the part where you are saying that skill champs must have: Bleed, Purify, Crits, it's not that accurate.

15 out of 32 Skill champs can bleed
    9 out of 32 Skill champs can purify a debuff

As far as the Crit goes, Corvus and Ghost would like to have a word with you. The ability to crit isn't class specific at all
    RDMN said:

I use him in tons of endgame content as well.

What content? Genuinely curious as there's no real endgame gameplay I can find of him
    I used him for more lanes of act 6 exploration than I did Stealthy and Aegon, and I used him for a decent 1/3 of the act. He is also really good for the GM with his bleeds for the missions, really good heavy spacing capable of heavy countering the GM, and really high Crit rate. I also use him in t2/3 as as well as I have used him for various lanes of cav eq and side quest.