**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Thronebreaker Requirements... 8 Months Later

EtjamaEtjama Posts: 7,981 ★★★★★
Well a thread from December just got necroed and it got me thinking again about TB requirements, thought I'd share them here.

Now when this title was first announced 8 months ago, I was pretty pissed. To be completely honest, it seemed like a load of BS to me, but fast-forward to April and I'm pretty fine with the requirements. Granted, I am Thronebreaker now, I have 2 R3's in fact. Is that why I feel differently? Or has my overall view just changed with time? Well you're just gonna have to take my word for it when I say... neither of those actually. Bring me back to the day it was announced and I'd still be a bit pissed.

So what's really changed my mind on TB requirements at this point in time? It's really just the state of the game. 8 months ago, we had a 25% T5CC selector with Act 6 completion. That's it. As far as T5CC selectivity was, that is all there was. Really. Being able to R3 a solid champion was just so completely based on RNG, and it did not feel fair to me, even after I became TB.

Nowadays there's not just more T5CC available, (3 random 25%s in the latest Variants including next month's, 25% in 7.1 completion, more available in side quests) but there's much more selectivity. Of course 7.1 exploration gives a 25% selector and I assume that pattern is going to follow throughout the other 3 chapters. But what's really pushed me over the edge is the latest changes to Cav difficulty. A 10% Nexus each month is exactly what we needed in my opinion, it gives us what the chance to target a specific T5CC, especially when combined with the previously mentioned selector and more to come.

Granted, getting R3 worthy 6*s is still very much luck based, but that problem is much less important when you can target a specific T5CC. Even with only 1 R3 worthy 6* in your roster, it's now pretty feasible to be able to get that champ to R3. And that's more than enough for me personally.

So what are your thoughts 8 months later? (Please keep this discussion logical, not emotional. We don't want a repeat of the recently necroed thread.)

Comments

• Options
    Kill_Grey said:

Definitely sad for those people who have a tier 5 cc of a particular class and not a single 6* in such class!

For sure, super sad to see. Really hope they get what they need but at least they can have a way easier time targeting T5CC from a class they already have a solid champ in now.
  • Options

Very truthful mr jama. T5cc has definitely become more accessible and more shards in general from things like sq-> more crystals-> more chance to get champs for progression like abyss or 7.1

Thank you very much, Mr. Thiccy.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Didn't think the requirements were high enough when it was introduced. Still don't think they are.

I can actually agree with that depending on what exactly you mean by not high enough. I'd have been completely fine if they locked TB behind difficult content. Locking it behind something like more R3's would've just been absolutely horrible imo.
  • Options
    Will3808Will3808 Posts: 3,536 ★★★★★
    I definitely agree with you. I’m personally still halfway to forming my first t5cc so I’ve got a ways to go to get thronebreaker but I think with the current state of the game the requirement is definitely fair.
  • Options

It's almost like progression titles are meant to be more accessible the longer they are available.

Most of the knee jerk reactions in that thread failed to take into account the long game and felt like they needed to be tb immediately which negates the whole point of progression based titles.

I was fortunate enough to have 2 r3s from abyss completion and act 6 exploration before thronebreaker was introduced. Thinking back I'd have taken a dud as my first r3 for the title, since then I'm now sitting on 4 different t5cc and about to form another class.

Map 7 and glory store gives enough t5cc weekly that I used to skip previous cav eqs because the rewards didn't feel worth. Having it be a selector makes it much more worth for those trying to form specific t5cc.

Then there's the variants which are generally easier with much better rewards and 7.1 that gave a selector. At this point I don't really see getting the title as a problem if you're actually interested in working for it

Of course progression titles should be easier to get with time, but I think that time should have way more to do with your roster/ability to get the content done improving rather than the state of the game having to take it's time and change.

I agree now that if you really want TB, you can get the content done and get yourself in shape, but that was definitely not the case when the title was first released.
  • Options
    RockypantherxRockypantherx Posts: 3,900 ★★★★★

Didn't think the requirements were high enough when it was introduced. Still don't think they are.

People like Agent X zzz and Rockypanther who have explored abyss and in Agent’s case is insane at the game
    Ouch.

But entirely fair.

Very much agree Etjama. The difference between then and now isn’t the quantity of T5CC, it’s the autonomy that players have over their T5CC through the available selectors and nexus’ that makes all the difference

Now all they need to do is introduce the dual class crystals for shards and we’ll be golden

(Please let me use my 2 Cosmic T5CC. Please. Not to mention the skill, science and mystic I also have in my stash)
  • Options
    MasterpuffMasterpuff Posts: 6,466 ★★★★★
    Etjama said:

I actually agree with you on this one. However, 3 r3s and 100% act 6 is dumb. People like Agent X zzz and Rockypanther who have explored abyss and in Agent’s case is insane at the game, dont even have 3 r3’s. Agent just finally got his 3rd i think.

Originally, i had mixed feelings. Mostly due to the RNG. I have been TB since the start and I explored Act 6 before the title.

Now, i have realized the requirement is definitely too easy. The amount of people ive seen who have only done completion of Act 6/7 and not even explored it who are TB pains me. I struggle to see how you(Worknprogress) and I get the same rewards as those people. It doesnt mean they are bad players, they just shouldnt be in the same progression bracket.

Looking back, T5CC is not that hard to come by, especially if you use cash. As Etjama outlined.

So for me, I would have preferred to have seen TB gated in Act 6 Exploration or in Abyss exploration.

Why not later in Act 7? Because Act 7 is too easy. It is what we all(most of us?) asked for: fun content. But it is no where near challenging. And neither is 7.2.

Act 6 Exploration is a very hard thing to accomplish, even after the Act 6 nerf.(Most of which shouldnt have been put in place if you ask me.) But Act 6 Exploration is the best thing i can think of in Story Content. It would also make an incentive to explore it. What are those TB people who got lucky gonna explore act 6 for? They have t5cc from glory and calendar.

Abyss would be the more painful gateway, but it would also limit the amount of people even further. Personally, id rather keep it in Story.

Anyways, thats my opinion. Shouldve been Act 6 Exploration.
    This I can definitely see and agree with... mostly. My only problem with that is really the... Cavalier requirements I guess? The gap between 6.1 completion and 6.4 exploration is extremely large and I don't see how someone someone who just beat 6.1 Sentinel should get the same rewards as someone who's explored almost all content in the game. I think Kabam was itching to put out a new progression title and put Cav out way too early.
    It should have been 6.2. It is probably the hardest content in the game. And 6.1 is kinda a joke.
  • Options

Etjama said:

I actually agree with you on this one. However, 3 r3s and 100% act 6 is dumb. People like Agent X zzz and Rockypanther who have explored abyss and in Agent’s case is insane at the game, dont even have 3 r3’s. Agent just finally got his 3rd i think.

Originally, i had mixed feelings. Mostly due to the RNG. I have been TB since the start and I explored Act 6 before the title.

Now, i have realized the requirement is definitely too easy. The amount of people ive seen who have only done completion of Act 6/7 and not even explored it who are TB pains me. I struggle to see how you(Worknprogress) and I get the same rewards as those people. It doesnt mean they are bad players, they just shouldnt be in the same progression bracket.

Looking back, T5CC is not that hard to come by, especially if you use cash. As Etjama outlined.

So for me, I would have preferred to have seen TB gated in Act 6 Exploration or in Abyss exploration.

Why not later in Act 7? Because Act 7 is too easy. It is what we all(most of us?) asked for: fun content. But it is no where near challenging. And neither is 7.2.

Act 6 Exploration is a very hard thing to accomplish, even after the Act 6 nerf.(Most of which shouldnt have been put in place if you ask me.) But Act 6 Exploration is the best thing i can think of in Story Content. It would also make an incentive to explore it. What are those TB people who got lucky gonna explore act 6 for? They have t5cc from glory and calendar.

Abyss would be the more painful gateway, but it would also limit the amount of people even further. Personally, id rather keep it in Story.

Anyways, thats my opinion. Shouldve been Act 6 Exploration.
    This I can definitely see and agree with... mostly. My only problem with that is really the... Cavalier requirements I guess? The gap between 6.1 completion and 6.4 exploration is extremely large and I don't see how someone someone who just beat 6.1 Sentinel should get the same rewards as someone who's explored almost all content in the game. I think Kabam was itching to put out a new progression title and put Cav out way too early.
    It should have been 6.2. It is probably the hardest content in the game. And 6.1 is kinda a joke.
    Yeah, 6.2 at least imo. 6.1 just had Xbones and now even he's nerfed, Arc Overload instead of Vigor just means any poison immune/pseudo immune will work. If you can complete 6.2, there's a very good chance you can do everything else.
  • Options

People like Agent X zzz and Rockypanther who have explored abyss and in Agent’s case is insane at the game
    Ouch.

But entirely fair.

Very much agree Etjama. The difference between then and now isn’t the quantity of T5CC, it’s the autonomy that players have over their T5CC through the available selectors and nexus’ that makes all the difference

Now all they need to do is introduce the dual class crystals for shards and we’ll be golden

(Please let me use my 2 Cosmic T5CC. Please. Not to mention the skill, science and mystic I also have in my stash)
    Yes, dual class please. Also RIP.
  • Options
    Etjama said:

Ouch.

But entirely fair.

My comment went to the abyss, but i think 3 class crystals are more reasonable.
  • Options
    SwarmOfRavensSwarmOfRavens Posts: 1,264 ★★★★★
    Etjama said:

It's almost like progression titles are meant to be more accessible the longer they are available.

Most of the knee jerk reactions in that thread failed to take into account the long game and felt like they needed to be tb immediately which negates the whole point of progression based titles.

I was fortunate enough to have 2 r3s from abyss completion and act 6 exploration before thronebreaker was introduced. Thinking back I'd have taken a dud as my first r3 for the title, since then I'm now sitting on 4 different t5cc and about to form another class.

Map 7 and glory store gives enough t5cc weekly that I used to skip previous cav eqs because the rewards didn't feel worth. Having it be a selector makes it much more worth for those trying to form specific t5cc.

Then there's the variants which are generally easier with much better rewards and 7.1 that gave a selector. At this point I don't really see getting the title as a problem if you're actually interested in working for it

Of course progression titles should be easier to get with time, but I think that time should have way more to do with your roster/ability to get the content done improving rather than the state of the game having to take it's time and change.

I agree now that if you really want TB, you can get the content done and get yourself in shape, but that was definitely not the case when the title was first released.
    Getting thronebreaker always involved your roster/ability to get content done. Abyss initial completion still remains the easiest way to form a t5cc unit wise.

The state of the game changing made forming a t5cc through alternative means more feasible over a longer period of time but It didn't change who the title was initially geared towards.

When it was first released had they initially changed the requirement to act 6 exploration or abyss completion people would've still complained about having it locked behind exploring bad content or not enjoying drawn out abyss style content.
  • Options

Etjama said:

Ouch.

But entirely fair.

I was honestly thinking they could release duals and increase the shard price.
  • Options
    VendemiaireVendemiaire Posts: 2,178 ★★★★★
    The outrage was due to it being released before the impending Cyber Weekend. A lot of summoners wanted to be TB as soon as possible, while their accounts were not ready due to either RNG or lack of content done. No one wanted to buy the lesser deals and we saw how almost-Thronebreaker Cavs were shafted.

I didn't care because I just got Cav that time. And while I was on my way to becoming TB, I never once thought it was an unfair requirement. I actually find the grind fun even though I was shafted by RNG. I have explored 7.1, V5, V6, and 6.1 then did all the 4* challenges and other stuff that gave out T5CC frags but I still haven't form a single one. I'm close to forming three though. Lol. I didn't buy any of the T5CC offers and I only traded energy refills last Gifting season to make the grind so much worth it. Now I have to go to the Abyss next week because it's easier than 6.2 exploration.

Right now, those who still despise it are those who value the destination rather than the journey.
  • Options
    Etjama said:

Etjama said:

Ouch.

But entirely fair.

I was honestly thinking they could release duals and increase the shard price.
    Maybe. I guess a featured and a shard crystal are about equal in value.
  • Options

Etjama said:

Getting thronebreaker always involved your roster/ability to get content done. Abyss initial completion still remains the easiest way to form a t5cc unit wise.

The state of the game changing made forming a t5cc through alternative means more feasible over a longer period of time but It didn't change who the title was initially geared towards.

When it was first released had they initially changed the requirement to act 6 exploration or abyss completion people would've still complained about having it locked behind exploring bad content or not enjoying drawn out abyss style content.
    It had something to do with your roster/ability to do content but the main problem overall is that it was still so easy to get absolutely shafted. Like I brought out, a 25% selector from Act 6 completion is all the selectability we had. You could explore all content in the game and still not have a half-decent T5CC/champ combo for a R3.
  • Options
    IKONIKON Posts: 1,336 ★★★★★
    TB just came out too late for it to be difficult for end gamers. I'm hopeful the next progression title is released sooner.
  • Options
    VendemiaireVendemiaire Posts: 2,178 ★★★★★
    edited April 2021

I know someone who is now at 95% of a Tech T5CC for his Ghost but hasn't touched 6.2, Cav EQ Exploration nor any of the Variants. He also had the audacity of telling me he got it from content when he can't even bait or dex a special. Lol.
  • Options
    king_ov_scrubsking_ov_scrubs Posts: 396 ★★★
    pretty sure thronebreaker came out closer to 6 months ago not 8. i think the 2 month discrepancy is important to note
  • Options
    DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 21,038 ★★★★★
    It's was way too easy back in October and it's it's still easy to this day. I'm my case, I became TB about 2 or 3 weeks after the initial release. I now have 7 R3's. I still haven't 100% Act 6 or Abyss and just got done with 100% 7.1. Aside from CW and maybe 2 offers (which were small amounts), my content levels are the same. It's from AQ.
  • Options

A lot of summoners wanted to be TB as soon as possible, while their accounts were not ready due to either RNG or lack of content done.

See that was my only problem with the title. No one should be deemed unready because of RNG. Even if your roster is horrible, skills or quite frankly, units would always get you through the content you needed to get through for the progression titles. Then suddenly you could have a great roster combined with both skills and units, and there's a pretty good chance it's still not enough to get you what you need? That never sat right. Gladly, the RNG aspect has since been somewhat solved imo.
  • Options

pretty sure thronebreaker came out closer to 6 months ago not 8. i think the 2 month discrepancy is important to note

Just looked to make sure and yeah, you're right. Completely messed up on my end but the amount of time really doesn't effect any of the points I was trying to bring up.